• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

A_A wehatethehibs

Yeah some folk forgetting we’ve had 3 from Liverpool, all duds.

So, for that reason, Woodburn looks a good prospect on paper and has done well for Wales. But not about to cream my pants over him, still not made a proper career for himself so Hearts is his chance to show what he’s about. But there’s still every chance young Finlay Pollock ends up the better player. With Woodburn + Beni, that’s 2 ideal competitors for Finlay and all our young players to shadow and reach that level. By the time Pollock turns 18-19-20 he is seeing the level he needs to be at physically and mentally because these guys will most likely leave, he will step in and the demands will be for him to be at that same level. 

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So, for that reason, Woodburn looks a good prospect on paper and has done well for Wales. But not about to cream my pants over him, still not made a proper career for himself so Hearts is his chance to show what he’s about. But there’s still every chance young Finlay Pollock ends up the better player. With Woodburn + Beni, that’s 2 ideal competitors for Finlay and all our young players to shadow and reach that level. By the time Pollock turns 18-19-20 he is seeing the level he needs to be at physically and mentally because these guys will most likely leave, he will step in and the demands will be for him to be at that same level. 

I think that's a sensible view tbf, although  I'd say that Woodburn is a cut above Ngoo and Randall (who I thought was steady enough for us), but I forget who the third player is now? 

Scott Leitch
14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You don't mean Wilson? He was far from a dud.

A_A wehatethehibs
9 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I think that's a sensible view tbf, although  I'd say that Woodburn is a cut above Ngoo and Randall (who I thought was steady enough for us), but I forget who the third player is now? 

I was Mistaken it’s only 2 - Paul mccallum was from West Ham thought he was Liverpool 

Woodburn is a cut above them on paper no doubt about that. But I didn’t rate either of them as good enough for Hearts nowhere near. And his career is rather looking a bit like a Liverpool Harry Cochrane. Burst on the scene then disappeared. So buzzing for him to get the chance to change that script and make a name for himself.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Scott Leitch said:

You don't mean Wilson? He was far from a dud.

no, see above thought mccallum was from Liverpool 

9 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Put Smith to centre back as he can’t cross a ball and is getting on a bit.

Bring in a more natural right wing back and have Logan compete with them. 

Get another centre back in - Halkett is dogshit, Souttar is injury prone and Kingsley is a left back.

Devlin set to come in, Pollock will be loaned out imo. Would still leave us with 5 centre midfielders, wonder if that’s one too many or not. 4 of them more defensive minded too. 

Woodburn in to compete with GMS and Gino + Henderson and Connor Smith to bulk the squad up 

Get another striker in also, too light with just Boyce and Nando.

Big 2 weeks for Savage & co.

I think we will persevere with Smith at RWB this season. Although he hasn't been too good so far. 

We need a new CB to replace Halkett definitely

Kingsley has been outstanding at CB though. And gives us the option of playing out from the back as he is so good on the ball. 

Think him & Cochrane have both been very good on the left. 

Pollock will stay with the 1st team I'm sure. They seem to have a plan for him here

With Woodburn to compete with the wingers we are in a good place then. 

Another forward would be good but may need to shift others out (Roberts, Walker) 

Saw we were vaguely linked with Guy Melamed who left St Johnstone. 

Would be a good one as he can cover all across the front 3 well

Scott Leitch
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

no, see above thought mccallum was from Liverpool 

Ah right get you. McCallum was horrific!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A window to test patience, but thus far patience has been rewarded. Getting late on now for integration prior to Sunday, would think we would be reasonably happy now to have all new players, integrated and settled for the derby with the international break now only 9 days away

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

2 duds, 1 captain to be fair!

This is a world away, YMW's a known, quality player. I can honestly say I've seen him, been very impressed, and never thought for a second he was in our league as a potential signing.

He might well be disappointing, you never know, but this is a signing with genuine pedigree.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This is a world away, YMW's a known, quality player. I can honestly say I've seen him, been very impressed, and never thought for a second he was in our league as a potential signing.

He might well be disappointing, you never know, but this is a signing with genuine pedigree.

YMW... sorry a bit lost here. Are you referring to Woodburn mate?

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

I think Smith has suddenly lost a bit physicality. Not that he really was that type in nature but it looks glaring to me.  He can do his usual stop gap job at CH but I personally wouldn’t like to see it on a weekly basis. 

Imo, it’s getting to the stage we need more energy and quality on the right side. He’s easy beat one on one aswell. 

You think Smith lacks energy ?

jamboinglasgow

based on no inside information, got a sneaking suspicion there will be a signing announced next day or two that has not been mentioned on here. 

But its mad that it looks like we have two players signed and due to be here before the end of the window but we dont know when they are going to be here. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

based on no inside information, got a sneaking suspicion there will be a signing announced next day or two that has not been mentioned on here. 

But its mad that it looks like we have two players signed and due to be here before the end of the window but we dont know when they are going to be here. 

...you could add the woman's manager to that list also!

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

...you could add the woman's manager to that list also!

Not any more, according to the women's team thread she arrives tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Not any more, according to the women's team thread she arrives tomorrow.

🥰😍😘👍.... the 'thumbs up' is for you Jamboinglasgow (just in case you were wondering.)

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Heartsofgold
10 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

YMW... sorry a bit lost here. Are you referring to Woodburn mate?

It's an old shout out to the 'village' mentality out that part of Midlothian.  YMW - Young Mental Widdie (as in Woodburn).

Edited by Heartsofgold

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

🥰😍😘👍.... the 'thumbs up' is for you Jamboinglasgow (just in case you were wondering.)

no worries, was about to issue the restraining order there.

though just re-read the thread and her arriving tomorrow had "apparently" in front of it, so could end up not happening. 

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Per above, was mistaken. Wasn’t talking about Wilson.

When did you see Woodburn?

Your only as good as your last club in my opinion. He got just 3 starts at Blackpool and was not retained last January sent back to Liverpool. Covid was a supposed reason, but whatever the reason, performance levels were not there, he was no use to them. I’m not saying that’s an alarm bell, it could be we catch him at the right time to reignite his spark. It could also be he’s not as good as Pollock. 

One things for sure Neilson said he wanted to get the average age down and he’s backed that up resoundingly. Delighted with the profiles of young players we’ve brought in.

3 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

It's an old shout out to the 'village' mentality out that part of Midlothian.  YMW - Young Mental Widdie (as in Woodburn).

🤣🤣 ...now it all makes sense! :ermm:

The Old Tolbooth
51 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I was Mistaken it’s only 2 - Paul mccallum was from West Ham thought he was Liverpool 

Woodburn is a cut above them on paper no doubt about that. But I didn’t rate either of them as good enough for Hearts nowhere near. And his career is rather looking a bit like a Liverpool Harry Cochrane. Burst on the scene then disappeared. So buzzing for him to get the chance to change that script and make a name for himself.

10 caps for Wales and their manager rates him highly, they've got a better squad than Scotland right now, I reckon Woodburn would be a cracking signing, but then Joey Barton and Shane Duffy were massive flops in Scotland and came with a better pedigree, so you never know, any loan deal is a gamble. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Per above, was mistaken. Wasn’t talking about Wilson.

When did you see Woodburn?

Your only as good as your last club in my opinion. He got just 3 starts at Blackpool and was not retained last January sent back to Liverpool. Covid was a supposed reason, but whatever the reason, performance levels were not there, he was no use to them. I’m not saying that’s an alarm bell, it could be we catch him at the right time to reignite his spark. It could also be he’s not as good as Pollock. 

One things for sure Neilson said he wanted to get the average age down and he’s backed that up resoundingly. Delighted with the profiles of young players we’ve brought in.

He must have had a dozen caps for Wales now, I've seen him a few times. His debut springs to mind though, when he came off the bench to score a worldy winner against Austria in a world cup qualifier.

Ngoo, Randall - they were nobodies by comparison.

jamboinglasgow
45 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I do think it sensible not to expect the world from Woodburn as it could end up failing. Though I would argue the three Liverpool loans we have had (I know your 3 accidently had McCallum as one but just looking at the liverpool loans) I think they go from underwhelming with Ngoo (though he still got almost 1 in 3 goal ratio,) average with Randall who did a job at right back but was not amazing, to Wilson who had been a great loan signing.

One thing I notice in these loans is the number of senior competitive games they played before coming to us. Ngoo had none, Randall had 9 games, Wilson had 42 games (and previous experience of Scottish football.) Woodburn has 48 games (58 if you include international first team games., though you would add another 5 to Wilson's games as well.) As I say it could end up failing but I dont think you can use past players on loan as saying this one will most likely fail.

Is it just me, or do we not really need a LCB any more, and actually its an RCB or RB that we need? 

Kingsley and Cochrane have done well at LCB and LB respectively, and I wouldn't really want to see either of them dropped. I would however drop and replace Halkett if given the chance - either by signing a new RCB and keeping Smith at RB, or moving Smith to RCB and signing a new RB. 

It seems like we're in a sort of Scotland team situation, where we have two very good left backs in Robbo and Tierney (in our case SK and AC) and have shifted Tierney (SK) inside left to create a place for him, but then he's done really well and sort of made the position his own? 

The_razors_edge
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He must have had a dozen caps for Wales now, I've seen him a few times. His debut springs to mind though, when he came off the bench to score a worldy winner against Austria in a world cup qualifier.

Great first touch and good strike. More impressive though is the Welsh national anthem in this clip. Sent shivers down my spine listening to that. 

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That’s 4 years ago mate. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
16 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Is it just me, or do we not really need a LCB any more, and actually its an RCB or RB that we need? 

Kingsley and Cochrane have done well at LCB and LB respectively, and I wouldn't really want to see either of them dropped. I would however drop and replace Halkett if given the chance - either by signing a new RCB and keeping Smith at RB, or moving Smith to RCB and signing a new RB. 

It seems like we're in a sort of Scotland team situation, where we have two very good left backs in Robbo and Tierney (in our case SK and AC) and have shifted Tierney (SK) inside left to create a place for him, but then he's done really well and sort of made the position his own? 

I agree other than I think RCB is the best position for Souttar.

I am personally more keen on a replacement for Halkett  than Kingsley who I don’t think has put much of a foot wrong and seems to have a good partnership with Cochrane.

And whilst I am not as down beat as some about smith that position could be improved with a more technically able attacking RWB.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I would say the problem with having Smith at RCB is the same as him being at RWB, he has no quality going forward. Souttar is playing there so he can go forward with the ball, Smith would need to replace Halkett in the middle and give the ball to Kingsley or Souttar to pass it forward. 
But if we sign a RB and a CH is there a place for Smith in a three or a four? 
I think we will end up signing someone who can play both RWB&CH like Kingsley and Cochrane. 

15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We need a commanding centre back to play in the middle of the 3 to replace Halkett, that's always been the case imo. Keep Souttar on the right of back 3 as that role is perfect for him. 

We need a more attacking RWB. 

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m going to try some reverse psychology and say today is NOT going to be the day and see what happens…

A bold move, let's see if it pays off👀

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

A physical dominator to play in between Souttar and Kingsley would suit me. I think Kingsley has done ok there though still early days. Katic would be absolutely ideal to be honest, huge upgrade from Halkett but just can’t see us getting him. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That’s 4 years ago mate. 

How does that change anything I've said? Ngoo and Randall were nobodies in comparison, I've heard of this guy, seen him, and thought he looked excellent.

I also have no idea how it'll turn out.

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That’s 4 years ago mate. 

Did you not watch the highlights from the recent game against Osasuna

Lord Beni of Gorgie

So Klopp, doesnt want to let him go just yet, he could be of value to a Champions League winning squad for a wee while yet, but he is a gamble

🤷‍♂️

Ive got a variety of pure white animals from mice, rabbits, wee birds and more. Ill get ready to start performing some sort of dark magic ritual sacrafice stuff to conjure us up as decent centre back

15 minutes ago, Phage said:

Ive got a variety of pure white animals from mice, rabbits, wee birds and more. Ill get ready to start performing some sort of dark magic ritual sacrafice stuff to conjure us up as decent centre back

😲

...make sure he's commanding... as in, wins every header!... if possible.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

So Klopp, doesnt want to let him go just yet, he could be of value to a Champions League winning squad for a wee while yet, but he is a gamble

🤷‍♂️

Bloke is playing with boys careers as a protest statement, if he truly rated him he would be no where near speaking to Hearts about a loan. 

1 minute ago, Jambo92 said:

Bloke is playing with boys careers as a protest statement, if he truly rated him he would be no where near speaking to Hearts about a loan. 

Apparently it's Liverpool's assistant coach also - 

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/klopp-lijnders-liverpool-figures-irked-ben-woodburn-transfer-report

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I believe he is signing but we want to unveil him with Joel Eskbank and Darren Mayfield 

Would make a great mid(lothian)field trio😖😂🇱🇻

16 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Or Hibs. 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Got to say I never thought I’d see the day a Liverpool manager would be stopping a player from making a move he wants to us 😂 

See this: 

22 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

The boy is not making it into Liverpool’s team, Klopp is just using this to have a pop at the owners for not signing anyone in that area while Man City, Chelsea and Man United have all spent big. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

21 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Got to say I never thought I’d see the day a Liverpool manager would be stopping a player from making a move he wants to us 😂 

I think its got to do more with Shaqiri and Origi - Liverpool don't look like they will be bringing in any replacement for these two and Woodburn is back in the match day squad, If they stay and don't move then I can see Woodburn deal getting done. It will be a loan until Jan then evaluate and either recall or stay till end of the season.

I can't see Woodburn getting any game time at Liverpool even coming of the bench. Liverpool's squad is so thin but I can't see him breaking into that 11.  Unless the involvement back in the first team is the chance to put him in the shop window. 

Edited by Stu_HMFC

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

See this: 

The boy is not making it into Liverpool’s team, Klopp is just using this to have a pop at the owners for not signing anyone in that area while Man City, Chelsea and Man United have all spent big. 

The evidence shows otherwise. He was in Liverpools most recent team.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.55.07.png

Hammerofthehibs
42 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

🤷‍♂️

Could there be a steal by Gerard? He’s been saying they are in the process of signing a midfielder- what else would stop klopp sanctioning the move?

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Dayman said:

The evidence shows otherwise. He was in Liverpools most recent team.

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.55.07.png

No he wasn’t. He was on the bench.

Klopps point he’s making is about the thinness of their squad. All parties know that if they got injuries necessitating Woodburn getting in the pitch, they will fall to probably 8th in the table. All parties know that. 

He is demanding signings. 3 or 4 of them.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***