Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes thats true .  Mind you to to be the best you have to beat the best but as you said match play is also vital.  He was rather scratchy at the beginning of Wimbledon I recall.  Murray needs to call it a day really , same with Stan . MIght be a good nostalgic match though. I read that Serena has drawn against Emma but i cant recall which competition ? 

Also Cincy first round. Good for Prime's viewing figures and might teach them a lesson. They've lost the US Open after this year cos their algorithm (correctly) assumed that Raducanu would he be a flash in the pan so they bid tuppence. Bugger for me as I won't have Sky, so one less tourney to follow. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

First round of the Cincinnati Open, which starts tomorrow. Pretty much guaranteed to be on their show court, as you would expect for Serena anyway, but even more so with the storyline of playing the current US Open champion.

Yes thanks.  Ill miss it as im at a fringe show. Itll be an interesting match. Passing of the torch. Maybe. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Also Cincy first round. Good for Prime's viewing figures and might teach them a lesson. They've lost the US Open after this year cos their algorithm (correctly) assumed that Raducanu would he be a flash in the pan so they bid tuppence. Bugger for me as I won't have Sky, so one less tourney to follow. 

So sky is showing the US ?

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

From 2023. This year is on Prime. 

Thats ok then as I have prime. 

I P Knightley

WTA final under way with Wee Simona being broken in her first service game. Hopefully she can turn it round but she's not hitting it hard enough or far enough to cause problems. The ones she gets to bounce near the baseline are coming in on a big loop which gives the oppo so much time to pick her spot.

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

WTA final under way with Wee Simona being broken in her first service game. Hopefully she can turn it round but she's not hitting it hard enough or far enough to cause problems. The ones she gets to bounce near the baseline are coming in on a big loop which gives the oppo so much time to pick her spot.

Honestly, she wants to hire me as her coach. Since I wrote that, she's more aggresive and ground strokes are finding the corners. We're back at 3-3 and it's entirely down to my insight.

JudyJudyJudy

Great to see Halep back winning a major. This will give her a load of confidence for the US open.  Still think her  resounding defeat of Serena at Wimbledon a few years back was one of the great tactical tennis matches I've seen. That and the time Lindsay Davenport  bet firm favourite Steffi Graf at Wimbles in 1999 in straight sets. 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Great to see Halep back winning a major. This will give her a load of confidence for the US open.  Still think her  resounding defeat of Serena at Wimbledon a few years back was one of the great tactical tennis matches I've seen. That and the time Lindsay Davenport  bet firm favourite Steffi Graf at Wimbles in 1999 in straight sets. 

Love the way she plays, fights for everything.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Love the way she plays, fights for everything.

Shes got some power to her shots too. Yes I like her playing style too. 

23 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes thanks.  Ill miss it as im at a fringe show. Itll be an interesting match. Passing of the torch. Maybe. 

Hmmm...that phrase would hold more water if it was Swiatek playing.

Hopefully Emma can do the business though.

I P Knightley
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Hmmm...that phrase would hold more water if it was Swiatek playing.

Hopefully Emma can do the business though.

I'm hearing that Serena's withdrawn.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

She seems pretty outgoing to me.

Oh, see what you mean.

(I'll not get a Perrier Award with that gag)

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Oh, see what you mean.

I was biting my tongue as I posted :D

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Oh, see what you mean.

LOL 

I P Knightley
21 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Seems that I've been fed some duff information. Serena v Raducanu to take the court as scheduled. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

emma serving for the first set 🙀

As a Serena fan this is painful to watch . Dearie me . She really needs to hang up her racket . She has zero athleticism and is practically stuck in the middle of the court and caught out time and  again. Too many unforced errors too Great career but it’s over . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
20 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

As a Serena fan this is painful to watch . Dearie me . She really needs to hang up her racket . She has zero athleticism and is practically stuck in the middle of the court and caught out time and  again. Too many unforced errors too Great career but it’s over . 

young Emma sending her out to pasture 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

young Emma sending her out to pasture 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Not exactly anything to

boast about really . She’s 40 ! Lol dearie me . Emma won’t get much further in this tournament 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Not exactly anything to

boast about really . She’s 40 ! Lol dearie me . Emma won’t get much further in this tournament 

Emma certainly won’t be boasting - i’d expect her to be very humble and a wee bit embarrassed about tonight

😻

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Genuine question,  what is it that drove you to be  Serena fan? She comes across as one of the most objectionable , entitled people in the sport. I just can't imagine sitting down to watch a match, hoping she'd win. 

Or was it just a sly cheeky troll?

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Nick K losing it a bit in his match against Fokina . Audible  " f  u"  etc

I really don't understand what he expects to achieve with that sort of ranting to his box. The guy in the black t-shirt, who seemed to bear the brunt of it, is his physio, ffs. It's absolutely nothing to do with him that Kyrgios made a bad shot choice or executed badly. I understand that NK needs to have a shout at himself after a poor point but would be intrigued to know what agreement he has with his box for them to be his punchbag. I was hoping that Marcus & Greg would ask the question afterwards; it was a better line of questioning than the standard on-court interview but you'd probably need a couch and a good hour (or six sessions) to get to the bottom of it.

Still, he came back from that wee swearie to play extremely well so it seems to work.

8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I know that losing to a bagel is not what such a great champion would ever want to happen but she had a stadium full o f folk who'd paid to see her and tried their hardest to support her through the match. The on-court interview was scheduled so it was a poor show that she didn't bother to sign off with a show of appreciation for those who've supported her through her career. It doesn't surprise me, though, as she's such an awful human being.

Raducanu played a lot better than I've seen her try this year. Her focus was good, possibly conscious that she should remain calm and not antagonise the Serena crowd. Only one unforced error (when she just missed with a drop shot attempt) and good strategic shot choices. Whether that was because Serena was playing shite and Raducanu was under no pressure. Next round will be more interesting.

22 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I really don't understand what he expects to achieve with that sort of ranting to his box. The guy in the black t-shirt, who seemed to bear the brunt of it, is his physio, ffs. It's absolutely nothing to do with him that Kyrgios made a bad shot choice or executed badly. I understand that NK needs to have a shout at himself after a poor point but would be intrigued to know what agreement he has with his box for them to be his punchbag. I was hoping that Marcus & Greg would ask the question afterwards; it was a better line of questioning than the standard on-court interview but you'd probably need a couch and a good hour (or six sessions) to get to the bottom of it.

Still, he came back from that wee swearie to play extremely well so it seems to work.

I know that losing to a bagel is not what such a great champion would ever want to happen but she had a stadium full o f folk who'd paid to see her and tried their hardest to support her through the match. The on-court interview was scheduled so it was a poor show that she didn't bother to sign off with a show of appreciation for those who've supported her through her career. It doesn't surprise me, though, as she's such an awful human being.

Raducanu played a lot better than I've seen her try this year. Her focus was good, possibly conscious that she should remain calm and not antagonise the Serena crowd. Only one unforced error (when she just missed with a drop shot attempt) and good strategic shot choices. Whether that was because Serena was playing shite and Raducanu was under no pressure. Next round will be more interesting.

I think it's just an emotional release for Nick K. All the players will do that but Nick's problem is that he carries on doing it for minutes after and it costs him points and games. In the Wimbledon Final it pretty much cost him a set because he didn;t like the support from his box and he couldn't let it go.

Chuffed to see Raducanu take care of Serena. Difficult to play such an iconic figure with the crowd willing her on so that bodes well for the future. It's so difficult to publicly criticise Serena because she has won so much, was such an explosive exciting player but she also represents so much more due to colour and relatively poor upbringing. I steer well clear of any chat about her on Twitter!

Edited by Nookie Bear

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Genuine question,  what is it that drove you to be  Serena fan? She comes across as one of the most objectionable , entitled people in the sport. I just can't imagine sitting down to watch a match, hoping she'd win. 

Or was it just a sly cheeky troll?

Im not an uber fan of hers actually. TO be honest I have only starting watching tennis again in the last few years so missed her time in the sun really.  I've liked tennis since the late 70s and 80s and was a big Martina N fan. Once she left the scene i stopped watching it as much until Monica Seles came along and once she left ( basically 1993 i stopped watching again . Watched it now and then but been more into in the last couple years. In fact i really enjoy men's tennis more . I like her power play, All these 3 players have ./ had tremendous power play so thats what draws me to them. If i really had to pick the GOAT id say it is Monica Seles but due to the stabbing incident her slam record ended  . Tennis great tragedy really.  I like Serena as she has come from a poor background and achieved so much in a game which is inherent with wealth , elitism and white privilege really.  Thats to be admired but her conduct on court at times can leave a lot to be desired but its  sport and is passionate.  We don't rage at foobtall players for swearing or whatever ? unless Hobbos of course so why should she be treated differently . The clue is in SHE. Shes a character and personality irrespective of her negative qualities and will be missed but the women's game seem to be coming together again and its more exciting i feel. So the future is looking good. 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I think it is a destresser for him. it works. Its unpleasant but its a sport. Its passion and energy not a knitting contest really.    Completely agree re Serena conduct after the match. She needs to try and leave with some grace. But she's struggling. I feel that she cant have that much honest support from her team as its clear that she is finished and as i said its painful to watch her now.  I switched the match off after the first set.  Emma did play well but Serena played awful .  Ararenko is a wily old broad. :) Itll be a good match i think. 

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

yer but she also represents so much more due to colour and relatively poor upbringing. I steer well clear of any chat about her on Twitter!

Yep thats it. 

I P Knightley

I think it is a destresser for him. it works. Its unpleasant but its a sport. Its passion and energy not a knitting contest really.    Completely agree re Serena conduct after the match. She needs to try and leave with some grace. But she's struggling. I feel that she cant have that much honest support from her team as its clear that she is finished and as i said its painful to watch her now.  I switched the match off after the first set.  Emma did play well but Serena played awful .  Ararenko is a wily old broad. :) Itll be a good match i think. 

I also realise that my earlier post about Serena withdrawing was very close to being right. They rescheduled the match from Monday to Tuesday at her request as she was struggling with something or other. Given the organisers having done her that favour, her failure to speak to the crowd is even more unforgiveable.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I also realise that my earlier post about Serena withdrawing was very close to being right. They rescheduled the match from Monday to Tuesday at her request as she was struggling with something or other. Given the organisers having done her that favour, her failure to speak to the crowd is even more unforgiveable.

Yes completely agree and dont forget the punters who booked the seats and hotels for Monday too. Maybe her last Diva behaviours.  I can imagine her going into acting. I think she will suceed in anything she wishes to. 

12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

My amateur psychology take on it is that failing to acknowledge the crowd is not a good look but we have to remember just how fiercely competitive she has been for two decades (actually since she first picked up a racket) and how frustrated and embarrassed she must have felt.

The top elite athletes are just not built like us and many have an air about them that we cannot relate to. It's that desire to keep going when you've already achieved everything you set out to do (and that desire to take another sponsorship deal when you're rolling in cash!)

I am sure she will speak more openly soon and take time to thank her supporters and tennis as a whole.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

My amateur psychology take on it is that failing to acknowledge the crowd is not a good look but we have to remember just how fiercely competitive she has been for two decades (actually since she first picked up a racket) and how frustrated and embarrassed she must have felt.

The top elite athletes are just not built like us and many have an air about them that we cannot relate to. It's that desire to keep going when you've already achieved everything you set out to do (and that desire to take another sponsorship deal when you're rolling in cash!)

I am sure she will speak more openly soon and take time to thank her supporters and tennis as a whole.

Excellent.  Think thats probably quite accurate. As you say she will be disappointed  in losing as she has been such a great champion and once the dust has settled and she reflects with less emotion she will manage to thank fans and others within her time. Tennis has been her life. Her whole life. Its what she has lived for and now is forced to leave it . Not doing it voluntary, Maybe Graf and Barty had the right idea by retiring at the top. It was just as painful watching Martina N play on until she was 40 ish too. 

JudyJudyJudy

Just saw that ending of the match from last night on the news. Lovely smile of respect from Emma at the end of the match when she went towards Serena. You can see she was in awe or at least admires her.  Nice words from her too  Fair play to her.   

Serena had 5 years to beat the record for most Grand Slams. Margaret Court must have had a good laugh.

Serena was a great role model and inspiration. Seems more to care about herself now. Her other businesses. But fair play. An incredible career. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Serena had 5 years to beat the record for most Grand Slams. Margaret Court must have had a good laugh.

Serena was a great role model and inspiration. Seems more to care about herself now. Her other businesses. But fair play. An incredible career. 

Yes it’s been very frustrating as I think she appeared in 4 slam finals too which is also a great achievement due to her age but she just couldn’t get over the hurdle really . 23 is a crap number as it’s an odd number too ! 

I P Knightley

Battle of the Scots is under way and Murray managed to take the first set.

Norrie sporting a wee Dickie Davis on his hair.

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes it’s been very frustrating as I think she appeared in 4 slam finals too which is also a great achievement due to her age but she just couldn’t get over the hurdle really . 23 is a crap number as it’s an odd number too ! 

But it's a prime number, which is pretty cool.

I P Knightley
31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hope there's no over-exuberance should Murray win.

I think the ball "kids" would be able to control such over-exuberance. There's one, at the near end, who must be 6'6" and has certainly had more than his share of pies. Looks like the Austin Powers character, Fat B**tard.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Battle of the Scots is under way and Murray managed to take the first set.

Norrie sporting a wee Dickie Davis on his hair.

But it's a prime number, which is pretty cool.

Odd numbers are very unlucky . I was brought up in a superstitious household. :( 

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Seen him. Think Murray is scared of him.

Murray also appears to hate tennis.

I know he's been a fine player but I really struggle to watch him due to his on court demeanour.  Hes miserable as ****. 

Its like hes been forced to play.

JudyJudyJudy

I’ve stopped watching the Emma match. . It’s a disgrace really . Not her fault   It’s Azareka is making no effort . It’s insulting . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

young Raducanu what a talent - still learning her craft too and aware she’s is

US open champion and new ear pods is a decent building block for any young player - plenty time to develop and improve

😻

JudyJudyJudy

Emma.  People singing her praises need to take a sit down.  She beat an overweight 40 yo and then a player who is passed her great playing days too. 

Best to judge her against any inform player  like Jessica Pegula who has beat her in straight sets. 

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Emma.  People singing her praises need to take a sit down.  She beat an overweight 40 yo and then a player who is passed her great playing days too. 

Best to judge her against any inform player  like Jessica Pegula who has beat her in straight sets. 

Ah Pegula she plays with a pogostick