***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Glamorgan Jambo

Suspect Uche's agent is at it. He was 'linked' with cardiff last week. he's at the right club for his style of play anyway.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Saw that.

On the back of potentially losing Campbell to Luton who offered 3x what we could, it is frustrating when we are getting blown out of the water by a league that rates someone like Uche highly enough to be sought after by clubs with Premiership aspirations.

The Championship can be exciting because of the variety but it is still a diddy league on many levels.

Nah, don’t buy it. I’ve said before if you take Sheffield Wednesday who went down or Derby who stayed up by one goal and plop them in the Scottish Premiership they are challenging for the league, at least 3rd place. We like to talk a big game up here but the reality doesn’t match it. A lot of that is down to quality of coaching to be honest. As for Uche, was a bit surprised he got a move to the Championship but after how he has performed I’m not in the slightest bit surprised if Championship clubs are after him.

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be a good move for him. He done quite well at Wycombe by all accounts and was involved in (scored or assisted) about a dozen goals. Not too bad for the team that ended up going down. 

I think (and I know others say otherwise) a big problem he faced up in Scotland is that referees always give the benefit of the doubt to the defender over a big strong attacker, even if the defender has their arm around the attackers throat. Uche could not adapt to that and it meant he struggled to make an impact. In England the referees allow more physicality from attackers so he thrives in that.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Nah, don’t buy it. I’ve said before if you take Sheffield Wednesday who went down or Derby who stayed up by one goal and plop them in the Scottish Premiership they are challenging for the league, at least 3rd place. We like to talk a big game up here but the reality doesn’t match it. A lot of that is down to quality of coaching to be honest. As for Uche, was a bit surprised he got a move to the Championship but after how he has performed I’m not in the slightest bit surprised if Championship clubs are after him.

But that is saying the likes of Sheff Wed are the equivalent of Aberdeen and Hibs - challenging for 3rd place - and that is on the back of a much greater income. They also had Jordan Rhodes and Josh Windass up front last season. They would not concern me.

It is also a league where Grant Hanley is a regular for the champions!

The bit in bold: we do the exact opposite imo

Edited by Nookie Bear

8 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Suspect Uche's agent is at it. He was 'linked' with cardiff last week. he's at the right club for his style of play anyway.

Uche is league 1 level. No way those teams are after him

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Is he quoted as saying that somewhere? 

No proof just what ITK folk are saying, up to you to believe it I suppose. 

26 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

He did miss the fact Ozturk signed 23/6/14 and that season kicks off two weeks earlier than then.

That's because Ozturk didn't sign until the 26th, not that it would contradict any of what I said if he had. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/28042411

And the season kicking off earlier doesn't actually make it any easier to sign players by the middle of June, as I said below.

3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

The problem is, it's not just up to us how early someone signs. 

We haven't signed anyone because the players we've pursued so far are keeping their options open, aren't interested, want too much money, can't sign just now for logistical/contractual reasons, etc. These things are more of a factor in mid-June than they are in mid-July, no matter how early the last season finished or the new season starts. That's particularly true if we actually are targeting quality over quantity.

I've got very little faith in our recruitment process given the last few years, but I'm much more concerned about who we sign rather than when they sign, as much as it would be nice to have a couple in already.

On 04/05/2021 at 17:31, Bluesy1874 said:

I had heard little rumours that Luton Town had offered him something. 

Turns out what I heard was correct then 

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But that is saying the likes of Sheff Wed are the equivalent of Aberdeen and Hibs - challenging for 3rd place - and that is on the back of a much greater income. They also had Jordan Rhodes and Josh Windass up front last season. They would not concern me.

It is also a league where Grant Hanley is a regular for the champions!

The bit in bold: we do the exact opposite imo

I’m not saying that they are equivalent of Aberdeen or Hibs, I’m saying at least 3rd as only Rangers or Celtic would give them a challenge, take those two out and Derby/Sheff Weds win the league no problem. Which was my point. As for the bit in bold, there’s a difference between being self-deprecating and talking down our game. When discussing our league we talk about how crap it is in a self-deprecating way, but as soon as our league is deemed crap in comparison to another we get defensive and call another league (in this case the English Championship) crap. Reality is it isn’t. They have players in that league that wouldn’t even look at Rangers

or Celtic never mind the rest of us, and as I say they invest in quality coaching. Up here, we don’t.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Uche did very well for Wycombe, he would have done better for us had he not become an SFA target. Usually I dont like to indulge in that nonsense, but when the Sheep ganged up on him with Considine and McKenna and he still got the foul given against him it was obvious.

Down there he has not got that worry, his size is an asset not a liability

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Hearts could offer him the same exact probably 10 grand a week Luton offered him,  I would bet my house he would still, if he has real ambition in the game, choose 12th in the championship Luton, as would the lions share of 22 year old players who’ve already had their 4-5 years impressing in the Scottish Premiership, unless he was an absolute dyed in the wool jambo which he isnt. 

What exactly would Allan Campbell gain football wise by adding to his 160 Scottish Premiership games he already got for Motherwell? He has been there done that with this league and is moving on to a higher level. It’s both money and football reasons due to the inherent weakness of Scottish football, that drives the top quality players away, as soon as they’ve impressed that’s them off. 

Folk thinking we’d have got Campbell, it’s like Aberdeen saying they had a chance to get Calum Paterson when he went to Cardiff. ****ing stupid. 

I think you are overestimating the English Championship. 

Of course it's about the money. 

It's always about the money, it's because of the money they are able to hoover up players. 

Doesn't stop quite a few of these Championship clubs being in financial trouble though. 

28 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

200 pages! :jambobanana:

27 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Not long till 201

Things will be different in this new century. 

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think (and I know others say otherwise) a big problem he faced up in Scotland is that referees always give the benefit of the doubt to the defender over a big strong attacker, even if the defender has their arm around the attackers throat. Uche could not adapt to that and it meant he struggled to make an impact. In England the referees allow more physicality from attackers so he thrives in that.

This and the fact that they have coaches down there that know how to play to his strengths and utilise him. At Wycombe they have Akinfenwa so knew how to deal with strength as an asset, but they also played him correctly in their formations. Now I’m not saying he’d fit into any style of play (was clear Stendel’s style did not suit him at all) but for teams looking for certain options it’s no surprise to me he’s been targeted by Championship clubs.

Nookie Bear
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not saying that they are equivalent of Aberdeen or Hibs, I’m saying at least 3rd as only Rangers or Celtic would give them

a challenge, take those two out and Derby/Sheff Weds win the league no problem. Which was my point. As for the bit in bold, there’s a difference between being self-deprecating and talking down our game. When discussing our league we talk about how crap it is in a self-deprecating way, but as soon as our league is deemed crap in comparison to another we get defensive and call another league (in this case the English Championship) crap. Reality is it isn’t. They have players in that league that wouldn’t even look at Rangers

or Celtic never mind the rest of us, and as I say they invest in quality coaching. Up here, we don’t.

I disagree that they would win the league 'no problem'. If a team turned up with Windass, Rhodes and Paterson as their attacking options and Bannan in midfield(as Derby did on the final day of the season) i would not be seeing it as impossible.

The Championship does have a better spread of quality - their Team of the Season is quality although, then again, Grant Hanley is in it 😄 - but there is also an enormous amount of average in the league.

Unfortunately TV money means that proper tinpot clubs like Luton can outbid us 3x !

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This is hardly news, but got a titbit 5 mins ago from Sheep ITK. 

Definitely in case of Ginnelly and perhaps others, Scottish clubs wont sign English players in June due to that months wages being liable.

Seems logical, decent source, mates with former Aberdeen board member. Loans etc wont matter but appears English players not "free" until July 1st is a thing, not sure why you cant do the pre contract announcement myself, sounds like bullshit but trust the chap

john thomas
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Uche did very well for Wycombe, he would have done better for us had he not become an SFA target. Usually I dont like to indulge in that nonsense, but when the Sheep ganged up on him with Considine and McKenna and he still got the foul given against him it was obvious.

Down there he has not got that worry, his size is an asset not a liability

Uche was a bit marmite but I appreciated his effort . Yes he was permanently handicapped by the officials . Well done for pointing out the Aberdeen incident[s] . He should have tried to be a bit more streetsmart but we didn't sign him for his subtlety

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

What's that got to do with it? Never believed we were after those two players doesn't mean that I don't think we need to buy for those positions. Not difficult to understand surely. 

On one hand you think we need a midfielder and a left sided centre half but instantly dismiss the thought that we were interested in a player who is a midfielder and one that is a left sided centre back. 

Curious train of thought. 

Campbell is completely plausible, I'd guess a few clubs were interested in him, Mulgrew I'd doubt but wouldn't completely dismiss the thought as we do need a left sided CB. 

No matter anyway, they're done deals.

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I disagree that they would win the league 'no problem'. If a team turned up with Windass, Rhodes and Paterson as their attacking options and Bannan in midfield(as Derby did on the final day of the season) i would not be seeing it as impossible.

The Championship does have a better spread of quality - their Team of the Season is quality although, then again, Grant Hanley is in it 😄 - but there is also an enormous amount of average in the league.

Unfortunately TV money means that proper tinpot clubs like Luton can outbid us 3x !

Good coaches can make average players play well. Like Steve Clarke did at Kilmarnock. The reason Derby done so badly is because Cocu isn’t a good coach and neither is Rooney. The reason Norwich (and Hanley) play well is because Daniel Farke is a great coach. That’s the major differences between up here and down there.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Turns out what I heard was correct then 

👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Uche was a bit marmite but I appreciated his effort . Yes he was permanently handicapped by the officials . Well done for pointing out the Aberdeen incident[s] . He should have tried to be a bit more streetsmart but we didn't sign him for his subtlety

Having watched a good bit of the Champs, the refs are far more tolerant of that type of battle. Here you get a name. Similar to what I was talking about this morning, size of league, refs only see teams on the odd occasion and dont form biases against players based on familiarity.

I think in the end he was street smart if you like, kept his distance, but that was akin to Samson getting a Number 1

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Definitely in case of Ginnelly and perhaps others, Scottish clubs wont sign English players in June due to that months wages being liable.

Seems logical, decent source, mates with former Aberdeen board member. Loans etc wont matter but appears English players not "free" until July 1st is a thing, not sure why you cant do the pre contract announcement myself, sounds like bullshit but trust the chap

Surely it is worth us paying his last month's wages so that he can join us sooner. What are we talking about...£10k?

I suppose it does not really affect his ability to play but is he allowed to train with us? Is he still on loan?

So many questions 😄

john thomas
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Good coaches can make average players play well. Like Steve Clarke did at Kilmarnock. The reason Derby done so badly is because Cocu isn’t a good coach and neither is Rooney. The reason Norwich (and Hanley) play well is because Daniel Farke is a great coach. That’s the major differences between up here and down there.

I have , often , slagged Hanley off . Not sure if I just didn't watch him properly or he has improved immensely but he was outstanding on Monday

Managers keep picking him , usually a good reason for that

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Surely it is worth us paying his last month's wages so that he can join us sooner. What are we talking about...£10k?

I suppose it does not really affect his ability to play but is he allowed to train with us? Is he still on loan?

So many questions 😄

I know. Mulgrew is at United so confused. Maybe clubs come to arrangements others dont, no idea.

Noticed Motherwell took a reduced comp fee for Campbell, choosing to negotiate a sell on clause instead as an aside. 

500k was never an issue

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

I have , often , slagged Hanley off . Not sure if I just didn't watch him properly or he has improved immensely but he was outstanding on Monday

Slow burner. Improved with age, he was stinking for Scotland first time round, players do improve.

BackOfTheNet

Let’s go back to old random rumours. Like Anthony Gordon of Everton, who “played in the highest level of football in the UK” last season a few times. As well as a spell on loan at Preston (albeit after Savage left). Come on, let’s rehash the names mentioned before for the next 200…

davemclaren
56 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

He did miss the fact Ozturk signed 23/6/14 and that season kicks off two weeks earlier than then.

I heard you the first time. 😄

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Name to watch out for, still musing with my Sheep buddy. Clark Robertson, left sided defender either central or full back. Toured Cormack Park 2 weeks ago, both sides have fallen off the deal, torrent of abuse for the lad on the old Social Media, would make a great drinking buddy for Andy Halliday apparently 😉

19 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

???

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Name to watch out for, still musing with my Sheep buddy. Clark Robertson, left sided defender either central or full back. Toured Cormack Park 2 weeks ago, both sides have fallen off the deal, torrent of abuse for the lad on the old Social Media, would make a great drinking buddy for Andy Halliday apparently 😉

Or about half our squad by the sounds of it…

44 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No proof just what ITK folk are saying, up to you to believe it I suppose. 

The ITK folk! Must be true then. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's utter bull shit the English clubs from the lower league, many who are in mountains of debt can offer bigger contracts than us. 

Luton must have Been on a 90% plus ratio of wages to turnover last season but can still pay development fees and pay more. 

Others are in anything from £10m to almost £100m in debt but still offer more. 

It's ****ing horseshit, almost makes me want to quit following football and follow cricket. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Steady there... no need for rash decisions.

sitting in the sun, drinking all day in amongst thousand of like minded raucous people enjoying plenty of banter.... it'll never catch on :)

Pasquale for King
Just now, PapaShango said:

The ITK folk! Must be true then. 

No real reason to doubt this one. 

22908827-D598-49F7-A4D7-0AD55A10A3E5.jpeg

22 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Must admit never been one of his biggest fans either but he was very good on Monday. He must be doing something right, has had some decent clubs with Newcastle and Norwich. Maybe he has matured with age and experience. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Must admit never been one of his biggest fans either but he was very good on Monday. He must be doing something right, has had some decent clubs with Newcastle and Norwich. Maybe he has matured with age and experience. 

Looked a bit trimmer and showed a turn of pace I didn’t know he had. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Lol did Carla object to having to come back to Aberdeen 🤣 

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

No Taylor for Finland today........where could he be?

You only get to pick 23 from the 26 man squad, so he’s one of the 3 left out

55 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Is that not why there was a delay in us announcing Naismith? Seem to remember this being mentioned before. 

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No Taylor for Finland today........where could he be?

I canny take much more of this thread 😂😂

just put me out my misery. Is he in the Stratford arms as we speak?

Rogue Daddy
20 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

sitting in the sun, drinking all day in amongst thousand of like minded raucous people enjoying plenty of banter.... it'll never catch on :)

Why do the above at a *yawn* cricket match when you can just as easily do it at the golf? I just don't 'get' some people😜

Absolute Scenes

Waiting til July for signings will turn this thread into an apocalyptic hell hole. For folks sanity savage and neilson please just tell us who we are targeting 😂

59 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Sure when we were signing Naismith that the final payment is basically a PFA thing to tide out of contract players over (I know with the money that some are on that it's ridiculous) and by signing even a pre-contract then the players would be giving up their rights to what is essentially a dole payment.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I canny take much more of this thread 😂😂

just put me out my misery. Is he in the Stratford arms as we speak?

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You only get to pick 23 from the 26 man squad, so he’s one of the 3 left out

Top answer is best :) Bodes well that he is 23/26!!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Is that not why there was a delay in us announcing Naismith? Seem to remember this being mentioned before. 

Just now, Ribble said:

Sure when we were signing Naismith that the final payment is basically a PFA thing to tide out of contract players over (I know with the money that some are on that it's ridiculous) and by signing even a pre-contract then the players would be giving up their rights to what is essentially a dole payment.

Yip. Hence no announcement on Ginnelly, yet he is parading freely around the city, I dont think we can without Preston, seems a bit jobsworth

On 06/06/2021 at 16:36, number-16 said:

200 pages before any proper signings? (Ross Stewart and youth players not counting)

Does this make me ITK?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***