Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor
Just now, sadj said:

Barty 25% first serves in first set wise 😮

The big unit still wiped the floor with her

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Barty is a proper sporto.  Pro standard cricketer.  4 handicap golfer.

Tight head prop

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Probably just as well the Canadian/Romanian/Chinese lass didn't have to face this.  

Barty looks imperious today. 

Governor Tarkin

Two things we have learned from this thread:

1) IP knows his tennis.

2) Sadj rips the head off of it while the wimmin's games are on.

What happened, did another Brit shite the bed at Wimbledon. Same shite, different year. Pity the player's AM beat, took the bribe.

Edited by ri Alban

The Mighty Thor

Raducanu getting interviewed by Sue. 

Confirms she shat it. 

Wearing a rag tap too. 

57 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

1) IP knows his tennis.

Too old to rip the head off pal would just be dust that came flying oot

33 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Raducanu getting interviewed by Sue. 

Confirms she shat it. 

Wearing a rag tap too. 

Was very coy about the “what caused it”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/57739078

Thought she spoke well personally.

People forgetting how Andy Murray struggled for fitness in his early days? It's a whole new level for her, and only her second tournament. 

People go on about Coco Gauff...Raducanu showed a lot more on her Wimbledon debut than Gauff did, albeit she is older. 

Whether she goes on to be a top player, who knows, but she had a great run.

hughesie27
24 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

People forgetting how Andy Murray struggled for fitness in his early days? It's a whole new level for her, and only her second tournament. 

People go on about Coco Gauff...Raducanu showed a lot more on her Wimbledon debut than Gauff did, albeit she is older. 

I don't think anyone is slating her. Except Piers Morgan.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
24 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Sick of hearing about Coco Gauff tbh

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Don't really get the hype personally but then she is young. Just dont think she has the power.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, sadj said:

They have been but the intensity now is off the scale to say 30years ago. Peoples mental health is much more in the forefront of their thoughts and tbh I think if they want to keep themselves to themselves there needs to be a convo and a balance struck. 

True 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Tight head prop

She is

butch 😎

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

😁 did see that. Quite liked Mark Petchey's response.

32 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Saw that , utter welt

26 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Missed that 😞

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

For those of us who don't have twitter, what did the **** Morgan say?

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Cheers. 👍

Not an awful lot wrong with what Morgan said tbh, but the fact that it was him that said it, and we know he's an insidious creep of a man, makes it a bit harsh.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

And his South African cricket chum. Got to the point that Andy Murray chirped in to tell them to wind their necks in. 

All started by the pie faced snowflake who couldn't take a question from a weatherman. 

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

1) IP knows his tennis.

:biglaugh:

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

15 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Don't really get the hype personally but then she is young. Just dont think she has the power.

Her 'problem' is that her arrival on the scene was in beating a big name. Remember, it was "only" Venus Williams who would have been 39 at the time and has an ongoing battle with a medical condition. This would be like a young player coming on the scene in 4 or 5 years time and beating Andy Murray. It created hype when the achievement was not all that remarkable. Nobody will remember who Raducanu beat beyond the end of this month.

Don't get me wrong; Gauff has got a lot going for her and will probably be a top 8 player for a few years (and phenomenally wealthy). Raducanu shows signs of potential to be better than Heather Watson or Elena Baltacha but she needs support an opportunity rather than hype and high expectation.

Incidentally, one of Knightley Jr's past opponents (Jansen) got pumpded oot the Juniors but managed to take one set in the process.

Tommy Brown

Hadnt realised Shapovalov was the guy who scudded the umpire in the face with an angry one after losing a point.

JudyJudyJudy

Come on Shapovalov ! I wanna see you and Berrettini in the final 😎

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Her 'problem' is that her arrival on the scene was in beating a big name. Remember, it was "only" Venus Williams who would have been 39 at the time and has an ongoing battle with a medical condition. This would be like a young player coming on the scene in 4 or 5 years time and beating Andy Murray. It created hype when the achievement was not all that remarkable. Nobody will remember who Raducanu beat beyond the end of this month.

Don't get me wrong; Gauff has got a lot going for her and will probably be a top 8 player for a few years (and phenomenally wealthy). Raducanu shows signs of potential to be better than Heather Watson or Elena Baltacha but she needs support an opportunity rather than hype and high expectation.

Incidentally, one of Knightley Jr's past opponents (Jansen) got pumpded oot the Juniors but managed to take one set in the process.

I think Gauff is still very young so we don’t know her potential Yet ? Mind you Martina Hingis won Wimbledon at 16 ! Maureen Connolly won the grand slam at 19 

I P Knightley
46 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I think Gauff is still very young so we don’t know her potential Yet ? Mind you Martina Hingis won Wimbledon at 16 ! Maureen Connolly won the grand slam at 19 

The days of superachievement by teenagers (Tracey Austin, Capriati, Hingis, Seles, etc.) seem to be in the past. We can see that there's potential with her (she's somewhere near the top 30) but we shouldn't be expecting grand slam wins for a few years yet. Not to say she won't win one before 20 - especially since wifies' tennis is so unpredictable - but doing so would be a remarkable achievement.

Meanwhile, in the tennis, Djoko's having a stroll in the park. Was on the verge of a 6-0 in the first set; now a break up in the final set. His next oppo is embroiled in a match which looks as though it could go deep into a fifth set. Currently in the fourth, with a break to Shapovalov, who's 2 sets to 1 down. His profile pic has him looking like a pro golfer when you see them taking their cap off at the end of a round:

atpsu55.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The days of superachievement by teenagers (Tracey Austin, Capriati, Hingis, Seles, etc.) seem to be in the past. We can see that there's potential with her (she's somewhere near the top 30) but we shouldn't be expecting grand slam wins for a few years yet. Not to say she won't win one before 20 - especially since wifies' tennis is so unpredictable - but doing so would be a remarkable achievement.

Meanwhile, in the tennis, Djoko's having a stroll in the park. Was on the verge of a 6-0 in the first set; now a break up in the final set. His next oppo is embroiled in a match which looks as though it could go deep into a fifth set. Currently in the fourth, with a break to Shapovalov, who's 2 sets to 1 down. His profile pic has him looking like a pro golfer when you see them taking their cap off at the end of a round:

atpsu55.jpg

Yes I was reading about that earlier in regards to the days of younger players winning slams ? Why is that ? Are they more protected earlier to not play as many tournaments whilst under 16 ? That’s the only reason I can think of ? I’m quite enjoying the women’s game again as there does seem to be some outstanding talent coming through . Ofcourse Halep is a big miss and Osaka at Wimbledon . Serena is probably finished now as such . May one last go at the US Open . That’s the tennis venue I would love to visit most . I love the brashness , loud manic crowd !! The whole atmosphere looks terrific . Novak just won. He’s an outstanding player but just does nothing for me . I don’t know why . Meanwhile  Federer up next and not a clue about his apponent?  I think any player must fancy their chances against a 39 years old ! Nice pic of Shapavolov 😎

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I was reading about that earlier in regards to the days of younger players winning slams ? Why is that ? Are they more protected earlier to not play as many tournaments whilst under 16 ? That’s the only reason I can think of ? I’m quite enjoying the women’s game again as there does seem to be some outstanding talent coming through . Ofcourse Halep is a big miss and Osaka at Wimbledon . Serena is probably finished now as such . May one last go at the US Open . That’s the tennis venue I would love to visit most . I love the brashness , loud manic crowd !! The whole atmosphere looks terrific . Novak just won. He’s an outstanding player but just does nothing for me . I don’t know why . Meanwhile  Federer up next and not a clue about his apponent?  I think any player must fancy their chances against a 39 years old ! Nice pic of Shapavolov 😎

I got to Flushing Meadows in 2015 for the women's semi-finals (while I was stateside on very important business that happened to coincide with the Open!)

There was heavy rain on the day I had my ticket for which meant (a) I was not in New York until about 9pm and (b ) the matches were held over to the following day. It worked out well for me as I still made it to JFK for my flight home after the tennis. The upshot, though, was that I didn't get the same atmosphere as I would have if it had been the Thursday evening. The stadium was about 2/3 full, maybe less, as not everyone with a ticket could make it to a rescheduled daytime match. Still, I could get a real sense of the difference between Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows. As you'd expect, a lot more brash and a lot less stuffy. None of your ivy-decked stadium buildings or manicured lawns; this place is like a funfair. My ticket had me up in the high gods but I was spotting empty seats around the stadium and eventually made my way down to seats above the scoreboard behind the players' families. Nobody stopped me to check my ticket - I think they appreciated the lower decks appearing fuller for TV.

Saw Halep playing Flavia Pennatta and Serena v Roberta Vinci. The latter was brilliant. The whole crowd was for Serena but Vinci played brilliantly with gallons of passion and good humour. In the end, when she won and was interviewed on court, she had the crowd in the palm of her hand.

Before the match, I'd managed to wangle my way into the TV studios next to the practice courts and was within feet of Serena as she warmed up. She really is quite an unpleasant character.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I got to Flushing Meadows in 2015 for the women's semi-finals (while I was stateside on very important business that happened to coincide with the Open!)

There was heavy rain on the day I had my ticket for which meant (a) I was not in New York until about 9pm and (b ) the matches were held over to the following day. It worked out well for me as I still made it to JFK for my flight home after the tennis. The upshot, though, was that I didn't get the same atmosphere as I would have if it had been the Thursday evening. The stadium was about 2/3 full, maybe less, as not everyone with a ticket could make it to a rescheduled daytime match. Still, I could get a real sense of the difference between Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows. As you'd expect, a lot more brash and a lot less stuffy. None of your ivy-decked stadium buildings or manicured lawns; this place is like a funfair. My ticket had me up in the high gods but I was spotting empty seats around the stadium and eventually made my way down to seats above the scoreboard behind the players' families. Nobody stopped me to check my ticket - I think they appreciated the lower decks appearing fuller for TV.

Saw Halep playing Flavia Pennatta and Serena v Roberta Vinci. The latter was brilliant. The whole crowd was for Serena but Vinci played brilliantly with gallons of passion and good humour. In the end, when she won and was interviewed on court, she had the crowd in the palm of her hand.

Before the match, I'd managed to wangle my way into the TV studios next to the practice courts and was within feet of Serena as she warmed up. She really is quite an unpleasant character.

What a great experience ! 

JudyJudyJudy

Oh he’s good ! Hurkacz however Fed making loads unforced errors and some way ward shots . Early days though 

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Sounds like a good day out!

What was it about Serena Williams that you thought was unpleasant? 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Darren said:

Looking like a bad day for the RF jammy wearers. Shame.

Lol 😂 😂 

Old man Fed should hang up his racket. He'd have annihilated this boy a few years ago but he's well past it now. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Old man Fed should hang up his racket. He'd have annihilated this boy a few years ago but he's well past it now. 

Very true . Commentators expressing surprise at the score ? A fit 20 something tall well build lad who  has decent shots and powerful serve ! He’s slaughtering him . Time to call it a day really . He’s had an outstanding career. 

JudyJudyJudy

I think Jimmy Connors played on to 40 or so and it was embarrassing . McEnroe retired relatively early too . 

1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

6-0 in the 3rd too for the straight sets win

:pleasing:

Great news.  Hate how Wimbledon still like him more than Murray.  The Poles played very well. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Andrew Castle pure spewin' tae.

:pleasing:

I know . He’s such a dick 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very true . Commentators expressing surprise at the score ? A fit 20 something tall well build lad who  has decent shots and powerful serve ! He’s slaughtering him . Time to call it a day really . He’s had an outstanding career. 

Without a doubt, you can't go on forever and Fed has been at the top for two decades. It was always going to happen one day. 

I P Knightley
56 minutes ago, Darren said:

Sounds like a good day out!

What was it about Serena Williams that you thought was unpleasant? 

A brilliant day. All on my tod so no one to worry about or to boss me if I was doing things that maybe I shouldn't.

Her attitude to her hitting partner/coach was proper shitty; just pointing and grunting; no conversation or anything.

There was a small army of fans had made their way to the official viewing point and they were all cheering and cooing. At the end of her practice session she stayed "this" side of the net from them, picked up her bag, got on her phone and walked away without looking at those supporters. The best she managed was to raise her arm with a 'wave' but they were behind her. It was almost scornful.

I was really close up (within 5 metres, I'd say) with very few people around and she would have heard if I'd said what I thought of her. But, given I was in the studio under very false pretences, I thought it wise to keep schtumm.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

A brilliant day. All on my tod so no one to worry about or to boss me if I was doing things that maybe I shouldn't.

Her attitude to her hitting partner/coach was proper shitty; just pointing and grunting; no conversation or anything.

There was a small army of fans had made their way to the official viewing point and they were all cheering and cooing. At the end of her practice session she stayed "this" side of the net from them, picked up her bag, got on her phone and walked away without looking at those supporters. The best she managed was to raise her arm with a 'wave' but they were behind her. It was almost scornful.

I was really close up (within 5 metres, I'd say) with very few people around and she would have heard if I'd said what I thought of her. But, given I was in the studio under very false pretences, I thought it wise to keep schtumm.

Is that all ! 😎 she is a diva after all 

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )