• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Banned from the Australian and US for good. So that leaves the French for Rafa and Wimbledon for Lance. So 23 v 22 to the greatest.nadal-funny.gif

not banned mate he can play in these tournaments if he wishes - chooses not to bother for obvious reasons 

:)

Novax supporters getting all out of shape with Rafa, he didn't make Lance lie about his vaccine or make him not get vaccinated, that's his choice, he made himself ineligible to play the Australian and US opens. Novax will win no more, as the young team are coming for him. Rafa knows this and will probably retire. 

Anyway, who does Novax play in the next round? 

3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

not banned mate he can play in these tournaments if he wishes - chooses not to bother for obvious reasons 

He can't enter Australia for 3 years and needs to be vaccinated for The US, so he's banned. Simple.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He can't enter Australia for 3 years and needs to be vaccinated for The US, so he's banned. Simple.

Banned from Australia not banned from the US then  :)👍👍

choosing not to play in the US tournament

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

He’s a waste of space mate. I don’t even reply to him . Face tripping him cause dope head got caught out with his cheating and game playing , as evidenced last night in the Tiafoe match.  Novak will come back bigger and stronger next year . Meanwhile you’ll be lucky if dopehead manages to find another vein to to “ help “ in his performances .  He looked exhausted and wrecked last night , meanwhile Novak is as fit as a fiddle . No vaccine , no Covid . A man of integrity and principles.  A fitting end to the slam year for Dopehead . Out on his erse in the 4th round !!’ 

016EE46F-4575-43C7-AA45-FF8C428B9803.gif

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

He will be allowed in Oz in January . It’s a new Govt now , so less politics about it . That’s all it was , politics . It’s been proven that tennis needs Novak , simple as that , these slams need him . Good chance he will smash all 4 next year . There is s god after all . 

9 hours ago, neilnunb said:

YAY BABY!!! 🥳🥳🥳

Stick to your clay, Rafa! 👋

Yeah I’m happy with any of them winning it really . Some fresh blood in the tennis world . Think it will be either Alcaraz or Sinner. 

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Novax will be too busy in the Hague.

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s a waste of space mate. I don’t even reply to him . Face tripping him cause dope head got caught out with his cheating and game playing , as evidenced last night in the Tiafoe match.  Novak will come back bigger and stronger next year . Meanwhile you’ll be lucky if dopehead manages to find another vein to to “ help “ in his performances .  He looked exhausted and wrecked last night , meanwhile Novak is as fit as a fiddle . No vaccine , no Covid . A man of integrity and principles.  A fitting end to the slam year for Dopehead . Out on his erse in the 4th round !!’ 

016EE46F-4575-43C7-AA45-FF8C428B9803.gif

You're both very strange.

1 hour ago, AWM said:

You're both very strange.

I don't understand why people get so angry about Novak tbh

He has a principle and is sticking to it. Has cost him millions as well.

He is the modern day Eric Liddell :)

New Town Loafer
51 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don't understand why people get so angry about Novak tbh

He has a principle and is sticking to it. Has cost him millions as well.

He is the modern day Eric Liddell :)

It's ****ing bizarre. A genuinely principled man who has made a decision based on what he thinks is best for him.

10 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

It's ****ing bizarre. A genuinely principled man who has made a decision based on what he thinks is best for him.

Some people don’t like people who stand by their own principles by making an informed choice , which he did . As we recall with the covid issue it was absolutely none of my concern if someone was vaccinated or not . Their body autonomy . What was more impressive about Novak is he had a lot more to lose than the man on the street. He sacrificed competing in grand slams due to this . Principles over titles . 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Well the good thing is, with Cilic losing, we'll be getting a new Slam winner.  😎

And it's quite likely we'll have a new world #1, too. If Alcaraz makes the final, he overtakes Nadal; likewise with Ruud, although I think he'd have to win the final to become #1.

34 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

What bugs me is the "what-if" from folk who say "If he hadn't been 'banned' from... he'd be GOAT." Obviously, if we measure GOAT as who's won the most slams, and if he's at all bothered, Novak's not done himslef any favours. However, like Liddell, when he makes his decisions, he knows the outcomes so, to me, there's no use bleating about it.

If Wimbledon had awarded ranking points this year, he'd be #2 or #3 in the world; he'd be in the top 8 for the end of season finals (as would Kyrgios). So we can "what-if" all we want but he's been impacted just as badly by things outside his control as by his own decisions. Incidentally, to put the mockers on that decision by the ATP to not award points at Wimblers, it is looking likely that Djoko and Kyrgios's spots will be filled by the two Russkies, Medvedev and Rublev.

Sing about THAT, Alanis!!!

I P Knightley
33 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Some people don’t like people who stand by their own principles by making an informed choice , which he did . As we recall with the covid issue it was absolutely none of my concern if someone was vaccinated or not . Their body autonomy . What was more impressive about Novak is he had a lot more to lose than the man on the street. He sacrificed competing in grand slams due to this . Principles over titles . 

Oh, and also... I know of two people who are out working at Flushing Meadows for the tournament and getting close to many of the players - probably more than Djokovic would be within spitting distance of. Neither of them was asked to prove their vaccination status at any point between the UK and London. One of them I know to be fully vaccinated; the other, judging by various tweets and statements over the last couple of years, may well not be. The whole thing's a farce.

I P Knightley

Finally, for now, if you're at a loose end this evening but want to watch some sport, you could do worse than watching some of the doubles. I watched the final set of Glasspool/Heliovaara v Kyrgios/Kokkinakis last night and it was hugely enjoyable. Of course, some of you may want to watch Celtic v Real Madrid but there's no accounting for tastes.

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Oh, and also... I know of two people who are out working at Flushing Meadows for the tournament and getting close to many of the players - probably more than Djokovic would be within spitting distance of. Neither of them was asked to prove their vaccination status at any point between the UK and London. One of them I know to be fully vaccinated; the other, judging by various tweets and statements over the last couple of years, may well not be. The whole thing's a farce.

It really was a farce . However maybe no coincidence “ Moderna ” one of the main sponsors this year of it .

13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

And it's quite likely we'll have a new world #1, too. If Alcaraz makes the final, he overtakes Nadal; likewise with Ruud, although I think he'd have to win the final to become #1.

What bugs me is the "what-if" from folk who say "If he hadn't been 'banned' from... he'd be GOAT." Obviously, if we measure GOAT as who's won the most slams, and if he's at all bothered, Novak's not done himslef any favours. However, like Liddell, when he makes his decisions, he knows the outcomes so, to me, there's no use bleating about it.

If Wimbledon had awarded ranking points this year, he'd be #2 or #3 in the world; he'd be in the top 8 for the end of season finals (as would Kyrgios). So we can "what-if" all we want but he's been impacted just as badly by things outside his control as by his own decisions. Incidentally, to put the mockers on that decision by the ATP to not award points at Wimblers, it is looking likely that Djoko and Kyrgios's spots will be filled by the two Russkies, Medvedev and Rublev.

Sing about THAT, Alanis!!!

Oh that’s poetic Justice having 2 Russians at the end of year finals . 😂 pathetic that a Wimbledon champ csng be there though . Yes the GOAT argument has numerous flaws / permutations . There has been a lot in the media lately about Margaret Court v Serena . I really get both sides but I can understand where Court is coming from too . Some top players did play Aussie I open in the 1960s ( Maria B , Anne Jones , Christine Truman and latterly BJ King ) so she did have stiff competition at times . She also won slams after having children ( twice ) and won lots of ladies doubles and mixed doubles . I honestly think that if it’s slams she is the GOAT . People are conflating it with her personal views about other issues . I also feel that there may be a woke agenda to argue Serena is GOAT ? 

Both outstanding players but my big 

“ what if “ is Monica Seles . I’ve mentioned it numerous times before . She would have been a GOAT contender barring the stabbing . 

I think Novak has accepted the bans and is aware it has been his own decision . I don’t think he’s a record chaser like Nadal .

16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Finally, for now, if you're at a loose end this evening but want to watch some sport, you could do worse than watching some of the doubles. I watched the final set of Glasspool/Heliovaara v Kyrgios/Kokkinakis last night and it was hugely enjoyable. Of course, some of you may want to watch Celtic v Real Madrid but there's no accounting for tastes.

Rudd against Berretinni doesn’t fill me with any excitement really so may watch some doubles . 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Rudd against Berretinni doesn’t fill me with any excitement really so may watch some doubles . 

I thought that Berretinni v anyone gave you particular excitement :D

I'll be rooting for him as I'd like to see him back in the top 8 'cos he's a nice chap. However, I'm rooting for Kyrgios for the title.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

I thought that Berretinni v anyone gave you particular excitement :D

I'll be rooting for him as I'd like to see him back in the top 8 'cos he's a nice chap. However, I'm rooting for Kyrgios for the title.

😂😂😂 oh aye that’s true ! So might have a wee look in on it . 

yes Kyrgios for me too . 

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Boy in maroon called Ruud(i) pumping the crap out of Berretini in the first set. :turmoil:

He always wears maroon or green ! Mateo needs a haircut ! 

Jeffros Furios
51 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Why do people need there to be a GOAT?

It's usually people who don't follow the sport just a star player ,

A bit like someone telling you they support Barcelona and Man Utd .

I'm never too keen to see a sport dominated by one person or one team .

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

It's a modern day social media phenomenon. May have started in the USA with their basketball but has reached it's peak (depth?) with the endlessly tiresome Messi/Ronaldo debate.

21 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Before you depart the UK you need to fill in an online attestation form, or you can do it in person at the airport, to show your vaccination status before entering the US.

2 hours ago, Homme said:

I am struggling to live in a world where Caroline Garcia is awesome at Tennis.

I dont understand what you mean ?  

I P Knightley
19 minutes ago, jvm32 said:

Before you depart the UK you need to fill in an online attestation form, or you can do it in person at the airport, to show your vaccination status before entering the US.

Interesting. My pal seems pretty convinced that he's not been asked but maybe he had someone do it for him.

12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Interesting. My pal seems pretty convinced that he's not been asked but maybe he had someone do it for him.

Aye, someone could do it on your behalf, but they need to see the QR code with your vacination status on it as part of the attestation process otherwise your not getting in, had to do it a few times myself over the last year.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I dont understand what you mean ?  

She has been utter dogshit for years and she is now suddenly brilliant.

Delighted for her. Just can't fathom where the form has come from.

Edited by Homme

8 minutes ago, Homme said:

She has been utter dogshit for years and she is now suddenly brilliant.

Delighted for her. Just can't fathom where the form has come from.

Not really . She just hasn’t fullfilled her potential I feel 

47 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Not really . She just hasn’t fullfilled her potential I feel 

She has been piss poor and has shown absolutely no potential over the past two / three / four years. That's not even debatable IMO.

Before that she looked good yes. Looked like she had peaked and was destined for mediocrity though.

5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

The Aussie/Greek superbrat out. 🤣  I am loving this years US Open. 

Took it well though

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Homme said:

She has been piss poor and has shown absolutely no potential over the past two / three / four years. That's not even debatable IMO.

Before that she looked good yes. Looked like she had peaked and was destined for mediocrity though.

This is the hope to which Raducanu is clinging. I suppose it shows with Garcia that resurrections are possible. Raducanu is not the only one who'd be watching on with interest. Women's tennis is all over the place; so much so that it would hardly surprise me if Peng Shuai came roaring through the field in next year's Aussie Open.

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

This is the hope to which Raducanu is clinging. I suppose it shows with Garcia that resurrections are possible. Raducanu is not the only one who'd be watching on with interest. Women's tennis is all over the place; so much so that it would hardly surprise me if Peng Shuai came roaring through the field in next year's Aussie Open.

Or Serena ! I think she might have one last gasp at the Aussie open. ! It was her favourite hunting ground . Hope not . She needs to officially call it a day . Garcia is a terrific , stylish guy player , great to watch . Her match against Jabeur will be a delight to watch . Drops shots and lobs galore . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Emma’s not clinging to anything or requiring a resurrection

her US open triumph was an outlier in her early career - a result of her playing tennis beyond what’s she is at the moment capable of doing consistently and other players not playing their best - an amazing championship win irrespective

shes just looking to improve to a level way below winning the US open and once she’s done that improve incrementally until she’s is winning everything with a smile and become the undisputed queen of modern tennis 😻 winning deserved plaudits from scholars of the game like your good self and of course triple-jay

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

I just mentioned it as it’s been all over social media regarding Serena Williams v Margaret Court . It’s a hard one to call as I said . Mind you I watched some tennis on YouTube last night . It was a 2003 match between Monica and Serena . Serena was just incredible really . Massive serve , lobs , volleys , and just pure power play against the original power player . Impressive stuff , 

2 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

triple-jay

I like that  :) 

Yes Emma can and will improve but also her opponents will too. Works both ways   

Great win there by Tiafoe . Superb serving and those drop volleys !! Wow ! 

Oh and step aside Berretinni! Tiafoe ,,,,,,,,  

7355347F-46CB-4546-B8AF-7537CAFCC35B.gif

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I like that  :) 

Yes Emma can and will improve but also her opponents will too. Works both ways   

can’t remember what poster it was who first referred to you as that - presumably a boxing fan like myself I’ve just followed on from their creativity :(

emma will leave them all choking in the dust    

23 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

can’t remember what poster it was who first referred to you as that - presumably a boxing fan like myself I’ve just followed on from their creativity :(

emma will leave them all choking in the dust    

Never heard it before ! Made me laugh anyway 😂😂

14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I'd make Sinner the favourite for the tournament from here

Well he just blew that 4th set !