***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Obviously didn't watch many of the games this season did you? Henderson only played because Wighton left. If he thought so highly of Hendo, why didn't he play him ahead of Wighton when he was still at the club? That's right, because Wighton is a better player. Maybe Hendo will go on to have a good career, and I very much hope he does at Hearts. But you're totally deluded if you can't admit that Wighton was at least decent in the first half of the season, and would have been of some use in the run in. Again, not saying Wighton is a world beater, or even a good player of the standard of our club, but he was decent this season, and made a difference in some games.

He wasn’t decent, he was just as pish as ever, just found his level, it’s as simple as that. The player has found his level. James Keatings type level. And was rightly emptied from this football club. 

Wighton was given his chance first 10-15 games ahead of Henderson. Fair enough to do, he seemed ok at Arbroath. He knocked in a few goals but still showed the fundamentals why he is not good enough for hearts. Physically and mentally weak. Then he was binned and Henderson got his chance and looks the better bet for the next 2-3 years development as he has all the physical attributes whereas Wighton does not. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Batistuta87
41 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Wighton was given a chance because he done ok with Arbroath,  and then subsequently correctly binned from the club.

A joke to be comparing him with Gnanduillet. There’s no comparison there. Wighton will never be good enough physically for the top 6 in Scotland let alone to play in england. Gnando is a big big upgrade on Wighton, scored a lot of goals at a level above where Wighton will ever get in his career. 

How is it a joke to compare the two? They both played at the same level last season and Wighton scored more goals - that's just a fact. Doesn't matter what he's done elsewhere or what either of them will go on to do, my point is around there not being much difference between the two last season, and I'm questioning whether it was even necessary to sign Gnando. Yes Gnando will probably be better in the Prem, but that'snot the point I'm trying to make. I'm talking about getting over the line last season only. 

Batistuta87
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He wasn’t decent, he was just as pish as ever, just found his level, it’s as simple as that. The player has found his level. James Keatings type level. And was rightly emptied from this football club. 

Wighton was given his chance first 10-15 games ahead of Henderson. Fair enough to do, he seemed ok at Arbroath. He knocked in a few goals but still showed the fundamentals why he is not good enough for hearts. Physically and mentally weak. Then he was binned and Henderson got his chance and looks the better bet for the next 2-3 years development as he has all the physical attributes whereas Wighton does not. 

3rd top goal scorer in the league but aye he was well pish wasn't he. He absolutely found his level aye - and that's the level we were at! 

Christ on a bike. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Batistuta87
28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Mentioned above, maybe Moore wanted first team football and more chance of a game. 

Likley been a conversation about the future, signing etc and both agreed it was best. 

Possibly aye. 

Anyway. He's away. New season, new players. 

Bring it on :D 

Batistuta87
31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

6 goals in 10 for Dunfermline

Gnando got 5 in 13 for Hearts

🤷‍♀️

Wighton got 6 in 13 for Hearts 🤷‍♂️

I'm not saying Gnando is a bad player, just questioning the need to actually sign him when Wighton probably would have done just as well. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot

Are We now at the stage of folk thinking Wighton and Moore were the future and letting them go was  an error. 

Mad Bob oot! 

C'mon tae xxxx min. 

34 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Mentioned above, maybe Moore wanted first team football and more chance of a game. 

Likley been a conversation about the future, signing etc and both agreed it was best. 

Moore struggled to get game time at Arbroath 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

so he did.

Goal Machine!

Bazzas right boot

I'm not saying Gnando is a bad player, just questioning the need to actually sign him when Wighton probably would have done just as well. 

You naw had enuff sleep again! 

😜

A_A wehatethehibs

How is it a joke to compare the two? They both played at the same level last season and Wighton scored more goals - that's just a fact. Doesn't matter what he's done elsewhere or what either of them will go on to do, my point is around there not being much difference between the two last season, and I'm questioning whether it was even necessary to sign Gnando. Yes Gnando will probably be better in the Prem, but that'snot the point I'm trying to make. I'm talking about getting over the line last season only. 

We were already over the line when Wighton was binned and Gnanduillet came in. These guys signed in January were all **** all to do with “getting over the line” we were double figures points clear with no challengers able to keep pace. We were in cruise control (which was the primary reason behind many of the flat performances imo)

The Jan lads were all signed with 1 eye on next season. Gnanduillet offers attributes and quality that Wighton does not and will never possess. Wighton I would characterise as a pound shop Steven Naismith Where as Gnanduillet, completely different category of player with his size and physical presence in the box, he does a completely different job in a game. Has a totally different impact on what you’re able to do in a game. So there is just 0 comparison there basically 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Folk forget Walker and Wighton as well. Neilson gave both of them “their chance” and both looked alright in spells first half for the season. Despite falling away later in the season and being binned entirely in Wightons case. Should he have played Moore ahead of them? 

Walker was given a chance. He then stepped up and made the difference in games and yet remained on the bench. His performances seemed to me to deserve a start but that didn’t happen. I’m hoping it was because he had an injury problem that was being managed because otherwise it just seemed unfair on Walker 

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

3rd top goal scorer in the league but aye he was well pish wasn't he. He absolutely found his level aye - and that's the level we were at! 

Christ on a bike. 

3rd top scorer in a pub league woopty do. Seen how pish Shankland, Cummings and Keatings all were in the Premiership? All goal machines in the championship. It is not the level where we are heading, we are looking to upgrade the squad. Therefore, Wighton correctly binned alongside 20 other Levein era players correctly binned from this club. 

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

3rd top scorer in a pub league woopty do. Seen how pish Shankland, Cummings and Keatings all were in the Premiership? All goal machines in the championship. It is not the level where we are heading, we are looking to upgrade the squad. Therefore, Wighton correctly binned alongside 20 other Levein era players correctly binned from this club. 

Aye and Gnando scored less in the same ****ing league lol! 

Wighton was correctly binned aye; he is not good enough for the Prem. Was he binned at the right time though - naw, not for me. We should have saved the money and just kept him for the rest of the season. The league was won the moment we skelped Dundee 6-2. There was no need to keep adding players. 

Batistuta87
14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You naw had enuff sleep again! 

😜

Dinny 🤣

His point is that Wighton scored however many "in a pub league LOLS" but Gnando scored less in the same league so how does that make Gnando the better decision? We should have saved the money and just seen out the season with Wighton and/or Henderson. We were never not going to win that league.

Edited by Batistuta87

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Walker was given a chance. He then stepped up and made the difference in games and yet remained on the bench. His performances seemed to me to deserve a start but that didn’t happen. I’m hoping it was because he had an injury problem that was being managed because otherwise it just seemed unfair on Walker 

Walker was similar this season to a large part of his career. 1 good game in 5.

He’s got to raise his consistency levels big time to have a future at Hearts imo and get back to the levels from his rise to prominence between 2014-2017. He got better and better over that period under Neilson. 

No reason to suggest he won’t do it, there’s every chance he could get back to those levels. The leg break and previous injuries definitely set him back physically. But for the good of the team you compare this Jamie Walker to the one who was banging in belters against Rangers? He’s been a way away from those levels this season. We will see next season. 

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye and Gnando scored less in the same ****ing league lol! 

Wighton was correctly binned aye; he is not good enough for the Prem. Was he binned at the right time though - naw, not for me. We should have saved the money and just kept him for the rest of the season. The league was won the moment we skelped Dundee 6-2. There was no need to keep adding players. 

Except the 2 seasons where Wighton was 0 in 19 and 1 in 5.  Being a bit selective are you not?

13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Are We now at the stage of folk thinking Wighton and Moore were the future and letting them go was  an error. 

Mad Bob oot! 

C'mon tae xxxx min. 

I think most folk think “they would have done”......

And given the contributions of the players brought in you can understand why.

Moore would more than likely have been every bit as ineffective as Frear, Roberts and Kastaneer.

Those 3 were much needed money thrown away....in you include Ginnellly and Moore we paid a fair amount of wages on 5 players who did got very little or no game time for the club.

It would be nice to start being a bit more thoughtful and careful with our playing budget.......

17 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Shankland wasn't pish.  He was void of service.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Would love Jack Wilshere if we had the money

Just what we need another injury prone player with a bad attitude to training and hard work. 
Lovely player when fit no doubt.

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We could do with a rumour like. Jeez 🙄

Yup, or any transfer news. Thought we would have at least some speculation in the press or a rumour by now this week.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Last Laff said:

Shankland wasn't pish.  He was void of service.

No no if strikers don’t score they’re pish, nothing to do with the style of play and whether a team plays against a packed defence or hit teams on the break. 
You would think that having watched decent strikers who score elsewhere but struggle to score for us would educate folk, but then they would need to accept the manager at the time didn’t know how to play to strikers strengths. 

Batistuta87
8 minutes ago, db211833 said:

Except the 2 seasons where Wighton was 0 in 19 and 1 in 5.  Being a bit selective are you not?

Christ. 

Read the posts. 

Of course I'm being selective - I'm being deliberately selective and talking SPECIFICIALLY about Wighton in the Championship versus Gnando in the Championship, and the fact of the matter is that Wighton scored more goals. 

Wighton was out of contract at the end of this season so he was never coming with us into the Prem (and rightly so). My point is, there was no real need to sign Gnanduillet when we probably would have got the same amount of goals from Wighton.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No no if strikers don’t score they’re pish, nothing to do with the style of play and whether a team plays against a packed defence or hit teams on the break. 
You would think that having watched decent strikers who score elsewhere but struggle to score for us would educate folk, but then they would need to accept the manager at the time didn’t know how to play to strikers strengths. 

Exactly this.  Especially at a higher level. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

Dinny 🤣

His point is that Wighton scored however many "in a pub league LOLS" but Gnando scored less in the same league so how does that make Gnando the better decision? We should have saved the money and just seen out the season with Wighton and/or Henderson. We were never not going to win that league.

Gnando had just arrived in a new country, having barely trained, in pandemic circumstances. Wighton has played a big chunk of his career at this level against these very clubs. And beyond that, it is not just about the goal tally - there’s no comparison between them in terms of playing pedigree / past level as players, nor in terms of role in the team. Wighton basically is just a shite version of Boyce / Naismith whereas Gnanduillet is a totally different type that offers something different to the team and has played and performed very well at upper League 1 level in England. Which is directly in financial competition with the top 6 (outside OF )in Scotland. Your one dimensional “but Wighton scored 1 more goal than him in the last 10 games!!” is a pitiful argument when you look through the wider facts. 

Wighton: jury is in, he’s pish, found his level and not what we need as we’ve already got similar/ better versions of that type of player, plus the young Henderson starting to develop as a striker. And supposedly one eye on young lad Lavery from Linfield as well who would be a coup. 

Gnanduillet: jury is out, but a few flashes of the different attributes he offers. Totally different type of player with a big presence that enables a different approach to change the dynamic game. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
38 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

James Keatings was decent for us as well though. That's actually a really good comparison to Wighton. Good for championship but not good enough for top league. The point is that they were both decent for us in the championship, which is the point I made about Wighton in my original post you jumped on. 

Wighton was an athlete after an off season where he focussed on improving his body, look at him next to Hendo and tell me who is more athletic. Hendo is quick but very small and doesn't seem to use his low centre of gravity very well. Definitely not in the category of 'has all the physical attributes', especially when compared to Wighton. But I would entertain that Hendo is younger and has more ability on the ball and, probably, more potential. Wighton would have been better for us in the second half of the season though. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
29 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Would love Jack Wilshere if we had the money

Sorry our treatment room is at full capacity.

Rogue Daddy
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Christ. 

Read the posts. 

Of course I'm being selective - I'm being deliberately selective and talking SPECIFICIALLY about Wighton in the Championship versus Gnando in the Championship, and the fact of the matter is that Wighton scored more goals. 

Wighton was out of contract at the end of this season so he was never coming with us into the Prem (and rightly so). My point is, there was no real need to sign Gnanduillet when we probably would have got the same amount of goals from Wighton.

Sorry... couldn't resist 😄

trigg.jpg

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Christ. 

Read the posts. 

It’s a valid point, I’m not sure if Wighton would’ve scored those goals against packed defences that Gnanduillet did though. Neilson did say he wanted to go if you believe him. I get the feeling he was scapegoated for the final loss..
I think the big guy was signed because he was available and for our return to the top league, like GMS and McEneff. 

I wouldn't expect much movement until the club have a better idea of what their income is going to be for the coming season.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Sorry... couldn't resist 😄

trigg.jpg

That we need a new broom 😜

RustyRightPeg
46 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We could do with a rumour like. Jeez 🙄

Think this is a record for how early in the day the transfer thread goes tits up

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Don't think Gnandos was a direct replacement for Wighton, totally different players. 

Binary thinking doesn't really work

Pasquale for King
Just now, Martin_T said:

I wouldn't expect much movement until the club have a better idea of what their income is going to be for the coming season.

So until season tickets go on sale, maybe a month after. So July or August? Might need to get banned from this thread. 

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

That we need a new broom 😜

👏👏👏... yes we do!😄

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s all very quiet, signings. New kit. Sponsors. Dunno whether to be worried or excited 

New plumbing firm in at Hearts to stop the leaks? 

Rick Sanchez

You'd think they'd just announce any pre contracts. Jake Hastie is out of contract in 5 days. Andy Irving going?

Strange silence after the statement. Maybe they want to start the good news just before and the week following ST renewal.

Rogue Daddy
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

You'd think they'd just announce any pre contracts. Jake Hastie is out of contract in 5 days. Andy Irving going?

Strange silence after the statement. Maybe they want to start the good news just before and the week following ST renewal.

I think that's exactly what's happening. They'll have one huge media-dump... new sponsor/new signings/new strip..... followed swiftly by 'get your STs here!'

Tbf, the season finished early and it is still May, I don't think we've ever had any news this early. 

As long as shit is moving smoothly behind the scenes then it's all good. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Could you show a link that Hastie is out of contract in 5 days? He signed a 4 year contract in 2019 and they paid £350k for him, surely they wouldn’t just free him. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Tbf, the season finished early and it is still May, I don't think we've ever had any news this early. 

As long as shit is moving smoothly behind the scenes then it's all good. 

We signed Aidy White in February 2019 I think, hasn’t been confirmed he’s away yet 😱
Halkett not long after.

Rogue Daddy
4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

This thread at 113 pages already! Anything of note yet for someone in just now?

You've missed the square root of hee-haw.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***