***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

He played centre half against Everton for us in preseason and was colossal, not that I’d put him there mind

It be a waste and he can’t defend. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

A_A wehatethehibs
5 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Not saying its a sure fire thing but I'd be intrigued if the wow signing wasn't CPatz. Arguably on a big wage at SW but having been relegated they may still want to offload him. Its not to suggest it could be a loan as well with us picking up a portion of his wage but he may want to be nearer family with his missus. Don't think it's out the realms of possibilities. 

It has been rumoured for some time that he’s been home sick, can’t have been easy for any player joining a new club / new city in the pandemic. No chances to build much of a life, just the grind of training.

Bring the lad home to be the winner he was born to be

But in all seriousness I would only believe it when I see it, I think there’d be every chance Celtic and / or Rangers would bid if he were available 

Jeremy Dross.........

He was a bit part player for Norwich and looked every inch that by the time we signed him.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Jeremy Dross.........

He was a bit part player for Norwich and looked every inch that by the time we signed him.

No he wasn't🙈

BackOfTheNet
6 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Just had a look at out of contract players...

Would Ryan Gauld fit the "wow" bracket? Would've thought he'd be bit pricey with his stock being high after a good spell in Portugal.

Steven caulker only other one who stood out. Ex Dundee, he was very good there and coming to end of his spell in Turkey.

6 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Not saying its a sure fire thing but I'd be intrigued if the wow signing wasn't CPatz. Arguably on a big wage at SW but having been relegated they may still want to offload him. Its not to suggest it could be a loan as well with us picking up a portion of his wage but he may want to be nearer family with his missus. Don't think it's out the realms of possibilities. 

Personally I don’t think they’d fit “WOW” bracket. The one who coined the phrase in this thread in particular mentioned someone who only last season played at the highest level in UK football (which would be unequivocally the EPL) so that would rule them out I imagine.

3 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Think we are going for players with energy in the middle of the park. Turner would give us that.

We defo need more legs in the team as we are far to pedestrian. Turner looked good against us in the game at east end park and he’s a good age to develop further. 

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, maybe?

Nah, he's too old

Mistaken identity. It’s Jimmy Vinegar of Castlemilk we’re looking at.  The piggy bank is getting empty...

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It has been rumoured for some time that he’s been home sick, can’t have been easy for any player joining a new club / new city in the pandemic. No chances to build much of a life, just the grind of training.

Bring the lad home to be the winner he was born to be

But in all seriousness I would only believe it when I see it, I think there’d be every chance Celtic and / or Rangers would bid if he were available 

he definitely isn’t.

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Jeremy Dross.........

Goss is a total Norwich City Legend, winner v Bayern Munich and MOTD goal of the season winner a couple of years before he signed for us.

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Think we are going for players with energy in the middle of the park. Turner would give us that.

Not convinced , he was loaned out to Airdrie for the second half of the season, Dunfermline can’t have rated him that highly, that’s a warning sign against signing Turner for me I’m afraid

3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Not convinced , he was loaned out to Airdrie for the second half of the season, Dunfermline can’t have rated him that highly, that’s a warning sign against signing Turner for me I’m afraid

Not seen enough of the guy either to judge whether he's of the required standard but I believe the loan was due to him refusing to sign another contract. From what I've read about him he backs himself to play and do well at a higher level.

If we are picking up Turner its pretty uninspiring. Hendry looks the better prospect. Turner doesn't have the stature to dominate games in the Prem. 

Rick Sanchez
9 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Maybe he will make it, maybe we won’t, but young hungry talented players are exactly what we should be signing.

had enough watching guys with something wrong with them, age or fitness or other issues on the way down. 

people on here would t have said the same about John McGinn and Lewis Ferguson 

I agree with what you say but he's not for me. He's 23, same age as McGinn when he left for Villa. He's two years older than Lewis Ferguson.

He's never played at a higher level than the championship. He's not going to help us in trying to achieve Europe next season IMO.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Russ1977 said:

We defo need more legs in the team as we are far to pedestrian. Turner looked good against us in the game at east end park and he’s a good age to develop further. 

100%. Would be very pleased at snapping up Turner. Can anyone actually suggest anyone better who falls into the same age/wage bracket? 

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

That was after he fell out with the manager and was also a make-weight to allow them to keep the lad they signed from Airdrie rather than loaning him back to them (which they had agreed as part of the transfer). Nothing to do with ability. He was hands down one of their best players until that happened, and their fans were fuming. 

Edited by Batistuta87

A_A wehatethehibs
53 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

he definitely isn’t.

Only a kb rumour. Chinese whispers maybe… if he ends up back in Scotland next season we’ll know if there was any truth. Been a real downer for him at Wednesday anyway.  And not getting in the euro squad was gutted for him. Wherever he ends up hope he gets back to his best, top boy. Be absolutely buzzing if we ever got the chance to see him in maroon again 

8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Southampton are rumoured to be after Gauld. 

Thought Benfica where looking at him. 

15 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Sure I read a report that Dunfermline offered him a new contract and got pissed off when he refused. They dropped him so he asked for a loan move sjust to get game time. 

Rick Sanchez

Regan Hendry is the same age as Kyle Turner. I guess it comes down to preference. I'd imagine we have enough sitting players like Hendry and probably only McEneff that plays Turner's.

As for any better players on similar terms...no idea. Polworth is 26 with more experience but less chance of selling.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Dont see the fuss about Hendry or Turner tbh.

Hendry was over run by our less than impressive midfield, Turner wasnt but seems more limited ability wise than Hendry. Stocking fillers I think. But you have to accept if you sign 6, they may come in 2's, star, regular and squaddie. Anyone coming up from the Champ is likely to be squaddie, though Nisbet has proved, it really isnt the gargantuan jump, in fact not sure it is a jump

RustyRightPeg
19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Only a kb rumour. Chinese whispers maybe… if he ends up back in Scotland next season we’ll know if there was any truth. Been a real downer for him at Wednesday anyway.  And not getting in the euro squad was gutted for him. Wherever he ends up hope he gets back to his best, top boy. Be absolutely buzzing if we ever got the chance to see him in maroon again 

Not saying this as a name drop but I do know CP personally, played through boys club with him and been friends ever since. 

Despite the situation at Shef Wed he’s happy. His fiancé down there with him, just bought a new house in the area. 

He’s back up here just now, just seeing his family.

Byyy The Light
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hendry was over run by our less than impressive midfield, Turner wasnt but seems more limited ability wise than Hendry. Stocking fillers I think. But you have to accept if you sign 6, they may come in 2's, star, regular and squaddie. Anyone coming up from the Champ is likely to be squaddie, though Nisbet has proved, it really isnt the gargantuan jump, in fact not sure it is a jump

Are either of them better than Ross Callachan? I wouldn’t think so 

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Rather have Hendry than Turner to be honest.

If we’re losing Irving and unlikely to get Campbell, I’d take them both. 

Re players we've signed recently from other clubs and developed, we picked up a goalie from Celtic and turned him into player of the year and member of the Scotland Euros squad 😁

Re Turner not having the stature to dominate games, we should surely know by now that height isn't everything. I refer you to Colin Cameron. 

TyphoonJambo
52 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Thought Benfica where looking at him. 

Only if the Messi or Doig deals fall through.

Edited by TypoonJambo

19 minutes ago, OTT said:

If we’re losing Irving and unlikely to get Campbell, I’d take them both. 

I would like them both too. Losing Irving and fitness issues for haring.

my hopes were shields (away to Motherwell) Hendry and Murray from Dunfermline 

10 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Don’t think anyone said it, but someone did say the deal for him did hit an unexpected snag. Maybe that’s it? If he genuinely signs for another team like that after the rehab the club has given him and the opportunities then has to be money talks. As Sunderland in League One again for another season and looking to offload players due to budgets is not the draw you’d think it would be. If true then not having played in front of fans will mean his decision is easier. But you’d think he’d be a stick on to sign for us given how the fans love him and all the positive noises coming from both player and club. Questions would need to be asked why a situation like that would not have the player sign on. Can’t imagine they’d be offering much more than we are. And I refuse to believe players purely make decisions solely on money.

There is a salary cap in league 1 nowadays 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, siegementality said:

It would appear the days of having ITK’ers are gone.

They were mostly a mirage anyway. 

49 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Regan Hendry is the same age as Kyle Turner. I guess it comes down to preference. I'd imagine we have enough sitting players like Hendry and probably only McEneff that plays Turner's.

As for any better players on similar terms...no idea. Polworth is 26 with more experience but less chance of selling.

Polworth is one of the 23 or so boys that have been released from Motherwell.

SomethingAboutObua
1 hour ago, jbee647 said:

He was frozen out for not signing a new contract 

Batistuta87
45 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ideally I'd take them both to be honest mate. For me as a minimum we need two midfielders - one playmaking, ball-playing, x-ray vision type midfielder who can spray passes around the pitch. Alan Campbell maybe, but not sure he quite covers all of those bases. We also need an energectic, dynamo, box-to-box type guy like McEneff - and for me, that's Turner. I don't think there is anyone else around who fits the requirements of 1) young 2) low wages and 3) decent first team experience. Getting Hendry as well would be a bonus, but he'd be competing with Haring and Halliday and to a lesser extent Smith for that "spade work" role. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Midfield needs seriously addressed, bar Campbell, not one name I have read that I thinks improves it very much

A_A wehatethehibs
9 minutes ago, siegementality said:

It would appear the days of having ITK’ers are gone.

Maybe Levein was the leaker ! 😱

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Maybe Levein was the leaker ! 😱

Neilson was as tight as a drum first go. If nothing else I admire his stance on that. Love the thread, love the hints of what may be to come but actually prefer it this way. No offence to our ITK people but really randoms on the internet should not be privvy

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Midfield needs seriously addressed, bar Campbell, not one name I have read that I thinks improves it very much

Reading that could make someone think we have a really strong midfield. That’s not what you meant and it’s not what I think either. 😄

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Hoping for another Djoum type signing  from Robbie tbh, we need an athlete with a real 90 minute engine in there. 

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Depends how many central midfielders we are playing with for me. With Haring, McEneff and Haliday, I don't see us signing a quality player in there unless we plan to play with a three and Haliday is gonna play on the left. I agree we could use one as Haring's fitness can't be counted upon, but I can see is just signing fillers. I think centre half is a bigger problem though.

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hoping for another Djoum type signing  from Robbie tbh, we need an athlete with a real 90 minute engine in there. 

Would love another Djoum.... I would also love the old Djoum back. :lol: 

johnking123

Turner would definitely not be first pick from beginning. But would boost midfield if move Halliday to left back cover. Give midfield energy for when we need it. Should not cost to much either wage wise. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Reading that could make someone think we have a really strong midfield. That’s not what you meant and it’s not what I think either. 😄

We certainly dont, bar Haring, and fitness is an issue there, I don't trust any of them. Irving is a lovely passer but seems to be regressive in his other duties, I wont miss him, which is sad, could have been a key player. McEneff looks as if he has some good stuff, but I think he needs to be surrounded by quality. Keeping Haring healthy will be a big win. Campbell is a proper player, no doubt about that, engine on him and a dominator, similar to Djoum. 

Still irks me the stick Djoum got and the lack of understanding just how important he was. Led the League in bookings I think, but much as they do in the English league, these fouls stopped dangerous situations and protect the back 4. Could also chip in a goal and rarely gave the ball away.

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Depends how many central midfielders we are playing with for me. With Haring, McEneff and Haliday, I don't see us signing a quality player in there unless we plan to play with a three and Haliday is gonna play on the left. I agree we could use one as Haring's fitness can't be counted upon, but I can see is just signing fillers. I think centre half is a bigger problem though.

Halliday has to be on the left. We might actually be quite clever and play 3 at the back more often, Kingsley could play LCB and Halliday LWB. So long as I dont have to suffer Popescu again! 

Agree we need another one at least, Halkett has been a disappointment, but as I mentioned in a post earlier, since Djoum has gone that back 4 are rarely protected. 

I'd play 3 centre backs Smith, Souttar and Kingsley, Halliday out on the left and get another wing back in for the right, play with 3 in the centre, a sitter/destroyer, box to box and a passer with your 3 up front, 2 wide ones coming in and out buzzing around Boyce.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

We certainly dont, bar Haring, and fitness is an issue there, I don't trust any of them. Irving is a lovely passer but seems to be regressive in his other duties, I wont miss him, which is sad, could have been a key player. McEneff looks as if he has some good stuff, but I think he needs to be surrounded by quality. Keeping Haring healthy will be a big win. Campbell is a proper player, no doubt about that, engine on him and a dominator, similar to Djoum. 

Still irks me the stick Djoum got and the lack of understanding just how important he was. Led the League in bookings I think, but much as they do in the English league, these fouls stopped dangerous situations and protect the back 4. Could also chip in a goal and rarely gave the ball away.

Our midfield has been pretty weak, and often bypassed in matches, for years. I rated Djoum as well. 

Berra than you
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Halliday has to be on the left. We might actually be quite clever and play 3 at the back more often, Kingsley could play LCB and Halliday LWB. So long as I dont have to suffer Popescu again! 

Agree we need another one at least, Halkett has been a disappointment, but as I mentioned in a post earlier, since Djoum has gone that back 4 are rarely protected. 

I'd play 3 centre backs Smith, Souttar and Kingsley, Halliday out on the left and get another wing back in for the right, play with 3 in the centre, a sitter/destroyer, box to box and a passer with your 3 up front, 2 wide ones coming in and out buzzing around Boyce.

Agree with all of that. Haliday on the left Vs in the centre was night and day. We looked far more balanced and comfortable with a back three and think that's should be the way forward.

Agree re Djoum aswell. We have never replaced him and it shows. Had haring been fit we might not have missed him quite as much in terms of ball winning in the middle of the park, but Djoum got up and down all day and I don't think he got the credit he often deserved.

30 minutes ago, rory78 said:

There is a salary cap in league 1 nowadays 

i think the salary cap has been withdrawn

Nookie Bear

Is the reason for less "leakage" because players are not allowed to travel to speak to clubs personally yet and so we don't get random sightings to start the rumours?

16 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Turner would definitely not be first pick from beginning. But would boost midfield if move Halliday to left back cover. Give midfield energy for when we need it. Should not cost to much either wage wise. 

Watched him semi regularly this season. Has bags of energy but more importantly has a good range of passing, using it quickly and effectively, which is polar opposite to our midfielders during certain points this season. Also quite nippy in the tackle considering his size he seems to really enjoy getting in peoples faces. Would be a smart, low risk signing.

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Is the reason for less "leakage" because players are not allowed to travel to speak to clubs personally yet and so we don't get random sightings to start the rumours?

It’s also the fact that our season finished quite early so it feels like ages since there was any news out the club. Probably just not a lot of movement yet. It’s only a week since the domestic season ended but for us it’s been a month. And our whole season was basically pre season training for this coming season anyway so folk are impatient to see a proper Premiership squad take shape. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***