Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy

Awe dry your tears Mark Petchey ffs . Give Cornet some respect . Awful serving though . Oh no it’s “ Rafa” time now aka as “ injury “ time for ER . 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Emma was never beating Cornet last night. Not with respective forms going into the match.

Good to see Osaka out too, following Rybakina and Halep. 

It's probably Swiatek's tournament to lose. As for the men's side, I've backed Hurkacz each way. Think he will go well this year.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Homme said:

Emma was never beating Cornet last night. Not with respective forms going into the match.

Good to see Osaka out too, following Rybakina and Halep. 

It's probably Swiatek's tournament to lose. As for the men's side, I've backed Hurkacz each way. Think he will go well this year.

Emma not losing last night ? Try telling that to the twitter world or the Prime commentators.  Anyway Cornet played well but whats more worrying for Rad is that Cornet didnt play THAT well to knock out a defending champion. Her serving was appalling. Unsure if it got any better after the first set as I went to kip.  Cornet is a lovely player with some nifty play which was evidenced at times last night. As for Rad back to the drawing board. Shes only won 1 tournament in one year.    

Unsure what has happened to Osaka?  Not so sure Swiatek will win the whole thing. its anyones championship i think. 

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Emma not losing last night ? Try telling that to the twitter world or the Prime commentators.  Anyway Cornet played well but whats more worrying for Rad is that Cornet didnt play THAT well to knock out a defending champion. Her serving was appalling. Unsure if it got any better after the first set as I went to kip.  Cornet is a lovely player with some nifty play which was evidenced at times last night. As for Rad back to the drawing board. Shes only won 1 tournament in one year.    

Unsure what has happened to Osaka?  Not so sure Swiatek will win the whole thing. its anyones championship i think. 

Cornet is a wily old fox who knows exactly how to get at limited opponents like Raducanu.

some of the comments from Emma are a bit rubbish, sounding like she is relieved at dropping 70 places in the rankings. It will be very difficult for her to motivate herself going forward when she needs to perform at smaller tournaments or even go back to qualifying. Until she sorts out the coaching situation that's not going to happen.

Osaka is a mess. You can't just dip in and out of the game and expect to play well when it matters. I partly feel for her (and Benoit Paire) with their issues but they are taking up spaces that more committed players would kill for.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cornet is a wily old fox who knows exactly how to get at limited opponents like Raducanu.

some of the comments from Emma are a bit rubbish, sounding like she is relieved at dropping 70 places in the rankings. It will be very difficult for her to motivate herself going forward when she needs to perform at smaller tournaments or even go back to qualifying. Until she sorts out the coaching situation that's not going to happen.

Osaka is a mess. You can't just dip in and out of the game and expect to play well when it matters. I partly feel for her (and Benoit Paire) with their issues but they are taking up spaces that more committed players would kill for.

Yes Cornet has a great resume really.  Her head to head with Serena Williams is 4 -4 so she can beat anyone when she is in good form. Agree with you re Emma needing to almost go backwards and play smaller tournaments etc. But i do think she is a limited player and her results since last year prove it  . Its the media which have overhyped her. Osaka has had mental health issues so this may have impacted on her i feel. Shame as shes a great player but has def lost her mojo. 

I P Knightley
21 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I didn't watch it but imagine that the commentators were doing and saying the same sort of stuff they'd have done for Tim Henman, John Lloyd or Buster Mottram back in the day - trying to give a glimmer of hope to the UK viewers and boost numbers watching. I don't think any of them would have ever said she is the real deal; the most positive I've heard is that she is capable of building steadily from the position she's now in (currently #80 in the world rankings) and, if she gets her act together, she could have a career as stellar as Jo Konta's.

Personally, I doubt that she'll do so. As I've written before, the fluke of last year has gone to her head and, particularly, he dad's. I don't believe that they will knuckle down with a decent coach and accept that she has to slog to climb the rankings. I'd like to be proved wrong; I thought the tennis she played last year was refreshing but it was pressure-free. She's banked somewhere in the region of $15-20m on the back of that tournament, though, so it's hard to imagine the motivation for her slogging around the sub-tour events alongside Harriet Dart and Katie Boulter.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Raducanu doesn’t have the mentality of an elite athlete. She got lucky once and seems to expect a lifetime of trophies, endorsements and celebrities, without working for it as a top tennis player has to. 

JudyJudyJudy
47 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I didn't watch it but imagine that the commentators were doing and saying the same sort of stuff they'd have done for Tim Henman, John Lloyd or Buster Mottram back in the day - trying to give a glimmer of hope to the UK viewers and boost numbers watching. I don't think any of them would have ever said she is the real deal; the most positive I've heard is that she is capable of building steadily from the position she's now in (currently #80 in the world rankings) and, if she gets her act together, she could have a career as stellar as Jo Konta's.

Personally, I doubt that she'll do so. As I've written before, the fluke of last year has gone to her head and, particularly, he dad's. I don't believe that they will knuckle down with a decent coach and accept that she has to slog to climb the rankings. I'd like to be proved wrong; I thought the tennis she played last year was refreshing but it was pressure-free. She's banked somewhere in the region of $15-20m on the back of that tournament, though, so it's hard to imagine the motivation for her slogging around the sub-tour events alongside Harriet Dart and Katie Boulter.

Agreed. 

Buster Mottram .? lol. thats a blast from the past. Youll be mentioning Anne Hobbs next :) 

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Raducanu doesn’t have the mentality of an elite athlete. She got lucky once and seems to expect a lifetime of trophies, endorsements and celebrities, without working for it as a top tennis player has to. 

Yep 

That was a pity about Raducanu last night but it was a really tough first round draw. Cornet apparently just missed out on being seeded herself.

The drop in rankings will hopefully do Raducanu a lot of good. After Wimbledon they said she would drop to around 60 which was more inline with where she was. That didn't seem to happen though? Obviously now she'll drop to 80ish. Time to do a bit of grafting.

She wasn't the only GS winner to lose yesterday so she's hardly unique in finding it tough to recapture form. The women's game especially is hard as hell to predict.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

That was a pity about Raducanu last night but it was a really tough first round draw. Cornet apparently just missed out on being seeded herself.

The drop in rankings will hopefully do Raducanu a lot of good. After Wimbledon they said she would drop to around 60 which was more inline with where she was. That didn't seem to happen though? Obviously now she'll drop to 80ish. Time to do a bit of grafting.

She wasn't the only GS winner to lose yesterday so she's hardly unique in finding it tough to recapture form. The women's game especially is hard as hell to predict.

I don’t imagine she’ll fancy grafting at that level at all. Think she reckons is should just be cruising to the latter stages of majors every week. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

She wasn't the only GS winner to lose yesterday so she's hardly unique in finding it tough to recapture form.

She is only the 3rd reigning champ to lose in the first round of the us open in all its years. 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

She is only the 3rd reigning champ to lose in the first round of the us open in all its years. 

And the current Wimbledon champion also lost. Osaka, who many thought would dominate for years not that long ago, also lost. It happens.

Have you even gone to bed yet after partying all night over it? 😉😁

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, neilnunb said:

And the current Wimbledon champion also lost. Osaka, who many thought would dominate for years not that long ago, also lost. It happens.

Have you even gone to bed yet after partying all night over it? 😉😁

Gies a break  :) .  I fell asleep after the first set. It wasn't that great a match. 

Incredibly Cornet played below par , yet still won. Like ive said time and again ER is overhyped. Nothing against her. She seems a nice person. Was very nice about the Queen last week when she beat her but as a tennis player leaves a lot to be desired. Still early days for her and she may hone in her skills and improve. Who knows ? 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That's certainly the impression I get.

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

All that happened at Wimblers was that everyone dropped their points from last year. As I recall, Raducanu made it to round 3 which is something like 90 points - not enough to see her drop like a stone.

Dropping 2,000 points, though, that's going to hurt!

40 minutes ago, Cade said:

Maybe what Raducanu needs to do is change coach

:look:

:biglaugh:

I might just steal that for Twitter.

31 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Arrogance off the scale from this one really. 

Pavvy's a superfan and falls on the side of Djoko, although not rabidly so.

McEnroe's comments are on the right lines; Nadal is afforded a bit more leeway than most others. It's not to the tune of Celtic or Sevco being handled by Scottish referees but there are plenty of instances where you just wonder what he has to do to get a word in his ear. When Kyrgios is getting telt by umpires, he often asks whether Rafa would be treated the same. That doesn't come from nowhere; it's something they all see but few have the attitude of JohnnyMac or Nick K to call it out. I certainly don't imagine Tim "y'know" Henman rocking the boat.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That's certainly the impression I get.

All that happened at Wimblers was that everyone dropped their points from last year. As I recall, Raducanu made it to round 3 which is something like 90 points - not enough to see her drop like a stone.

Dropping 2,000 points, though, that's going to hurt!

:biglaugh:

I might just steal that for Twitter.

McEnroe's comments are on the right lines; Nadal is afforded a bit more leeway than most others. It's not to the tune of Celtic or Sevco being handled by Scottish referees but there are plenty of instances where you just wonder what he has to do to get a word in his ear. When Kyrgios is getting telt by umpires, he often asks whether Rafa would be treated the same. That doesn't come from nowhere; it's something they all see but few have the attitude of JohnnyMac or Nick K to call it out. I certainly don't imagine Tim "y'know" Henman rocking the boat.

Yes Mac isn’t too bothered about rocking the boat , unlike tiger Rim , sorry Tim !  I’d like to a fly on the wall when Nads has a “ word “ with Mac 😂 So his new excuse for time violations is he sweats too much ! Aye right ! ! 😂 Chancer , although a great player . I’ll acknowledge that obviously . Yes I follow Pavvy on twitter . He’s calling the Us open the 

“ Moderna open “ 😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

15 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Devil's advocate and all that but when I hear Nick K coming out with the Rafa line it just sounds like the naughty boy being jealous of the supposedly perfect brother.

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Devil's advocate and all that but when I hear Nick K coming out with the Rafa line it just sounds like the naughty boy being jealous of the supposedly perfect brother.

Oh certainly! He behaves like a brat and, therefore, his rants could be interpreted as just that. But he's surprisingly knowledgeable about the game and the players and actually has a fair amount of support from fellow players on the tour. His "don't give a shit" mentality can be infuriating (e.g. when he's tanking a game) but it also leads to him saying things that very few would dare.

I hope that he and Medvedev both make it through the next two rounds so they meet in the round of 16. The two players who most polarise crowds meeting in the biggest stadium in the world? It could be a firecracker of a match. Thing is, I think they both respect each other so don't believe there would be the same winding up that Kyrgios played against Shitsispants at Wimbledon - that was epic - so they might just hunker down and play some brutal tennis without really involving the crowd.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Oh certainly! He behaves like a brat and, therefore, his rants could be interpreted as just that. But he's surprisingly knowledgeable about the game and the players and actually has a fair amount of support from fellow players on the tour. His "don't give a shit" mentality can be infuriating (e.g. when he's tanking a game) but it also leads to him saying things that very few would dare.

I hope that he and Medvedev both make it through the next two rounds so they meet in the round of 16. The two players who most polarise crowds meeting in the biggest stadium in the world? It could be a firecracker of a match. Thing is, I think they both respect each other so don't believe there would be the same winding up that Kyrgios played against Shitsispants at Wimbledon - that was epic - so they might just hunker down and play some brutal tennis without really involving the crowd.

Awe naw that’s a shame they will maybe meet in the round of 16 ! I was hoping both would get to final . At least one might then . 

I P Knightley
19 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh he didn’t like being challenged , it’s far from “ classy “ 

I don't know what else I'd expect him to do or say in the circumstances.

"I'm more sweaty than everyone else" is not the strongest line of defence but I don't know what the "classy" response would have been.

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes Cornet has a great resume really.  Her head to head with Serena Williams is 4 -4 so she can beat anyone when she is in good form. Agree with you re Emma needing to almost go backwards and play smaller tournaments etc. But i do think she is a limited player and her results since last year prove it  . Its the media which have overhyped her. Osaka has had mental health issues so this may have impacted on her i feel. Shame as shes a great player but has def lost her mojo. 

Don't really follow tennis closely so this may be way off beam but the reminds me a bit of Kournikova who made a fortune from endorsements off the court but was more limited in her achievements on it. Unfair comment or not?

I P Knightley
53 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Don't really follow tennis closely so this may be way off beam but the reminds me a bit of Kournikova who made a fortune from endorsements off the court but was more limited in her achievements on it. Unfair comment or not?

Kournikova was a more promising player but was generally thought to have been sidetracked by the marketing opportunities given to her from being sexy. She never reached her playing potential.

Raducanu massively overachieved and has done the right thing by coining it in while she's still relevant. 

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes Mac isn’t too bothered about rocking the boat , unlike tiger Rim , sorry Tim !  I’d like to a fly on the wall when Nads has a “ word “ with Mac 😂 So his new excuse for time violations is he sweats too much ! Aye right ! ! 😂 Chancer , although a great player . I’ll acknowledge that obviously . Yes I follow Pavvy on twitter . He’s calling the Us open the 

“ Moderna open “ 😂

Is Pavvy G one of the genocide lovers.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is Pavvy G one of the genocide lovers.

Bad day at work dear ? 

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh he didn’t like being challenged , it’s far from “ classy “ 

That's not challenging,  that's being rude. If I was Rafa I'd be getting warned for slapping the *****.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Kournikova won a few titles i think but mainly had more success as a doubles partner of Martina Hingis. Just read that she got to number 8 in the rankings so must have been not too bad but cant ever recall her going deep in a slam at all.  I assume. I cant ever recall watching her play. However she certainly was more famous for her looks than her tennis. I do know that. 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Bad day at work dear ? 

Great day. Half shift, sitting watching some golf. You missing the Kosovo Albanian hater. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

That's not challenging,  that's being rude. If I was Rafa I'd be getting warned for slapping the *****.

Advocating violence. Quelle surprise. The guy asked a perfectly valid question, which incidentally most journalists don't have the guts to ask. So good on him

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Kournikova won a few titles i think but mainly had more success as a doubles partner of Martina Hingis. Just read that she got to number 8 in the rankings so must have been not too bad but cant ever recall her going deep in a slam at all.  I assume. I cant ever recall watching her play. However she certainly was more famous for her looks than her tennis. I do know that. 

I stand corrected she got to semi final of Wimbledon and won 16 career titles so not too bad i suppose. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

11 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I stand corrected she got to semi final of Wimbledon and won 16 career titles so not too bad i suppose. 

All of which were doubles.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

All of which were doubles.

16 doubles is not bad , mind you her partner was the great Martina H 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, neilnunb said:

correct mate

the 5live team must be the outliers because none of them expected emma to breeze through in fact most thought she would lose and re-inforced that early doors when she was just falling short 

emma has herself said that part of the reason she won last year was due to her hitting an unpressurised early purple patch and others underperforming - happens all the time though rarely so spectacularly

her public face suggests she doesn’t see herself as anything close to being a 10-player consistently at the moment so I’m not sure why people would judge her as that - she was perfectly entitled to play ok and lose that game last night which she did

she might not progress but even if she does it could take a couple of years - again her public face she appears to be patient enough to take time to develop and improve

probably helps with the patience when you’ve already got the us open in the bag 👑👏

I P Knightley

If, like me, you can't get a stream of the Hearts/Killie game, Andy Murray's match v Emilio Nava is providing ample enjoyment in its place.

Nava's not yet going to trouble the last 16 in a major tournament but he's young & athletic and can get a lot of shots back (less so on his backhand). Murray's old and creaky but wily and using his experience and guile to work his way into a lead. 5-7 6-3 5-1 in Murray's favour at the moment.

I wasn't up to watch it, but impressive from Draper to beat FAA in straight sets.

That will make 4 British men in the top 50, I wonder how long, if ever, since that's happened in the Open era?

Of course, with Raducanu losing, and Dart out now too, there will be no women in the top 50 and 2, only just, in the top 100...

I P Knightley
55 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I wasn't up to watch it, but impressive from Draper to beat FAA in straight sets.

That will make 4 British men in the top 50, I wonder how long, if ever, since that's happened in the Open era?

Of course, with Raducanu losing, and Dart out now too, there will be no women in the top 50 and 2, only just, in the top 100...

First time ever with 4. I think it would only be recent that there were 3. The best period i can think of would be when Rusedski and the Tiger were both in the top 16 but I can't think of anyone else who would have been around the top 50 at that time. 

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Pontificating to the missus yesterday about this and there is a real change in the attitudes of the British male players.

Gone are the days of the 'plucky loser', happy to reach the 2nd Round at Wimbers and take a set off a top player, now it is all about winning and being very aggressive and focussed about doing so. I think the Murrays set standards that the others are following, on and off the court.

I was talking about it in response to Emma's reaction to losing which seemed to me to be a little weak and accepting.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Pontificating to the missus yesterday about this and there is a real change in the attitudes of the British male players.

Gone are the days of the 'plucky loser', happy to reach the 2nd Round at Wimbers and take a set off a top player, now it is all about winning and being very aggressive and focussed about doing so. I think the Murrays set standards that the others are following, on and off the court.

I was talking about it in response to Emma's reaction to losing which seemed to me to be a little weak and accepting.

Yes British tennis players are now expected to win , rather that lose. 

Great result for Serena last night. That crowd was just wild ! But it’s her home turf and the Wimbles crowd are just as nippy when it’s a British player playing .  On the negative Konteviet must be one of the worse number 2 seeds in a long time . Still unsure how she got there . Serena will face tougher players , that’s inevitable but her tennis last night at times was very good , from the limited high lights I saw . 

318E8FCB-8671-4D57-8412-032144A7943B.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I was listening to a Radio 5 Tennis chat a few of nights ago and though they didn’t say it, it sounds like Raducanu’s Father is a bit of an interfering nightmare. He’s at every match and very overbearing and perhaps explains why she keeps changing her coach.   

17 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I was listening to a Radio 5 Tennis chat a few of nights ago and though they didn’t say it, it sounds like Raducanu’s Father is a bit of an interfering nightmare. He’s at every match and very overbearing and perhaps explains why she keeps changing her coach.   

Yes I’ve read that too . It’s not new. Steffi Graf dad was a hard task master as was Monica Seles mom and dad . There was a player who was physically abused by her dad but I can’t recall her name . Positive it was an Aussie woman. 

20 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Actually it was this woman 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/29/sport/jelena-dokic-unbreakable-abuse-father-spt/index.html

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes British tennis players are now expected to win , rather that lose. 

tournaments / slams ?

3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

tournaments / slams ?

Matches mainly , or at least get further into the draws 

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

It’s a weird business where it seems perfectly normal to allow your parent to watch you work and make decisions about your future, even though you are an adult. 

I get that it’s a continuation of the role the parent will have had since their child was very young, but still. 

I P Knightley

I stayed up to watch the Serena match, flicking back and forth to the Jack Draper match (which I stopped watching after set 1).

Very little doubt that Serena was carried along by the crowd and that Kontaveit was buffered off course by the same crowd. Had she had a little more intestinal fortitude, she'd have pumpded Serena oot.

I P Knightley
50 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s a weird business where it seems perfectly normal to allow your parent to watch you work and make decisions about your future, even though you are an adult. 

I get that it’s a continuation of the role the parent will have had since their child was very young, but still. 

I doubt that there's the same degree of parental involvement for teenagers and young adults playing other sports. Tennis parents are a particularly overbearing bunch, with their kids expected to fill some kind of hole left by the inadequacy of their own childhood. There's a line somewhere between enjoying watching your kid play sport and being a fokken mental case about the whole thing. I've come across many who've crossed that line - and you'll never hear of their kids because they don't have the talent that their parents think they can buy for them.