***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair but at a basic level the young lads need to improve us or they need replaced and no doubt when the are early 20's they will want to play for a team where they  feel they will play regularly. 

Moore wasn't good enough and as he's almost 23 now it was best he moved imo. 

Henderson, time will tell. 

I don't really care if we play young players or not, how we get to 3rd/4th again is secondary to getting there particularly at this time. 

If we go 3/4 years being top 4 and challenging for cups then I'll think about the strategy but in order to be attractive and a happy place to develop young players we need to be consistent and doing well in the league. 

Guys like Moore won't get us there and you could add Cochrane and possibly Irving as well. 

Good luck to them, but we need better to get back where we need to be. 

I don't support Hearts so we can punt players on, I watch Hearts to win games and be the best we can be, once we do that then we can then grow. 

Oh yeah, I mean if you want to talk purely about Moores ability, then absolutely, long term future I did not see him being a Sam Nicholson type (i.e a player who can get us to 3rd). Next season I doubt he'd have kept his place, however, I hope I've been able to put across that my overarching point isn't Lewis Moore, its more about the culture and trying to push the idea that youngsters are our future and trying to push them into the first team should be one of Neilsons objectives. I completely hear you when you say you watch hearts to win games and that is what I'm wanting too. I just think it can be done without relying on players in their late 20s with no resale value. A squad made up of the best 11 we can afford backed up by youngsters is my ideal. 11-13 players of the Haring, Naismith, Gordon, Boyce, Berra, Souttar variety backed up with an academy producing players with ability that can hold their own when called upon. In 2013 we would have stayed up but for the points deduction. Youngsters can cut it at this level if trusted and I really want to see more of it. The added bonus is that we can sell these players on unlike the Frears (Bozanic's, Damours, ect) and then reinvest that money into the academy, the first team, the clubs infrastructure all with a view of increasing the money available to the first team to lead to cups, europe, potentially even a league win eventually. 

Apologies for the post length, feel like I'm turning into the Uruguayan at this rate :D I'm just very certain that youth development is the path to success for us. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Regarding 'knowing' if a certain player is better or worse than what we have, its always going to be a gamble on some level. I mean take Dennis Wyness, totally failed to make the step up, Stevo or Webster on the other hand thrived. Likewise Glenn Whelan couldn't hack it, but Peter Haring has been an absolute star for us. I think with better scouting and a more cohesive transfer strategy the risk involved in transfers can be mitigated. We shouldn't be in the business of signing finished articles, namely because due to our financial constraints a finished article signing for us is never going to be as good as we want. Frear was 29, Roberts was 26. I'd say both are in that age bracket where they cannot be developed much (if at all) further. Flatly, on that basis alone we shouldn't have signed them. Stop gap signings IMO got us into this mess, so I'd argue seeing it happen again immediately is beyond frustrating. 

Moore is a Hearts fan and would have given his right nut for a chance. I don't presume to know whats going on in the laddies head, but I dare say having been refused a chance this season staying next season would be utterly pointless. But, again, my point isn't about Lewis Moore, its the attitude of signing a youngster out of the team for... not even 'has been' journeymen, more like 'never beens'. I find that really troubling and disappointing. The laddie has just ended last season on a personal high, signed an extension and his confidence would have been soaring. First thing Robbie does is sign 2 players to replace him? Would have destroyed the boys confidence. My sincere hope is that this is the last time this happens. Had Robbie given him a chance and he'd failed fine, I have nothing to say, but by not giving him a chance in my eyes he's not demonstrating the values I expect from Hearts alleged commitment to youth. Youth development should be front and centre. Sure, that means a lot of laddies coming and going because not 100% will make it (hell, probably not even 20%), we can't claim to be doing right by the academy if our manager won't lean on them before going to the transfer market. 

Another thing, Henderson looked pish for 70% of this season, and something changed in the last few games and he looks a real prospect. Mulraney (somehow) we got a transfer fee for. Playing young players that can develop doesn't offer immediate results but sometimes they need to be given a bit of time to show what they can do. In turn, that means we can begin to generate transfer fees which should be the goal to allow us to invest in the club and in turn attract better talent allowing us to push harder for cups and to consolidate us as a real force in the top flight. 

Stop.

There's only one Denis Wyness, he used to be shite but now hes alright,  walking in.........

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Wighton 

Moore

Big V. 

Folk cannot be serious about these players not been given a chance and trying to somehow twist it that we'd be better off with them. 

It's fascinating that the 21/22 seasons transfer window thread has came dull circle tho and is morphing into a CL oot one. 

Wighton has the Heart of a mouse

Moore I think I saw twice and looked a bit out of his depth but Vanaceck is a damning indictment of our recruitment policy and the public shaming by Levein was disgusting in my opinion.

As bizarre as stuff that happened under Romanov.

Agree about the transfer thread though. Come on every day to see pages added and not a sniff of a signing 😡

20 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Moore I think I saw twice and looked a bit out of his depth but Vanaceck is a damning indictment of our recruitment policy and the public shaming by Levein was disgusting in my opinion.

Agree about the transfer thread though. Come on every day to see pages added and not a sniff of a signing 😡

Won’t be long mate June will be the scarfs above the head month 🙏

Kevin Thomson to the Kelty variety as boss. Have a funny feeling based on absolutely nothing he will end up a good manager.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Kevin Thomson to the Kelty variety as boss. Have a funny feeling based on absolutely nothing he will end up a good manager.

Where are you seeing this ?

Lone Striker
10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Cheers. 👍    The Kelty thing is a bit weird - maybe some behind-the-scenes fallout between Bazza and the board.   He's moving to a sh1t club only 1 division above Kelty.    Begs the  question - why ?

He's quoted on the BBC sport site as saying he was "impressed by the facilities at Alloa"     

Wow - Kelty's  must be unbelievably sh1t then.        

Edited by Lone Striker

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

Ripped Popescu and Berra to bits.

yes while the two of them were playing for us

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Yeah it was shameful and unforgivable imo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Memory not quite what it was, did JJ sign McCann,  Hamilton and Weir on the same day in 96?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Think Savage may be more influential on football side of things than we think. Time will tell.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

46 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Cheers. 👍    The Kelty thing is a bit weird - maybe some behind-the-scenes fallout between Bazza and the board.   He's moving to a sh1t club only 1 division above Kelty.    Begs the  question - why ?

He's quoted on the BBC sport site as saying he was "impressed by the facilities at Alloa"     

Wow - Kelty's  must be unbelievably sh1t then.        

This seems strange but maybe suggests kelty not going full pelt. Both have Astro pitches and read that kelty have big plans pre Covid but maybe changed. Would understand moving on if a full time post

InternationalJambo

Don’t shoot the messenger but heard Turner & Gino are over the line for the end of the week & a ‘big name’ is in negotiations. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
Just now, InternationalJambo said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but heard Turner & Gino are over the line for the end of the week & a ‘big name’ is in negotiations. 

Naw naw Tall was a big name 

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't regard Turner as quality over quantity tbh.

I’m an idiot, but remind me who Turner is again?

Edited by Absolute Scenes

Rick Sanchez
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I’m an idiot, but remind me who Turner is again?

Kyle Turner, out of contract at Dunfermline. Refused a new deal and was punted on loan to Airdrie.

As much as I know tbh!

BackOfTheNet
19 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Big name meaning something like Cameron Jake Borthwick-Jackson

Lone Striker
15 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Kyle Turner ?  I guess we have to take a chance on guys like this (early 20s in a lower league) and hope they can make the step up - the old "we think we can develop him" quote from CL/RN when they signed Gavin Reilly ended up fairly hollow. 

Have we had any real successes developing anyone since Andy Webster & Paul Hartley ? 

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't regard Turner as quality over quantity tbh.

Maybe he will make it, maybe we won’t, but young hungry talented players are exactly what we should be signing.

had enough watching guys with something wrong with them, age or fitness or other issues on the way down. 

people on here would t have said the same about John McGinn and Lewis Ferguson 

Edited by kingantti1874

Don’t know if it’s been posted on here already but seen a rumour that Sunderland are interested in Gino.

The Wrinkly Ninja
55 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Memory not quite what it was, did JJ sign McCann,  Hamilton and Weir on the same day in 96?

Hamilton joined just before a New Years derby at Easter road - scored 2 if I remember rightly.

Weir and McCann were preseason. I do have a vague memory of there being a triple signing but can’t think who the third was.

5 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Hamilton joined just before a New Years derby at Easter road - scored 2 if I remember rightly.

Weir and McCann were preseason. I do have a vague memory of there being a triple signing but can’t think who the third was.

Jeremy Goss

tartofmidlothian
33 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Have we had any real successes developing anyone since Andy Webster & Paul Hartley ? 

Temps and Souttar?

BackOfTheNet
22 minutes ago, FGJambo51 said:

Don’t know if it’s been posted on here already but seen a rumour that Sunderland are interested in Gino.

Don’t think anyone said it, but someone did say the deal for him did hit an unexpected snag. Maybe that’s it? If he genuinely signs for another team like that after the rehab the club has given him and the opportunities then has to be money talks. As Sunderland in League One again for another season and looking to offload players due to budgets is not the draw you’d think it would be. If true then not having played in front of fans will mean his decision is easier. But you’d think he’d be a stick on to sign for us given how the fans love him and all the positive noises coming from both player and club. Questions would need to be asked why a situation like that would not have the player sign on. Can’t imagine they’d be offering much more than we are. And I refuse to believe players purely make decisions solely on money.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

I have memories of Jeffries having McCann, Weir and Cameron in front of TV cameras all together. Don’t know if they signed the same day but certainly seemed to be a parade of the summer signings. Mind being quite excited at the prospect - none of them disappointed!

The Wrinkly Ninja
13 minutes ago, pointon said:

Jeremy Goss

Christ.

I think I preferred it when I couldn’t remember who the third was.

Lone Striker
2 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Temps and Souttar?

Temps was a bit different, in so much as he was a 16 year-old from Stenhousemuir and spent 2 years in our U-18 /U-20 teams before getting near the first team.    Souttar arguably fits the bill, although he was already playing Premiership football at DU though. 👍 

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Christ.

I think I preferred it when I couldn’t remember who the third was.

It wasn’t Goss, it was Cameron

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Cameron was signed before the 96 cup final but could not play as he was cup tied Weir ,McCann and Goss were signed pre season following that and paraded same day

BackOfTheNet
Just now, pointon said:

Cameron was signed before the 96 cup final but could not play as he was cup tied Weir ,McCann and Goss were signed pre season following that and paraded same day

See my recollection is it was Weir, McCann and Cameron paraded and Goss signed later on, even after the 96-97 season started didn’t he?

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think Cameron joined mid season the year before

1 hour ago, InternationalJambo said:

Anyone heard any hints or clues on the "big name" ?

Another poster described it as potentially a "wow signing"

I love a good transfer rumour. If it doesn't happen or it ends up being nonsense information it's almost part of the fun.

Type of stuff Football message boards should be for imo. Folk. Get too uppity about it.

fast_blood
52 minutes ago, FGJambo51 said:

There's an article on a fan written website saying they should think about Ginelly. 

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, pointon said:

2 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

I think Cameron joined mid season the year before

Double checking it seems Cameron signed March 31st of 1996 and it indeed was Goss along with McCann and Weir. So I stand corrected.

Weird how the mind plays tricks. I’ve thought for years Cameron was one of those three. And I actually remember being excited by Goss too, his winning goal against Bayern for Norwich in the 93-94 season wasn’t too distant a memory at all when he signed. Just never produced for Hearts. Definitely always think of that being a great summer for spending, even if Goss and Craig Nelson didn’t work out.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Temps and Souttar?

Hickey 

Bazzas right boot

Temps and Souttar?

Hickey 

Bazzas right boot

Temps and Souttar?

Hickey 

Just had a look at out of contract players...

Would Ryan Gauld fit the "wow" bracket? Would've thought he'd be bit pricey with his stock being high after a good spell in Portugal.

Steven caulker only other one who stood out. Ex Dundee, he was very good there and coming to end of his spell in Turkey.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Alan_R said:

Would Ryan Gauld fit the "wow" bracket? Would've thought he'd be bit pricey with his stock being high after a good spell in Portugal.

Steven caulker only other one who stood out. Ex Dundee, he was very good there and coming to end of his spell in Turkey.

Southampton are rumoured to be after Gauld. 

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Southampton are rumoured to be after Gauld. 

And Benfica

8 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

SC Farense have triggered the one year extension to his contract. 

Ccjambo1874

Not saying its a sure fire thing but I'd be intrigued if the wow signing wasn't CPatz. Arguably on a big wage at SW but having been relegated they may still want to offload him. Its not to suggest it could be a loan as well with us picking up a portion of his wage but he may want to be nearer family with his missus. Don't think it's out the realms of possibilities. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Not saying its a sure fire thing but I'd be intrigued if the wow signing wasn't CPatz. Arguably on a big wage at SW but having been relegated they may still want to offload him. Its not to suggest it could be a loan as well with us picking up a portion of his wage but he may want to be nearer family with his missus. Don't think it's out the realms of possibilities. 

I would love that, can’t believe he’s only 26, seems like a long time ago he left and the beard and grey hair ages him a bit.

Numb nuts would probably play him at centre half. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would love that, can’t believe he’s only 26, seems like a long time ago he left and the beard and grey hair ages him a bit.

I would play him at centre half between Soutar and Haĺkett.

2 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, maybe?

Nah, he's too old

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He played centre half against Everton for us in preseason and was colossal, not that I’d put him there mind

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, RENE said:

I would play him at centre half between Soutar and Haĺkett.

Halkett should be out the door as  he’s hopeless and we can only hope Souttar will stay fit. Let’s not forget Callum can’t defend. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***