***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

26 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hoping for another Djoum type signing  from Robbie tbh, we need an athlete with a real 90 minute engine in there. 

Djoum! But he was a lazy non event.

or so a lot on here and in Wheatfield Stand used to say. 
he was a good player and we have missed him dreadfully

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Batistuta87
34 minutes ago, Barack said:

Why can't McEneff be both of those? Anyone who comes in, and assuming of course Haring stays fit, has to supplant them. 

Both have the energy, ability to play passes & score. They worked really well together, last few games. 

Cover for Haring, yes, imo. But casting off McEneff would be a mistake, imo. And besides, I'm still of the opinion that Savage will be looking south, before Scotland. 

Because we need a backup option and a competitor for his place in the team. We can't just rely solely on him. Turner is almost a carbon copy of McEneff in terms of his main attributes. They're both a bit like, dare I say it, Scott Brown but without being a complete and utter arsehole. If McEneff runs out of steam, picks up a knock, has a bad game, or needs to come off for any other reason, that's where Turner comes in. Having someone competing for his place in the team will also keep him sharp and will keep him working hard in training and all that. 

When setting up a team you generally have two of every position. Currently we only have McEneff as our box to box dynamo type, so if that's a tactic we want to employ and a type of player we want to have in our team, then we need more than one of them. Turner for me is the best option available because he's young, he's cheap, he's ambitious and he's very eager to improve, and he fits right into the gap that McEneff would leave if we did need to go without him for any reason. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Batistuta87
6 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Watched him semi regularly this season. Has bags of energy but more importantly has a good range of passing, using it quickly and effectively, which is polar opposite to our midfielders during certain points this season. Also quite nippy in the tackle considering his size he seems to really enjoy getting in peoples faces. Would be a smart, low risk signing.

My thoughts exactly. 👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Because we need a backup option and a competitor for his place in the team. We can't just rely solely on him. Turner is almost a carbon copy of McEneff in terms of his main attributes. They're both a bit like, dare I say it, Scott Brown but without being a complete and utter arsehole. If McEneff runs out of steam, picks up a knock, has a bad game, or needs to come off for any other reason, that's where Turner comes in. Having someone competing for his place in the team will also keep him sharp and will keep him working hard in training and all that. 

When setting up a team you generally have two of every position. Currently we only have McEneff as our box to box dynamo type, so if that's a tactic we want to employ and a type of player we want to have in our team, then we need more than one of them. Turner for me is the best option available because he's young, he's cheap, he's ambitious and he's very eager to improve, and he fits right into the gap that McEneff would leave if we did need to go without him for any reason. 

I didnt want to compare but Campbell reminds me of the younger version of Brown, just a dominant force in the engine room. I really would have made that my priority

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Thought Benfica where looking at him. 

Maybe they are, more than 1 club can look at  a player!

Batistuta87
17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I didnt want to compare but Campbell reminds me of the younger version of Brown, just a dominant force in the engine room. I really would have made that my priority

Yeah agree a first choice midfielder to sit in the middle and ping passes around should be the priority, in no way am I saying we sign Turner and that's it lol but yeah he would be part of the space filling exercise we need to undertake as well. 

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

I get all that, mate. Folk are going to be very dissapointed at places being merely filled, is all I'll say. 

I've not seen anything to suggest Campbell or Turner, are a significant improvement on current incumbents in there. Campbell certainly won't join to sit behind Haring or Halliday.

Aw no I'm not saying Turner is the solution to improving our starting 11 - definitely not. That's another matter entirely, and Campbell would still be my pick for doing just that. I think he would probably nudge Halliday out of the team, perhaps into the LWB role as someone mentioned above and let Kingsley sit inside. Don't know. One thing is for sure though, McEneff's role in the team is high energy and high impact so it would be super useful to have someone to come in and take his place when needed. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Dont see the fuss about Hendry or Turner tbh.

Hendry was over run by our less than impressive midfield, Turner wasnt but seems more limited ability wise than Hendry. Stocking fillers I think. But you have to accept if you sign 6, they may come in 2's, star, regular and squaddie. Anyone coming up from the Champ is likely to be squaddie, though Nisbet has proved, it really isnt the gargantuan jump, in fact not sure it is a jump

Agree, still say the only player that stood out in each game I watched in the Championship was that Vaughn for Raith.

Obviously we overran them a few times, but he looked quick, good touch, a bit of vision and could go past a player and drive forward. Stood out in the other odd Raith Game i caught as well.

Maybe too light weight or not right mentality for higher level, but he looked like he had good technique and awareness.

I’m in no way ITK but was working in Dundee yesterday and working beside a guy who’s connected at Dundee untied. 

Anyway he was saying that we have put a bid in for shankland as he wants away from United. 

Says the powers that be at United are trying like crazy to put some reserve team coach in as new manager but some people aren't happy so all arguing amongst themselves at the moment

Says most fans aren’t that bothered about Mellon leaving and I won’t even go into what he thinks of Neilson 

Anyway he’s adamant we are after shankland and said he be gutted if he left as he’s the only decent player they have 

Not saying this will happen but I believe what he’s been told to be true 

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, Barack said:

I get all that, mate. Folk are going to be very dissapointed at places being merely filled, is all I'll say. 

I've not seen anything to suggest Campbell or Turner, are a significant improvement on current incumbents in there. Campbell certainly won't join to sit behind Haring or Halliday.

I would bin Andy Halliday from the squad in a heartbeat in order to get Allan Campbell. I’m still going on the assumption he will be out of our reach because I thought he was moving to Millwall. He would be a huge favourite here, something Halliday will never ever be. 

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree, still say the only player that stood out in each game I watched in the Championship was that Vaughn for Raith.

Obviously we overran them a few times, but he looked quick, good touch, a bit of vision and could go past a player and drive forward. Stood out in the other odd Raith Game i caught as well.

Maybe too light weight or not right mentality for higher level, but he looked like he had good technique and awareness.

He never clapped us when they gave us a guard of honour so probably a Hibby. Made himself look a bit of an arse when he did that and then went on to have a pretty average game. He was alright the other time we played them, but definitely not good enough for Hearts.

Don't know if you're suggesting he'd be a better signing or just speaking generally, but he's in contract with Raith until 2023, maybe even 2024. Turner and Hendry definitely better options. 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Maybe Levein was the leaker ! 😱

He started Covid as well so he's capable of anything😀

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I would bin Andy Halliday from the squad in a heartbeat in order to get Allan Campbell. I’m still going on the assumption he will be out of our reach because I thought he was moving to Millwall. He would be a huge favourite here, something Halliday will never ever be. 

So would I.

Batistuta87
17 minutes ago, theshed said:

I’m in no way ITK but was working in Dundee yesterday and working beside a guy who’s connected at Dundee untied. 

Anyway he was saying that we have put a bid in for shankland as he wants away from United. 

Says the powers that be at United are trying like crazy to put some reserve team coach in as new manager but some people aren't happy so all arguing amongst themselves at the moment

Says most fans aren’t that bothered about Mellon leaving and I won’t even go into what he thinks of Neilson 

Anyway he’s adamant we are after shankland and said he be gutted if he left as he’s the only decent player they have 

Heard they're close to appointing Tam Coutts (???) - head of youth development or something at the moment. Strange one like. 

Would take Shankland though, if the price is right. Clearly has an eye for goal and I think if he could get some decent service and get the ball at his feet in the box, he'll score goals. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Berra than you
9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Wouldn't take Shankland. Not when we have a forward who's twice the player he is. He's not much use as a back-up either, for Hearts or himself.

If he goes, it'll be to the bright lights of Yorkshire, or some other Covid-19 hellscape.

I'd take him. Whilst Boyce is undoubtedly a better player, if we are gonna play with two up he could be useful. Or if Boyce wants to sit a tad deeper like the last few games of the season. Shankland has struggled this season, a lot of that through lack of service. Whilst that might not improve if he came here, Robbie did manage to get the best out of him.

All of that said, I wouldn't want us to be spending a lot on him.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So would I.

I don’t mind him on the left but I hope he never plays another game in central midfield for us again. 

1 hour ago, I.T.K said:

Would love another Djoum.... I would also love the old Djoum back. :lol: 

TBH, if we can't get Campbell, going out and signed Djoum, Hendry & Turner would probably be a smart move. Djoum isn't going to play every week which gives both the younger lads plenty opportunity to stake their claim. 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Heard they're close to appointing Tam Coutts (???) - head of youth development or something at the moment. Strange one like. 

Would take Shankland though. 

If it’s true, it just sounds like the cheapest possible option. Their wage bill dwarfed their turnover before Covid. 

BackOfTheNet

I’d take Shankland. But not as first choice and not breaking the bank to get him. If he’s happy coming off the bench against the likes of Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Aberdeen if we’re chasing and needing to lump balls in and around the box and need a player to snatch a chance and occasionally play in a front two against the smaller teams then I’d have him in as backup to Boyce and Gnanduillet. Always think teams should have 4 quality strikers, 3 minimum (with a youth backup). But as I say, would not break the bank to do so.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Wouldn't take Shankland. Not when we have a forward who's twice the player he is. He's not much use as a back-up either, for Hearts or himself.

If he goes, it'll be to the bright lights of Yorkshire, or some other Covid-19 hellscape.

Disagreeing with you again, 3 Center forward options suits me, Boyce + Shankland + Gnando would be as good a set of forwards we’ve seen at Hearts in many years. Whoever starts, whoever subs, there’s a goal threat in the box at all times. Keep them rotating to manage injuries better than we have in recent seasons. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He never clapped us when they gave us a guard of honour so probably a Hibby. Made himself look a bit of an arse when he did that and then went on to have a pretty average game. He was alright the other time we played them, but definitely not good enough for Hearts.

Don't know if you're suggesting he'd be a better signing or just speaking generally, but he's in contract with Raith until 2023, maybe even 2024. Turner and Hendry definitely better options. 

Nah, not fussed either way but He's the only one that I thought " he's a bit of a player", looked good, nice touch, awareness, good technically.

No one else has stood out for me tbh, albeit  in the very limited viewing time I've had of other players.

23 minutes ago, theshed said:

I’d like to see what he could at Hearts. And United might need to get him off the wage bill. 

Batistuta87
Just now, GinRummy said:

If it’s true, it just sounds like the cheapest possible option. Their wage bill dwarfed their turnover before Covid. 

Yeah heard that too, One of the numbers I heard was 130% of last season's turnover which is just stupid and will be much worse now. Don't think they have an option but to appoint from within.  

Berra than you
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

With Dundee United scraping the cookie jar, never mind the debacle from Neilson leaving & going to court...United wouldn't deal with us until Judgement Day, I'd imagine. :lol:

They'll want Nisbet-type money.

😂. Yeah, if they are wanting daft money they can bolt, imo he's worth less now that he was last year. No chance they will command Nisbet type money, but I agree they will likely look for that.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Disagreeing with you again, 3 Center forward options suits me, Boyce + Shankland + Gnando would be as good a set of forwards we’ve seen at Hearts in many years. Whoever starts, whoever subs, there’s a goal threat in the box at all times. Keep them rotating to manage injuries better than we have in recent seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

It's fine, I don't mind the other viewpoints. I'm in a very strange mood, today. So perhaps my cynicism is coming across more than normal.

See merit in both, but for me Shankland just isn't that good. He's useless outside the box.

However, he would be a different option to Boyce and Gnando and the 3 of them are all different so could work in many ways depending on the situation.

KyleLafferty

People turning their nose up at shankland is bizzare. We are desperate for penalty box striker. Boyce best work is outside the box, he needs 3/4 chances to score, still a great player for us. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

TBH, if we can't get Campbell, going out and signed Djoum, Hendry & Turner would probably be a smart move. Djoum isn't going to play every week which gives both the younger lads plenty opportunity to stake their claim. 

I see your point, but I hope we move away from this tbh.

I'd rather have 1 good player than 3 if, buts and maybes. We have enough average players able to fill in, I want us to sign players that improve the first 11, we need 3/4 of these ( ages is irrelevant imo, we need better players), then if we do that  we can improve the first 18-20 with younger lads.

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

People turning their nose up at shankland is bizzare. We are desperate for penalty box striker. Boyce best work is outside the box, he needs 3/4 chances to score, still a great player for us. 

If the game is played at a decent pace and balls come into Boyce, he can score for fun. It’s when he has time on the ball he tends to miss more. No time to think about it and he usually puts it away. 

Edited by GinRummy

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, Barack said:

A year left on his contract. Going rate...probably a million would get him. United shouldn't sell for less than that, imo. Come January though...not many options left.

Hibs can't afford him without selling.  Aberdeen can't afford him. We can't afford that. Doubt Celtic or Rangers would take him. They don't need him.( Though Griffiths might leave & it's hardly stopped them before...).

Lower English league side beckons, imho.

Yeah if that's what they are wanting I don't see anyone paying that. His stock has fallen as he's not been free scoring this past season. Probably is the going rate these days, no chance he's worth that much though.

Edited by Berra than you

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Boyce + Shankland , it might not work, but the contrasting styles there,  it could be fireworks, a classic partnership. If the opportunity was there for a deal for Shankland it would be a no brainer.

Maybe we can offer a player or 2 to go the other way. If they’re cost cutting they’ll need a few bodies in. How’s their keeper situation, what about Harry Stone on loan? Boy looks class. Or maybe Walker or Naismith, bit part players here lately. Or Halliday if they need an extra body in midfield drive him there myself. Or if Irving fancies going there, we could waive the development fee. 

If we got Shankland it would certainly tick the box of the “wow” signing that’s been rumoured 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

I assume we've gotten over the "Only Hearts" stuff now?

We're all happy to give Motherwell, or Dundee United...any other Scottish team that voted us out, cash, in order for a speculative punt on their players?

Bygones, etc? Or just reality. 

Can only speak personally but I was done with it a while ago. Without club and most fans following through with it, it was always going to fail I suppose. Add to that the fact I only go to one or two away games a season and I’d be a bit of a hypocrite having a go at fellow fans for going to Dundee or Dingwall next season.  

We're all happy to give Motherwell, or Dundee United...any other Scottish team that voted us out, cash, in order for a speculative punt on their players?

This is a bizarre viewpoint. 

If a club has a player worth buying should we just not bother and let our rivals sign them up?

It's real life...its not playground nonsense, tintanet mutterings or mindset....also don't recall the club suggesting this either (thankfully!) to boot...

Just now, Barack said:

It wasn't really ever my viewpoint. I was never going to bother my arse in the slightest to get a stream ppv from Alloa, etc this season, for example.

More a musing on the realities of football & the fickleness of the average fan, really.👍🏻

Fickle seems a fair word to use. Felt ok as an idea at the time but probably just a vague slogan that meant different things to different people. Next season feels like it’s back to normality. 

Berra than you
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

When's it ever?! If we were offered that, we'd be going spare on here. But it's a post-Covid reality. And like it or not, United will need to accept less. But it's highly unlikely, bordering on asteroid earth ending, that it'll be us paying that.

"James...could you...?"

"No. **** off."

😂😂😂😂

I'm not so sure if Shankland is worth paying money for. I'm not too fussed either way, but would rather we didn't break the bank when we have Boyce, Gnando, Naismith, Henderson and in a pinch even Walker.

I'd rather we signed up Campbell as an absolute priority. Even if that means paying him a little more than we're comfortable with. Pretty confident we could flip him inside 12 months for a seven figure fee. 

Just now, OTT said:

I'm not so sure if Shankland is worth paying money for. I'm not too fussed either way, but would rather we didn't break the bank when we have Boyce, Gnando, Naismith, Henderson and in a pinch even Walker.

I'd rather we signed up Campbell as an absolute priority. Even if that means paying him a little more than we're comfortable with. Pretty confident we could flip him inside 12 months for a seven figure fee. 

Broadly agree. Midfield and central defence should be priority. Adding another striker, at this point, seems a bit of a luxury. 

complete control
16 minutes ago, Barack said:

was finished the day budge helped them oot with our goalkeeper

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Broadly agree. Midfield and central defence should be priority. Adding another striker, at this point, seems a bit of a luxury. 

Its the transfer fee thats making me boke, at our level its very rarely money well spent IMO. Devante Cole is on a free and IMO would be a much better acquisition. 

But absolutely, we need to get CB and CM sorted asap then look at where we can fine tune things. 

20 minutes ago, Barack said:

It will take a lot of time or if ever to forget what the tossers done to us but it can’t stop us signing  players from them if it would benefit us .

Lord Beni of Gorgie
51 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'm not Halliday's biggest fan. But he's going nowhere. And unless our new non-executive director is feeling benevolent, then Campbell will be going nowhere near either. 

I keep saying it, but for one Campbell @ 300-500k development fees, there are 10 times that number available in the market that Savage knows better. And cheaper. It's just a reality. Folk are pinning a lot of wishful thoughts on this lad. Rightly or wrongly. I've no particular thoughts on the merits of him signing.

If he does...fine. If not...next.

There aren't 10 times that number. This is a quality player sitting on the doorstep who knows the League. My main worry on Savage, he is looking at English Leagues largely I expect, and so often the players form, does not translate to Scottish Premier, and vice versa for that matter. A quality player in our own league should be gold dust and well worth the fee when you can be reasonably confident they will move on for a fee, if they perform as you expect

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its the transfer fee thats making me boke, at our level its very rarely money well spent IMO. Devante Cole is on a free and IMO would be a much better acquisition. 

But absolutely, we need to get CB and CM sorted asap then look at where we can fine tune things. 

Aye the fee would be better spent elsewhere. Even the wages though, until we know how much we are paying in wages for new defenders or midfielders, how can we know how much we have available for a new striker?  Might be oversimplifying there. 

Famous 1874

Jason Naismith? Would fit the role of right wing back nicely if we keep the 3 at the back. 26 years old and well experienced in Scotland. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

If this “wow” signing is Lawrence Shankland, then I reckon I’ll cry.

The "wow" was apparently playing at the top level in UK

A_A wehatethehibs

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The "wow" was apparently playing at the top level in UK

Aguero 

3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Who's 'Campbell' that i've seen mentioned a good few times? Pardon my ignorance.

alan? campbell at motherwell

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Who's 'Campbell' that i've seen mentioned a good few times? Pardon my ignorance.

Allan Campbell, highly rated Motherwell midfielder.

Auldbenches
59 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He started Covid as well so he's capable of anything😀

I'm surprised it's you who jumped on a levein joke.   

He never started covid but he did **** our club up.  

We'll leave it at that...

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***