Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Emma.  People singing her praises need to take a sit down.  She beat an overweight 40 yo and then a player who is passed her great playing days too. 

Best to judge her against any inform player  like Jessica Pegula who has beat her in straight sets. 

Emma as a developing 19 year old player with not that many games under her belt will have taken the positives and the learning points from the pegula game

she competed reasonably well against a player with more experience and ranked higher than her

with the US open in the bag already the pressure is off (to a certain extent) to develop and improve

i dont think she’ll particularly expect to win another grand slam in the next couple of years

anyone who expects that she will it might be worth listening to her - not sure I’m seeing anyone here going over the top in praising her - as a master of multi-quote feel free to highlight them

US open in the bag at 18/19 something to build on :) maybe more to come sooner than expected 😻

[and there’s possibly a more pertinent question mark / criticism than slagging the players she’s beat but I’ll leave you to work that one out - it will feel a rabbit out the hat when you spot it 😃]

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get the feeling James already has the champagne and poppers (party) bought in for when Raducanu gets knocked out the US Open.  His obsession with her failing is weird. 🤣

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Get the feeling James already has the champagne and poppers (party) bought in for when Raducanu gets knocked out the US Open.  His obsession with her failing is weird. 🤣

Just thinks she’s completely overrated . Simple as that . She’s like the England football team. Plus she has no outstanding feature in her game which would lead me to believe she will win another slam. She will get passed a few rounds at US open but that’s it . Not 

“ obsessed “ btw . That’s rather harsh 

A Boy Named Crow
6 hours ago, neilnunb said:

It's just feeding his need for drama.

It's not enough to just have an interest in something and get on with it. He needs everything to be controversial, adversarial...it's pretty tiresome really. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 20/08/2022 at 03:11, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's just feeding his need for drama.

It's not enough to just have an interest in something and get on with it. He needs everything to be controversial, adversarial...it's pretty tiresome really. 

25E3FE60-B10A-4FF0-B2AC-DD5E214C09BD.gif

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I P Knightley
19 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

700 drink Wimbledon woman suing Nick Kyrgios :rofl:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/62644396

There'll be footage of her mouthing of to him. Therefore, it'll be shown as reasonable that he asked for her to be taken away.

As he said early in the exchange with the umpire, it's the final at Wimbledon. Players should be able to expect a certain amount of decorum from the spectators. Whether the reverse is true is moot. 

When he said she looked like she'd had 700 drinks,  bro, it was a conversation between him and the umpire. I don't know enough about the laws to be able to say she has a case but I suspect her lawyers must be confident; or else she's paid up front. (Funded by a newspaper, perhaps?)

I P Knightley
On 19/08/2022 at 19:56, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Emma as a developing 19 year old player with not that many games under her belt will have taken the positives and the learning points from the pegula game

she competed reasonably well against a player with more experience and ranked higher than her

with the US open in the bag already the pressure is off (to a certain extent) to develop and improve

i dont think she’ll particularly expect to win another grand slam in the next couple of years

anyone who expects that she will it might be worth listening to her - not sure I’m seeing anyone here going over the top in praising her - as a master of multi-quote feel free to highlight them

US open in the bag at 18/19 something to build on :) maybe more to come sooner than expected 😻

[and there’s possibly a more pertinent question mark / criticism than slagging the players she’s beat but I’ll leave you to work that one out - it will feel a rabbit out the hat when you spot it 😃]

If she hasn't won the US Open, we'd be thinking thata promising, Jo Konta like British prospect who might develop over the next couple of years into a contender for QFs and SFs in various tournaments. 

The fluke of Flushing Meadows has put a monkey on her back - not to mention her father and her own (reportedly) demanding and arrogant nature. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

If she hasn't won the US Open, we'd be thinking thata promising, Jo Konta like British prospect who might develop over the next couple of years into a contender for QFs and SFs in various tournaments. 

The fluke of Flushing Meadows has put a monkey on her back - not to mention her father and her own (reportedly) demanding and arrogant nature. 

Sounds like you vaguely know her - I don’t so can only go with her ‘public’ face

she didn’t quite call it at fluke but she described her win at the us open as a combination of her having no pressure and swinging freely and other players underperforming

with that acknowledgement there is no monkey on her back other than the imaginary monkeys placed there by others

also just about as far away from arrogant you could get in circumstances

as I say that’s the public face of course :)

from a friend of a friend I could find out the private face but maybe it shouldn’t do so :(

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Sounds like you vaguely know her - I don’t so can only go with her ‘public’ face

she didn’t quite call it at fluke but she described her win at the us open as a combination of her having no pressure and swinging freely and other players underperforming

with that acknowledgement there is no monkey on her back other than the imaginary monkeys placed there by others

also just about as far away from arrogant you could get in circumstances

as I say that’s the public face of course :)

from a friend of a friend I could find out the private face but maybe it shouldn’t do so :(

I'm friendly with a couple of guys who work on the tennis circuit and got to know quite a few of the coaches and tennis parents when Knightley Jr was doing his thing in the juniors. Stories about her dad are, sadly, typical of lots of tennis parents I've had the misfortune to know. I've no hard data to back this up but it seems more prevalent among dads of girl players than for the guys or mums. I began to hear about Papa Raducanu just after the US Open on the day that she sacked Andrew Richardson, who's chummy with my pal and hugely respected among the juniors/performance coaches.

She's clearly an intelligent girl, having the right words for when she pumpded Serena oot, for instance. And she's certainly less likely to marry Knightley Jr (as was my suggestion about 11 months ago) if word spreads that I've been suggesting she's a prickly character.

And, yes, those back-monkeys are entirely the making of the great British sports media who, by and large, don't have a clue about tennis.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
14 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm friendly with a couple of guys who work on the tennis circuit and got to know quite a few of the coaches and tennis parents when Knightley Jr was doing his thing in the juniors. Stories about her dad are, sadly, typical of lots of tennis parents I've had the misfortune to know. I've no hard data to back this up but it seems more prevalent among dads of girl players than for the guys or mums. I began to hear about Papa Raducanu just after the US Open on the day that she sacked Andrew Richardson, who's chummy with my pal and hugely respected among the juniors/performance coaches.

She's clearly an intelligent girl, having the right words for when she pumpded Serena oot, for instance. And she's certainly less likely to marry Knightley Jr (as was my suggestion about 11 months ago) if word spreads that I've been suggesting she's a prickly character.

And, yes, those back-monkeys are entirely the making of the great British sports media who, by and large, don't have a clue about tennis.

😃👍

as the great philosopher enya said once or twice “only time”

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
14 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

👍

I’ve searched the jkb standard answers for your reply :

you just don’t rate Emma as you hate wimin and @I P Knightley is obviously just a racist

thanks jkb answer bank  😃

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

you just don’t rate Emma as you hate wimin and @I P Knightley is obviously just a racist

Oh don’t I like Serena Williams ? Check back I think you’ll I do . I like tennis players for their talent on the court , not how they look , which creeps seem to get mixed up with ER 

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, AWM said:

A man of principle and honour . Not worried about chasing titles unlike snakes like Nadal . Novak is the far better human being . 

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Oh also I was a massive fan of Martina N and also Monica Seles so go bolt with your misogyny pish 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh don’t I like Serena Williams ? Check back I think you’ll I do . I like tennis players for their talent on the court , not how they look , which creeps seem to get mixed up with ER 

i should have consulted the jkb IQ variance data before making that post

apologies :(

:lion:

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

i should have consulted the jkb IQ variance data before making that post

apologies :(

:lion:

Are  u drunk already ? 😎

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
16 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Are  u drunk already ? 😎

i refer you to my previous post mate

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

I think I need one of James's GIFs.

north wales jambo
59 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

A man of principle and honour . Not worried about chasing titles unlike snakes like Nadal . Novak is the far better human being . 

Couldn’t agree more. He might lose out on record grand slams, but it’s not history he’s chasing he’s sticking to what he believes is right. 

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, north wales jambo said:

Couldn’t agree more. He might lose out on record grand slams, but it’s not history he’s chasing he’s sticking to what he believes is right. 

Yep 👍 and that’s more important . It’s tennis lovers lost that he’s not playing too . 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
33 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I think I need one of James's GIFs.

:lol:

im beginning to think trying to upload the ‘dripping with sarcasm’ emoji would have been time well spent on my post ☹️

Novax... Principles... :rofl:

He's a fan of genocidal maniacs who inject worse than covid vaccines into their opposition. And people with principles would take the vaccine to insure other were safe. A fecking fraud who hopefully never wins another GS. 

JudyJudyJudy

This will be a good match . Alize Cornet is a Wiley “ old “ player . Exceptional at times. Wouldn’t surprise me she wins in straight sets . 

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/alize-cornet-continue-playing-through-roland-garros-2022-wins-raducanu-us-open?fbclid=IwAR0cyXVhk763b9B4nE69txb8Awro08XQy6iA7BjmSPG0rbhVr1wy3ZMUEk0

12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I've found a pretty reliable streaming site that gets me every match.

I'm at my mother's tomorrow so might try and get her Amazon Prime details. 🙂

I P Knightley
40 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I'm at my mother's tomorrow so might try and get her Amazon Prime details. 🙂

Prime coverage is good but this is their last year of covering the US Open.

Adding Laura Robson to the commentary/analysis team has been an unexpected bonus but they still have Tim Henman boring on.

20 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Prime coverage is good but this is their last year of covering the US Open.

Adding Laura Robson to the commentary/analysis team has been an unexpected bonus but they still have Tim Henman boring on.

Which station takes over the broadcasting next year?

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Good win for wee Harriet Dart, beats the 10th seeded Russian, Daria Kasatkina, in 3 sets

If Dart were to win her next match and Raducanu were to lose to Cornet, Dart would become British #1 women's player.

Raducanu v Cornet not on til midnight tonight.

I P Knightley

Wee Cam Norrie through in straight sets including two bagels against the massively-bearded Benoit Paire who looked in the third set like he really couldn't give a toss. Courier and Henman suggesting in commentary that he could be in line for a fine for not bothering his arse.

JudyJudyJudy

What a fantastic pic of a proud mum. I didn't know she was his mother 

301263388_555615996360165_2607437625878152255_n.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

If Dart were to win her next match and Raducanu were to lose to Cornet, Dart would become British #1 women's player.

Raducanu v Cornet not on til midnight tonight.

The Dart win was very impressive. I caught the tail end of it and she was in terrific form.

Shame about Halep  though. 

I P Knightley

If you watch no other tennis in this championship, you must watch the second set of the Baez v Alcaraz match.

If 12 games is too much for you, then just watch the 12th game in that set.

Phenomenal stuff.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

If you watch no other tennis in this championship, you must watch the second set of the Baez v Alcaraz match.

Phenomenal stuff.

I'll check that out for sure. Both excellent players.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Tennis has its day over played and over watched 

Out !!!! 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Phenomenal stuff.

I saw some of the match . 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Homme said:

I'll check that out for sure. Both excellent players.

Bloody shame that Baez pulled up injured in set 3. I'm pretty sure Carlito was going to win it anyway but he was pretty classy in showing huge respect for his injured opponent.