Neilson's failings during season 2021/2

lost in space

Ford Prentice
44 minutes ago, DS98 said:

One of our failings so far this season is corners. Just checked and we have had THIRTY FIVE corners in the 4 group games and I can’t even remember a decent chance created from them let alone a goal. Can we stop with the outswingers every single time? Clearly not working. 

The stats say very few goals come from corners at any level of football. Don't understand why players get a round of applause for winning them when the better option (unless they have no support at all) is to keep the ball in play.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

upgotheheads
40 minutes ago, DS98 said:

One of our failings so far this season is corners. Just checked and we have had THIRTY FIVE corners in the 4 group games and I can’t even remember a decent chance created from them let alone a goal. Can we stop with the outswingers every single time? Clearly not working. 

Corners ain't what they used to be and probably never were. About 2.5% of corners lead directly to a goal which is why teams are taking short corners more often than they used to. I agree though that we don't seem to have players who can whip in a really good corner into the right place on a consistent basis. I don't agree about out swingers though, it seems to me that a ball moving away from the goalie and the defenders and towards the attackers is more dangerous than the other way round. A good corner should always put the goalie in two minds whether to come or stay, and it really annoys me when it goes straight to him, goalies always get the benefit of the doubt if he's challenged. 

Unknown user
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Your opening statement has been uttered many times on this thread alone and it simply isn’t true. 

How do you know? You don't speak for all Hearts fans.

It may not be true for you but I agree with him - at times it feels like some Hearts fans want Robbie to fail.

47 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Corners ain't what they used to be and probably never were. About 2.5% of corners lead directly to a goal which is why teams are taking short corners more often than they used to. I agree though that we don't seem to have players who can whip in a really good corner into the right place on a consistent basis. I don't agree about out swingers though, it seems to me that a ball moving away from the goalie and the defenders and towards the attackers is more dangerous than the other way round. A good corner should always put the goalie in two minds whether to come or stay, and it really annoys me when it goes straight to him, goalies always get the benefit of the doubt if he's challenged. 

I don’t mind out swingers in general. But it’s been every one. Sometimes an in swinger with everyone on top of the goalie or a short one to move players about. I know corners rarely lead to goals these days. It was just something I noticed during these games that we’ve had loads of them but not even a half chance on goal. 

58 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

The stats say very few goals come from corners at any level of football. Don't understand why players get a round of applause for winning them when the better option (unless they have no support at all) is to keep the ball in play.

All true. 35 corners without a meaningful attempt on goal is quite an achievement though. 

On 26/07/2021 at 08:09, frankblack said:

What is the mathematical probability of winning either cup without facing one of them based on the past 50 years of results?  I'd expect very low, but go on and prove me wrong.

25% of our Scottish Cup wins in the post war era were achieved without having to play either Rangers or Celtic.

I'm aware that's not strictly what you asked, but a comparable stat anyway.

This season, our chances of winning the league cup have been greatly reduced now that we are playing Celtic away, rather than Ayr United.

I think that's what most folk commenting in that manner on this thread are annoyed about, especially when there is a belief among some that a seeded place was achievable going into our final game.

2 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Deleted. Double post

Edited by Busby8

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

It may not be true for you but I agree with him - at times it feels like some Hearts fans want Robbie to fail.

Some(many in fact) want him out. That’s a whole world away from wanting Hearts to fail so that happens

Failures - didn't like his hair in the last interview, couple of hairs sat too far to the left than I wanted.

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

25% of our Scottish Cup wins in the post war era were achieved without having to play either Rangers or Celtic.

This season, our chances of winning the league cup have been greatly reduced now that we are playing Celtic away, rather than Ayr United.

I think that's what most folk commenting in that manner on this thread are annoyed about, especially when there is a belief among some that a seeded place was achievable going into our final game.

Even in 1998, although we had to beat Rangers in the final, look at our route to the final -  Clydebank, Albion Rovers, Ayr, Falkirk - probably the easiest route to a final in the history of the competition.  

There’s no doubt an easy draw increases your chances of winning a cup and history tells us that if we get drawn away at either Ibrox or Celtic Park we almost always lose.   I’d always take an easy draw all the way to the final then take our chances against either Rangers or Celtic in the final - even bigger bonus if they’re both knocked out as well (like in 2006 when didn’t play either).

10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Your opening statement has been uttered many times on this thread alone and it simply isn’t true. I don’t rate Neilson. I don’t support him. I don’t go along to Tynecastle to watch him work. I’m not behind him.  iMO the job is way too big for him and we’d be better off if he wasn’t here,but that’s a sideshow. I want Hearts to win week in week out and if that’s under Neilson, so be it. All good.

This.

Just because you don't think Neilson is the man for the job and think we'd be better off replacing him doesn't mean you want Hearts to lose so you can say I told you so.

If Hearts to well under Neilson then happy days, great, fantastic even. I'd still believe we'd have done more with a better (imo) manager but I'm certainly not hoping we lose so I can say I told you so...I mean what would even be the point in that, those that you'd be saying it to are so blinded that it wouldn't even register anyway.

I hope he has an excellent season.

Bazzas right boot

Robbies biggest failing is not going full Al Pacino in that disciplinary scene in the film " A scent of a women". 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Taffin said:

This.

Just because you don't think Neilson is the man for the job and think we'd be better off replacing him doesn't mean you want Hearts to lose so you can say I told you so.

If Hearts to well under Neilson then happy days, great, fantastic even. I'd still believe we'd have done more with a better (imo) manager but I'm certainly not hoping we lose so I can say I told you so...I mean what would even be the point in that, those that you'd be saying it to are so blinded that it wouldn't even register anyway.

I hope he has an excellent season.

Folk have said on this board they want us to be poor so it quickens the sacking of Neilson. 

Folk have also admitted in the past to wanting the likes of hibs and celtic to beat us so it would get CL the sack. 

There are/ have been posters who have openly stated they want Hearts to get beat. 

We lost to ****ing Brora and he didn't get sacked so I won't be one of those hoping we lose to Celtic.

2 hours ago, Busby8 said:

Two of the seeded teams got awarded 3-0 wins due to Covid, and we won all 4 of our matches.  Surely that is more relevant than panicking over drawing Celtic?

If we can get ourselves together now is the perfect time to draw Celtic.  They won't have a capacity crowd and those that are there may be on the manager's back if they have been emptied from the CL.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Some(many in fact) want him out. That’s a whole world away from wanting Hearts to fail so that happens

So? The guy says that's how it feels sometimes, I agree

If Neilson gets sacked this season, it's not going to be until around a quarter of the way in. Then we'll have about a month before we get someone else in, which will lead to another month or two before things settle down to the new way and we play catch up.  Basically, if he gets sacked, we get the joys of writing off yet another season. 

Can people not just hope that he gets it right this season instead of constant ill-wishing? 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Folk have said on this board they want us to be poor so it quickens the sacking of Neilson. 

Folk have also admitted in the past to wanting the likes of hibs and celtic to beat us so it would get CL the sack. 

There are/ have been posters who have openly stated they want Hearts to get beat. 

Only one or two have posted that over the last few years, Tosh.

Everyone else wants Hearts to succeed but don't believe we will with Budge, Neilson...at the helm.

Said it before, I'd be delighted if I'm wrong and Robbie Neilson's Hearts finish in Euro places and win🏆's in the years ahead. 

I would suggest 99.99% of Budge/Neilson doubters would agree.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, martoon said:

Only one or two have posted that over the last few years, Tosh.

Everyone else wants Hearts to succeed but don't believe we will with Budge, Neilson...at the helm.

Said it before, I'd be delighted if I'm wrong and Robbie Neilson's Hearts finish in Euro places and win🏆's in the years ahead. 

I would suggest 99.99% of Budge/Neilson doubters would agree.

Nah, because last time he had us 3rd and in around 2nd and folk were still greeting and filling their pants, planes and bed sheets were oot. 

History shows that you are wrong about some, it's more than 1 or 2 as well. 

It's not results based for these sorts, that is clear. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, because last time he had us 3rd and in around 2nd and folk were still greeting and filling their pants, planes and bed sheets were oot. 

Most were perplexed by the plane. I know I was.

It is still a minority who dislike Neilson for no logical reason.

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It may be the long hair jealousy from the baldies that is driving this

Those shall we say 'short of growth' are taking out their frustration on our manager  :afro:

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

The plane was booed at the game. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, martoon said:

Yip. 

Some also hate budge, pure guess work but probably a few banned under her tenure. 

It's a minority, but a noisey, persistent bunch. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Those shall we say 'short of growth' are taking out their frustration on our manager  :afro:

Boy has played for us for ten years, now manages us. 

Cup winner as a player , he's a trophy away from being a legend. The rabid don't want this. 

2 penalties was the difference, and there wouldn't even be a discussion about him ever again. 

Apart from Hearts sticking it right up everybody had we won the sc, imagine this place. Bliss. 

It was our brexit moment 🤣

13 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

It was. 

Got pointed at a lot, too. 😄

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. 

Some also hate budge, pure guess work but probably a few banned under her tenure. 

Fair enough, Tosh.

31 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Five years ago and your still hanging on to it for grim death

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Everything is fair game on match day! 

😜

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Has any Hearts fan ever posted that on here?

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Boy has played for us for ten years, now manages us. 

Cup winner as a player , he's a trophy away from being a legend. The rabid don't want this. 

2 penalties was the difference, and there wouldn't even be a discussion about him ever again. 

Apart from Hearts sticking it right up everybody had we won the sc, imagine this place. Bliss. 

It was our brexit moment 🤣

The “rabid” don’t want what Tosh?

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. 

Noisey and persistent are your middle names Tosh! 😉

13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Absolutely. Someone said it last week. Sorry don’t recall poster

Just now, Jamhammer said:

Absolutely. Someone said it last week. Sorry don’t recall poster

Can somebody copy in that post please?

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Couldn't tell you.

I would draw your attention to "Sometimes it feels like" though

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Couldn't tell you.

I would draw your attention to "Sometimes it feels like" though

Yes Smithie I know - others have said that it has been posted on here….

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

This thread deserves a

billie-piper-i-hate-suzie-crop-1596985128-1250x833.jpg

How the **** did Chris Evan’s get to marry her. Smug prick. 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Yes Smithie I know - others have said that it has been posted on here….

Not what I was getting at but fair enough

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Bet she makes a good cup of tea anaw. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Bet she makes a good cup of tea anaw. 

I would make the tea. Not something I do often but would be willing in this instance.

42 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Can somebody copy in that post please?

There’s so many negative threads it’s hard to find without remembering the poster but I read it on one of em over the weekend. Something along the lines of, “If it takes us getting beat to get rid of him I’ll take it”.

20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Shes mine now

28 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

There’s so many negative threads it’s hard to find without remembering the poster but I read it on one of em over the weekend. Something along the lines of, “If it takes us getting beat to get rid of him I’ll take it”.

I’ve been keeping up to date on JKB and didn’t see that comment. Of course I might have missed it.

I may be wrong but this kind of thing sounds like it suits the agenda of those blackening those criticising Neilson.

27 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I’ve been keeping up to date on JKB and didn’t see that comment. Of course I might have missed it.

I may be wrong but this kind of thing sounds like it suits the agenda of those blackening those criticising Neilson.

No I’m not one of them. I didn’t want him to stay and it wouldn’t bother me if he left but if it means Hearts getting beat I’m out

11 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

No I’m not one of them. I didn’t want him to stay and it wouldn’t bother me if he left but if it means Hearts getting beat I’m out

Found it bud.

it’s on the Why the hate thread

“I hope that we get papped every game till Nheilson is launched, jonno. Until Nheilson os launched we are treading water at best.“

Beginning to doubt meself there

33 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Found it bud.

“I hope that we get papped every game till Nheilson is launched, jonno. Until Nheilson os launched we are treading water at best.“

Cheers mate - the comments of an a-hole!

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

To be perfectly honest, Tosh, the most pleasing thing about Neilson getting the boot would be the ridders on the grovelling sycophants on here. The same ones who smugly blew smoke up Levein's arse and told folk they knew nothing when it was pointed out that he was leading us down the garden path.

I'll freely admit that I'm that petty. 🤷‍♂️

I don't know a single PHM that want's Hearts to fail. Quite the opposite, in fact.

6 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I have fantastic hair. :sweeet:

19 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Found it bud.

That was me. Although it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, many a true word is spoken in jest.

The reply to Tosh above probably covers it. 👍

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Cheers mate - the comments of an a-hole!

Back of the Wheatfield.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Back of the Wheatfield.

No offence mate…..

• JKBMod 6 locked this topic