Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

AllyjamboDerbyshire
25 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

🤞

The word "coup" has been thrown around a lot this window -  but this would be an absolute coup 

But would it be a big coup, or just one that's closer than a wee coup?

Jack Torrance
1 minute ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

But would it be a big coup, or just one that's closer than a wee coup?

Some coups are further away than others.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 minute ago, Jack Torrance said:

Some coups are further away than others.

Well, with the international break, at least we know we've got a week aff! Which just might grow into a great big coup.

As they say, the auld yins are the best, but I'll get ma coat anyway.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Well I hope we get all our remaining targets and it wont be a case of one flew over the coup coups nest

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Well I hope we get all our remaining targets and it wont be a case of one flew over the coup coups nest

Good one Chief

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Woodburn called up by Wales, which on one hand is great, gets him games and already his move has a benefit, but would have been marvellous to get all of these new guys integrated prior to the extermination works due 12th Sept

David McCaig
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Woodburn called up by Wales, which on one hand is great, gets him games and already his move has a benefit, but would have been marvellous to get all of these new guys integrated prior to the extermination works due 12th Sept

I think any sort of game time is good for him at the moment.

I wonder if we will play Devlin as an over age player against Hamilton tomorrow night, possibly Moore as well.

Jack Torrance
13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Covid free I hope, or it might be a case of coup coup ca choo...

R-5066444-1383583340-4069.jpeg.jpg

34 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Surely with the other clubs named being interested there’s no real chance? I mean, he can play in the Championship at a club not far from him (Bournemouth) or in London (with Fulham) where he grew up and has family and likely still friends there. He would be playing for sides likely in the promotion chase too. IF we are even in for him I can only imagine the slimmest of chances would be an expectancy at more first team games and a chance to solidify his international place. He wouldn’t necessarily be considered a starter at those Championship clubs, but I can still see him going there before us.

Wouldn't write off our chances v the championship, Southampton have quite a history of taking players from the SPL and whilst mainly their connection with Celtic they obviously don't look down on the SPL as much as many other clubs might

41 minutes ago, Gav M said:

cheers, watching the video of CG on Instagram has fully stoked my whelks, feel like a bairn at Christmas!

Not a big fan of seafood myself, but each to his own:thumbsup:

rudi must stay
51 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

If he’s in greggs on gorgie road not interested in signing him, gorgie fish bar only!!

You sure you're wanting sauce singing for the Jambos 

Seymour M Hersh
58 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

not possible imo 

"The impossible we can do right now. Miracles take a little longer".

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I think any sort of game time is good for him at the moment.

I wonder if we will play Devlin as an over age player against Hamilton tomorrow night, possibly Moore as well.

Wouldnt be the worst idea. Wonder what sort of shape Devlin is in to be honest

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Covid free I hope, or it might be a case of coup coup ca choo...

R-5066444-1383583340-4069.jpeg.jpg

:lol:

1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

We've also got Devlin, so unless they all get suspended at the same time, I don't think that's really the case.

We've definitely got other areas where we're lighter than CM (e.g. forward areas, right-wing-back). If strengthening those areas means letting go the 5th choice CM then it makes sense to do so.

All three are on 2 bookings making it foreseeable that they could all be suspended simultaneously.

What do you mean by  ‘letting go’ ?

Edited by Mr Elwood P

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

All three are on 2 bookings so foreseeable that they could all book suspended simultaneously.

What do you mean by  ‘letting go’ ?

3 players in the same position suspended at the same time? If not unprecedented, then very unlikely. Even in that instance we've got another first team CM available as well as M Smith who can cover for that one game. 

Given the first team budget is finite, it's probably more sensible to spend it on areas where we're more likely to need cover. As mentioned earlier, if Baningime and Devlin are unavailable then we've still got Halliday and Haring to step in. What if that's Boyce and Gnanduillet? Then we've got no natural strikers. Or GMS and Ginnelly? Then we've only really got Woodburn who plays out wide. Then there's Smith, who is our only decent option at right-back, and probably isn't that suited to the wing-back role either.

Those areas are all more pressing concerns than the 3 players unavailable at the same time scenario in CM in my opinion.

By letting go, I mean letting him leave either permanently or on loan, thus reducing the wage bill.

4 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

3 players in the same position suspended at the same time? If not unprecedented, then very unlikely. Even in that instance we've got another first team CM available as well as M Smith who can cover for that one game. 

Given the first team budget is finite, it's probably more sensible to spend it on areas where we're more likely to need cover. As mentioned earlier, if Baningime and Devlin are unavailable then we've still got Halliday and Haring to step in. What if that's Boyce and Gnanduillet? Then we've got no natural strikers. Or GMS and Ginnelly? Then we've only really got Woodburn who plays out wide. Then there's Smith, who is our only decent option at right-back, and probably isn't that suited to the wing-back role either.

Those areas are all more pressing concerns than the 3 players unavailable at the same time scenario in CM in my opinion.

By letting go, I mean letting him leave either permanently or on loan, thus reducing the wage bill.

Permanently let go = we pay up his contract. 

Loan deal = we pay a percentage of his wages. 

Even with successful negotiation on our part the saving in wages will be negligible. That’s not even taking into account the fact he’s only been here 8 months so it’s quite ridiculous to even be talking about him leaving at this juncture. 

1 hour ago, Jamboj1 said:

If he’s in greggs on gorgie road not interested in signing him, gorgie fish bar only!!

^^^ the poster makes a good point m’laud……

7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Does seem way out the picture 

He was a sub on Saturday 

Seems very much part of the picture 

Football is a 20 man squad game these days

players must accept that there will be times when they must bide there time 

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Permanently let go = we pay up his contract. 

Loan deal = we pay a percentage of his wages. 

Even with successful negotiation on our part the saving in wages will be negligible. That’s not even taking into account the fact he’s only been here 8 months so it’s quite ridiculous to even be talking about him leaving at this juncture. 

Firstly, I said a reduction in the wage bill, not a complete reallocation of his wages. I'm very aware that a loan deal or a deal to let him go might not free up his entire wage, and nothing I said was predicated on that.

You have no idea what the deal on the table is and whether the potential saving is negligible. If another club was keen on him and he was keen on leaving, it's possible we might be willing to forego a transfer fee in return for a greatly reduced pay-off to him.

If that isn't the case, and we're not going to make any saving on him, then I'm quite happy to keep him around. We're not going to release him from his contract with no tangible benefit to us. This is a hypothetical scenario we're discussing.

Your last sentence is a good example of the sunk cost fallacy. The fact is, it doesn't look likely he's going to be required in more than a handful of games this season. If there's an opportunity to make a saving on him now and reinvest in other areas then it makes sense to do so. If not, then we won't.

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Remember when we had four players sent off Ibrox? 
Or St Mirren had four GKs out last season?

Or Rangers missing two RBs and two GKs yesterday. 

You can’t obviously sign loads of players just in case, like Levein did (19 players in one season). 
A loan deal to a lesser club in our league would be the best idea considering the number of players that are out of contract next summer.,

BackOfTheNet

Loan deals where the other club pay at least 50% of the wages and there’s a recall option in January are not a bad thing, so long as the player is playing at least at the same level. (Not including development loans or shop window loans, obviously)

Remember when we seemed to have contact with that Juventus player who was on loan to Kilmarnock couple of years ago ? 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can’t obviously sign loads of players just in case, like Levein did (19 players in one season). 
A loan deal to a lesser club in our league would be the best idea considering the number of players that are out of contract next summer.,

The point is that those are rare scenarios which probably only affect 1/2 games if any. As you've said, if you built a squad on that basis we'd have a first team squad of 30+ players.

Like I said in the post, we'd be in more trouble if we had a couple of strikers out, or a couple of wingers, or Smith, rather than a couple of CMs.

Edited by DC_92

4 minutes ago, HMFC_France said:

Remember when we seemed to have contact with that Juventus player who was on loan to Kilmarnock couple of years ago ? 

Think he's signed for a Belgian top flight team

24 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Firstly, I said a reduction in the wage bill, not a complete reallocation of his wages. I'm very aware that a loan deal or a deal to let him go might not free up his entire wage, and nothing I said was predicated on that.

You have no idea what the deal on the table is and whether the potential saving is negligible. If another club was keen on him and he was keen on leaving, it's possible we might be willing to forego a transfer fee in return for a greatly reduced pay-off to him.

If that isn't the case, and we're not going to make any saving on him, then I'm quite happy to keep him around. We're not going to release him from his contract with no tangible benefit to us. This is a hypothetical scenario we're discussing.

Your last sentence is a good example of the sunk cost fallacy. The fact is, it doesn't look likely he's going to be required in more than a handful of games this season. If there's an opportunity to make a saving on him now and reinvest in other areas then it makes sense to do so. If not, then we won't.

You say I have ‘no idea’ and then string together a series of presumptions, one dressed up as a ‘fact’ ….

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thankfully Aberdeen have taken on that mantle of signing an army. Them changing rooms at Cormack Park are not the biggest either, I can see that going South, far too many players

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

The point is that those are rare scenarios which probably only affect 1/2 games if any. As you've said, if you built a squad on that basis we'd have a first team squad of 30+ players.

Like I said in the post, we'd be in more trouble if we had a couple of strikers out, or a couple of wingers, or Smith, rather than a couple of CMs.

Agreed. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You say I have ‘no idea’ and then string together a series of presumptions, one dressed up as a ‘fact’ ….

I'll repeat my point again. If we can make a financial saving on McEneff which can be reinvested in other areas of the squad then I'd be happy to let him go. If we can't then I'm not. That statement requires no presumptions and no inside knowledge of any potential deal.

Your statement was that any saving would be "negligible", which either requires inside knowledge of the deal, or for that statement to be universally true. If it were universally true then no players would be released from their contract ever, so it clearly isn't.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Thankfully Aberdeen have taken on that mantle of signing an army. Them changing rooms at Cormack Park are not the biggest either, I can see that going South, far too many players

It’s quite scary how many players they’ve signed and it doesn’t look like stopping anytime soon. 
For instance I think David Bates being rumoured as coming to us made them sign him, his agent did a good job there. 

The loan signings are only either a stop gap to get us to the next transfer window where a permanent signing is being scouted and on the cards OR we sign them as there will maybe a chance that we can get them permanently 

Either way it augers very well for the future. TBH not really sure we need another keeper! Would rather we just focussed on getting another attacker and maybe the CB from Everton. I would say a winger rather than a CF (if it was just the one) Boyce and Gnando are the 2 battling it out for CF. Woodburn could slot in there and also Henderson as a Back up so would rather a winger than a CF 

Jack Torrance
1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Surely Devlin has had his scarf above head pic by now ffs? :laugh:

Today is about FOH. I think it should be tomorrow. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Maybe saving it for this afternoon so he can be the first signing of a fan owned Hearts.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s quite scary how many players they’ve signed and it doesn’t look like stopping anytime soon. 
For instance I think David Bates being rumoured as coming to us made them sign him, his agent did a good job there. 

I think you are correct on Bates. Doubt we fancied signing up to 3 years, but they are, in an attempt to appease/impress/fool their support into believing they are going to be superior.

Our fairly conservative board are going to win out, patience not prudence

3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Squad number on the back i'm predicting number 14 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Jack Torrance said:

Today is about FOH. I think it should be tomorrow. 

I'd happily do both! Neilson did say he didnt want to go until Tuesday on signings not to say they are not being done quietly today with announcements tmrw

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***