***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, soapy and Haring are away, plenty space. 

They’ve got their spots reserved though.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Absolutely, and Bruno is probably a good example of my original post on this. I'm not sure if all of them are still involved in football and if they were, great. If they weren't, i'm sure they'd still have connections in the game anyway. Friends/ex-teammates etc..who are involved in coaching/scouting/managing. It's always another string to our bow and a potential market we're not competing with Hibs or Aberdeen for players in. Could find a couple of diamonds that other clubs don't know about.

"Under the radar" for want of a better expression.

Haring would be in that bracket

54 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Brexit somewhat scuppers most of that market unfortunately

No really. 

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They need to be decent leagues and internationals or we won’t get work permits for them. 

It's pretty much the same as it was before when signing players outwith the EU, which we have done prior to Brexit. I'm sure any player that is first team quality would get a visa at the discretion of the football association. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

No really. 

It's pretty much the same as it was before when signing players outwith the EU, which we have done prior to Brexit. I'm sure any player that is first team quality would get a visa at the discretion of the football association. 

It’s really not, it’s more like it was for guys outside Europe. Look at the bother we had getting Oshiniwa for instance, he was a current international.
I’m not even sure if it’s been confirmed yet, I can’t see them being overly sympathetic to us. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55360752.amp

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/uk-sport/18978930.brexit-affect-january-transfer-window/

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

They’ve got their spots reserved though.

😭

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s really not, it’s more like it was for guys outside Europe. Look at the bother we had getting Oshiniwa for instance, he was a current international.
I’m not even sure if it’s been confirmed yet, I can’t see them being overly sympathetic to us. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55360752.amp

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/uk-sport/18978930.brexit-affect-january-transfer-window/

That's exactly what I said.

Did we get Oshaniwa? 

And tbf, if they had rejected his WP, they'd have done us a favour. 

I'm sure if we are looking to sign a player from Eredivisie, Belgian League, La Liga or Segunda, Bundesliga 2, Serie B etc... Regardless of their international status, we will get a visa as those leagues are of a standard equivalent or above to the SPL. 

The EPL are using a points based system. That would not be suited to Scotland as we cannot afford to sign Spanish, German, French or Italian Internationals so I'm sure it will be at the SFA's discretion as it was when signing players from overseas. 

If signing guys like Olly Lee, Washington, Frear, Uche etc... Is all we can do, we may as well not bother because that standard is only going to take us backwards. 

Edited by Cruyff

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You would assume that Joe Savage has seen a bit. 

Big summer for Mr Savage. Hoping for some very astute signings. Not every one will work of course but the success rate surely has to go up a bit under a man of his experience. 2 of his first 3 were a wee bit underwhelming so far I have to say but if he can pick up another couple of Ginelly types we’ll be happy enough.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's exactly what I said.

Did we get Oshaniwa? 

And tbf, if they had rejected his WP, they'd have done us a favour. 

I'm sure if we are looking to sign a player from Eredivisie, Belgian League, La Liga or Segunda, Bundesliga 2, Serie B etc... Regardless of their international status, we will get a visa as those leagues are of a standard equivalent or above to the SPL. 

The EPL are using a points based system. That would not be suited to Scotland as we cannot afford to sign Spanish, German, French or Italian Internationals so I'm sure it will be at the SFA's discretion as it was when signing players from overseas. 

If signing guys like Olly Lee, Washington, Frear, Uche etc... Is all we can do, we may as well not bother because that standard is only going to take us backwards. 

I really don’t think it’s up to the SFA to decide the rules, they’re likely to copy what the English have done. It’s a work permit from a right wing anti-immigration U.K. government, not Doncaster. 
I don’t think we will get the likes of Haring, but thankfully also not the Gryzelaks etc. 
Oshiniwa had played at a high level and it was still difficult. 
I don’t think we are looking at those leagues you mentioned for players, I think it will be U.K. based guys, but we will see. 
It’s only for a few more years anyway. 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I remember that window thinking: ok, Maclean’s experienced, a decent back up for the #9 we’re bringing in to make up for the loss of Laffertys goals beside Naismith. Then we never signed anyone 😭

At least we got to look forward to Vanacek (sp) arriving in the next window. Signed him on a pre-contract about that time. ☹️

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was there not a rumour of a midfielder recommended by Bruno Aguiar further up this thread? Swear i watched a YouTube vid but can’t really remember 

There was a Portuguese guy apparently in talks with us, someone posted his YouTube video and I commented that he reminded me of Aiguar. I don't remember him being mentioned in any other context but I could be wrong. Can't remember the guys name unfortunately. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Big summer for Mr Savage. Hoping for some very astute signings. Not every one will work of course but the success rate surely has to go up a bit under a man of his experience. 2 of his first 3 were a wee bit underwhelming so far I have to say but if he can pick up another couple of Ginelly types we’ll be happy enough.

I think he was the guy that got RID of Ginnelly from PNE and sent us him on loan. 
As you say it’s a big summer for him but if he finds 4 guys and the manager chooses the worst one and can’t coach him there’s only so much he can do. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Thought he would have been a good signing for us 

Converting at 1 in 4 at fairly poor levels but still young. What type of striker is he. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

At least we got to look forward to Vanacek (sp) arriving in the next window. Signed him on a pre-contract about that time. ☹️

Again though like a few others the guys strengths were finishing balls into the box, Levein wanted him to hold it up. 
Even last season we were trying to do that with Boyce, who doesn’t play well with his back to goal or like running the channels. He’s much better playing off a main striker. 

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Christ. 

Read the posts. 

Of course I'm being selective - I'm being deliberately selective and talking SPECIFICIALLY about Wighton in the Championship versus Gnando in the Championship, and the fact of the matter is that Wighton scored more goals. 

Wighton was out of contract at the end of this season so he was never coming with us into the Prem (and rightly so). My point is, there was no real need to sign Gnanduillet when we probably would have got the same amount of goals from Wighton.

That seems a bit over simplistic. Maybe we thought Gnanduillet was a cracking signing for the premier compared to Wighton, and we didn't want to risk losing out altogether by leaving him unsigned when he was willing and able to sign.

If we were always going to win the league, it makes sense to start building for next season.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Thought he would have been a good signing for us 

Had a good season and seemed to link up well with Dobbie, the type Boyce would link up well with. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Again though like a few others the guys strengths were finishing balls into the box, Levein wanted him to hold it up. 
Even last season we were trying to do that with Boyce, who doesn’t play well with his back to goal or like running the channels. He’s much better playing off a main striker. 

I think both Gnando and Boyce could do better if we played to their strengths more. Vanacek was just a weird situation though. Still puzzled by the whole thing. 

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That seems a bit over simplistic. Maybe we thought Gnanduillet was a cracking signing for the premier compared to Wighton, and we didn't want to risk losing out altogether by leaving him unsigned when he was willing and able to sign.

If we were always going to win the league, it makes sense to start building for next season.

Don't know, but Gnando definitely wasn't our first choice at the time. I'm not convinced that we thought he was so good that we had to sign him there and then, no matter what. 

Anyway... Assuming no news today since everyone will be away hame for the bank holiday 😕

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Don't know, but Gnando definitely wasn't our first choice at the time. I'm not convinced that we thought he was so good that we had to sign him there and then, no matter what. 

Anyway... Assuming no news today since everyone will be away hame for the bank holiday 😕

I get what you're saying, I'm just saying that the big picture is always much more complicated and nuanced, and that as fans we do tend to oversimplify the workings of, and the decisions made by a multi million pound company.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think both Gnando and Boyce could do better if we played to their strengths more. Vanacek was just a weird situation though. Still puzzled by the whole thing. 

Definitely. 
Faults on both sides with Big Dave and his basketball shorts. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Smithee said:

I get what you're saying, I'm just saying that the big picture is always much more complicated and nuanced, and that as fans we do tend to oversimplify the workings of, and the decisions made by a multi million pound company.

I think the documentary showed the club doesn’t really act like a multi million pound company. Amateur hour from top to bottom.

Definitely. 
Faults on both sides with Big Dave and his basketball shorts. 

Some of it just felt bizarre.  6 months waiting on the next big thing 🙁 then the realisation that we had yet another liability on our hands. At least he agreed to cancel his contract and not hang around picking up a wage for nothing. 

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Converting at 1 in 4 at fairly poor levels but still young. What type of striker is he. 

Played well in a poor team. Took his goals well in game we lost at tynecastle. Strong and quite quick. Fitted age profile. 

22 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Some of it just felt bizarre.  6 months waiting on the next big thing 🙁 then the realisation that we had yet another liability on our hands. At least he agreed to cancel his contract and not hang around picking up a wage for nothing. 

I think a big part of this was on Levein. He blamed Vanacek for a lot that went wrong in that game against Dundee at home. In my opinion he wasn’t given enough time or chance to make an impression and was branded a wage thief etc but it was levein refusing to play him 😂

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The story in the papers was that we approached Gnando first, but his wage demands seemed high so we went for the Walsall guy and agreed terms and made an offer. They wouldn't sell to us so we went back to Gnando for more in-depth talks Gnando seems a much better option to Wighton in terms of giving us more variety up front and Boyce has scored more with Gnando in the team I think.

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

No really. 

The market we currently operate in means we cannot entice sufficient enough standard of player from the EU that they will be granted a work permit, unless already working within the UK at another club. That’s the reality unfortunately, and most clubs who want to make numerous signings in a window will see the paperwork and bureaucratic process involved in work permits as troublesome enough that we can only sign maybe one or two per window at most - and with the players unlikely to fit the criteria no guarantee it will be granted. We possibly could try the WP route for players from high ranking countries like Belgium, where international caps would’ve scarce so potential for a work permit appeal, but I imagine most clubs including us will not want to bother if there’s players in UK and Irish markets that wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Played well in a poor team. Took his goals well in game we lost at tynecastle. Strong and quite quick. Fitted age profile. 

Cheers for replies. Maybe one we had looked at. Difficult to judge if he’s a signing we should have made until we see who comes in I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I think a big part of this was on Levein. He blamed Vanacek for a lot that went wrong in that game against Dundee at home. In my opinion he wasn’t given enough time or chance to make an impression and was branded a wage thief etc but it was levein refusing to play him 😂

I’ve honestly no idea. You just wonder how he came to be here. Who scouted him, who vouched for him, how many times had we seen him play. Why the **** did he wear those big short. It’s just another wtaf moment among many. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Thankful for small mercy’s, another £100k + down the river. 

Thankful for small mercy’s, another £100k + down the river. 

A drop in the Hearts expensive mistakes ocean 😀

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Which was harsh considering he only lasted about 30 minutes. 
Spot on about giving him a chance, especially when we had nothing else. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, GinRummy said:

A drop in the Hearts expensive mistakes ocean 😀

I there would a revolt if we knew the actual overall figures. 

TyphoonJambo
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes but the SPL is pretty rubbish as well, them clubs would say exactly the same thing verbatim about scouting and buying a player from a Scottish club. Plenty of utter dross players to be found across the spl clubs. With the odd good players scattered around 

Even with this seasons squad,I'd fancy our chances in that league

Lone Striker

The whole Vanacek episode was bizarre.  We had to take CL's word that this guy was going to turn our situation around.... and then we had to take CL's word that the guy was unfit and not worth persevering with.    Seems in hindsight to be  another one to add to the list of incidents which should have led to his (or someone's) sacking.   And yet again, Budge just overlooked it. 😲

Bazzas right boot

Wighton 

Moore

Big V. 

Folk cannot be serious about these players not been given a chance and trying to somehow twist it that we'd be better off with them. 

It's fascinating that the 21/22 seasons transfer window thread has came dull circle tho and is morphing into a CL oot one. 

3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The whole Vanacek episode was bizarre.  We had to take CL's word that this guy was going to turn our situation around.... and then we had to take CL's word that the guy was unfit and not worth persevering with.    Seems in hindsight to be  another one to add to the list of incidents which should have led to his (or someone's) sacking.   And yet again, Budge just overlooked it. 😲

Was so looking forward to him arriving. What a ****ing carry on eh 😂. If you didnae laugh you’d greet sometime. 

Leveins Battalion
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Wighton 

Moore

Big V. 

Folk cannot be serious about these players not been given a chance and trying to somehow twist it that we'd be better off with them. 

It's fascinating that the 21/22 seasons transfer window thread has came dull circle tho and is morphing into a CL oot one. 

😂😂😂

We'll be saying Martin and Oshaniwa were not given a chance next.

true-jambo
2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I seem to recall that AB was asked at the next AGM after Vañacek's departure, if he had received a termination payoff.

She claimed not to remember, but we were advised by her FD that he had not.

I always found it strange given her position that she couldn't remember something as important as that 

As has been said already, the whole DV incident was very strange

Leveins Battalion

Folk not expecting a signing cos it's a Bank Holiday weekend?🤣🤣

That is the most Hearts thing ever.

FFS Sir Alex came up to Mayfield on xmas day to sign a 14 year old Darren Fletcher.🤷‍♂️

I'd expect Savage and Neilson to spend every waking hour preparing for this season.

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Wighton 

Moore

Big V. 

Wighton was never good enough. Moore might’ve been better than a couple of poor signings in the championship but we’re not in the championship any more so que serra serra. Vanacek! Who knows what the **** was going on, went on or would’ve went on. At least we still had Uche, when he wasn’t kididing on he was injured or Steven McLean to fall back on. What an absolute shambles 😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Wighton was never good enough. Moore might’ve been better than a couple of poor signings in the championship but we’re not in the championship any more so que serra serra. Vanacek! Who knows what the **** was going on, went on or would’ve went on. At least we still had Uche, when he wasn’t kididing on he was injured or Steven McLean to fall back on. What an absolute shambles 😂😂😂

Mind when Levein said he actually liked the fact that McLean couldn't run. Some laugh 

Just now, droid said:

Mind when Levein said he actually liked the fact that McLean couldn't run. Some laugh 

Can’t actually remember that but if it’s someone who can’t run he was after he certainly found him. 

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree with the jist of your point but how do you know players are worse until you sign them?

Very doubtful any manager replaces a player without thinking they are an upgrade. I don't think Robbie thought- hang on I'll replace with worse  

Frear and Roberts were better on paper, Roberts actually played well for Motherwell. Kastaneer was an emergency signing to replace Gino. 

GMS and Gino are better. 

You also completey disregard the players thoughts, Moore, who is 23 soon ( young laddie?) May have wanted to move for his long term career and move to a club where he thought he'd play more so it may have been agreed by both player and club that it was best for him to move. 

With us having or planning to have GMS and Ginnelly, not to mention Walker, white, Roberts and Haliday it is very Likley imo that Robbie and Moore both agreed it was best for both if they separated. 

It's a theme on here to completely ignore what the players may want and focus only on Hearts, same in regards to match day, not many consider the oponnent - if we press, attack and score early we'll win is the best example, Problem is the other team may not want that to happen. 

In Moores case it is very Likley he wanted  to move as he wasn't good enough to play regularly and it suited him and the club. 

Regarding 'knowing' if a certain player is better or worse than what we have, its always going to be a gamble on some level. I mean take Dennis Wyness, totally failed to make the step up, Stevo or Webster on the other hand thrived. Likewise Glenn Whelan couldn't hack it, but Peter Haring has been an absolute star for us. I think with better scouting and a more cohesive transfer strategy the risk involved in transfers can be mitigated. We shouldn't be in the business of signing finished articles, namely because due to our financial constraints a finished article signing for us is never going to be as good as we want. Frear was 29, Roberts was 26. I'd say both are in that age bracket where they cannot be developed much (if at all) further. Flatly, on that basis alone we shouldn't have signed them. Stop gap signings IMO got us into this mess, so I'd argue seeing it happen again immediately is beyond frustrating. 

Moore is a Hearts fan and would have given his right nut for a chance. I don't presume to know whats going on in the laddies head, but I dare say having been refused a chance this season staying next season would be utterly pointless. But, again, my point isn't about Lewis Moore, its the attitude of signing a youngster out of the team for... not even 'has been' journeymen, more like 'never beens'. I find that really troubling and disappointing. The laddie has just ended last season on a personal high, signed an extension and his confidence would have been soaring. First thing Robbie does is sign 2 players to replace him? Would have destroyed the boys confidence. My sincere hope is that this is the last time this happens. Had Robbie given him a chance and he'd failed fine, I have nothing to say, but by not giving him a chance in my eyes he's not demonstrating the values I expect from Hearts alleged commitment to youth. Youth development should be front and centre. Sure, that means a lot of laddies coming and going because not 100% will make it (hell, probably not even 20%), we can't claim to be doing right by the academy if our manager won't lean on them before going to the transfer market. 

Another thing, Henderson looked pish for 70% of this season, and something changed in the last few games and he looks a real prospect. Mulraney (somehow) we got a transfer fee for. Playing young players that can develop doesn't offer immediate results but sometimes they need to be given a bit of time to show what they can do. In turn, that means we can begin to generate transfer fees which should be the goal to allow us to invest in the club and in turn attract better talent allowing us to push harder for cups and to consolidate us as a real force in the top flight. 

RustyRightPeg

Connor Shields signed for Motherwell.

Decent signing, ripped us to bits. 

BackOfTheNet
17 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

FFS Sir Alex came up to Mayfield on xmas day to sign a 14 year old Darren Fletcher.🤷‍♂️

I'd expect Savage and Neilson to spend every waking hour preparing for this season.

You just need to look at the windows in the last 5 years or so it’s very rare. (I think Boyce was announced on the Saturday morning of the Rangers game) I know it’s rare as I come on here every window and complain that transfer business never gets done at weekends. 😉 Especially January, since it takes 8 out of the 31 days out of the equation. And infamously the SFA aren’t open on weekends to register players unless specifically asked to (like Sinclair for Celtic v us and I assume same with Boyce v Rangers)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Don't think she did actually, seem to recall Levein was told to wind his neck in. 

Perhaps one for the myth thread 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Suspect they have been for quite some time. Probably since the last window closed. 

Imagine quite a few players are now on a break. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Regarding 'knowing' if a certain player is better or worse than what we have, its always going to be a gamble on some level. I mean take Dennis Wyness, totally failed to make the step up, Stevo or Webster on the other hand thrived. Likewise Glenn Whelan couldn't hack it, but Peter Haring has been an absolute star for us. I think with better scouting and a more cohesive transfer strategy the risk involved in transfers can be mitigated. We shouldn't be in the business of signing finished articles, namely because due to our financial constraints a finished article signing for us is never going to be as good as we want. Frear was 29, Roberts was 26. I'd say both are in that age bracket where they cannot be developed much (if at all) further. Flatly, on that basis alone we shouldn't have signed them. Stop gap signings IMO got us into this mess, so I'd argue seeing it happen again immediately is beyond frustrating. 

Moore is a Hearts fan and would have given his right nut for a chance. I don't presume to know whats going on in the laddies head, but I dare say having been refused a chance this season staying next season would be utterly pointless. But, again, my point isn't about Lewis Moore, its the attitude of signing a youngster out of the team for... not even 'has been' journeymen, more like 'never beens'. I find that really troubling and disappointing. The laddie has just ended last season on a personal high, signed an extension and his confidence would have been soaring. First thing Robbie does is sign 2 players to replace him? Would have destroyed the boys confidence. My sincere hope is that this is the last time this happens. Had Robbie given him a chance and he'd failed fine, I have nothing to say, but by not giving him a chance in my eyes he's not demonstrating the values I expect from Hearts alleged commitment to youth. Youth development should be front and centre. Sure, that means a lot of laddies coming and going because not 100% will make it (hell, probably not even 20%), we can't claim to be doing right by the academy if our manager won't lean on them before going to the transfer market. 

Another thing, Henderson looked pish for 70% of this season, and something changed in the last few games and he looks a real prospect. Mulraney (somehow) we got a transfer fee for. Playing young players that can develop doesn't offer immediate results but sometimes they need to be given a bit of time to show what they can do. In turn, that means we can begin to generate transfer fees which should be the goal to allow us to invest in the club and in turn attract better talent allowing us to push harder for cups and to consolidate us as a real force in the top flight. 

All fair but at a basic level the young lads need to improve us or they need replaced and no doubt when the are early 20's they will want to play for a team where they  feel they will play regularly. 

Moore wasn't good enough and as he's almost 23 now it was best he moved imo. 

Henderson, time will tell. 

I don't really care if we play young players or not, how we get to 3rd/4th again is secondary to getting there particularly at this time. 

If we go 3/4 years being top 4 and challenging for cups then I'll think about the strategy but in order to be attractive and a happy place to develop young players we need to be consistent and doing well in the league. 

Guys like Moore won't get us there and you could add Cochrane and possibly Irving as well. 

Good luck to them, but we need better to get back where we need to be. 

I don't support Hearts so we can punt players on, I watch Hearts to win games and be the best we can be, once we do that then we can then grow. 

KyleLafferty
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Connor Shields signed for Motherwell.

Decent signing, ripped us to bits. 

Ripped Popescu and Berra to bits.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***