Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

On 29/05/2022 at 16:48, 132goals1958 said:

Who would have thought he would sign Darren MaCormack after their altercation a while ago. Obviously doesn’t bear a grudge

Jeez, I'd forgot all about that. Looking at McCormack's Wikipedia he's a bit of a scumbag eh? Criminal fine of a grand for what he did to Clum, plus fined another £1,200 (2 weeks wages, £600 a week for a youngster in 2009!) by Hibs. Then in 2010 he was lifted on Leith Walk for driving without a licence and insurance, another £500 fine. And to top it all off, in 2017 he was apparently charged with attempted murder for battering his sisters felly in the Kirkgate! Doesn't say what the repercussions of that were.

Another in the long line of Hibs class.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think of Harthill as more of a western town but that may be more down to the abundance of Rangers types stinking the place out

I've always thought of Harthill as west myself, it could well be the ronk right enough when I think about it

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I've always thought of Harthill as west myself, it could well be the ronk right enough when I think about it

Me too. But then again I think of anything past the airport as West. They all sound the ****ing same.

Spoiler

I now sit back and await the seethe from our West Lothian based comrades.

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Me too. But then again I think of anything past the airport as West. They all sound the ****ing same.

Hide contents

I now sit back and await the seethe from our West Lothian based comrades.

That's fighting talk Locky!

...... but as I don't plan to go east of the airport till the season starts up again I'll leave it for now 😂

15 minutes ago, RobboM said:

That's fighting talk Locky!

...... but as I don't plan to go east of the airport till the season starts up again I'll leave it for now 😂

There's always one. :D 

League Cup Semi-Final Whitehill Welfare 0 Tranent Juniors 2

Final Sun 5th 1pm Newtongrange

Linlithgow Rose V Tranent Juniors

Footballfirst

No surprise that Penicuik has terminated Paul Tansey's contract.

https://www.penicuikathleticfc.co.uk/post/club-statement-paul-tansey

Club Statement | Paul Tansey

Penicuik Athletic can confirm that following the publication of several news articles on Friday in relation to Paul Tansey, discussions have taken place between both parties and his contract will be terminated with immediate effect.

The club shall make no further comment.

Footballfirst

Several clubs have tweeted tonight that their SFA Licence applications have been successful.

Among them are Tayport, Rutherglen Glencairn, Kilwinning Rangers and Benburb. I'd expect that others including St Andrews, Pollok, Petershill and Lochee United will follow.

17 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

No surprise that Penicuik has terminated Paul Tansey's contract.

https://www.penicuikathleticfc.co.uk/post/club-statement-paul-tansey

Club Statement | Paul Tansey

Penicuik Athletic can confirm that following the publication of several news articles on Friday in relation to Paul Tansey, discussions have taken place between both parties and his contract will be terminated with immediate effect.

The club shall make no further comment.

Runs in the family 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/celtic-rangers-hearts-given-lowland-24127940

Lowland League clubs to have a second vote on admitting 3 clubs, would suggest those running the league believe they have changed enough clubs (or believe they can before a vote) to pass it, otherwise why bring a second vote.

Then the vote should be to allow an unlimited number of "guests", if you've got the money the LL is happy to spread their legs

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Then the vote should be to allow an unlimited number of "guests", if you've got the money the LL is happy to spread their legs

True, though last season was what showed that.

Will be interesting if successful to see if that has a positive impact on the youngsters coming through. Rangers certainly have had a few young players in and about their first team which seems outside the norm for them.

davemclaren
57 minutes ago, RobboM said:

There are practical issues around the number of teams/games. 😄

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There are practical issues around the number of teams/games. 😄

Agreed Dave but it's already a slap in the face to the rest of the Pyramid at 2 "guests" so long as they are the OF. The LL are running scared to set the criteria to chose which guests so they are open to anything. Puts me in mind of the old line attributed to many but here it's Groucho Marx 🙂

GROUCHO (to woman seated next to him at an elegant dinner party): Would you sleep with me for ten million dollars?

WOMAN (giggles and responds): Oh, Groucho, of course I would.

GROUCHO; How about doing it for fifteen dollars?

WOMAN (indignant): Why, what do you think I am?

GROUCHO: That’s already been established. Now we’re just haggling about the price.

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Agreed Dave but it's already a slap in the face to the rest of the Pyramid at 2 "guests" so long as they are the OF. The LL are running scared to set the criteria to chose which guests so they are open to anything. Puts me in mind of the old line attributed to many but here it's Groucho Marx 🙂

GROUCHO (to woman seated next to him at an elegant dinner party): Would you sleep with me for ten million dollars?

WOMAN (giggles and responds): Oh, Groucho, of course I would.

GROUCHO; How about doing it for fifteen dollars?

WOMAN (indignant): Why, what do you think I am?

GROUCHO: That’s already been established. Now we’re just haggling about the price.

Indeed. £120,000 is a lot of money for the clubs. 

Tasavallan
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Vote is tonight and the evening news think it will be close

The LL clubs have now had a season to note the benefits or otherwise.

1 minute ago, Tasavallan said:

The LL clubs have now had a season to note the benefits or otherwise.

I have a feeling it will be voted for because you are talking £ 120 thousand and that is absolutely massive at that level if it was distributed equally among the other 16 then that is seven and a half thousand each on top of what the league would normally generate ........................ part time players that is a decent wedge to the clubs I would have thought

Apparently the slippery Mr Maxwell has been pouring honey in their ears though

Footballfirst

I was speaking briefly to a LL official connected to Spartans on Friday night. He didn't know which way the vote would go, or even how Spartans would vote.

Basically the choice comes down to 120,000 reasons to vote for, with the integrity of the league against.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I was speaking briefly to a LL official connected to Spartans on Friday night. He didn't know which way the vote would go, or even how Spartans would vote.

Basically the choice comes down to 120,000 reasons to vote for, with the integrity of the league against.

As is the way with professional football.

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I have a feeling it will be voted for because you are talking £ 120 thousand and that is absolutely massive at that level if it was distributed equally among the other 16 then that is seven and a half thousand each on top of what the league would normally generate ........................ part time players that is a decent wedge to the clubs I would have thought

Apparently the slippery Mr Maxwell has been pouring honey in their ears though

Yeah, I think there is enough clubs who want to take up the money over those who dont agree with it for it to pass. The Evening news said it spoke to sources at two clubs who are voting against it but these sources think it will just pass.

Maxwell has given assurances that there is tightening of fixture rescheduling (I presume clubs were fed up on how many games the Old Firm were postponing) player eligibility and declaring a champion

This is the article for others who want to read it

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/lowland-league-hearts-b-team-vote-expected-to-be-close-after-sfa-provides-assurances-3720386

RustyRightPeg
51 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

It surprises me the Hobos are not interested in this.

They seem caught up in playing their 20s in friendlies down south. 

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

It surprises me the Hobos are not interested in this.

It is possible that Hearts played this well. It may be that other clubs weren't considering because they (clearly correctly) assumed that the Lowland League wanted go give the two places to the Old Firm. By only submitting our application at the last minute, clubs like Hibs may not have had the time to consider an application.

It does raise the question of what happens next season if three team are accepted this season. Hopefully it will force the SFA's and SPFL's hand to find a sustainable long-term solution to either properly introduce B teams into the set-up or to bring back a reserve league.

5 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah, I think there is enough clubs who want to take up the money over those who dont agree with it for it to pass. The Evening news said it spoke to sources at two clubs who are voting against it but these sources think it will just pass.

Maxwell has given assurances that there is tightening of fixture rescheduling (I presume clubs were fed up on how many games the Old Firm were postponing) player eligibility and declaring a champion

This is the article for others who want to read it

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/lowland-league-hearts-b-team-vote-expected-to-be-close-after-sfa-provides-assurances-3720386

Surprised to read we may be considering using Whitehill’s ground if accepted. 
I saw Penicuik play there last season and I didn’t think the pitch looked that great. 
Newtongrange would be a far superior option if available IMO. 

I've read in the various EEN articles on the subject that Celtic, Rangers and Hearts all agreed to give a 'all 3 of us or none' ultimatum - surprised Celtic and Rangers teamed up with us on this one, especially given they were in last season - why are they risking their positions in the LL to help get Hearts in?  Something I'm missing?

RustyRightPeg
45 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

I saw Penicuik play there last season and I didn’t think the pitch looked that great. 

Nitten set up is outstanding. I’ve also played on the pitch and it’s unbelievably good. 

Footballfirst
58 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

The Whitehill pitch is much improved since last season. It was in great nick for last week's cup semi v Tranent.

The ground also has the benefit of some seating.

2 hours ago, Waterboy said:

I've read in the various EEN articles on the subject that Celtic, Rangers and Hearts all agreed to give a 'all 3 of us or none' ultimatum - surprised Celtic and Rangers teamed up with us on this one, especially given they were in last season - why are they risking their positions in the LL to help get Hearts in?  Something I'm missing?

Thought that at first but then I thought perhaps it's just protecting each other. If only 2 teams were voted in, then theoretically Hearts could get a spot at the expense of one of them, albeit a pretty unlikely scenario.

Tasavallan
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The Whitehill pitch is much improved since last season. It was in great nick for last week's cup semi v Tranent.

Whitehill Welfare has declined as its close neighbour Bonnyrigg Rose has risen. 

TyphoonJambo
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Used to have a decent wee bar when my brother played for them.

Footballfirst
33 minutes ago, Locky said:

Thought that at first but then I thought perhaps it's just protecting each other. If only 2 teams were voted in, then theoretically Hearts could get a spot at the expense of one of them, albeit a pretty unlikely scenario.

I think that will be part of the reason.  With a 11/5 East/West split in the LL the East teams might have voted for a Hearts/Rangers pairing.

Ah I see, makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Had just assumed that if only 2 of the 3 were admitted it would end up being celtic and rangers, thought that was likely to provide a little more income or publicity for the LL teams. But I know very little about the LL! 

6 minutes ago, Albert McFly said:

Seems like this has went through last night confirmation to follow today 

Went through as in accepted

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I will now spend some time on Google maps trying to find CSS ground .................................

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I will now spend some time on Google maps trying to find CSS ground .................................

Actually i will not bother ............................. can some one remind me where we are going to use as our home ground 😄 

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Actually i will not bother ............................. can some one remind me where we are going to use as our home ground 😄 

There was talks that it was Whitehill Welfare's ground we were using. 

Just now, Locky said:

Thanks Locky 

Pleasantly surprised by this. Classic case of the fickle fan here. Was totally against their B teams being in the league last season but quite excited to see ours.

Question is now, who manages them? Naismith?

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

Sunny Rosewell. 

Footballfirst

Following positive and collaborative discussions between the board of the Scottish Lowland Football League, representatives from the Scottish FA and the Scottish Professional Football League, plus Celtic, Heart of Midlothian and Rangers, a revised proposition for season 2022/23 has been agreed. 

This proposition allows the three guest clubs to participate in the Lowland League for season 2022/23. In addition, the respective league bodies have agreed to participate in the Scottish FA’s pyramid working group discussions aimed at providing a longer-term solution to optimise the structure and aid the transition of talented players between the ages of 17 and 21.

Following a positive vote, the plan commits to the following:

• Celtic, Heart of Midlothian and Rangers will join the Lowland League for season 2022/23, creating a 19-team league for one season only. This will result in a 36-game fixture calendar.
  • Guest clubs are required to field seven players eligible for Scotland national teams in the starting line-up.
  • Each guest club will provide funding to help develop the league and its clubs.
  • The Scottish FA will lead on a review of the pyramid structure, with recommendations proposed ahead of the 2023/24 season.

Ian Maxwell, Chief Executive Scottish FA: “We are delighted that the Lowland League clubs have approved the participation of three guest clubs for the forthcoming season. The Scottish FA supports the principle of elite player development and particularly providing opportunities for talented players in the key transition years from 17 to 21.

“The Scottish FA will oversee a discussion in parallel to propose and implement a long-term plan with the objectives of optimising the pyramid, which has been a resounding success in Scottish football, harnessing the player pathway and accelerating the development of the country’s most talented young players through the national youth teams to the full international stage.”

Thomas Brown, Chairman, Lowland League, said: “We were always open to the inclusion of guest clubs for a further season given the successful player development outcomes from last year’s pilot.  We want to be a modern and progressive league and we are excited to be playing our part in the eco system that develops Scotland’s talent.

“Importantly we now look forward to working with the Scottish FA, the SPFL and our friends in the pyramid to create some new solutions to some existing challenges which will provide a bright future at all levels of our game.”

Neil Doncaster, Chief Executive, SPFL, said: “It is hugely encouraging to see such a joined-up and collaborative approach being adopted in such a vital area of our game.

“There are few more exciting things in football than watching the development of home-grown talent and it’s extremely encouraging that the Lowland League has agreed to assist our clubs on a temporary basis for Season 2022/23.

“The SPFL will commit our energies to a process that will explore options and, hopefully, allow us to move forward various aspects of our game for the benefit of our 42 member clubs and Scottish football as a whole.”

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues - Hearts B team enter LL ( updated )
RustyRightPeg
11 minutes ago, Locky said:

Pleasantly surprised by this. Classic case of the fickle fan here. Was totally against their B teams being in the league last season but quite excited to see ours.

Question is now, who manages them? Naismith?

Yeah I’d imagine so. 

section s heart

Take it from this the SFA/ SPFL are now intending to step up and help unblock the pyramid feeding through to the LL. 

PapaShango

Good stuff, will get to see Hearts when they come down to play Gala! Gala in the process of getting a new 4G pitch so it should be in good nick for the new season starting. Also the bonus of a bar at the club. Hopefully get a good few jambos travelling down to watch it, there's a decent number already down here but would be good to help give the Fairydean some much needed cash. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread