***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Kerr the new flavour of the month. He is decent at St Johnstone because he plays in a no nonsense 5 man defence as is McCart and Liam Gordon who wasn't good enough for Hearts. Very much like Halkett was at Livingston where he impressed with Lithgow and Gallagher beside him. Funnily enough, Halkett has never had a bad game for Hearts in a 3 man defence but like Halkett, Kerr in a four had issues, that's why Saints weren't very good before they switched to a back 5. I think Kerr is becoming a bit over hyped, not saying he is not good enough but he's probably no better than the likes of Halkett and not the required upgrade we need for the fee St's would want. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Kerr the new flavour of the month. He is decent at St Johnstone because he plays in a no nonsense 5 man defence as is McCart and Liam Gordon who wasn't good enough for Hearts. Very much like Halkett was at Livingston where he impressed with Lithgow and Gallagher beside him. Funnily enough, Halkett has never had a bad game for Hearts in a 3 man defence but like Halkett, Kerr in a four had issues, that's why Saints weren't very good before they switched to a back 5. I think Kerr is becoming a bit over hyped, not saying he is not good enough but he's probably no better than the likes of Halkett and not the required upgrade we need for the fee St's would want. 

Pretty much agree with this. 

For Kerr to be an effective player we would have to set up and play like St Johnstone. Ain’t gonna happen. 

Batistuta87
20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Hard to disagree with this. He's an alright no nonsense, heed-the-baw type defender, but he's not an upgrade on Souttar (obviously) or Halkett. 

I'm hoping we're in the market for something of an all-rounder, (and I know I'm like a dug with a bone with this one but he really is ideal) like Jimmy Dunne! 

24 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Pretty much agree with this. 

For Kerr to be an effective player we would have to set up and play like St Johnstone. Ain’t gonna happen. 

14 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hard to disagree with this. He's an alright no nonsense, heed-the-baw type defender, but he's not an upgrade on Souttar (obviously) or Halkett. 

I'm hoping we're in the market for something of an all-rounder, (and I know I'm like a dug with a bone with this one but he really is ideal) like Jimmy Dunne! 

Kerr plays RCB, that's Soapy or M. Smith's position imo. Jamie McCart is a better option for us, similar to Kerr but his distribution is better and he plays LCB naturally being a left footer. 

Obviously if we go with a back 4, Dunne alongside Soapy would be ideal as Dunne negates Soapys weakness in that he is more dominant in aerial duals and Soapy is better on the ball. 

Tbh, I quite like a back 3 as we can play with Haring protecting infront which would allow us to play with two attacking Central mids. 

Colonel Kurtz
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Kerr plays RCB, that's Soapy or M. Smith's position imo. Jamie McCart is a better option for us, similar to Kerr but his distribution is better and he plays LCB naturally being a left footer. 

Obviously if we go with a back 4, Dunne alongside Soapy would be ideal as Dunne negates Soapys weakness in that he is more dominant in aerial duals and Soapy is better on the ball. 

Tbh, I quite like a back 3 as we can play with Haring protecting infront which would allow us to play with two attacking Central mids. 

What side is the Rangers boy who went to Hamburg

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Gnando does also win headers in the air - from defenders/keeper hoofs or into the box.

First tall striker we’ve had that could do that since Kyle IMO.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Ah best of luck to Moore.  He has good work rate and seems a good lad.  Still got a great chance of making a profession out of football and that's a massive achievement.  Underestimated how hard it is to make it to pro never mind stay there!

He just didn't have that extra bit of something to his game to be at our level but he never let us down and always did his best - no doubt while other perhaps more talented lads didn't get kept on too.  Should be proud of his time with us.

Have thought for a while with Lewis, he should perhaps convert to LB.  A Baines/Coleman type fullback at lower SPFL prem level, I could see him doing that.

agree with your last paragraph - I reckon that kind of move should always be under consideration for wingers who perhaps lack that final burst of pace or skill to really make an impact up front

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Yes. St J are very much the sum of their parts and we should be wary about jumping on their players and expecting them to perform for us under a very different system. 

Same applies to clubs like Motherwell and Livvy

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

About 15 posts up that way 👆

I was meaning was an actual link or just the usual kick back shite 

35 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

What side is the Rangers boy who went to Hamburg

Right side. He's went backwards a bit. He's at Cercle Brugge now getting hammered most weeks. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Jason is being discussed as a potential player Hearts could be looking at. Flavour of the month, because he is mentioned by some discussing transfer targets. Who is over hyping him.

Jason could turn out to be another Halkett, I think he is a better defender. He reads the game well, strong commanding in the air, isn't slow and can play a bit of football, not your typical hoof it up the park defender.

23 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes. St J are very much the sum of their parts and we should be wary about jumping on their players and expecting them to perform for us under a very different system. 

Same applies to clubs like Motherwell and Livvy

Yep, players that come to Hearts have to be a particular type of player in a role they excel in which fits our system. 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Shame for Moore, IMO he deserved a chance to prove Robbie wrong but it seems once Neilson makes his mind up you’re gone. 

Not encouraging for future youth players IMO. 

should add, I’m not suggesting Moore would have been a top 6 pushing for 3rd winger, I’m just making the point that as part of a club commitment to youth he should have been given a chance before we went after Frear & Roberts, then Kastaneer. 

Lewis Moore is nowhere near good enough for first team football at Hearts,absolutely miles away 

1 minute ago, suds66 said:

Jason is being discussed as a potential player Hearts could be looking at. Flavour of the month, because he is mentioned by some discussing transfer targets. Who is over hyping him.

Jason could turn out to be another Halkett, I think he is a better defender. He reads the game well, strong commanding in the air, isn't slow and can play a bit of football, not your typical hoof it up the park defender.

I very much doubt he is someone we are interested in because we already have several players that can play RCB. It's not the area we need to recruit in. 

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Lewis Moore is nowhere near good enough for first team football at Hearts,absolutely miles away 

If he were to play top flight football he’d suit a very defensive set up. He was at his best when his main job was to press the opposition full back and stop them pushing forward. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I very much doubt he is someone we are interested in because we already have several players that can play RCB. It's not the area we need to recruit in. 

From what I know, Hearts have not made any enquiries and are probably not interested. It is interesting to hear what peoples opinions are of players being discussed all the same.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

If he were to play top flight football he’d suit a very defensive set up. He was at his best when his main job was to press the opposition full back and stop them pushing forward. 

A winger /strikers main job is to  score and assist , Lewis could do neither. 

The best will occupy fullbacks and stop them from pushing forward that much is true  tbf

Just now, ramrod said:

A winger /strikers main job is to  score and assist , Lewis could do neither. 

The best will occupy fullbacks and stop them from pushing forward that much is true  tbf

That’s the issue with him. He’s only really good at pressing and stopping defenders starting moves. Good to have when you’re playing Celtic. Not so good against bottom half side because doesn’t produce enough, in an attacking sense. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

That’s the issue with him. He’s only really good at pressing and stopping defenders starting moves. Good to have when you’re playing Celtic. Not so good against bottom half side because doesn’t produce enough, in an attacking sense. 

Yeah like a lot of our recent wide men, with GMS and Gino we look to have two that can chip in with goals and assists 

6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Yeah like a lot of our recent wide men, with GMS and Gino we look to have two that can chip in with goals and assists 

Here’s hoping. They both have the ability to excite the crowd. Sort the central midfield out so we don’t rely on the wide players too much and we might be on to something. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Ah best of luck to Moore.  He has good work rate and seems a good lad.  Still got a great chance of making a profession out of football and that's a massive achievement.  Underestimated how hard it is to make it to pro never mind stay there!

He just didn't have that extra bit of something to his game to be at our level but he never let us down and always did his best - no doubt while other perhaps more talented lads didn't get kept on too.  Should be proud of his time with us.

Have thought for a while with Lewis, he should perhaps convert to LB.  A Baines/Coleman type fullback at lower SPFL prem level, I could see him doing that.

I think he will

end up as a fullback, good luck to the lad. 

50 minutes ago, ramrod said:

You've missed my point. 

I want the clubs mentality/culture to be, give the academy lads the opportunity to succeed first. Neilson point blank refused to give Moore any game time or opportunity to prove him wrong. He immediately signed him out of the team with two players who weren't good enough to play for Hearts. Then when that became clear he signed another two wingers (Kastaneer & GMS), neither of which hit the ground running - Kastaneer didn't even hit the ground.. 

My point is that it was disappointing to see Neilson refuse to give an opportunity to an academy graduate and waste  thousands signing players to play that position who weren't good enough either. Frear, Roberts & Kastaneer probably cost the club over £100k. Versus a young laddie who wasn't any worse and already here? Its very disheartening to see IMO. If we want to sign a player better than what we have, a prerequisite of that should be for the player to actually be better than what we have. None of those 3 were better than what we had.  

TyphoonJambo
39 minutes ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

I want the clubs mentality/culture to be, give the academy lads the opportunity to succeed first. Neilson point blank refused to give Moore any game time or opportunity to prove him wrong. He immediately signed him out of the team with two players who weren't good enough to play for Hearts. Then when that became clear he signed another two wingers (Kastaneer & GMS), neither of which hit the ground running - Kastaneer didn't even hit the ground.. 

My point is that it was disappointing to see Neilson refuse to give an opportunity to an academy graduate and waste  thousands signing players to play that position who weren't good enough either. Frear, Roberts & Kastaneer probably cost the club over £100k. Versus a young laddie who wasn't any worse and already here? Its very disheartening to see IMO. If we want to sign a player better than what we have, a prerequisite of that should be for the player to actually be better than what we have. None of those 3 were better than what we had.  

100% spot on.

Batistuta87
46 minutes ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

:greatpost:

AllyjamboDerbyshire
47 minutes ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

Very good post 👍

50 minutes ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

Well said .

Rick Sanchez
55 minutes ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

My man.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

Excellent post 👍

upgotheheads
57 minutes ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

I see where your coming from but maybe it's not that simple.

Frear, when I saw him at Motherwell, wasn't a bad player and  should have been good enough to do a job in the Championship. Kastaneer was a loan player, worth a punt and like Frear cost us nothing. Roberts went to Motherwell and did quite well by all accounts, so might turn out to be value in the end.

The main job was to get us out of the Championship, and relying on untried youngsters to do that was an even bigger gamble.  

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

I’ve not been bothered about any single player, youth or otherwise, who has left in the last couple of years but Lewis Moore

1. Deserved a run in the first team this season based on performances the season before 

2. Tells you everything that is wrong with our youth system and policy

3. Could easily be a mistake which bites us on the arse one day

4. Flies in the face of the myth that we intend to draft young club produced players into the first team next season. If there was any real intention to do so, you surely keep Moore.

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve not been bothered about any single player, youth or otherwise, who has left in the last couple of years but Lewis Moore

1. Deserved a run in the first team this season based on performances the season before 

4. Flies in the face of the myth that we intend to draft young club produced players into the first team next season. If there was any real intention to do so, you surely keep Moore.

Moore has been pish bar a few weeks under Stendel. Most folk were saying why the **** did we give him a new contract. 

he didn’t impress on loan at Forfar and hasn’t done much outside of that either. 

1. meh - its possible but we don’t know what RN etc saw at training.

2. Doesnt tell us anything

3. If he bites us in the arse itll be because hes shown something in his mid to late 20s he hasnt so far - how long do we persost with younger players before we give up and move them on. Hes away to turn 23 not 17/18 thats a late time to develop at the top level. 
4. Not at all - Players like Logan and Stone you keep and develop - Moore is not one that moving on flies in the face of youth integration.

5. This season was a joke with trying to integrate anyone. I think judging any player who came in is tough due to covid protocols and indeed judging any younger players is tough too due to bubbles. I don’t think these things can be judged until normality returns. Releasing Moore is not something to chastise the club for when he’s done the square root of **** all in his entire time at the club

47 minutes ago, sadj said:

Moore has been pish bar a few weeks under Stendel. Most folk were saying why the **** did we give him a new contract. 

he didn’t impress on loan at Forfar and hasn’t done much outside of that either. 

1. meh - its possible but we don’t know what RN etc saw at training.

2. Doesnt tell us anything

3. If he bites us in the arse itll be because hes shown something in his mid to late 20s he hasnt so far - how long do we persost with younger players before we give up and move them on. Hes away to turn 23 not 17/18 thats a late time to develop at the top level. 
4. Not at all - Players like Logan and Stone you keep and develop - Moore is not one that moving on flies in the face of youth integration.

5. This season was a joke with trying to integrate anyone. I think judging any player who came in is tough due to covid protocols and indeed judging any younger players is tough too due to bubbles. I don’t think these things can be judged until normality returns. Releasing Moore is not something to chastise the club for when he’s done the square root of **** all in his entire time at the club

To some it may be harsh but the point is fair

There has to be a time when decisions are made and you can hardly say Moore has stood out even at a lower level...good luck to him by the way as in his last first team spell he did give his all.

Just now, CJGJ said:

To some it may be harsh but the point is fair

There has to be a time when decisions are made and you can hardly say Moore has stood out even at a lower level...good luck to him by the way as in his last first team spell he did give his all.

👍🏻

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Why? He has had lots of opportunities over last two to three years and has failed to take them. He is 22 next month - by that age should already be an established first team player and looking to move upwards in the game. Only he isn’t good enough. Will be surprised if he even becomes a regular starter with top half championship team. Unfortunately Lewis is another of those guys who looked good at all age groups and reserves but just couldn’t do it at first team level. Lots like him in the past and many more to come I’m sure. One of footballs mysteries. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cant believe folk are still arguing Moore.

Kastaneer is a pretty awful stick to beat as well. He was an emergency when Ginnelly went down at Raith late in the window. 

Moore was too weak for the division hence Arbroath chose not to start him.

Spin it round like some do, if he is not good enough for Arbroath how on earth can you criticize Neilson when the players not suited to the physical nature of that division?

Some poor signings but that was the bucket we were left with as a result of vastly reduced revenues. 

Connor Smith I might have kept around but didn't always play for Cove. 

The job got done. 

Logan was a shit signing when he came then why not give him a contract when we do try to lower age.

Goalposts just keep moving to suit the narrative. 

BackOfTheNet
22 minutes ago, Barack said:

Signing for Celtic. (Nah, only kidding.)

But they can afford him...so who knows...? Won't be back at Sheffield Wednesday that's for sure.

Screenshot_20210526-230000_Instagram.jpg

Will be at Blackburn, Birmingham or Reading or similar type team. Will be at teams like that until his 30’s where he will have a final jaunt in Scotland before retiring. Basically the same old story for Scottish players we have high hopes for.

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Kastaneer is a pretty awful stick to beat as well. He was an emergency when Ginnelly went down at Raith late in the window. 

Spin it round like some do, if he is not good enough for Arbroath how on earth can you criticize Neilson when the players not suited to the physical nature of that division?

Some poor signings but that was the bucket we were left with as a result of vastly reduced revenues. 

The job got done. 

Logan was a shit signing when he came then why not give him a contract when we do try to lower age.

It's ridiculous. 

Folk say the club lacks ambition, RN won't take us forward, we should be 3rd.

Then champion players like Moore. 

Howling. 

Lots of concerns and issues but Moore wasn't one of them. 

22 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Gordon Forrest possibly heading back to Utd according to The Sun.

Stevie Crawford back in 🤔🙁

Hungry hippo
23 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

£1m compo please.

25 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Should get Craig Gordon more involved if he leaves, he's about the only man at the club with high expectations

1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

Taking Robbie as his assistant? 

5 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Should get Craig Gordon more involved if he leaves, he's about the only man at the club with high expectations

It's a great shout tbh...his professionalism, career, experience, desire to win and standards should be a benchmark for others, to at least aspire to if not achieve at least...

TyphoonJambo
2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

It's a great shout tbh...his professionalism, career, experience, desire to win and standards should be a benchmark for others, to at least aspire to if not achieve at least...

Good points but Sounds like a space for Naismith has appeared?

Edited by TypoonJambo

35 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Good points but Sounds like a space for Naismith has appeared?

Could well be right with that. Seems like an awfy coincidence that Naisy moving on to coaching and one of our coaches is said to be leaving.

8 hours ago, sadj said:

Stevie Crawford back in 🤔🙁

I posted that on here as soon as he left the Pars so I’m taking the credit for being itk - if it happens😂😂😂😂

9 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

The job got done. 

Smith, Cammy Logan and Moore all suffered from not being match fit when the lower leagues restarted earlier this year. Main reason they didn’t play much at their loan clubs. 12 months without a competitive match really does nothing for a players ability to contribute especially at that age and given Cove were in a promotion battle and Arbroath in a relegation battle it’s easy to see why Hartley and Campbell went with the players they knew. 

13 hours ago, OTT said:

You've missed my point. 

Wouldn't argue with any of that.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***