• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlimOzturk
14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Djokovic seems to be invincible despite having no big bombs.  He's just incredibly effective at being awkward.  

Think his fitness and stamina is his big bomb. Literally can chase every single shot and at the end of the match look like has barely even broke a sweat. 

rudi must stay
59 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Every big point Djokovic takes

It's a battle but the experience and know-how is telling

Djokovic plays tennis like a coach tells you to. Don't be risky, keep it central and make them make the mistakes. It is what his game is built on. In moments he's in trouble he goes back to those things

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Think his fitness and stamina is his big bomb. Literally can chase every single shot and at the end of the match look like has barely even broke a sweat. 

Yep.  Seems to get maximum court coverage with maximum efficiency.  Always seems to be hitting well within himself,  often gets good depth and angles.  Awkward and iron solid.

AlimOzturk
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Love it. Djokovic winning matches at Wimbledon annoys the fans so much. He feeds off their seethe. :) 

Never understood the hate for him. He is arguably now the GOAT. Win this final that will be 6 Wimbledon wins and 20 grand slam titles. I remember when him and Murray were comparable in terms of ability and many asked who could be the one to challenge Nadal and Fed. Well he hasn’t only challenged them but looks like he could actually go on to surpass them. 

He might not have the right pretty style of play or likeable persona but **** me he is just an incredible athlete and effective tennis player. 

Maroon Sailor

I'd like to see Djokovic win all 4 slams in the same year.

Nadal's stranglehold on that French Open has made it almost impossible for him or Fed to do it.

I think Djokovic is great, completely maximised his ability and potential. On court, just a complete winner.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Darren said:

I think Djokovic is great, completely maximised his ability and potential. On court, just a complete winner.

He’s effortless really . But lacks any charm on court , but it’s the tennis which matters I guess .  Hes rather quirky when interviewed so can imagine he would be fun to have around for a smoke ! 😂 I’m warming to him now actually . I can imagine he will win relatively easy against the Italian stallion !   As for the women’s I’m not bothered who wins in . Both deserve it for different reasons . Barty is an all round / court all fashioned player a la Martina whereas Pliskova is from the hard hitting strikes academy pioneered by my favourite tennis player Monica Seles . It’s going to be a great match but only if It’s Pliskova serves like she has been doing lately . If not she’s toast . I’ll miss it am at a bit of a doo 

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, jonesy said:

I don't care much for the GOAT debate, although I would say they need to be backed up by stats. Once he wins the same or more than Federer and Nadal, then he's got a shout.

The lack of support for him speaks volumes about the type of person watching him at Wimbledon. 

All of the big three seem like decent folk, who have coped with the fame and pressure in their different ways, while maintaining a level of tennis this will probably never be repeated. The wheels are, however, now definitely starting to come off for Federer and Nadal. If Berrettini wins on Sunday, then perhaps we're seeing a change of the guard at last.

Yes they are all different interesting personalities and it’s truly been a golden age for men’s tennis in the last 10 /15 years . They all have various different records so any of them can be considered the best of all time but weirdly all of them have their slams titles skewed by one event , Nadal the French , Novak the Aussie and Fed Wimbledon . So one could argue they are all equal . I think Fed has been almost weeks as number one which Some consider the barometer for the GOAT . However you can Be number one without wining a slam . It’s unusual but it happens ( Simona Halep) I think if Novak gets a few more slams under him he will then quite right be considered the GOAT 

Maroon Sailor

This 11th game in the 2nd set looks pivotal

5-5

Pliskova 40-0 and hits a volley in to the net

Barty takes the game and now serving for the match at 6-5

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Looking forward to the final today. 

I imagine there'll be a lot of conflicted English people in the crowd - support the Italian or not?

Hope Djokovic wins to ram it up those who dismiss him as somehow inferior to the other big 2. Berrettini has, however, shown he can really play on grass (since the first round at Queens, the other week, really), and it would be sort of welcome to see the Big 3 stranglehold on the GSs truly look like coming to an end.

I think it’ll be a straight sets win for Novak . The sets may be tight though . It still doesn’t feel like the young team are making that break through yet by winning a slam . Apart from Thiem at the US open . 

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

And even then, Thiem only won because Djokovic got disqualified after the line judge did a Harry Kane.

😎👍

On 09/07/2021 at 22:33, Maroon Sailor said:

I'd like to see Djokovic win all 4 slams in the same year.

Nadal's stranglehold on that French Open has made it almost impossible for him or Fed to do it.

I'd look at it more as Nadal is the best ever on clay, Federer the best ever on grass and Djokovic the best ever hard court player. 

I P Knightley
On 28/06/2021 at 08:50, I P Knightley said:

It's hard to see past Djokovic for this one. Berretini is possibly the strongest contender

Post of the year :smuggy:

I P Knightley
Just now, Spellczech said:

Italian looks injured.

He didn't have that leg strapping on in earlier rounds, did he?

Francis Albert

Only started watching at the last couple of games of the first set. The fact that Berretini actually tries to  pass loose balls to the ball boys rather than leaving them to scramble after them puts me in his camp.

I P Knightley

Neither of them is stringing together a decent run of form. Djoko is more erratic than Berrettini.

The crowd is heavily on Berrettini's side which, therefore, puts me on Djoko's. They're twats.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Neither of them is stringing together a decent run of form. Djoko is more erratic than Berrettini.

The crowd is heavily on Berrettini's side which, therefore, puts me on Djoko's. They're twats.

Were they twats when they were all over Murray? Despite Murray occasionally being a bit of a twat.

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Good match. Football now for some reason on BBC commentary!

Watch it on Wimbledon.org. There's a bit of football chat but no Andrew Castle. 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Were they twats when they were all over Murray? Despite Murray occasionally being a bit of a twat.

They're always twats.

Francis Albert
Just now, I P Knightley said:

They're always twats.

Well yes. The continual shouting before every serve in the womens final yesterday very annoying. Umpire should have said STFU. 

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Watch it on Wimbledon.org. There's a bit of football chat but no Andrew Castle. 

Does McInroe do US commentary for the mens final? Is that why we have C list Castle? Becker isn't great either.

Maroon Sailor

Thankfully no football on for next year's tournament

They need to look at the scheduling during the football years. Maybe play the 2nd week after the football has finished.

Fed up with the references and reminders as well as those chants

Maroon Sailor

Big hold from Djokovic from 0-30 and winning the 4th point of the game

3-3

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Fascinating game this one. Djokovic’s attitude towards the crowd isn’t great - but I can imagine he sees them a mile up Roger’s arse and wonders why he’s not popular. Still the man to beat but you can tell that the challenge of staying there is going to get bigger and bigger. Couple more years before he goes over the hill

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Djokovic wins an incredible point

Tremendous respect between the players on these big points. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )