Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Any doubting his goat status now?

Equal amount of grand slam 

better record against the big 3

More ATP tournament wins. 

more time as number 1 than anyone. 

has won each major more than once. Beaten Nadal and Federer on their own turfs (french and Wimbledon)

He also didn’t play anywhere near his best today and still won against easily against a player in the form of his life. Need to let that sink in for a minute 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

has won each major more than once. Beaten Nadal and Federer on their own turfs (french and Wimbledon)

He also didn’t play anywhere near his best today and still won against easily against a player in the form of his life. Need to let that sink in for a minute 

He really is. Although none of the Wimbledon crowd will ever accept that 

41 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Djokovic will win at least 10 more Slams, so i doubt anyone will argue that he is. 

Jambos_1874

Very difficult to argue against him being GOAT now. It's a shame that he perhaps doesn't get the respect he deserves and that a lot of the tennis supporting public hasn't taken to him. An incredible player and a great champion.

As an aside, I generally rise above all of the hysteria regarding England and the Euros final but I was raging that the normally dependable Sue Barker asked Djokovic about it. Absolutely no need and poor form IMO.

I P Knightley
46 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I had a discussion with someone about this last night. Trying to claim that because Nadal excels on clay, he only has one GS event to build up the numbers; likewise with Fed on grass and Wimbledon but that because Djoko is a hard-courter, he has an unfair numerical advantage with two GSs in his pocket.

He was sure of this until I asked him to look at the US Open over the last 12 years and tell me whether it was Rafa or Djoko who had won it the most. Even when he found out it was Rafa, he still tried to force home the point. Just another anti-Djoko for whatever reason people are anti-Djoko.

He was quite far short of his best today, as you say; Berrettini may have been carrying a slight injury but Djoko's strength is his resilience and he sure made it count this afternoon.

And he'll go on to pick up a few more Masters 1000s, possibly the Olympics, very possibly the US Open and I'd guess at 4 more Grand Slams over the next two years. Absolutely no doubt in my mond that he's the best we've ever seen. He acknowledged, though, in his speech that if it weren't for Roger & Rafa, he'd have had no cause to raise his game to the level that he's been able to do so we must count ourselves very lucky to have been watching the game while these guys have been duking it out.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Djokovic will win at least 10 more Slams, so i doubt anyone will argue that he is. 

Dunno about ten but I reckon at least another 2-4. He is 34 now and, up until Nadal/Fed/Djokovic tennis is a young mans game. 

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Dunno about ten but I reckon at least another 2-4. He is 34 now and, up until Nadal/Fed/Djokovic tennis is a young mans game. 

Ahh, I thought he was younger. He's extremely fit, almost alien. 

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, jonesy said:

Most of them thought Tim Henman would win the tournament. I'd take their opinion on tennis the same way I'd take Neil Dongcaster's on integrity.

Oh yes  “ Tiger Tim “ dearie me he was more of a soft cuddly pussy cat really 😂

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh yes  “ Tiger Tim “ dearie me he was more of a soft cuddly pussy cat really 😂

Good player but his serve and volley game just came about at the wrong time. If he was playing ten years prior he would have been a major winner IMO. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Good player but his serve and volley game just came about at the wrong time. If he was playing ten years prior he would have been a major winner IMO. 

Yes he was decent enough . Not an issue with him 

Malinga the Swinga
On 11/07/2021 at 16:20, Francis Albert said:

Does McInroe do US commentary for the mens final? Is that why we have C list Castle? Becker isn't great either.

Yep, McEnroe commentated on US TV for men's singles final. Allows us to hear the wisdom of the major winner  Mr Castle. I mean, the way he picks up on the mistakes Djokovic makes, he must have won about 10 majors himself.

Federer pulls out of the Olympics. Knee issue flared up. Can see him retiring after the US.

Konta out of Olympics also. 

11 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Federer pulls out of the Olympics. Knee issue flared up. Can see him retiring after the US.

Konta out of Olympics also. 

Djokovic can dominate for another 2 or 3 year now if he wants it badly enough. The field of players just aren’t anywhere near as good as the previous generation of players. Sad to see a decline in tennis. 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Djokovic can dominate for another 2 or 3 year now if he wants it badly enough. The field of players just aren’t anywhere near as good as the previous generation of players. Sad to see a decline in tennis. 

It was almost certain to happen.

We've had an era of 10-12 years where the three greatest players to have been in the sport have been there at the same time.

Sampras had a great record but there wasn't anyone really near and pushing him and tennis was lucky that in his wake came these three. The three of them have inspired and motivated a few others to be greater than they would otherwise ever have been (Murray, Stan, Delpo) and they've been lucky and good enough to nudge their way in to a handful of slams.

The youngsters have been labelled "NextGen" by the ATP and had their own end of season finals. So, in effect, they've been told, "you're not playing with the big boys." I can only guess but I believe it makes them think that they're 'not worthy' and there's no point trying to compete - their time will come; and it will. However, they're less motivated to get to a level where they'll compete with Djoko than Murray was because, in effect, they have an easier option - to bide their time.

When Djoko retires or wanes, we should see good battles between Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Berrettini, Medvedev, Felix A-A, possibly Korda and others. They'll have a close rivalry but, whether they produce as good tennis as Djoko, Fed & Rafa have done remains to be seen. My bet is that there won't be a dominant player among them and I can't at the minute see a pack of three of them emerging to be like the crrent big 3. I think I'm looking forward to a change of speed and a top 8 that's closer together than we've had for the last 15 years.

58 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

My bet is that there won't be a dominant player among them and I can't at the minute see a pack of three of them emerging to be like the crrent big 3. I think I'm looking forward to a change of speed and a top 8 that's closer together than we've had for the last 15 years.

I'm looking forward to it also. I think the good thing about the women's game just now is that every Slam is so wide open and I think the men's game will benefit from a period like that.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

It was almost certain to happen.

We've had an era of 10-12 years where the three greatest players to have been in the sport have been there at the same time.

Sampras had a great record but there wasn't anyone really near and pushing him and tennis was lucky that in his wake came these three. The three of them have inspired and motivated a few others to be greater than they would otherwise ever have been (Murray, Stan, Delpo) and they've been lucky and good enough to nudge their way in to a handful of slams.

The youngsters have been labelled "NextGen" by the ATP and had their own end of season finals. So, in effect, they've been told, "you're not playing with the big boys." I can only guess but I believe it makes them think that they're 'not worthy' and there's no point trying to compete - their time will come; and it will. However, they're less motivated to get to a level where they'll compete with Djoko than Murray was because, in effect, they have an easier option - to bide their time.

When Djoko retires or wanes, we should see good battles between Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Berrettini, Medvedev, Felix A-A, possibly Korda and others. They'll have a close rivalry but, whether they produce as good tennis as Djoko, Fed & Rafa have done remains to be seen. My bet is that there won't be a dominant player among them and I can't at the minute see a pack of three of them emerging to be like the crrent big 3. I think I'm looking forward to a change of speed and a top 8 that's closer together than we've had for the last 15 years.

It might be the case that once Djokovic and Nadal (he might be finished, wait to see) are over the hill or retire these players will push each other to another level closer to what we have come to expect with Fed, Djokovic and Nadal. It must be a tough thing to come into a match with either of those players having probably idolised them your whole life and knowing how special they are to then lift your game and win. 

Federer set the standard and nadal and Djokovic (Murray to a lesser degree) rose to that challenge. You would expect the current crop of player to be able to did but they can’t. Like you say they might just be biding their time but that for me is sad. You always want to see a sort of change of the guard but it doesn’t seem to be happening here. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

I'm looking forward to it also. I think the good thing about the women's game just now is that every Slam is so wide open and I think the men's game will benefit from a period like that.

Like the women's game but with fewer breaks of serve.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

2 matches being investigated due to irregular betting patterns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57834901

Doesn't surprise me - tennis matches are susceptible to "in play" betting patterns on a point by point basis. Someone in the crowd (known as a courtsider) can ping who won the point before the umpire calls it

Edited by Maroon Sailor

• 1 month later...

That's Federer announced he needs to undergo another knee op which will see out for 'many months'. 

I would be surprised if we see him back 🙁

Savage Vince
On 15/08/2021 at 20:33, jonesy said:

Perhaps something him, Nadal and Djokovic need to consider. They really hammered their bodies all the way through their 20s and early 30s. All very well still being fit in your late 30s, but the previous 20 years or so will have taken their toll given the intensity they played at. I reckon Djokovic's recent Wimbledon win has pissed him and Nadal off so they want to push for one more.

Weird one. Although Djokovic has a better head to head and will very likely end up with more Grand Slams, I still think Federer will be remembered as the greater player. 

I P Knightley
On 20/08/2021 at 13:55, neilnunb said:

And that's Nadal now finished for the season.

All clear for Djoko to pull ahead...

US Open and the bid for the calendar slam begins next week. Zverev has looked strong at the Olympics and Cincy so will be one of the biggest challenges to Djoko.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

US Open and the bid for the calendar slam begins next week. Zverev has looked strong at the Olympics and Cincy so will be one of the biggest challenges to Djoko.

Still think it won't be easy for Djokovic. Not as nailed on as Wimbledon 

Emma Raducanu qualifies for the US Open after 3 straight set victories in qualifying, the last one 6-1 6-4 against the world no.95

Definitely looks like she's not a one Wimbledon and never seen again prospect. I watched the last qualifying game on Amazon Prime and she dominated the 25 year old Egyptian she was up against.

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Raducanu wins her 1st round match 👍

Shame about Murray last night though. 

Murray was proper raging about Tsitsipas and his gamesmanship over taking breaks. It wasn't just a heat of the moment thing as he followed up the next day with a sarcy tweet that it took Elon Musk less time to go into space than it takes Tsitsipas to do a shite (I'm paraphrasing). Tsitspas has been called out on it four times at least so his "Oh gosh, I didn't know" act can do one. That said, Murray knew it was going to happen and still let himself get riled up by it; not what I'd expect from a wily old pro. I did like the bit at the sit down before the final game when Murray asked the umpire whether he could call the trainer on court and then said, "Nah, just kidding!"

Raducanu looked good for most of what I saw of her match. Got a bit jangly in the final game where it took her 7 match points to seal the deal. Dani Hantuchova (sp?) in the Prime studio (who has the appearance and flat voice of someone I may have seen on one of those gynaecological information videos I've caught a glimpse of from time to time) was tipping Raducanu to be the real deal; a stronger prospect than Coco Gauff.

The crowd's not getting behind Djokovic in New York! They had a great time supporting his opponent last night :D

I P Knightley
On 31/08/2021 at 20:29, neilnunb said:

Raducanu wins her 1st round match 👍

Breezes through round 2. She also seems to have become very popular with the Flushing Meadows crowds. One more win and she should be in the top 100. It doesn't sound much but in such a short space of time, it would be some achievement and a launch pad for further climbs as players like Serena, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva sink like stones.

I P Knightley

I think I'm watching the future of tennis here. 18 year old Carlos Alcaraz playing like a demon against ShitsHisPants. He may not win as a few of his gambles aren't paying off, but he's got what it takes. 

And the crowd loves him for taking it to Tsitsi. 

Edited by I P Knightley

Raducanu absolutely obliterates a top 50 player to reach the 4th round and a match against Barty. No matter what happens in that game, she's going to the top, can see her being top 20 at least before long...and that's being conservative.

The Spaniard she just beat 6-0, 6-1 beat Barty in the Olympics in Tokyo.

1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Raducanu absolutely obliterates a top 50 player to reach the 4th round and a match against Barty. No matter what happens in that game, she's going to the top, can see her being top 20 at least before long...and that's being conservative.

Great to hear.👍

Osaka In the cream puff again cause she got bombed out . She is struggling again with winning and losing as she is saying she feels no Emotions either way . I don’t think she has the emotional and mental resilience to play top of the tier tennis . This may be due to get fragile mental health . She is probably best taking a breather from it . To be the best you have to be hard as nails emotionally as well as physically like Evert , Graf ,Seles et al . Navratilova was always slightly over emotional at times 

31 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Osaka In the cream puff again cause she got bombed out . She is struggling again with winning and losing as she is saying she feels no Emotions either way . I don’t think she has the emotional and mental resilience to play top of the tier tennis . This may be due to get fragile mental health . She is probably best taking a breather from it . To be the best you have to be hard as nails emotionally as well as physically like Evert , Graf ,Seles et al . Navratilova was always slightly over emotional at times 

You have to do so much media work for all the endorsements she has. I think she's just got herself confused. 

She needs to separate her reactions from what is actually happening at press conferences. It's not so bad the questions she gets asked. Not easy if it's hurting her. But it's up to her to sort it. Plenty help out there. And she has the money to pay for it. 

She might have PTSD from the reaction of the crowd etc when she beat Serena. 

Edited by Mikey1874

30 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You have to do so much media work for all the endorsements she has. I think she's just got herself confused. 

She needs to separate her reactions from what is actually happening at press conferences. It's not so bad the questions she gets asked. Not easy if it's hurting her. But it's up to her to sort it. Plenty help out there. And she has the money to pay for it. 

She might have PTSD from the reaction of the crowd etc when she beat Serena. 

Poor Serena gets the blame all the time 😂now she’s a champ , wears her heart on her sleeve , passionate , noisy a warrior whereas Osaka is a drip sorry ! Are u actually serious about the PTSD !?  I honestly just don’t think she is cut out for all the aspects of the sport , in particular the media aspect . Unfortunately for her that’s part and parcel of why she gets an Astonishing amount of money too . She needs to take a break and re consider her motivation to play . 

I think it's a peculiar state of affairs when guys like Djokovic, in his mid 30's, can be so dominant in a sport that's typically been dominated by the young for obvious, physical reasons. 

Think back to previous eras of such dominance, Bjorn Borg as an example. Hell he retired at 25 to be replaced as the dominant force by an early 20's John McEnroe.

20 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I think it's a peculiar state of affairs when guys like Djokovic, in his mid 30's, can be so dominant in a sport that's typically been dominated by the young for obvious, physical reasons. 

Think back to previous eras of such dominance, Bjorn Borg as an example. Hell he retired at 25 to be replaced as the dominant force by an early 20's John McEnroe.

Good point . What’s been the change ? Think it’s been to do with diet , exercise , trainers etc who now get involved in every aspect of a player and it ensures they can play well into their 30s. However it doesn’t explain why the young guys still haven’t made the break through 

17 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Good point . What’s been the change ? Think it’s been to do with diet , exercise , trainers etc who now get involved in every aspect of a player and it ensures they can play well into their 30s. However it doesn’t explain why the young guys still haven’t made the break through 

For me it's all the more peculiar when you think that other sports, non physical ones which were dominated by the older generation, such as snooker, are now dominated by the younger guys.

Prior to the 1980's Ray Reardon was the dominant force. Won his 4th and last world championship in 1978 aged 46. And appeared in his 5th final in 1982 at the age of 50. That was the only world final he lost, to Alex Higgins.

Soon after the younger crew led by Steve Davis took over the sport forever ending this dominance of the elders. Himself to ultimately be replaced by a 21 year old Stephen Hendry who won the last of his 7 world titles at age 30 then went into decline.

What changed there? Diet, exercise etc. have no relevance to snooker.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Poor Serena gets the blame all the time 😂now she’s a champ , wears her heart on her sleeve , passionate , noisy a warrior whereas Osaka is a drip sorry ! Are u actually serious about the PTSD !?  I honestly just don’t think she is cut out for all the aspects of the sport , in particular the media aspect . Unfortunately for her that’s part and parcel of why she gets an Astonishing amount of money too . She needs to take a break and re consider her motivation to play . 

Serena is a see you next Tuesday. What she did in that us open ,she should have been banned. Caught getting coached, Breaks her tennis racket, and then calls the umpire a liar and thief. Oh but it's poor Serena the noisy warrior.  All because she couldn't handle the pressure of all time winner and had mental health issues. But hey she's a black woman who was bullied. Isn't that right. She's a ***** and always has been.

Oh don't take my word for it, watch Serena and The Umpire. A disgrace and coward who tried to wreck Osaka's big day and now Osaka doesn't want any part of Tennis. A shame.

12 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Barty beaten by Shelby Rogers.

Wow.

Just seen Radacanu on BBC news, had a match point for a 6-0, 6-0  whitewash.

Really powerful performance.

Edited by Tommy Brown

39 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Barty beaten by Shelby Rogers.

Wow.

Just seen Radacanu on BBC news, had a match point for a 6-0, 6-0  whitewash.

Really powerful performance.

Yes surprised by Barry score ! Halep to win now hopefully . Shapalovov out too ! 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Serena is a see you next Tuesday. What she did in that us open ,she should have been banned. Caught getting coached, Breaks her tennis racket, and then calls the umpire a liar and thief. Oh but it's poor Serena the noisy warrior.  All because she couldn't handle the pressure of all time winner and had mental health issues. But hey she's a black woman who was bullied. Isn't that right. She's a ***** and always has been.

Oh don't take my word for it, watch Serena and The Umpire. A disgrace and coward who tried to wreck Osaka's big day and now Osaka doesn't want any part of Tennis. A shame.

A **** with 23 grand slam Titles and millions in the bank ! 

Another win for Raducanu, 6-2 6-1, and into the quarter finals. Not bad going! Lost the first 2 games and seemed to be nervous and was then down 15-40 in the next game, but then reeled off 11 games in a row. Don't think she played as well as she did in the last round, and her opponent Shelby Rogers pretty much fell apart and was giving her free point after free point. But still, 4 matches won and into the quarter finals, and has only lost 15 games in all those games.

3 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Another win for Raducanu, 6-2 6-1, and into the quarter finals. Not bad going! Lost the first 2 games and seemed to be nervous and was then down 15-40 in the next game, but then reeled off 11 games in a row. Don't think she played as well as she did in the last round, and her opponent Shelby Rogers pretty much fell apart and was giving her free point after free point. But still, 4 matches won and into the quarter finals, and has only lost 15 games in all those games.

Yes I just watched it . Rogers was Disappointing really . She fell apart . But good on Rad taken advantage of this . She will play Benic next which is different kettle of fish I think . 

Edited by JamesM48

Malinga the Swinga

Raducanu playing great tennis. Hasn't dropped a set in either qualifying or main draw. Her ranking will shoot up after this week.

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Raducanu playing great tennis. Hasn't dropped a set in either qualifying or main draw. Her ranking will shoot up after this week.

According to the live rankings website below, she'll be up to 74 from a previous high of 150 before the US Open even if she doesn't beat Bencic, but another win would take her close to top 50.

https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-live-ranking

I P Knightley
On 05/09/2021 at 07:15, ri Alban said:

And the threats she made to the umpire who called her foot faults; with the arrogant afterthought that she NEVER foot faults. The truth of the matter is that umpires are too in awe of her to call her out on her regular foot faults. 

41 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Another win for Raducanu, 6-2 6-1, and into the quarter finals. Not bad going! Los thoset the first 2 games and seemed to be nervous and was then down 15-40 in the next game, but then reeled off 11 games in a row. Don't think she played as well as she did in the last round, and her opponent Shelby Rogers pretty much fell apart and was giving her free point after free point. But still, 4 matches won and into the quarter finals, and has only lost 15 games in all those games.

I missed those first couple of games so like to think that it was me running in that inspired her - or distracted Rogers.

I've been in Arthur Ashe with an American on one side of the net. It takes something special to get that crowd on your side and Raducanu appears to have got it. She is charming. I wouldn't be at all upset if my son brought her home. 

Post match analysis slightly spilled by that large-bosomed woman in the studio. A bit too giggly fan girl for my liking. 

Oh, did anyone catch the pictures of Raducanu getting selfies with the supporters afterwards? It was 90% kids and then... I expect JKB will have seen it. If not, I'm disappointed in you all. (It's at 1:22:05 on the replay video on Prime).

Edited by I P Knightley

Malinga the Swinga

Up against Olympic gold medalist next but Radacanu has definite chance. She certainly won't be holding back.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )