Pyramid Leagues Superthread

Footballfirst

Tasavallan

Conference X

1 Syngenta  Pl 29  Pts 69  GD 62  F90

2 Whitburn  Pl 29  Pts 69  GD 61  F103

Both teams already promoted to the new EOSFL Division 2.

One game left for each:

Fauldhouse v Whitburn 

Syngenta v Pumpy

Whitburn must wn by +1 goal more than Syngenta.

Mon the Burnie

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Mikey1874

• RobboM

• Locky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Without sounding ignorant, what is the point in the SoS league existing at the same level as WoS and EoS? They're clearly miles behind their counterparts and none of the clubs strike me as particularly well supported. They play just down the road from a number of WoS clubs too so not even like there's much of an argument for geographical reasons.

A 2-legged play-off between the WoS and EoS teams would be far better and more exciting than chucking in a 3rd team who're gonna take a tanking. It's all going to come down to who takes the 3 points when Tranent and Darvel meet, and as it's a round robin format, sadly Darvel got the home advantage.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Without sounding ignorant, what is the point in the SoS league existing at the same level as WoS and EoS? They're clearly miles behind their counterparts and none of the clubs strike me as particularly well supported. They play just down the road from a number of WoS clubs too so not even like there's much of an argument for geographical reasons.

A 2-legged play-off between the WoS and EoS teams would be far better and more exciting than chucking in a 3rd team who're gonna take a tanking. It's all going to come down to who takes the 3 points when Tranent and Darvel meet, and as it's a round robin format, sadly Darvel got the home advantage.

There shouldn't be any need for playoffs. If you win your league, then you should be promoted. However, that needs the LL to open itself up to more promotion/relegation places.

As you suggest the standard of the SOS is away below that of the EOS and WOS Premier leagues. That's just a historical anomaly, brought about by the expansion of the pyramid.

Tasavallan
Just now, Locky said:

I do not necessarily disagree but the SOSFL was classified as Level 6 by the SFA so are of a par with the EOSFL and WOSFL.

While the SOSFL teams are below the standard of the other two leagues they get treated the same unless the SFA drop them a level.

On an aside my observation is that the top WOSFL teams are of a higher standard than those of the EOSFL and it will only be a matter of time until the LL is predominantly west clubs. 

Tasavallan
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There shouldn't be any need for playoffs. If you win your league, then you should be promoted. However, that needs the LL to open itself up to more promotion/relegation places.

In the English Pyramid there are no playoffs between identical levels i.e. National North & National South.  

In Scotland the playoffs are designed to give advantage to the clubs in the higher league.

Ideally, SOSFL should be reclassified as Level 7 and both the winners of East & West leagues are promoted automatically.  The bottom 2 from the LL relegated.

13 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I do not necessarily disagree but the SOSFL was classified as Level 6 by the SFA so are of a par with the EOSFL and WOSFL.

While the SOSFL teams are below the standard of the other two leagues they get treated the same unless the SFA drop them a level.

On an aside my observation is that the top WOSFL teams are of a higher standard than those of the EOSFL and it will only be a matter of time until the LL is predominantly west clubs. 

I think this is generally true but remember Edinburgh City, Kelty Hearts & Bonnyrigg Rose have moved on and up to SPFL and Bo'ness Utd are in the Lowland League already all from the EoSFL

Tasavallan
1 minute ago, RobboM said:

I think this is generally true but remember Edinburgh City, Kelty Hearts & Bonnyrigg Rose have moved on and up to SPFL and Bo'ness Utd are in the Lowland League already all from the EoSFL

True, but this was before they brought the west clubs in.   Interesting that Rose got beat by Talbot at New Dundas Park today. 

Footballfirst

Tranent's goals.

Four of Tranent's starting line up were formerly Hearts youngsters.

Kelby Mason (GK), Shaun Rutherford (3), Kieran Somerville (23) and Rory Currie (12)

6 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

True, but this was before they brought the west clubs in.   Interesting that Rose got beat by Talbot at New Dundas Park today. 

Frustrating that there is such a bottleneck at LL level. With currently 5-6 WoSL teams and 1-2 EoSL teams that would be competitive at LL level it could take up to 8 years to get a LL on merit unless relegation is reformed

Tasavallan
11 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Frustrating that there is such a bottleneck at LL level. With currently 5-6 WoSL teams and 1-2 EoSL teams that would be competitive at LL level it could take up to 8 years to get a LL on merit unless relegation is reformed

Many of the clubs in the LL are dinosaurs and their management know they would be relegated or disappear if there wasn't a blockage.  Just look how many season Vale of Leithen finished bottom but not relegated.  Gretna 2008 will be next.  The whole league needs reorganising.

I was surprised that East Stirlingshire has done so reasonably well since their drop from League 2, I wonder if Cowdenbeath will be so lucky.

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

The South Challenge Cup final was played at the Falkirk Stadium.

Tasavallan
25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Tranent's goals.

Four of Tranent's starting line up were formerly Hearts youngsters.

Kelby Mason (GK), Shaun Rutherford (3), Kieran Somerville (23) and Rory Currie (12)

Watching the video I was surprised at how young many of the St Cuthbert players looked.  Boys v men.

If this is the standard of the SoSFL then the SFA need to rethink the pyramid structure.  The skeleton structure may be fine but where the various leagues come into it needs tweaking.

Tasavallan
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The South Challenge Cup final was played at the Falkirk Stadium.

I stand corrected.  The EOSFL results page showed Rose as the home team.

50 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Hutchie played Edinburgh Uni in the SC and beat them in the replay. The Uni were 3rd bottom in the LL and Hutchie will get relegated to tier 7 unless Tranent win promotion 

Footballfirst

Here are the SOS results from the Challenge Cup this season.

Lugar Boswell Thistle 6-2 Wigtown & Badnoch
Troon 13-0 Mid Annandale
Upper Annandale 0-4 Lesmahagow
Nithsdale 2-7 Hulrford

East Kilbride Thistle 4-2 Newton Stewart
Cambuslang Rangers 7-0 Lochmaben
Lesmahagow 6-3 Creetown
Lochar Thistle 2-5 Threave Rovers
Bonnyton Thistle 1-3 St Cuthbert Wanderers
Abbeyvale 3-4 Newmains United
Threave Rovers 1-3 Civil Service Strollers
Linlithgow Rose 3-2 St Cuthbert Wanderers

Of the two SOS wins, one was against another SOS team and the other was against a team that chose to join the WOS from the SOS last season.

Lugar Boswell, Lesmahagow, Newmains and East Kilbride Thistle will all be playing in Tier 9 next season, which gives a fair reflection of the general standard.

I've read elsewhere, that Threave Rovers and possibly Newton Stewart are considering applying to join the WOSFL next season.

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Conference X

1 Syngenta  Pl 29  Pts 69  GD 62  F90

2 Whitburn  Pl 29  Pts 69  GD 61  F103

Both teams already promoted to the new EOSFL Division 2.

One game left for each:

Fauldhouse v Whitburn 

Syngenta v Pumpy

Whitburn must wn by +1 goal more than Syngenta.

Mon the Burnie

Can they eventually make it to the spfl if they work their way up?

Footballfirst
Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Can they eventually make it to the spfl if they work their way up?

Yes. That's the principle behind the pyramid.  There is also the possibility of the 3rd team from Conference X being promoted to the EOS Division 2 next season, depending on whether or not Tranent is promoted or stays put.

Tasavallan
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. That's the principle behind the pyramid.  There is also the possibility of the 3rd team from Conference X being promoted to the EOS Division 2 next season, depending on whether or not Tranent is promoted or stays put.

How do you feel about Darvel vs Tranent on 28/05.  Darvel are the home team so should go up to the LL.

Tasavallan

I believe the LL playoff games should be on a home & away basis.   This season's schedule prefers Darvel who have St Cuthbert's away and Tranent at home.

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

How do you feel about Darvel vs Tranent on 28/05.  Darvel are the home team so should go up to the LL.

I'm thinking about going through to next Saturday's game.

Darvel is another Kelty or Cove who has benefitted from substantial investment in players and facilities.  Their squad has a fair number of players who have been in and around the top four leagues so I would make them fairly strong favourites. 

Looking at their league table, they still managed to lose 6 games. They were top scorers, but they also concede a good number of goals, with only the 5th best defensive record.  Tranent will have to be at their best. If they can do that then they will have a chance.  

Tasavallan

Darvel are getting floodlights erected to meet LL licencing rules.  I am aware of these requirements as I donated to Vale of Leithen's floodlights when they were threatened with relegation from the LL back in 2020.  Only staved it of to this season mind.

4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

In the English Pyramid there are no playoffs between identical levels i.e. National North & National South.  

In Scotland the playoffs are designed to give advantage to the clubs in the higher league.

Ideally, SOSFL should be reclassified as Level 7 and both the winners of East & West leagues are promoted automatically.  The bottom 2 from the LL relegated.

More like level 9. The SoS should be bottom of the WoS as a regional south division alongside a north division. It is a league only covering Dumfries and Galloway.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Here are the SOS results from the Challenge Cup this season.

Lugar Boswell Thistle 6-2 Wigtown & Badnoch
Troon 13-0 Mid Annandale
Upper Annandale 0-4 Lesmahagow
Nithsdale 2-7 Hulrford

East Kilbride Thistle 4-2 Newton Stewart
Cambuslang Rangers 7-0 Lochmaben
Lesmahagow 6-3 Creetown
Lochar Thistle 2-5 Threave Rovers
Bonnyton Thistle 1-3 St Cuthbert Wanderers
Abbeyvale 3-4 Newmains United
Threave Rovers 1-3 Civil Service Strollers
Linlithgow Rose 3-2 St Cuthbert Wanderers

Of the two SOS wins, one was against another SOS team and the other was against a team that chose to join the WOS from the SOS last season.

Lugar Boswell, Lesmahagow, Newmains and East Kilbride Thistle will all be playing in Tier 9 next season, which gives a fair reflection of the general standard.

I've read elsewhere, that Threave Rovers and possibly Newton Stewart are considering applying to join the WOSFL next season.

I think Threave have been accepted into the WoS for next season. Obviously fancying the challenge of tier 9 football rather than the tier 6 SoS.

Niemi’s gloves
5 hours ago, RobboM said:

Lowland League 3-way play off

Tranent 7-0 St Cuthbert's Wanderers
It's going to be hard for St Cuthbert's to bounce back from that 🙂

Still to come

25 May St Cuthbert's Wanderers v Darvel
28 May Darvel v Tranent

Presumably goal difference applies in the 3 way play off? If so, St Cuthbert’s face the prospect that Darvel will be looking for an 8 goal margin, so that a subsequent draw with Tranent will be enough for them. Not a great prospect for St Cuthbert’s. 

6 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Presumably goal difference applies in the 3 way play off? If so, St Cuthbert’s face the prospect that Darvel will be looking for an 8 goal margin, so that a subsequent draw with Tranent will be enough for them. Not a great prospect for St Cuthbert’s. 

I've seen in a few places saying that there is a penalty shoot out bonus point in event of a draw. So a Tranent v Darvel draw would go to pens and the winner takes all. Otherwise it's a lottery like you suggest.

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I've seen in a few places saying that there is a penalty shoot out bonus point in event of a draw. So a Tranent v Darvel draw would go to pens and the winner takes all. Otherwise it's a lottery like you suggest.

That would certainly be better than goal difference. Ever since the 1974 World Cup, I’ve disliked a situation where it comes down to who has scored most against the weakest team. 

35 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Darvel are getting floodlights erected to meet LL licencing rules.  I am aware of these requirements as I donated to Vale of Leithen's floodlights when they were threatened with relegation from the LL back in 2020.  Only staved it of to this season mind.

Darvel got their lights and SFA license last year and competed in the Scottish Cup this season (they got knocked out by Arbroath after beating Brechin & Stranraer) The respective champions of East, West & South only get to play in the play off if they are licensed.

Footballfirst
53 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Here is the extract from the rules that confirms the penalty shootout.

2.1 Three Qualifying Clubs

a) There will be a Play-Off Round Robin organised by the SLFL to determine, subject to these rules, which club shall be promoted to the SLFL. The champions of the EoSFL, SoSFL and WoSFL will contest the round robin.

b) The round robin shall be played on a home or away principle, with each club playing one home game and one away game, which club plays what opponent at home and what away being decided by a random draw supervised by the SLFL Board. Three points for a win and one point for a draw. Where a match is drawn it will be followed by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark as defined by International FA Board rules, the winner receiving a further one point. At the end of the competition the club with the highest points total will be declared winners of the round robin , and, subject to eligibility, will be promoted to the SLFL.

c) If two or all three clubs in the round robin are equal on points the deciding criteria will be in turn:

(i) goal difference,

(ii) goals scored,

(iii) the result of the head-to-head match between the clubs concerned,

(iv) goals scored away from home.

d) Where two or all three clubs are still equal on all of these criteria, the final deciding criteria will be whichever had the best record in their respective league divisions, based on a points per game basis.

Edited by Footballfirst

2nd Lowland League Play Off
St Cuthbert Wanderers 1-3 Darvel

Winner takes all in the final match, Darvel v Tranent

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

2nd Lowland League Play Off
St Cuthbert Wanderers 1-3 Darvel

Winner takes all in the final match, Darvel v Tranent

I'm a bit surprised that the result was as close as it was. StCW offered little in the game against Tranent last weekend.

Going by the rules, it should be decided over 90 minutes, or straight to penalties.

jamboinglasgow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10854683/Rangers-Celtic-Hearts-demand-three-allowed-enter-B-teams-Lowland-League.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

Looks like no Colt teams in Lowland League next season. Clubs rejected a 19 team league by 13-3, so Rangers, Celtic and Hearts told the clubs that either you accept all 3 clubs or none will take part. But it looks like at the AGM the clubs will vote to have none and reduce the league to 16 as it was.

I am two minds about this. In what is right for the Lowland League, it is the right decision. They shouldn't be threatened like that and a bit disappointed Hearts did that (with the Old Firm.) But on a purely Hearts basis, its disappointing that the club is trying to find a solution to have fringe players get regular games that allow them to be match fit for the first team but keep hitting brick walls with self-interest driving it.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10854683/Rangers-Celtic-Hearts-demand-three-allowed-enter-B-teams-Lowland-League.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

Looks like no Colt teams in Lowland League next season. Clubs rejected a 19 team league by 13-3, so Rangers, Celtic and Hearts told the clubs that either you accept all 3 clubs or none will take part. But it looks like at the AGM the clubs will vote to have none and reduce the league to 16 as it was.

I am two minds about this. In what is right for the Lowland League, it is the right decision. They shouldn't be threatened like that and a bit disappointed Hearts did that (with the Old Firm.) But on a purely Hearts basis, its disappointing that the club is trying to find a solution to have fringe players get regular games that allow them to be match fit for the first team but keep hitting brick walls with self-interest driving it.

I hope that the LL confirms that they will run with a 16 team league.

I'd also hope that it encourages a rethink about a Reserve league. Alternatively, Hearts should enter a team at the lowest tier of the EOSFL and work its way up, even if it means that we start with a predominately U18 based side next season, then adapt the age group as they progress up the divisions.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I hope that the LL confirms that they will run with a 16 team league.

I'd also hope that it encourages a rethink about a Reserve league. Alternatively, Hearts should enter a team at the lowest tier of the EOSFL and work its way up, even if it means that we start with a predominately U18 based side next season, then adapt the age group as they progress up the divisions.

Yeah I think Hearts have to take a long term approach and start at the lowest tier working up. I would like a rethink of a reserve league, but cant see the other clubs in Premiership doing it. The Old Firm will go back to playing English and European U23 sides. Hibs seem to want to play English U23 sides. Unless the Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen come to agreement with a number of sides down south to create a reserve league.

7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm a bit surprised that the result was as close as it was. StCW offered little in the game against Tranent last weekend.

Going by the rules, it should be decided over 90 minutes, or straight to penalties.

I wonder if they rested players 

Edited by Hesh

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

I wonder if they rested players 

The West league twitter suggested they were underplaying their hand so not to show too much to the watching Tranent scouts. It very nearly back fired. It as 2-0 at HT but St Cuthberts scored a penalty and Darvel didnt score their winner ttill just a few minutes from FT.

Wilson Wood, Would You?

I know nothing about lower level football other than what I have picked up from this thread so just wanted to say a wee thank you to all contributors. Its a pleasure to read a topic that's informative and  actually focussed on the football rather than having to plough through a lot of unadulterated pish (which, to my shame,  I contribute to occasionally at times) and uber fan point scoring that infests most of the other topics.

49 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The West league twitter suggested they were underplaying their hand so not to show too much to the watching Tranent scouts. It very nearly back fired. It as 2-0 at HT but St Cuthberts scored a penalty and Darvel didnt score their winner ttill just a few minutes from FT.

There was a suggestion a few months ago that Talbot didn’t want this play off now so More that Talbot lost the league rather Than darvel winning 

Edited by Newton51

Unknown user
18 minutes ago, Wilson Wood, Would You? said:

I know nothing about lower level football other than what I have picked up from this thread so just wanted to say a wee thank you to all contributors. Its a pleasure to read a topic that's informative and  actually focussed on the football rather than having to plough through a lot of unadulterated pish (which, to my shame,  I contribute to occasionally at times) and uber fan point scoring that infests most of the other topics.

There's a wee resurgence happening in Scottish football, our national team are nobody's fools any more, the huns got to a European final when they didn't win the league, there's fresh water circulating in the stagnant lower leagues thanks to the pyramid.

There are still problems, that's what happens with a transition from regional to national and vice versa, but this problem's better than the closed shop we used to have. I'm enjoying Scottish football just now (could be partly Hearts related TBF)

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

There was a suggestion a few months ago that Talbot didn’t want this play off now so More that Talbot lost the league rather Than darvel winning 

This is just from watching scores in the West during the season but my impression is Auchinleck aren't the unbeatable force they were. They won many games narrowly and with late goals. Nothing wrong with that, in fact a lot right with that, but they weren't blowing away teams. Even looking at Hearts cup win down at Auchinleck felt a lot easier than the victory at Tynecastle just a couple of seasons back. Darvel are a very decent side. They have some money behind them and in their Scottish Cup run beat Brechin City and Stranraer before losing up at Arbroath when Arbroath were flying. Darvel also had an incredible sequence of fixtures that meant they played Saturday Monday Wednesday for maybe 5 or 6 weeks to catch up a fixture backlog and needed a near 100% record to put any pressure on Auchinelck's lead at the top. Darvel played Linlithgow in a bounce game a few months back and folks I spoke to there said Darvel were the best they had faced all season.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

This is just from watching scores in the West during the season but my impression is Auchinleck aren't the unbeatable force they were. They won many games narrowly and with late goals. Nothing wrong with that, in fact a lot right with that, but they weren't blowing away teams. Even looking at Hearts cup win down at Auchinleck felt a lot easier than the victory at Tynecastle just a couple of seasons back. Darvel are a very decent side. They have some money behind them and in their Scottish Cup run beat Brechin City and Stranraer before losing up at Arbroath when Arbroath were flying. Darvel also had an incredible sequence of fixtures that meant they played Saturday Monday Wednesday for maybe 5 or 6 weeks to catch up a fixture backlog and needed a near 100% record to put any pressure on Auchinelck's lead at the top. Darvel played Linlithgow in a bounce game a few months back and folks I spoke to there said Darvel were the best they had faced all season.

Darvel do look a good side and seen the investments they have put in on the facilities and playing squad. Talbot do like their local derbies with Cumnock and glenafton with pollok in the mix too. Not sure the crowds in the lowland league are higher than this

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Darvel do look a good side and seen the investments they have put in on the facilities and playing squad. Talbot do like their local derbies with Cumnock and glenafton with pollok in the mix too. Not sure the crowds in the lowland league are higher than this

I think an interesting pointer for Auchinleck and their attachment to the old Junior world will be the upcoming Junior Cup Final.

The number of entrants to the competition has plummeted and is little more than a West League Cup. Auchinleck are in the final and their opponents are Yoker Athletic. Yoker finished their season on 9 April, 8th in their Conference so will likely just scrape into the new West Division 2 at Tier 8, several tiers below Auchinleck. Yoker have to hang around for nearly two months with no competitive fixtures till 4 June for the final at Rugby Park. The final is all ticket as Rugby Park isn't geared up to take cash at turnstiles any more as I understand it. So it could be a cricket score against ring rusty opponents from much lower leagues in front of a sparse crowd and the only national cup final not to take place at Hampden. Maybe not the presitgious end of season glamour finale the Junior Cup final used to be.

Of course football has a habit of throwing up surprises! .....

Saint Jambo
14 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Disagree. I feel the Lowland League have acted poorly throughout and deserve no respect. They expanded their league to accept the OF B teams rather than allowing more access to their league from below. They promised it was for one year only then went back on that. And they wanted to keep it strictly limited to the OF, providing those teams with an advantage not available to the other teams in the Premiership. About time it was made clear to them that they don't run Scottish football.

15 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Surprised Hibs didn't want to get involved. Let's just say they were interested I wonder if they'd consider working on some form of logistics/ground sharing to reduce costs. 

fabienleclerq

Can anyone explain the reason why they voted to accept The OF B teams but rejected it if Hearts were involved? 

I get people saying they shouldn't skip levels but there has to be a realistic level for the B teams to start at. 

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Can anyone explain the reason why they voted to accept The OF B teams but rejected it if Hearts were involved? 

I get people saying they shouldn't skip levels but there has to be a realistic level for the B teams to start at. 

That’s not really the situation. The LL clubs voted this year to again have 2 guest teams. 3 clubs have applied and have agreed to meet the demanding criteria. The LL clubs have quite reasonably said that they won’t take all 3 - which would have taken the league up to 19. The next stage was for them to agree which 2 BUT if the Daily Mail report is correct, Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are now saying it’s all three or none.

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

That’s not really the situation. The LL clubs voted this year to again have 2 guest teams. 3 clubs have applied and have agreed to meet the demanding criteria. The LL clubs have quite reasonably said that they won’t take all 3 - which would have taken the league up to 19. The next stage was for them to agree which 2 BUT if the Daily Mail report is correct, Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are now saying it’s all three or none.

Surely they voted for 2 assuming it was the OF again ? 

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Surely they voted for 2 assuming it was the OF again ? 

Quite possibly. And being cynical, it looked to me as if the entry criteria had been drawn up so that only the OF would apply. But in the event three clubs did apply, so the LL clubs have a problem. 

Was it forty thousand each that colt teams had to pay to enter the league because if it is then I think the Premiership clubs have a strong hand ................................. eighty to a hundred and twenty thousand extra income at that level is massive

• davemclaren changed the title to Pyramid Leagues Superthread