Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I enjoyed the game last night but chanting “we love you Murray we do” and the two absolute tossers he handed his towel or whatever to at the end made me cringe my tits off. The w@nker in the Scotland rugby top :cornette:

Hes not a shadow of himself and will get emptied next round for certain. He’s immobile and slow around the court now in comparison to his better days, which is understandable. 
Like others have said though he’s stressful as **** to watch :lol: I always feel a bit drained after his matches. 

👍

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Aii plenty cringe around tennis. They only like Murray when he is winning. Soon as he loses he is a Scottish *****. 

Would something if Murray could pull of another win in this tournament. It is actually miraculous that is playing to any decent standard at all. Takes a lot of mental fortitude to play on despite knowing your body won’t allow you to do the things you use to. Can clearly see he wants to go all out blood and guts but simply can’t. I don’t think he is able to adapt his game either. 

It takes more than blood and guys to win men’s matches . Have to be fit as a fiddle . Look at that fine specimen Nadal . He’s a supreme athlete 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlimOzturk
31 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

👍

It takes more than blood and guys to win men’s matches . Have to be fit as a fiddle . Look at that fine specimen Nadal . He’s a supreme athlete 

Tbh Murray despite having sepreme talent never had the same talent as the big 3. However it was his blood and gut attitude that needed up winning him a lot in the end. Ruined his body though. 

PortyJambo

Straightforward win for Norrie, 6-3 6-1 6-2, after losing the first 3 games of the match. 

Could be Federer he plays next.

That looked good from Norrie...couple with the other boy being absolutely hopeless 😁

Was it 9 or 10 games in a row for Norrie? 🤣

AlimOzturk

I have always wondered how Nadal isn’t completely ****ed. His style is even more physically demanding than Murray’s. I know he has had his injuries but not to anywhere the same severe as Murray. 

8 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

That looked good from Norrie...couple with the other boy being absolutely hopeless 😁

Was it 9 or 10 games in a row for Norrie? 🤣

11 I think- from 0-3 to 6-3, 5-0

6 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

11 I think- from 0-3 to 6-3, 5-0

🤣 ah well, boy got a nice wee pay day I guess.

19 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I have always wondered how Nadal isn’t completely ****ed. His style is even more physically demanding than Murray’s. I know he has had his injuries but not to anywhere the same severe as Murray. 

Tennis in general puts great stress on the body.

I'm surprised that aren't more injuries. And also what they do to overcome them.

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes it’s a wonderful shot . Always takes me surprise when they play it . Another favourite is the top

spin drop shot which your pal Sabatini

was adept at . I can do a mean top spin volley at table tennis still 😂

Volleys at table tennis?? I bet you rest your left hand on the table while you do them, too!

8 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

He wins James, is that not enough.

tdworld_5303_are_you_not_entertained_w_t

It's hard watching Murray because his body language can be so frustrating. Yes, you lost a point; yes, it was an onforced error but no need to come over all Eeyore.

4 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Foe the love of donald duck. 

I'm sure the bell end's bell end Lewis Hamilton turned up in ripped jeans and a t-shirt one year and was promptly told to nash. Fantastic stuff.

Wasn't allowed in the royal box. I think he spent a short while in the club, met a few players and went off with his tail between his legs.

Edited by I P Knightley

I P Knightley
33 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You'd be able to find tennis/wimbledon threads on JKB going back a few years where I predicted that Nadal would break himself and never challenge Federer or Sampras to be GOAT. 'cuz I'm really, really shite with my tennis predictions.

Edited by I P Knightley

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Volleys at table tennis?? I bet you rest your left hand on the table while you do them, too!

tdworld_5303_are_you_not_entertained_w_t

It's hard watching Murray because his body language can be so frustrating. Yes, you lost a point; yes, it was an onforced error but no need to come over all Eeyore.

Wasn't allowed in the royal box. I think he spent a short while in the club, met a few players and went off with his tail between his legs.

Yes I meant just my serve I can add a spin to it lol 

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

One of my sons plays table tennis with a double-handed backhand. His oppo take a few points where you can see them double checking their eyesight. But when he hits them, they stay hit - feckin' unstoppable! I have to resort to real shitehouse tactics to get any points off him.

I P Knightley

Medvedev is a bit like Djokovic in that he's a really good tennis player and there's nothing particular to dislike about him but, for some reason, the crowds just don't warm to him like they do with Tsitsipas or Zverev. He just tried to engage the crowd after winning the first set but they sat there like vegetables.

32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

My old tennis coach used to say I had a toss like a pro. I think he meant my serve.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Running around to that forehand most shots must add a lot of mileage.

Scratching his arse keeps his right arm flexible though.

Edited by DETTY29

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

He must be doing the Chris Froome/Mo Farah

Gasquet looking like he might give Fud a game this evening. Centre court crowd still over Roger

26 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Gasquet looking like he might give Fud a game this evening. Centre court crowd still over Roger

🤣

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

One of my sons plays table tennis with a double-handed backhand. His oppo take a few points where you can see them double checking their eyesight. But when he hits them, they stay hit - feckin' unstoppable! I have to resort to real shitehouse tactics to get any points off him.

👍 I used to play tennis when I stayed in Houston . They had great hard courts in the evening to play on as well as daytime ( but was too hot ) my ex hammered me one time ! Bageled !! Well and truly . I blamed my loose grip due to sun lotion though 

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Medvedev is a bit like Djokovic in that he's a really good tennis player and there's nothing particular to dislike about him but, for some reason, the crowds just don't warm to him like they do with Tsitsipas or Zverev. He just tried to engage the crowd after winning the first set but they sat there like vegetables.

Yes he makes Murray seem likes he’s a laugh a minute . Zilch personality but decent enough player 

2 hours ago, neilnunb said:

My old tennis coach used to say I had a toss like a pro. I think he meant my serve.

😂😂

I P Knightley
45 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He must be doing the Chris Froome/Mo Farah

They'll be torn when he has to play Cam Norrie on Saturday. I'm prepared to bet that more than half will be cheering on Federer over the homegrown talent.

I know he's not homegrown but he's a Brit and will turn out for us in the Davis Cup. Speaking of homegrown players, Aljaz Bedene is through to play Berrettini in round three. He's representing Slovenia again since the LTA wouldn't continue to support him as a Brit. He used to play and practice at a tennis centre in NW London where my sons went to for a fair number of tournaments. By accounts of the tennis staff there, he was a really decent lad to have around so, although Berrettini's my tip for runner up to Djoko, I'd love to see Bedene do well and stick it up the LTA.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

They'll be torn when he has to play Cam Norrie on Saturday. I'm prepared to bet that more than half will be cheering on Federer over the homegrown talent.

I know he's not homegrown but he's a Brit and will turn out for us in the Davis Cup. Speaking of homegrown players, Aljaz Bedene is through to play Berrettini in round three. He's representing Slovenia again since the LTA wouldn't continue to support him as a Brit. He used to play and practice at a tennis centre in NW London where my sons went to for a fair number of tournaments. By accounts of the tennis staff there, he was a really decent lad to have around so, although Berrettini's my tip for runner up to Djoko, I'd love to see Bedene do well and stick it up the LTA.

The LTA seem like proper welts

JudyJudyJudy
25 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The crowd should be fully supporting Norrie . They really are bunch of fuds at times . That match was disappointing today from Gasquet I love his Gallic flair 

24 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The LTA seem like proper welts

Agreed . Elitist snobs 

JudyJudyJudy

Oh sorry to see Cornet out today . Another great Gallic flair type of player . Good win for Linette who beat SvItolina ! 

jack D and coke

Federer at 39 still barely breaks a sweat and makes light work of Gasquet. 
Seen a stat pop up too that he’s the only player ever to have won over 70 matches at all the grand slams. 
Without a shadow the GOAT. 

PortyJambo

18 year girl in the 2nd round, Emma Radacanu, last British female left standing.

Has won the first set against an ex-French Open runner-up, so doing OK. She's got Romanian and Chinese parents, and was born in Canada...so must self identify as British :lol:

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

18 year girl in the 2nd round, Emma Radacanu, last British female left standing.

Has won the first set against an ex-French Open runner-up, so doing OK. She's got Romanian and Chinese parents, and was born in Canada...so must self identify as British :lol:

lol Soundss as British as Canadian born Brit Rudeski and South African Konta 😂

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Federer at 39 still barely breaks a sweat and makes light work of Gasquet. 
Seen a stat pop up too that he’s the only player ever to have won over 70 matches at all the grand slams. 
Without a shadow the GOAT. 

He’s only won the French once 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

If she chucks away her lead then I think she'll have proved herself a true Brit. 😁

Maroon Sailor

Born in Canada

Romanian Dad

Chinese mother

Can't get more British than that.

However she has spent 16 of her 18 years in the UK 🇬🇧 so she's definitely one of ours ! 👍

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He’s only won the French once 

Five time finalist though👍🏼

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Born in Canada

Romanian Dad

Chinese mother

Can't get more British than that.

However she has spent 16 of her 18 years in the UK 🇬🇧 so she's definitely one of ours ! 👍

She looks like absolute filth, which is good enough for my British test 

:pleasing:

Tommy Brown
24 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She has lived in London since the age of 2.

I'll go with her, lovely looking girl and played a superb game there.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Five time finalist though👍🏼

No one remembers that really ! 👍 

jack D and coke
Just now, JamesM48 said:

I was more meaning for his 70 wins at all the slams👍🏼

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

She has lived in London since the age of 2.

I'll go with her, lovely looking girl and played a superb game there.

Yes if she has lived here since 2 she’s British to me . Not an issue with her at all just never heard of her . Next round will be interesting . Centre court awaits and straight sets defeat 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Raducanu up against Cirstea next who just papped out Azarenka

Serena must be kicking herself now ! Damn she had a great chance this year ! Oh well . 

AlimOzturk
23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I mean he has won Wimbledon 8 times. He’s just a freakishly good on grass as Nadal is on clay. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I mean he has won Wimbledon 8 times. He’s just a freakishly good on grass as Nadal is on clay. 

Yes exactly they even themselves out really . However as I’ve said the French clay seems to be a stumbling block for many legends . McEnroe never won it . Martina N only twice , Serena 3 times I think ? And so many others whereas some players excelled at it like Nadal , Seles etc 

Big Slim Stylee
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Would it be the lack of a discernible personality?

JudyJudyJudy

Anyone got an all time favourite shot ? I recall the very cheeky Swiss miss Martina Hingis and her impudent under arm serve at the 1999 French open against Graf in the final ! The disapproval from the crowd was hysterically over reaction since it’s a perfectly legitimate shot . I’m often surprised it’s not played more ! Michael Chang did it one time too .😂

Edited by JamesM48

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

I heard her interviewed in Wimbledon radio this morning and was hugely impressed with her. Very mature and focused. Could be the deal. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I won't hear a word said against Rusedski who is one of the nicest men I've met in sport. 

Nor his lovely wife. 

16 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Would it be the lack of a discernible personality?

Actually, I think he's a character and will be gif for the sport. His attitude seems to be that he'll get a reaction out of a crowd, no matter whether it's live or hate. He managed to win over the US Open crowd and they're a rough bunch to please. 

JudyJudyJudy

I was only questioning his nationality not his character or personality 👍

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Hingis was a right diva

Oh I liked her ! Turned into a right coke head but turned things around . Now she is happily Married and sane and sorted in other words matured . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )