Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

I P Knightley
44 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Anyone got an all time favourite shot ? I recall the very cheeky Swiss miss Martina Hingis and her impudent under arm serve at the 1999 French open against Graf in the final ! The disapproval from the crowd was hysterically over reaction since it’s a perfectly legitimate shot . I’m often surprised it’s not played more ! Michael Chang did it one time too .😂

Andy Roddick's serve that plugged in the clay. 

Murray's running backhand on Centre Court against Gasquet when he nearly ended up in the crowd. 

Pretty much any shot that goes round the net post. 

Federer hitting a tweener against Djoko, I think in the US Open. Djoko applauded. 

There's tons. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley

J Murray through comfortably in the doubles.

Delta variant doubles match on court 8 just now.

A Murray scheduled to play last on Centre Court (again). I really suspect he'll be getting pumpded oot in straight sets with this one.

JudyJudyJudy

Murgazma v Jabeur is a good match just now . Off out now so I’ll miss the rest . Some dinky wee drops shots getting played 👍

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Murray's running backhand on Centre Court against Gasquet when he nearly ended up in the crowd. 

Federer hitting a tweener against Djoko, I think in the US Open. Djoko applauded. 

There's tons. 

Yes like u say so many to choose from really . 

Byyy The Light
16 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

There's tons. 

Murray match point vs Goffin in Davis cup

11 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Murray match point vs Goffin in Davis cup

Funnily enough after that I'd put moments in the Olympics, semi v Djokovic in London then the 2 finals next before the Grand Slams.

Though final points in US Open final were good. 

Spellczech
19 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

18 year girl in the 2nd round, Emma Radacanu, last British female left standing.

Has won the first set against an ex-French Open runner-up, so doing OK. She's got Romanian and Chinese parents, and was born in Canada...so must self identify as British :lol:

TBF she's lived in London since age of 2...

PortyJambo
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

TBF she's lived in London since age of 2...

Yeah, I've got no problem with her playing for GB, was more just cross-referencing the self-identifying thread for a laugh.

Spellczech
4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Yeah, I've got no problem with her playing for GB, was more just cross-referencing the self-identifying thread for a laugh.

I did wonder if she was more or less British than Rusedski and Konta so googled her (carefully) last night.

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Murgazma v Jabeur is a good match just now . Off out now so I’ll miss the rest . Some dinky wee drops shots getting played 👍

Some great tennis being played by both of them. Murguraza has saved something like 26 of 30 break points halfway through the 3rd set, never gives up, but then Jabeur keeps coming. Hawkeye playing its part too, with several challenges and calls being reversed with balls in/out by 1 or 2mm.

Looking like Jabeur is going to do it now, going up a double break in the 3rd.

Edited by PortyJambo

PortyJambo

Jabeur wins it 6-2 in the 3rd...but only after getting so nervous at matchpoint that she went to the back of the court and spewed :rofl:

AlimOzturk
20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes exactly they even themselves out really . However as I’ve said the French clay seems to be a stumbling block for many legends . McEnroe never won it . Martina N only twice , Serena 3 times I think ? And so many others whereas some players excelled at it like Nadal , Seles etc 

I think if players are brought up playing on it then they tend to do well. I don’t particularly enjoy clay court tennis. Just looks so much slower and pedestrian than other playing surfaces. Nadal does well on it due to the amount of spin he is able to generate. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

Some great tennis being played by both of them. Murguraza has saved something like 26 of 30 break points halfway through the 3rd set, never gives up, but then Jabeur keeps coming. Hawkeye playing its part too, with several challenges and calls being reversed with balls in/out by 1 or 2mm.

Looking like Jabeur is going to do it now, going up a double break in the 3rd.

It looked a thriller  hopefully featured on the highlights programme . I think there might be a new record now set as we aren’t even out the first week and there is only one former woman champion left in it ! Cant recall that ever happening 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think if players are brought up playing on it then they tend to do well. I don’t particularly enjoy clay court tennis. Just looks so much slower and pedestrian than other playing surfaces. Nadal does well on it due to the amount of spin he is able to generate. 

👍

JudyJudyJudy

That was really nice interview with Novak after his match . Not his biggest fan , but he came across really well . Sounds very grounded and spoke of his difficult childhood during Balkans conflict etc ( horrendous conflict ) . He spoke about how he made his success happen . It didn’t just happen Despite moronic questions from chief moron at the championships ! Inverdale 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Evans about to go out 😡

Yes he wasn’t that great to be fair . Decent guy but I think he has reached his pinnacle . 

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Evans about to go out 😡

Yeah. Lad he played look a prospect. Totally effortless style. 

AlimOzturk

Watched a bit of the mixed double and nick kyriagos (sp) acting like his usual tosser self. 

jack D and coke
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Watched a bit of the mixed double and nick kyriagos (sp) acting like his usual tosser self. 

See him talking to himself/the viewers the other day during the break between games? Going on about how slow the courts are etc… He’s got a bit character in a pretty dull sport these days but he just doesn’t have the talent to back it up enough to make him interesting. 

AlimOzturk
Just now, jack D and coke said:

See him talking to himself/the viewers the other day during the break between games? Going on about how slow the courts are etc… He’s got a bit character in a pretty dull sport these days but he just doesn’t have the talent to back it up enough to make him interesting. 

Here is was swearing at the umpire and constantly talking and joking around with the opposition. Gets old after a while the nonchalant kind of attitude. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Yes he’s a Wally but at least has Some personality 

JudyJudyJudy

Straight sets defeat for Murray ! You heard it here first 😂that guys exceptional 

Big Slim Stylee

Yeah this is not going to go well🙁..  while watching a not very good Spanish team implode on the other screen 😀

Edited by Big Slim Stylee

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Straight sets defeat for Murray ! You heard it here first 😂that guys exceptional 

4-5 years ago Murray blows this guy. 

Big Slim Stylee
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

4-5 years ago Murray blows this guy. 

😀 Not sure you meant that.

Edited by Big Slim Stylee

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Im

glad u said that ! Rather unfortunate turn of phrase 😂

JudyJudyJudy

Andrew. Castle rubbing it in to Becker about England again . What a welt . Becker should remind him of his dismal playing “ career “ ( Castle ofcourse ) 

AlimOzturk
23 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Out the water, out the water! 😂

AlimOzturk

Murray is getting run about ragged. I reckon he will fade as this goes on. This boy is a good player. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Murray is getting run about ragged. I reckon he will fade as this goes on. This boy is a good player. 

He really is a good player that wee drop shot in last game wow ! He’s got a great backhand too 

Nucky Thompson

If Murray was a dug, he would be put down. Totally out of his depth against a guy he would have previously blown away

Get oot, Britboy. Sir Andy 'Please like me England' Murray. If you had a backbone you'd have been a great., ya sell oot. Fat Stan levels is where you'll be remember. :byebye:

AlimOzturk
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If Murray was a dug, he would be put down. Totally out of his depth against a guy he would have previously blown 

FTFY

Nucky Thompson
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Get oot, Britboy. Sir Andy 'Please like me England' Murray. If you had a backbone you'd have been a great., ya sell oot. Fat Stan levels is where you'll be remember. :byebye:

Hating one of the best Scottish sportsmen because he represents the UK :vrface:

You need help

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

If Murray was a dug, he would be put down. Totally out of his depth against a guy he would have previously blown away

I know it’s embarrassing really . That guy is superb . Outclassing him , fitter and terrific serve . 

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

As usual, another complete dick of a post from you. Murray is most likely Scotland's greatest ever sportsman, and if you can't work that out, it shows just how little intelligence you have.

He's got more of a backbone than you will ever have had or ever will have.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

As usual, another complete dick of a post from you. Murray is most likely Scotland's greatest ever sportsman, and if you can't work that out, it shows just how little intelligence you have.

He's got more of a backbone than you will ever have had or ever will have.

👍

JudyJudyJudy

Just watched Jabeur  highlights against Magurma ( yeah crap Spelling) but looked a stunning match . I had watched the first set . Jabeur reminds me of Sanchez Vicarrio with her extremely stylish bag of tricks . 

jack D and coke
36 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not wishing to take it down any silly routes theres plenty of that but he was an indy supporter. Not that it matters at all btw. 
Scotland hasn’t produced many better than him. If at all. 
Cmon man👍🏼

PortyJambo
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just watched Jabeur  highlights against Magurma ( yeah crap Spelling) but looked a stunning match . I had watched the first set . Jabeur reminds me of Sanchez Vicarrio with her extremely stylish bag of tricks . 

I got a wee E/W bet on her to win the title (1/2 odds if runner-up) at 28/1 earlier in the week. The women's title is so open and up for grabs, that it was worth a punt as she has a very good grass court game. First remember seeing her play a couple of years ago when she wiped the court with Konta (I think) at one of the pre-Wimbledon grass court events.

Edited by PortyJambo

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I got a wee E/W bet on her to win the title (1/2 odds if runner-up) at 28/1 earlier in the week. The women's title is so open and up for grabs, that it was worth a punt as she has a very good grass court game. First remember seeing her play a couple of years ago when she wiped the court with Konta (I think) at one of the pre-Wimbledon grass court events.

That’s brilliant odds for her . I don’t gamble but often think I should regarding tennis as i tend to be not bad with predictions . Had a few winners right this week . Good luck with your bet . Who does she play next ? 

PortyJambo
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

That’s brilliant odds for her . I don’t gamble but often think I should regarding tennis as i tend to be not bad with predictions . Had a few winners right this week . Good luck with your bet . Who does she play next ? 

Swiatek next...seems like the top seeds must still be left in her side of the draw! Not sure how good Swiatek is on grass, don't think I've seen any of her games yet.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Swiatek next...seems like the top seeds must still be left in her side of the draw! Not sure how good Swiatek is on grass, don't think I've seen any of her games yet.

Well she won the French open but that means didly squat at Wimbledon . But she’s playing well but Jebeur just beat a former champion of Wimbledon so she may be  fine . 

• davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )