***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, King prawn said:

He’s not been given a chance - we’ve barely seen him play. Scored against Celtic and 

We haven't, but the coaching and management team will have seen him lots. 

This seems to be him wanting more game time and us not being able to guarantee it, which seems fair from all sides. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

McEneff such a funny one. Not often jkb quite unanimously agrees on a Ayer but everyone seems to like him, myself included.

Is it simply the change of system has alienated him?

Seen as part of a 3 man mid but not a 2?

I think so. I think the back three is pretty much the way forward (or at least the players in the first XI to form a back 3 if needed) and Neilson likes his front 3 so leaves only two central positions and I think the emphasis on those players being defensive to compensate for the front three not being so. I still think McEneff could do a good job even in the two, but I understand the pairing of Baningime and Haring or the type in Devlin we’re bringing in. From McEneff’s perspective though I think he sees Halliday also ahead of him for one of those two central positions (in Neilson’s pecking order) so is wanting to leave to play. Can’t really argue with team selection at the moment given then results we’ve had, but can’t blame the player for wanting game time either.

indianajones

I also like McEneff and would like to see more of him. 

Couple of more signings and we will have a pretty decent squad depth. 

The way folk are talking you would think the central two mids take absolutely no part in the final third.Look at the games and you'll see Haring pop up in the box numerous times.Mceneff could do this too but unlike Haring he might be deemed unable to do the defensive side as good as Haring.Against united,i was calling for Mceneff to come on and replace Haring After 60 minutes as i thought they were there for the taking.This may have upset the balance of the team though and it's all about opinions.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

McEneff is a victim of circumstance. Other clubs ate tooling up, the perceived lack of cash in the Scottish game, is not the reality. In January probably looked a decent enough signing for the level.

He is also being shown up by young Pollock who has done better than him and already looks a more complete player than McEneff at age 17 I don't get the sympathy.

People were talking about Walker having no impact off the bench against Aberdeen, very much the case for McEneff. If he is good enough he will play, its up to him to work hard and improve or even fit in with what we are doing, certainly nowhere good or important enough that we should looking to shape a team that fits him.

If we can save a wage on him and punt him out to Livi for 6 months to prove his mettle, all good in my book

Jack Torrance
29 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Elvis could be influential here if we are serious about getting him for a year. I still can’t work out if Everton want to keep him - he only has a year left is that right?

That article on Everton's site was from a year ago so maybe the club's view has changed however Rafa was quoted recently as saying he wanted to keep him and would only consider a loan if it was the right club. I think what we're seeing with a few clubs is that managers want to keep players on the books and develop them as they see potential but the money people want them off the books completely. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

That article on Everton's site was from a year ago so maybe the club's view has changed however Rafa was quoted recently as saying he wanted to keep him and would only consider a loan if it was the right club. I think what we're seeing with a few clubs is that managers want to keep players on the books and develop them as they see potential but the money people want them off the books completely. 

The hope there is that the money man comes in and says to Rafa this morning, if you want X in today or tomorrow today to make way for that we need to shed some wages on A B C

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, Four faces said:

The way folk are talking you would think the central two mids take absolutely no part in the final third.Look at the games and you'll see Haring pop up in the box numerous times.Mceneff could do this too but unlike Haring he might be deemed unable to do the defensive side as good as Haring.Against united,i was calling for Mceneff to come on and replace Haring After 60 minutes as i thought they were there for the taking.This may have upset the balance of the team though and it's all about opinions.

Certainly not saying Baningime and Haring don’t get forward, they do. Baningime has had some key passes in the final third and we know Haring can drive. But we also know (Haring’s headers aside) they do lack in an attacking sense as it’s simply not their game. They can’t do the quick link up play and fire at goal like McEneff does. For example I feel (based on little, I know) that Woodburn and McEneff could link up well outside and inside the box, which would allow Boyce to remain a poacher, meaning he doesn’t have to come deep (which is when his weaknesses show). But it’s all about risk and reward I guess.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

I find it odd that we are quoted as putting a bid in for him if Benitez has no intention of loaning him out. I don’t believe everything in the papers but I think this was the Liverpool  Echo. Im sure they have decent sources.

Phil D. Corners

I would want to take a good look at Devlin before loaning McEneff. 

I think McEneff will have a chance to play when we get ‘injury’s and suspensions’ etc. He needs to bid his time. 

I'm not really fussed about McEneff personally. No doubts about his attitude - he looks like a grafter - I just don't think he's good enough and will be filled under "Meh" when we look back. Someone above said he reminds them of Lee and I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head. Actually I'd say Lee was slightly better... 

Yes we paid money for him, but sometimes you just need to cut your losses and move on. It's not a gigantic amount of money for us - his wages won't have cost us much - so I say if someone wants him on a permanent deal, a reasonable five figure sum and he's theirs. 

I'm not sure a loan would do either party any good. He's past that stage where it would be a development loan so I think it would just be about finding a club where he will fit into their style, and is good enough for whatever league they're in, and setting up some sort of loan to buy or loan to permanent deal. EFL L1 is probably about where his ability puts him, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

It is like the West Indies cricketer Carlos Brathwaite that everybody gets the spelling wrong.

Absolutely distraught to hear rumours about macaniff. I had hopes that mcaneff would be a good player for us.

If going on loan, macanaff should go to a prem team up here. It would seem that macneff isn't fitting into our formation.

Either that or Robbie isn't 100% sure how McNeff's name is spelt so doesn't want to embarrass himself by trying to name him on the team sheet....

Absolute Scenes
11 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Absolutely distraught to hear rumours about macaniff. I had hopes that mcaneff would be a good player for us.

If going on loan, macanaff should go to a prem team up here. It would seem that macneff isn't fitting into our formation.

Either that or Robbie isn't 100% sure how McNeff's name is spelt so doesn't want to embarrass himself by trying to name him on the team sheet....

agreed 

feel like Murkanoff needs a good run

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

agreed 

feel like Murkanoff needs a good run

needs to take a name badge and dictionary with him to his next club

BackOfTheNet
13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'm not really fussed about McEneff personally. No doubts about his attitude - he looks like a grafter - I just don't think he's good enough and will be filled under "Meh" when we look back. Someone above said he reminds them of Lee and I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head. Actually I'd say Lee was slightly better... 

Yes we paid money for him, but sometimes you just need to cut your losses and move on. It's not a gigantic amount of money for us - his wages won't have cost us much - so I say if someone wants him on a permanent deal, a reasonable five figure sum and he's theirs. 

I'm not sure a loan would do either party any good. He's past that stage where it would be a development loan so I think it would just be about finding a club where he will fit into their style, and is good enough for whatever league they're in, and setting up some sort of loan to buy or loan to permanent deal. EFL L1 is probably about where his ability puts him, IMO. 

Disagree with the last paragraph. I feel the management team have doubts over his ability at this level, despite having the attributes and as you say right attitude. I think a loan to a St. Johnstone or Motherwell could see him flourish with a run of games. Remember, his games for us have not only not been 90 minutes that often, but also he’s been played out of position (right midfield a lot last season) quite often. If we are unsure about giving him a run of games in his preferred position, let him see what he can do at another Premiership side in the same league and then we have a decision to make when he returns. No harm in that, particularly if the other club pay his wages.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

needs to take a name badge and dictionary with him to his next club

Who, Robbie or Nakamurphoff?

If McEneff is happy to be on the bench for now and wait his chance, and use his energy when called upon, then he should stay. Whilst he can (and needs to) get better, he has also done little wrong in a small number of appearances to suggest he should be ditched.

Surely we need a variety of styles in the midfield and there is a danger we will overload with solid, defensive-minded players in there.

19 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

It's not even hard eh? Just stick to calling him Aron if you're not sure 🙂

I like McEneff  but if him leaving ,either permanently or temporarily , allows us to sign a better player then so be it.

35 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

CBA looking back to see who said Mceneff reminds them of Lee but is it one of the more ridiculous assertions made on here .

13 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

I like McEneff  but if him leaving ,either permanently or temporarily , allows us to sign a better player then so be it.

Thats it in a nutshell for me. I like him but he probably hasn’t taken the limited opportunities he’s had as well as I’d  hoped. Still think there is a place for him in the squad. 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So when’s Branflakes or whatever his name is signing 

He's being signed to give us movement at the back

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

We've got Pollock in the squad for keeps this season. I don't think we'll ever see Pollock and Smith combo in the same first team - too inexperienced - so why not send Smith out on loan? One youngster per section of the pitch makes sense to me - a goalie (Stone), defender (Logan), Midfielder (Pollock) and an attacker but we don't seem to produce strikers anymore.

Edit, the discussion is about McEneff going on loan? Not sure about that. He looks like a decent option for us.

Stone is out on loan at Partick Thistle. 

4 minutes ago, Rods said:

McEneff will be needed when it comes to breaking down stuffy teams at home. I also think that he will be able to cover RWB 

Haring, Halliday and Beni are all going to be suspended at some point so we will need McEneff for cover then too.

35 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It's not even hard eh? Just stick to calling him Aron if you're not sure 🙂

Brilliant! 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

🤣

11 minutes ago, john thomas said:

CBA looking back to see who said Mceneff reminds them of Lee but is it one of the more ridiculous assertions made on here .

Aye calm down lol. McEneff was a direct replacement for Lee. They're very similar players and play the same "number 8" role. McEneff has more pace and more of an engine and seems to prefer to run with the ball whereas Lee preferred to pass it. 

And I don't know where this McEneff to RWB thing has come from. Sounds utterly insane to me and I really can't see how he fits into that role. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Haring, Halliday and Beni are all going to be suspended at some point so we will need McEneff for cover then too.

We've also got Devlin, so unless they all get suspended at the same time, I don't think that's really the case.

We've definitely got other areas where we're lighter than CM (e.g. forward areas, right-wing-back). If strengthening those areas means letting go the 5th choice CM then it makes sense to do so.

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Aye calm down lol. McEneff was a direct replacement for Lee. They're very similar players and play the same "number 8" role. McEneff has more pace and more of an engine and seems to prefer to run with the ball whereas Lee preferred to pass it. 

And I don't know where this McEneff to RWB thing has come from. Sounds utterly insane to me and I really can't see how he fits into that role. 

Agreed about RWB. Loads of folk have moaned that McEneff hasn’t been given a fair run in his preferred position but are now calling for him to be played at RWB. 

7 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Hoping Devlin doesn't become a Vaněček massive hype and excitement. 

From sky

OBAFEMI ESPECTED TO LEAVE SOUTHAMPTON

Michael Obafemi is expected to depart Southampton before the deadline, most likely on loan.

Blackburn have been in talks to sign him but they are not the only club interested.

Fulham and Bournemouth are also reportedly keen on the striker.

Saints will be quiet now in terms of incomings – they are only able to bring in another player on loan – but several of their youngsters could also go out on loan themselves.

Sky Sports News has been told they are not trying to sign Daniel Jebbison from Sheffield United, contrary to reports.

1 minute ago, feej said:

From sky

Michael Obafemi is expected to depart Southampton before the deadline, most likely on loan.

Blackburn have been in talks to sign him but they are not the only club interested.

Saints will be quiet now in terms of incomings – they are only able to bring in another player on loan – but several of their youngsters could also go out on loan themselves.

Sky Sports News has been told they are not trying to sign Daniel Jebbison from Sheffield United, contrary to reports.

?

2 minutes ago, feej said:

From sky

🤞

The word "coup" has been thrown around a lot this window -  but this would be an absolute coup 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, feej said:

From sky

not possible imo 

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

🤞

The word "coup" has been thrown around a lot this window -  but this would be an absolute coup 

They have all been described as 'a bit of a coup' by RN. This one would be a full or whole coup by comparison.

Edited by GinRummy

Just now, GinRummy said:

They have all ben described as 'a bit of a coup' by RN. This one would be a full or whole coup by comparison.

...or even coup-mungously whelm-tastic?

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

First person to photograph Obafemi at Greggs on Gorgie Road is the winner

If he’s in greggs on gorgie road not interested in signing him, gorgie fish bar only!!

4 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

If he’s in greggs on gorgie road not interested in signing him, gorgie fish bar only!!

greggs for rumours, fish bar for signings 

any updates on possibilities for today?

Edited by Gav M

1 minute ago, Gav M said:

greggs for rumours, fish bar for signings 

any updates on possibilities for today?

Was meant to be one up last night, and at tynie today. Morning dedicated to the handover, any news most likely to be later in the afternoon 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

I wholeheartedly 2nd that :)

1 minute ago, Jamboj1 said:

Was meant to be one up last night, and at tynie today. Morning dedicated to the handover, any news most likely to be later in the afternoon 

cheers, watching the video of CG on Instagram has fully stoked my whelks, feel like a bairn at Christmas!

BackOfTheNet

Surely with the other clubs named being interested there’s no real chance? I mean, he can play in the Championship at a club not far from him (Bournemouth) or in London (with Fulham) where he grew up and has family and likely still friends there. He would be playing for sides likely in the promotion chase too. IF we are even in for him I can only imagine the slimmest of chances would be an expectancy at more first team games and a chance to solidify his international place. He wouldn’t necessarily be considered a starter at those Championship clubs, but I can still see him going there before us.

Under the floodlight
23 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

🤞

On yonder Hill, oh wait.

I would like McEneff to stay, always seems to be a clamour to get rid of players who haven't played in last 10 games. Reality is there will be injuries, suspensions, drop in form. And its Robbie's job to have motivated players in the wings ready to come in.  Aberdeen and Hibs both have strong squads, and we should be looking to create the same.  I would be putting Pollock out on loan before McEneff. Trually believe there is a creative forward thinking midfielder in him.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***