Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Matches mainly , or at least get further into the draws 

just looking to progress to whatever their eventual level is in the longer term

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
28 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I doubt that there's the same degree of parental involvement for teenagers and young adults playing other sports. Tennis parents are a particularly overbearing bunch, with their kids expected to fill some kind of hole left by the inadequacy of their own childhood. There's a line somewhere between enjoying watching your kid play sport and being a fokken mental case about the whole thing. I've come across many who've crossed that line - and you'll never hear of their kids because they don't have the talent that their parents think they can buy for them.

albeit rare cases but they appear in the newspapers now and again where some overbearing (probably middle/upper class) mum has drugged a competitors pony so their child can win a rosette at a gymkana horse jumping competition 

that’s potentially harm an innocent animal and also put someone’s child at genuine risk of severe injury just so their own child can get a better colour rosette 😩

these passive tennis-dad’s need to up their game 😡

7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

albeit rare cases but they appear in the newspapers now and again where some overbearing (probably middle/upper class) mum has drugged a competitors pony so their child can win a rosette at a gymkana horse jumping competition 

that’s potentially harm an innocent animal and also put someone’s child at genuine risk of severe injury just so their own child can get a better colour rosette 😩

It’s not just in sport , you get parents living their failed dreams through their children in other professions too . Very odd behaviours really . 

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

My own observation suggests that the mums are more mental. That said, I've only been at boys' tournaments so maybe it's a thing that crosses the genders.

Pony riding and tennis, though? It's a middle class thing!

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes British tennis players are now expected to win , rather that lose. 

Also bear in mind that we've done pretty well with men's doubles players over the last 10 years or so. 3 teams featuring Brits are in the top 8 race at the moment plus you've had Jamie Murray, Dom Inglot, Jonny O'Mara and the other Skupski at or near the top in recent years. Largely down to coach Louis Cayeur - who's Canadian :)

21 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Also bear in mind that we've done pretty well with men's doubles players over the last 10 years or so. 3 teams featuring Brits are in the top 8 race at the moment plus you've had Jamie Murray, Dom Inglot, Jonny O'Mara and the other Skupski at or near the top in recent years. Largely down to coach Louis Cayeur - who's Canadian :)

Yes very true . Brutish tennis is not bad state just now I reckon . 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes very true . Brutish tennis is not bad state just now I reckon . 

You talking about John Isner now, as he is definitely brutal to watch.

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Just read that, I was aware of the case and remembered her name. Her father sounds like a profoundly nasty piece of work and still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong because he believes his behaviour was normal and perhaps in his culture it is to a large degree. Jelena, unsurprisingly, no longer speaks to him.

As others have said, nightmare pushy parents are a problem in all walks of life, be if sport, music or even education in general. But it’s 100 times worse when it spills over into mental cruelty or physical violence.

5 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

A French man who admitted drugging a number of his children's tennis rivals has been given an eight-year jail term. Christophe Fauviau, 46, a retired army officer, was convicted of manslaughter after one of the players died in a car crash after being drugged.

15 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

My own observation suggests that the mums are more mental. That said, I've only been at boys' tournaments so maybe it's a thing that crosses the genders.

Pony riding and tennis, though? It's a middle class thing!

Nevermind Sunderland Til I Die, there is a documentary out there to be made following kids and their parents round the tennis circuit. Seeing kids getting code violations because of their parents behaviour is always amusing.

In fairness, the vast majority of parents are hugely supportive of each other but there is a palpable tension in the air as well. It's quite an intoxicating atmosphere at times!

Murray described on BBC summary vs Berretini as a closing time car park fighter. I sort of get that. Berretini  hasn't won any majors as far as I know

Draper retires injured. Looked like he pulled something in his groin when stretching for a shot. Was one set all, and he was 3-1 up in the 3rd when it happened and he lost his serve, but then came back from a medical timeout to go 5-2 up,  but then was clearly not able to move much at all and ended up calling it a day.

Edited by PortyJambo

I P Knightley
27 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Draper retires injured. Looked like he pulled something in his groin when stretching for a shot. Was one set all, and he was 3-1 up in the 3rd when it happened and he lost his serve, but then came back from a medical timeout to go 5-2 up,  but then was clearly not able to move much at all and ended up calling it a day.

His time will surely come. He's making the steady climb up the rankings that might have suited Raducanu. A few hiccups along the way but in three years time, he ought to be challenging for SFs and finals regularly. 

His time will surely come. He's making the steady climb up the rankings that might have suited Raducanu. A few hiccups along the way but in three years time, he ought to be challenging for SFs and finals regularly. 

Yeah, if he can avoid injuries then he should reach top 10.

And as his points that have got him in the top 50 have come over several tournaments, he's not at as much risk of a big drop if he has a bad spell, unlike Raducanu losing most of her points this week.

Pretty sure he would have won that game today if he hadn't got injured. 

Edited by PortyJambo

He will be one of many benefitting from not having Rafa and Novak having too many years in front of them.

Hard to take that final step though, as Zverev Tsitsipas etc are finding out. 

Ruud v Paul has been epic.

Paul just crashing in the final set which is disappointing and Rudd breaks for the second time with a really, really lucky shot via the net.

Not that she was going to win this year but shame that Serena was never able to get that last Slam to match Margaret Court. Her legacy deserved that imo.

18 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Not that she was going to win this year but shame that Serena was never able to get that last Slam to match Margaret Court. Her legacy deserved that imo.

Agreed . An amazing career . Deserved the 24 . 

On 03/09/2022 at 10:28, neilnunb said:

Why did it deserves it. You have to earn it and she didn't. 

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why did it deserves it. You have to earn it and she didn't. 

🤣

Well tbf I think most do see her as the greatest. After all, Margaret Court won 11 Australian titles when a lot of players didn't travel to Australia.

It's a bit like Nadal winning his recent Australian title when the obvious winner was absent. 😉

18 hours ago, neilnunb said:

🤣

Well tbf I think most do see her as the greatest. After all, Margaret Court won 11 Australian titles when a lot of players didn't travel to Australia.

It's a bit like Nadal winning his recent Australian title when the obvious winner was absent. 😉

Pardon me. It should have been 'does she' actually I should have said Serena. 👍 Apologies to anyone who was traumatised by my actions.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

How has he sold out?

Was it for wearing the Paraguay shirt at the Wimbledon press conference then spending the following decade+ licking the england bum to try to make up for it ? :lol:

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

What a shock...Nadal off on a 'break' after losing the first set. Went away for ages too. Maybe struggled to find a vein.

Away for another wee break now to change his clothes

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Ah Tiafoe away to get changed now as well

He changed his top on court. However if Nadal has buggered off then he may as well join in the games.

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

He changed his top on court. However if Nadal has buggered off then he may as well join in the games.

They’ll be changing everything their wearing, like most players have been doing.

Brilliant win ! Well done Frances . Nae luck go Nads ! 

Theyll  certainly be one happy guy tonight sipping a celebratory drink. 

Martina and Courier dry yer eyes 

CF738E11-A512-45C9-81EA-2E05C4C56A1E.gif.7c47f1fac1fe922f36b5d765eebdc7e8.gif

D5E2A618-E1ED-4A21-9E9E-FE452AFCEECF.gif

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

YAY BABY!!! 🥳🥳🥳

Stick to your clay, Rafa! 👋

👍👍👍👍 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

A great night for tennis, James. 

Sore one for gamesmanship.

😁

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

A great night for tennis, James. 

Sore one for gamesmanship.

😁

Yep ! 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

looks like Jessica Pegula has taken great confidence from overcoming the defending champion - hope she goes on to win it :)

5 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Banned from the Australian and US for good. So that leaves the French for Rafa and Wimbledon for Lance. So 23 v 22 to the greatest.nadal-funny.gif