Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Looks ready to cry when she loses a point now.

Badosa was like that earlier

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

She looks like she wants to puke 

Stomach muscle pain would do that to you

Where is Jonathan Pearce and his it gets dark in this part of the country early jibes about Scotland. Its still really light up here and London looks like its dark.

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Feel like she just wants to win this game to prove herself then she is going to retire injured anyway.

Called it lad 😞

Just now, neilnunb said:

Awww nightmare

Gutted for her. Ripped or severe pull maybe. Shes so animated through her shots and you could see the difference in the last game of the first set

Sooperstar
Just now, sadj said:

Called it lad 😞

Gutted for her, but if she has done herself an injury then better that she pulls out rather than make it worse by playing on.

Maroon Sailor

Game, half set and match Tomljanovic 6-4 3-0

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Sooperstar
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Gutted for her. Ripped or severe pull maybe. Shes so animated through her shots and you could see the difference in the last game of the first set

There was one point late on in the 1st set, a long rally, where she seemed to give up on it and just stopped playing.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

There was one point late on in the 1st set, a long rally, where she seemed to give up on it and just stopped playing.

Yh when she doubled over. Quite possible. 

PortyJambo
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Was just going to say that too, she seemed to bend over with her hands on her knees without making a huge effort. I thought it was just a tiring point that she just couldn't reach, but could have done something there during the point.

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

McEnroe talking authentic frontier gibberish

Hope he isn't expecting a call from the BBC next year 🤣

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Looked like a torn stomach muscle

Maybe a bit of both. Looked like she was struggling to breathe and burst into tears. 

The other thing to consider of course that she’s a young woman and may have issues with endometriosis or the beginnings of it. Which would be a real shame as it will be something that is an ongoing issue for her. 

Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Maybe a bit of both. Looked like she was struggling to breathe and burst into tears. 

Seems more likely that the difficulty breathing and tears were down to or indirectly caused by the injury. Would be surprised if she pulled out because of a panic attack. Emotions are funny things though so we will just have to wait and see.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

So what are folk up in arms for? It's true. 

Basically, no one has any idea why the lass has had to pull out but McEnroe was happy to wax lyrical at how she'd had a panic attach. 

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Tbh at the start it sounded like he was dubious about her injury. Actually thought he was half drunk too.

Also implied she wasn't up to the challenge just yet.

Just thought he was a bit harsh. He doesn't know what's wrong with her. It's also her first big event and still getting used to the power of the elite players.

Balding and Croft seemed a bit taken aback. 😁

hughesie27
27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

He basically just assumed it was all down to emotion/pressure/panic attack rather than even considering that it was physical.

He clearly knew how it was sou ding though and bleated on for another 45 seconds talking about how he struggled with emotions on court (coming out as anger for him though) and that the Pros today could teach her a thing or too about how to stay composed.

I missed the end of 1st set/start of 2nd set so never seen much before the last 2 games. Everything after that though seemed quite panic attacky. 

Edited by hughesie27

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Thought Jaegger bust her shoulder? Isnt she crazy religious and philanthropic 

She went through mad spell but seems quite sorted now. She was a nun for a time ! 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Bit of good advice from Navratilova

You've got to clear the net

Martina is usually a very good commentator 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Oh come on Martina, you defo have seen players retire before. 🤣

They tended to retire as they knew they couldn’t beat her . She was such a great player . That lefty serve and the wee serve and volley snd sliced back hand 

58 minutes ago, sadj said:

Balding talking more shite than McEnroe

Oh he’s terrific , brash loud New Yorker 

54 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Basically 'shit happens' 😁

Hes right 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, sadj said:

No chance thats only 75%

There doesn't seem to be any spacing. The top tier of centre court has been completely empty and the middle tier back rows too.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Bit of good advice from Navratilova

You've got to clear the net

That's the kind of helpful advice I give when I see a tennis player hit the net. "Try hitting it a little bit higher!" It usually goes down well, I'd say.

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Ill massage it 😈 i mean oh not good

Good man, Sadj. Ready to keep your end up for British tennis. It's a sacrifice that few would be willing to make but I knew that there would be at least one in the ranks of JKB who would march to the fore.

Makes me proud to be an arsehole!

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

There doesn't seem to be any spacing. The top tier of centre court has been completely empty and the middle tier back rows too.

That's the kind of helpful advice I give when I see a tennis player hit the net. "Try hitting it a little bit higher!" It usually goes down well, I'd say.

Good man, Sadj. Ready to keep your end up for British tennis. It's a sacrifice that few would be willing to make but I knew that there would be at least one in the ranks of JKB who would march to the fore.

Makes me proud to be an arsehole!

🤣🤣🤣 

Feel for her tbh , a pulled / ripped stomach muscle is brutal. If thats what it is

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Advising a tennis player to get the ball over the net is as astute as it comes.

Top level coaches could learn a thing or two with that shrewd mentality

51 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hes right 

I see your man Berrettini is shagging Raducanu's victor.

Never mind though...shit happens! 😁

Edited by neilnunb

39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Ironically Raducana's victor had been involved in quite the spat when her opponent suffered an 'injury' in the previous round, and was very forthright and vocal in telling her she wasn't hurt.

I couldn't possibly comment. 🤐

48 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Whos Harriet Minter , what a load of shite. I didnt think he said she was only emotional. He spoke about the fact when he first became a known person his life changed and it was overwhelming. Dont think he ever said she isnt injured

16 minutes ago, sadj said:

Whos Harriet Minter , what a load of shite. I didnt think he said she was only emotional. He spoke about the fact when he first became a known person his life changed and it was overwhelming. Dont think he ever said she isnt injured

That twitter thread is a joke. Utterly shambolic , how dare a tennis player understand the psyche of a tennis player

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 hours ago, sadj said:

McEnroe was bang on. She couldn’t handle the occasion (which is fair enough, she’s only young). Look again at the way she was celebrating some points in the first set, way over the top and clearly too fired up

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Cancel culture in action from a bitter woman. 

How dare she bring McEnroe’s sex/gender into it. What bloody difference does it make? 

McEnroe basically lanced the fawning over ER from the start. Everyone going on about a devastating end to her dream as if the game was in the balance - she was starting to take a proper pasting and clearly had nothing left. He just said it like it was. Some of the BBC’s Wimbledon coverage can be so pathetic.

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Oh that means nothin really ! Maybe he’s using her as a beard still hope for me yet lol 

9 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Ironically Raducana's victor had been involved in quite the spat when her opponent suffered an 'injury' in the previous round, and was very forthright and vocal in telling her she wasn't hurt.

I couldn't possibly comment. 🤐

Yes I saw that the other night . Was slightly Unprofessional of her 

9 hours ago, sadj said:

That twitter thread is a joke. Utterly shambolic , how dare a tennis player understand the psyche of a tennis player

Shes pathetic really 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

McEnroe basically lanced the fawning over ER from the start. Everyone going on about a devastating end to her dream as if the game was in the balance - she was starting to take a proper pasting and clearly had nothing left. He just said it like it was. Some of the BBC’s Wimbledon coverage can be so pathetic.

He says it how it is . He wax right . I recall a years ago he was asked about heather Watson’s future prospects by jolly hockey sticks pie face Susan Barker and he said “ oh she’s a nice girl “ made no further comment . In other words no tennis future and he was right . He’s very astute 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh that means nothin really ! Maybe he’s using her as a beard still hope for me yet lol 

Yes I saw that the other night . Was slightly Unprofessional of her 

Shes pathetic really 

He says it how it is . He wax right . I recall a years ago he was asked about heather Watson’s future prospects by jolly hockey sticks pie face Susan Barker and he said “ oh she’s a nice girl “ made no further comment . In other words no tennis future and he was right . He’s very astute 

Sue Barker is the ultimate sycophant and Clare Balding, who I’ve always rated as a presenter, is no better when it comes to Wimbledon. The on court interviewer last night was a prick too. “This isn’t the way you’d want to reach a quarter final” as if it was 2-2 in the first set 🙄

Although this Radacanu does look talented. Good ground strokes and definite scope for improvement. The hype around her is no worse than the hype around that Coco Gauff (who everyone seems to have decided is the next Serena)

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 hours ago, neilnunb said:

There was me thinking this was some hot lesbian action. Sorry James, penny’s only just dropped :lol: :facepalm:

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Sue Barker is the ultimate sycophant and Clare Balding, who I’ve always rated as a presenter, is no better when it comes to Wimbledon. The on court interviewer last night was a prick too. “This isn’t the way you’d want to reach a quarter final” as if it was 2-2 in the first set 🙄

Although this Radacanu does look talented. Good ground strokes and definite scope for improvement. The hype around her is no worse than the hype around that Coco Gauff (who everyone seems to have decided is the next Serena)

Yes she is a crawling sycophant as you rightly say . However did have a not too bad career so has some kudo re her tennis knowledge I guess . Whereas that Baulding is awful . She really annoys me with her lack of knowledge and attempts at “ humour “ pathetic . I haven’t actually seen the English girl play so can’t comment so not sure if it’s a fuss over nothing like we had with Heather Watson who’s claim to fame is “ nearly beating Queen Serena “ ! Gauff is still only 17 so she has time to improve but to my dismay she seemed quite average against Kerber who was excellent 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There was me thinking this was some hot lesbian action. Sorry James, penny’s only just dropped :lol: :facepalm:

692BDB5A-53F7-4136-9159-E02DE41EFEC0.jpeg

PortyJambo
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes she is a crawling sycophant as you rightly say . However did have a not too bad career so has some kudo re her tennis knowledge I guess . Whereas that Baulding is awful . She really annoys me with her lack of knowledge and attempts at “ humour “ pathetic . I haven’t actually seen the English girl play so can’t comment so not sure if it’s a fuss over nothing like we had with Heather Watson who’s claim to fame is “ nearly beating Queen Serena “ ! Gauff is still only 17 so she has time to improve but to my dismay she seemed quite average against Kerber who was excellent 

Raducanu definitely wasn't playing as well yesterday as she was in her previous game, even before she called for medical attention. In her last game almost everything she tried was coming off, so much so that she showed surprise at some of her shots landing in. Only time will tell if that was the level she can reach consistently or if that was just one of those games where everything comes together.

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Raducanu definitely wasn't playing as well yesterday as she was in her previous game, even before she called for medical attention. In her last game almost everything she tried was coming off, so much so that she showed surprise at some of her shots landing in. Only time will tell if that was the level she can reach consistently or if that was just one of those games where everything comes together.

I thought she played alright - the difference was Tomljanovic won the long rallies. She was stronger in that respect

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )