Neilson's failings during season 2021/2

lost in space

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Took an age to put Haring on to help our overrun midfield. 

Aye, he should have started with Haring instead of GMS......

Sit doon ffs.

Bob kens what he is doing.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Aye, he should have started with Haring instead of GMS......

Sit doon ffs.

Bob kens what he is doing.

Instead of Halliday certainly. 

The Old Tolbooth

I won’t sugar coat it, as much as I loved ramming it right up those vermin scum, we got very lucky last night with the piss poor tactics after we went one up (we were excellent until that point), we simply sat back and let them have all the ball when they were very fragile and there for the taking, we were incredibly lucky that this current Celtic team are an absolute bag of shite, but by god does it feel amazing to beat them!!! 

Beni was absolutely superb, and Haring made such a difference when coming on, surely he can see that Halliday is not fit to play in central midfield now? 

It’s all a learning game though and  if he learns from this then we seriously do have the players to hurt teams this season, but for now, let’s just enjoy this result 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

No Idle Talk
8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I won’t sugar coat it, as much as I loved ramming it right up those vermin scum, we got very lucky last night with the piss poor tactics after we went one up (we were excellent until that point), we simply sat back and let them have all the ball when they were very fragile and there for the taking, we were incredibly lucky that this current Celtic team are an absolute bag of shite, but by god does it feel amazing to beat them!!! 

Beni was absolutely superb, and Haring made such a difference when coming on, surely he can see that Halliday is not fit to play in central midfield now? 

It’s all a learning game though and  if he learns from this then we seriously do have the players to hurt teams this season, but for now, let’s just enjoy this result 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Fair post. 👍

14 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

the team sat far to deep in the second half giving celtic the freedom of the park and it was only a matter of time before they scored, at that point I wanted robbie out for his negative tactics, but bringing on haring and changing formation suddenly we became the dominating team and we were the team that looked more likely to score, so robbie got back in my good books. ps Beni looks a really good signing my man of the match.

gowestjambo
42 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Gordon Ramsay

We were good until we scored and then shite up until 70 mins. On another night they'd have won that. Credit for changing it but still think we can do a lot better (even though we won). 

Need to press higher and do it as a team, especially at Tynecastle. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

The Old Tolbooth
34 minutes ago, whyskey said:

the team sat far to deep in the second half giving celtic the freedom of the park and it was only a matter of time before they scored, at that point I wanted robbie out for his negative tactics, but bringing on haring and changing formation suddenly we became the dominating team and we were the team that looked more likely to score, so robbie got back in my good books. ps Beni looks a really good signing my man of the match.

Yeah I totally agree with that, I was getting really frustrated at how we were sitting so deep when Celtic are so bad, Rangers on this evidence will skoosh the league this season, and the Postie will be sacked before Xmas 

Rocky jamboa

We were great the first 10 mins then sat too deep until Haring came on. The 343 was effectively a 541 for most of the game. Hard to tell if that was down to the players or Robbie asking them to sit deep. It was only a matter of time that they would score so should have changed things earlier for me.

I'm not a Robbie fan but happy to give him the credit for a great result last night. 

Hopefully v your st mirrens and Ross countys we'll stick more to the 343 and be more like we were the first 10 mins.

2 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

We were great the first 10 mins then sat too deep until Haring came on. The 343 was effectively a 541 for most of the game. Hard to tell if that was down to the players or Robbie asking them to sit deep. It was only a matter of time that they would score so should have changed things earlier for me.

I'm not a Robbie fan but happy to give him the credit for a great result last night. 

Hopefully v your st mirrens and Ross countys we'll stick more to the 343 and be more like we were the first 10 mins.

I missed the game as I was working but going by the match day thread, it would seem to be the players. A few posters commented on Robbie urging the players forward more. 

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, Norm said:

I missed the game as I was working but going by the match day thread, it would seem to be the players. A few posters commented on Robbie urging the players forward more. 

Yep he was urging us to be higher up and pressing more because that’s how we trouble Celtic at Tynecastle it’s always the case. They aren’t good enough on the ball to cope with it. They grew in when we did drop.  

It was inevitable Celtic would have a lot of the ball though, the front 6 they started with is still very good but they did nothing with it.

They’re quite predictable in their patterns of play and we sussed them out probably because Robbie did his homework over the last week when he didn’t change his team once.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

All fair, but celtic aren't as fragile or poor as folk make out. 

They forced us deep as their. Midfield is simply better and they taken control. They also pressed us and we struggled in the first half. 

Thankfully they tired before they were ahead and we taken advantage. Very comfortable last 25/30 minutes until injury time! 

Our ball retention and decision making at times was poor tho, but unfair to single out Haliday imo, everybody was guilty of it. 

Need to improve on that side. 

mickycameron98

Can we close this thread down now please. Amazed it's been allowed to stand tbh. Negative energy brings negative results.

lost in space
48 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Can we close this thread down now please. Amazed it's been allowed to stand tbh. Negative energy brings negative results.

You bumped thread back up.

So does positive energy bring positive results??

If we had been more positive when Levein or Csthro were on charge, would they still be here?

Jambof3tornado
55 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

2-1 victory hardly a negative result.....unless you are a sellick fan.?

13 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

He only beat Celtic 2-1. Not meeting the standard.

Neilson oot. 🤫

I had 2-0 useless bas…..

Where was Jamie Walker? Hope it was not for answering back that he was left out as Neilson has a habit of falling out with players and in my opinion we will need Jamie if we are to break down certain sides.

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Where was Jamie Walker? Hope it was not for answering back that he was left out as Neilson has a habit of falling out with players and in my opinion we will need Jamie if we are to break down certain sides.

Jamie Walker had a knock. Who are these players Neilson has fallen out with?

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jamie Walker had a knock. Who are these players Neilson has fallen out with?

It's hilarious what folk make up in their own heads. 

The Old Tolbooth
18 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair, but celtic aren't as fragile or poor as folk make out. 

They forced us deep as their. Midfield is simply better and they taken control. They also pressed us and we struggled in the first half. 

Thankfully they tired before they were ahead and we taken advantage. Very comfortable last 25/30 minutes until injury time! 

Our ball retention and decision making at times was poor tho, but unfair to single out Haliday imo, everybody was guilty of it. 

Need to improve on that side. 

I'd have to disagree with Celtic not being so fragile or poor as folk make out, because they've shown nothing to suggest otherwise since the Postie who can't deliver came in, I also felt that they only overran us in midfield because we were light of bodies in there (and Halliday was woeful), but we chose to stand off them and let them have the ball, it's a dangerous tactic against someone who is normally a lot better in front of goal but we got a bit lucky and it paid off, but let's be honest, Gordon had practically nothing to do until injury time, which tells me how poor Celtic actually are (and also credit to our defence who I thought were superb), because Cove, Peterhead, and Inverness, all created more against us and had more chances in 90 minutes than Celtic did. 

When we took off the wingers and packed the middle of the park, it worked much better in our favour as we took control of the game again. Surely Haring, Beni, and Pollock, need to be our central mid engine room from now on? 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'd have to disagree with Celtic not being so fragile or poor as folk make out, because they've shown nothing to suggest otherwise since the Postie who can't deliver came in, I also felt that they only overran us in midfield because we were light of bodies in there (and Halliday was woeful), but we chose to stand off them and let them have the ball, it's a dangerous tactic against someone who is normally a lot better in front of goal but we got a bit lucky and it paid off, but let's be honest, Gordon had practically nothing to do until injury time, which tells me how poor Celtic actually are (and also credit to our defence who I thought were superb), because Cove, Peterhead, and Inverness, all created more against us and had more chances in 90 minutes than Celtic did. 

When we took off the wingers and packed the middle of the park, it worked much better in our favour as we took control of the game again. Surely Haring, Beni, and Pollock, need to be our central mid engine room from now on? 

Time will tell how poor they are. 

Possibly, but celtic also tired that same period. 

Unsure of our, best midfield combo and I suspect it will change regularly. 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Celtic put us under far more pressure than any of our League Cup opponents as the stats, 2 goals they actually scored and 2 brilliant Gordon saves clearly demonstrate. Halliday this seasons ‘boo boy’? The lad wasn’t outstanding but had a very solid game and worked tirelessly to help protect the back 3, a massive reason for our success on the night. The midfield will be fluid and change with the opposition. When we need to unlock a packed defence we will sacrifice a defensive player and deploy someone with a bit more creativity i.e. Pollock and potentially McEneff …

11 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

He may well need him but there was a rumour on here that JW was on his way out.

Rudi cant fail

People don’t like Robbie for a number of reasons built up through his 2 tenures as manager. It’s not as if people have just decided to take a dislike to him. He has our worst Scottish cup and worst European results on his cv for starters. His cup stats are really poor on the whole. Some of the football he had us playing last season was just not good enough. His comments last season about “external noise” and “if fans aren’t happy they should go and support Man City” certainly don’t help. We kept on hearing how difficult it was to break teams down, well he knew what to expect early on so should have found a way to do just that. When teams like Dundee, Dunfermline and Raith took the game to us, we found ourselves in the back of defeats. 
I was actually quite happy to see him back last season as I think the club needed a bit of stability, but after watching some of the poor negative performances, I quickly remembered why I wasn’t too fussed when he left the last time. 
As a manager he has over achieved in one season, in his first when we won the championship ahead of rangers.
Every other season his teams have finished where they should have or below, based on the resources at his disposal. Resulting in his sacking from Mk Dons and Dundee Utd being not too bothered to see him leave. 
Looking ahead to this season, Saturday was a great result and gives us good foundations to build on for the season ahead. We were great until we scored and then basically let Celtic control the game until the last 15 mins.  Maybe This was Robbie’s plan as he knew they would tire after playing in Europe during the week. If so well played it worked. It was however risky and you if he adopts these tactics against rangers, then I think we will be punished. Celtic didn’t like it when we took the game to them and crumbled when we did. 

St Mirren is a big test at the weekend and in my opinion will give us a good insight as to what we can expect for the season. If we play well and go at them it shows we mean business, or if we sit back inviting pressure hoping for a draw, then the complete opposite. They should be worrying about us, not us worrying about them.

Personally, I don’t think Robbie is the long term solution and will be under pressure in the not so distant future, but I would love for him to prove me and many other fans wrong. 

The Old Tolbooth
42 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Celtic put us under far more pressure than any of our League Cup opponents as the stats, 2 goals they actually scored and 2 brilliant Gordon saves clearly demonstrate. Halliday this seasons ‘boo boy’? The lad wasn’t outstanding but had a very solid game and worked tirelessly to help protect the back 3, a massive reason for our success on the night. The midfield will be fluid and change with the opposition. When we need to unlock a packed defence we will sacrifice a defensive player and deploy someone with a bit more creativity i.e. Pollock and potentially McEneff …

I hope you're right mate, I really do, but like I said on another thread, the acid test is away games and turning up for them, I'm pretty confident at home tbh. 

12 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's hilarious what folk make up in their own heads. 

Anyone on here knows that it's your head that's totally mixed up, am not going to name them for you and am not just including Hearts here but it's a fact, speak out at Neilson your shelved, am hoping Jamie has not been and injury is not a myth.

Mr Elwood P
47 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I hope you're right mate, I really do, but like I said on another thread, the acid test is away games and turning up for them, I'm pretty confident at home tbh. 

Acid test?

20 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Anyone on here knows that it's your head that's totally mixed up, am not going to name them for you and am not just including Hearts here but it's a fact, speak out at Neilson your shelved, am hoping Jamie has not been and injury is not a myth.

Any manager worth his wage would do the same. 

If in fact any of your story about an argument is true. 

If you watched the Inverness game it's not hard to see why JW is yet again injured. 

Sure I heard Robbie praising Jamie Walker in his post match interview after the Inverness game. 

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Any manager worth his wage would do the same. 

If in fact any of your story about an argument is true. 

If you watched the Inverness game it's not hard to see why JW is yet again injured. 

Sure I heard Robbie praising Jamie Walker in his post match interview after the Inverness game. 

Who mentioned arguement Neilson said Jamie was not fit enough Jamie said he was that's the facts, SRB nearly 50k posts most follow party line but then he wanted a Hibs win it was game over for him.

The Old Tolbooth
8 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Acid test?

Acid test, as in are we going to be as boring and negative away from home this season as we were last season, or is that going to change? We'll find out on Saturday I guess. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Acid test, as in are we going to be as boring and negative away from home this season as we were last season, or is that going to change? We'll find out on Saturday I guess. 

Did you watch many Rangers away games against bottom six teams last season ? 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

9 hours ago, Rudi cant fail said:

People don’t like Robbie for a number of reasons built up through his 2 tenures as manager. It’s not as if people have just decided to take a dislike to him. He has our worst Scottish cup and worst European results on his cv for starters. His cup stats are really poor on the whole. Some of the football he had us playing last season was just not good enough. His comments last season about “external noise” and “if fans aren’t happy they should go and support Man City” certainly don’t help. We kept on hearing how difficult it was to break teams down, well he knew what to expect early on so should have found a way to do just that. When teams like Dundee, Dunfermline and Raith took the game to us, we found ourselves in the back of defeats. 
I was actually quite happy to see him back last season as I think the club needed a bit of stability, but after watching some of the poor negative performances, I quickly remembered why I wasn’t too fussed when he left the last time. 
As a manager he has over achieved in one season, in his first when we won the championship ahead of rangers.
Every other season his teams have finished where they should have or below, based on the resources at his disposal. Resulting in his sacking from Mk Dons and Dundee Utd being not too bothered to see him leave. 
Looking ahead to this season, Saturday was a great result and gives us good foundations to build on for the season ahead. We were great until we scored and then basically let Celtic control the game until the last 15 mins.  Maybe This was Robbie’s plan as he knew they would tire after playing in Europe during the week. If so well played it worked. It was however risky and you if he adopts these tactics against rangers, then I think we will be punished. Celtic didn’t like it when we took the game to them and crumbled when we did. 

St Mirren is a big test at the weekend and in my opinion will give us a good insight as to what we can expect for the season. If we play well and go at them it shows we mean business, or if we sit back inviting pressure hoping for a draw, then the complete opposite. They should be worrying about us, not us worrying about them.

Personally, I don’t think Robbie is the long term solution and will be under pressure in the not so distant future, but I would love for him to prove me and many other fans wrong. 

👏👏

9 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He may well need him but there was a rumour on here that JW was on his way out.

Baseless though. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Baseless though. 

Glad it’s not true. He’s got a habit of popping up with a goal off the bench. Could be very handy.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, Rudi cant fail said:

Every other season his teams have finished where they should have or below, based on the resources at his disposal.

Not true. As Hearts manager we finished where we "should have" budget-wise (although when do leagues ever finish with every team finishing where they "should"?) in 15/16 but were on track to over-achieve the following season as we were above Aberdeen when he left and their budget was considerably bigger. He has never finished below where we "should" finish as Hearts manager to date. Cups are obviously another story.

But why not focus on the positive and the here and now? In his second spell he has done very well in the 4 truly big games he's faced - Hibs and Celtic in the cup and Dundee (first game was huge) and Celtic in the league. Brora was an aberration, a once in a million result. Alloa in the cup and other defeats were the type that happen to us pretty regularly unfortunately, and Hibs and Rangers both had those kinds of results during their times in the lower leagues. What's the point of dwelling on them? To his credit we still got the job done last season and have been good in our last 10 or so games after he changed things and began building the team he wants.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Rudi cant fail
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not true. As Hearts manager we finished where we "should have" budget-wise (although when do leagues ever finish with every team finishing where they "should"?) in 15/16 but were on track to over-achieve the following season as we were above Aberdeen when he left and their budget was considerably bigger. He has never finished below where we "should" finish as Hearts manager to date. Cups are obviously another story.

But why not focus on the positive and the here and now? In his second spell he has done very well in the 4 truly big games he's faced - Hibs and Celtic in the cup and Dundee (first game was huge) and Celtic in the league. Brora was an aberration, a once in a million result. Alloa in the cup and other defeats were the type that happen to us pretty regularly unfortunately, and Hibs and Rangers both had those kinds of results during their times in the lower leagues. What's the point of dwelling on them? To his credit we still got the job done last season and have been good in our last 10 or so games after he changed things and began building the team he wants.

You’re correct, he’s never finished below where he should have as Hearts manager to date. He did indeed have us 2nd when he left albeit having played more games, however he jumped ship at the first opportunity so we will never know where we would have finished that season. Based on the performances we were seeing and Aberdeen’s and rangers final points totals I think it’s very unlikely that he would have overachieved.

I’m not just talking about his record as Hearts manager though, I’m talking about his managerial record as a whole. You mention that teams rarely finish where they should based on budget, We have failed to do so for numerous seasons now and that’s simply not good enough. I think the worry is, is that Robbie isn’t going to be able to buck this trend. That’s not all down to him though, as it does seem that the standards at the club have dropped, but that’s another story. His objective was to get us promoted at the first attempt and he has done that. His comments about the aim is to finish top 6 this season, seems like we are setting the bar too low. 

I think it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say we have been good in our last 10 games. I agree that there has been been some solid performances and positives but the majority of these were against lesser opposition or when the championship had already been won. Saturday was a great result and hopefully we can kick on from it. 

As I’ve said though I think Saturday is a big test to see if he has changed things and if he has then perfect we can hopefully look forward to a successful season

I think we saw on Saturday the legacy of previous seasons and managers. A group of players who still question their own ability. Soon as they scored they thought immediately about defending the lead not increasing it.

It took a while but when the penny dropped that they had the beating of the team in front of them and ignored the jersey they were wearing they got on top and won the match. I hope that helps with the confidence and they continue to believe they can win games.

Big test at the weekend is going to an away ground and believe in themselves.

That team is starting to take shape they need to push on and start to realise playing for Hearts isn’t easy and it takes bottle and self belief to shine at Tynecastle.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

I think we saw on Saturday the legacy of previous seasons and managers. A group of players who still question their own ability. Soon as they scored they thought immediately about defending the lead not increasing it.

It took a while but when the penny dropped that they had the beating of the team in front of them and ignored the jersey they were wearing they got on top and won the match. I hope that helps with the confidence and they continue to believe they can win games.

Big test at the weekend is going to an away ground and believe in themselves.

That team is starting to take shape they need to push on and start to realise playing for Hearts isn’t easy and it takes bottle and self belief to shine at Tynecastle.

Pish n wind, especially your first paragraph. 

3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

We had more good chances to score during that period than Celtic did. They got lucky with Ralston and had barely any other good chances until injury time.

We played to pick up loose balls and hit them on the counter. Celtic chose to make safe passes across their defence, which meant fewer chances for us but also fewer chances for them.

It was a tactic that the players followed and it worked well. The only thing it didn't account for was Celtic wanting to run the clock down when behind.

On 01/08/2021 at 08:31, jr ewing said:

Instead of Halliday certainly. 

The only certainty is that Halliday played and we won. 

7 hours ago, number-16 said:

We had more good chances to score during that period than Celtic did. They got lucky with Ralston and had barely any other good chances until injury time.

We played to pick up loose balls and hit them on the counter. Celtic chose to make safe passes across their defence, which meant fewer chances for us but also fewer chances for them.

It was a tactic that the players followed and it worked well. The only thing it didn't account for was Celtic wanting to run the clock down when behind.

Well it clearly wasn’t a tactic if you listen to Robbies post match interview. The players dropped off and at half time they he them to start pushing on again. At 70 mins he changed the shape as Celtic were tiring. 

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Did you watch many Rangers away games against bottom six teams last season ? 

I think I only watched 2 top flight games last season, I just wasn't interested. 

Guest ToqueJambo
19 hours ago, Rudi cant fail said:

I’m not just talking about his record as Hearts manager though, I’m talking about his managerial record as a whole. You mention that teams rarely finish where they should based on budget, We have failed to do so for numerous seasons now and that’s simply not good enough. I think the worry is, is that Robbie isn’t going to be able to buck this trend. That’s not all down to him though, as it does seem that the standards at the club have dropped, but that’s another story. His objective was to get us promoted at the first attempt and he has done that. His comments about the aim is to finish top 6 this season, seems like we are setting the bar too low. 

Fair enough but I think Neilson should be judged on what he does with us. I think he could be one of these poeple who just is a good fit with Hearts and does his best work with us. Don't think he got the kind of results against teams like Rangers and Celtic or league consistency, or even the cup semi vs Hibs, with other teams that he has with us.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Didn't manage to get more than 5k in, all his fault. 

Not enough milk in the fridge, all his fault

Bibs weren't clean for training, all his fault

List is endless man

CloustonHMFC
On 03/08/2021 at 17:20, Sir Gio said:

Didn't manage to get more than 5k in, all his fault. 

Not enough milk in the fridge, all his fault

Bibs weren't clean for training, all his fault

List is endless man

Half the world is burning, Robbie needs to wind his neck in and pull the finger out 

• JKBMod 6 locked this topic