***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Indeed.   Me too.      Wonder if Joe decided on that title.... or if SN himself decided that we needed someone who could actually develop and improve players.    Encouraging news. 👍

I think so , utilising something he is passionate about and the professionalism he has , has to be a positive

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah so do I. Sometimes retired players are given any job just to build experenice but its a role that suits what he is passionate about, as he has talked many times before how he enjoys helping young players and guiding them.

Interesting that he talks about getting players first team ready. That implies he won't be working with young players after they get into the first team. 

That would be a shame - I thought in a previous Ann Budge review they identified that the lack of one to one coaching when players get to the first team is part of the problem in their development. 

3 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Another big wage saved 

I was thinking that but felt stupid asking if his player contract would end and he’d now be on different deal. Must be the case I suppose. 

Edited by GinRummy

Just now, GinRummy said:

I was thinking that but felt stupid asking of his player contract would end and he’d now be on different deal. Must be the case I suppose. 

Yes he will be

There’s long been an obvious need to help our promising youth mature into 1st team regulars, hopefully Naismith is the man to address that.

By my reckoning that’s us 12 players* down on the first team squad that finished last campaign. 

*not accounting for Irving and Ginnellly who are tbc at time of writing 

Edited by cocobeab

Another player makes way. 

Delighted Naisy will be continuing in a staff role. Will be great for him and the club. 

A leader of men.

Always showed the right attitude and was the first to take the wage cut last season.

Such a shame how he regressed so rapidly after those injuries in 2019 and I'm glad he's sticking around.

Edited by Le Chat

That'll be a freeing up a fair bit of wages (assuming he'll take a drop in wages for a non-playing role).

Hopefully we put it to good use.

2 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

There’s long been an obvious need to help our promising youth into 1st team regulars, hopefully Naismith is the man to address that.

By my reckoning that’s us 12 players* down on the first team squad that finished last campaign. 

*not accounting for Irving and Ginnellly who are tbc at time of writing 

Doyle, Zlamal, Berra, White, Moore, Frear, Kasteneer, Roberts ?, Cochrane, Lee, Wighton, Naismith. Sure I’ve missed a couple but a big list. 

Naisy and Berra wages alone will save us the best part of 10k a week. So aye, we could get a very good player for that kind of money. 

6 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Another big wage saved 

Is it?

Genuine question, bud.

Perhaps the 4 year deal was a flat rate and switching from playing to coaching doesn't, win bonuses apart, change anything.

I don't know, btw, and applaud Naismith's decision and his new role but I do wonder if anything has changed salary wise.

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Is it?

Genuine question, bud.

Perhaps the 4 year deal was a flat rate and switching from playing to coaching doesn't, win bonuses apart, change anything.

I don't know, btw, and applaud Naismith's decision and his new role but I do wonder if anything has changed salary wise.

No way would we agree to lose a player and 4/5k a week from the budget 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Captain needs to be an outfield player to communicate all over the pitch, Souttar or Smith for me.

Hopefully money saved on Naismith can be used to secure Soapy for a few more years and boost the kitty for new players (remember them? 😀).

Pleased for SN too. Job is ideal for him and gets him on the managerial ladder. 

Neilson will know there's a potential manager in waiting coming up behind him too which should keep him on his toes.

I hope we sign someone who has a bit of nastiness about them. All of our team are too nice and there’s nobody that fans of other teams will dislike. Naismith was the only player we had that had this

Just now, Jamboj1 said:

No way would we agree to lose a player and 4/5k a week from the budget 

Levein gave him the contract; which opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Not having a pop at you, or Naisy. 

However, there was hints/talk/suggestions at the time that the deal may have been elongated beyond his playing days, and into coaching, to accommodate his overall wage demands over a 4 year period.

I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Batistuta87
30 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Another big wage saved 

I have to say he was worth it. Was great having him at the club.

Hopefully another big wage dropping off shortly as well (Damour). 

Haven't heard anything. Just hoping. 

5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I have to say he was worth it. Was great having him at the club.

Hopefully another big wage dropping off shortly as well (Damour). 

Haven't heard anything. Just hoping. 

Be interesting to see what happens with Damour in preseason

39 minutes ago, chrisg8 said:

We signed anyone yet

Yes.  You must try harder to keep up.  We've further boosted our managerial ranks by appointing a Player Development Manager.  51 Scotland caps.

Batistuta87
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Be interesting to see what happens with Damour in preseason

Hopefully we aren't even issuing him new training gear.

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, dtgj said:

Naisy retires from playing:

At last, we've strengthened the squad.

33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Doyle, Zlamal, Berra, White, Moore, Frear, Kasteneer, Roberts ?, Cochrane, Lee, Wighton, Naismith. Sure I’ve missed a couple but a big list. 

My 12.... All of Naismith, Doyle, Moore, Lee, Cochrane, Wighton, Frear, White, Berra, Zlamal, Kastaneer & Logan moved on, let go or moved upstairs. 

Couple of youth players away too. 

50 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

No point giving the arm band to Gordon. Give it to souttar.

Fingers crossed Soutter can manage a full season

3 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

My 12.... All of Naismith, Doyle, Moore, Lee, Cochrane, Wighton, Frear, White, Berra, Zlamal, Kastaneer & Logan moved on, let go or moved upstairs. 

Couple of youth players away too. 

Forgot about Logan.

Does anyone know what’s happening with Roberts. Getting another chance or looking elsewhere?

PhoenixHearts
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Your keypad appears broken, mate.

Read it again. Say what you see. Sound it out.

Under the floodlight
1 minute ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Read it again. Say what you see. Sound it out.

Phoenixately.

58 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Naisy and Berra wages alone will save us the best part of 10k a week. So aye, we could get a very good player for that kind of money. 

Or 5 bang average ones

Knowharrimean? 😀

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Or 5 bang average ones

Knowharrimean? 😀

It'll probably be 5 bang average ones. 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah so do I. Sometimes retired players are given any job just to build experenice but its a role that suits what he is passionate about, as he has talked many times before how he enjoys helping young players and guiding them.

Absolutely, you see it in games he is always giving advice on how the game should be played his legs have maybe  gone but knows the game well.

BackOfTheNet

What was Naismith on? Think I saw somewhere it was £4.5kpw, but I don’t know how accurate that was. Even though we’ll be saving it won’t be the whole amount. He’ll still be on a chunk for what is effectively a Technical Director role. So he may still be on £500-£1k a week at least. Still a saving, but not as much as some might think I would imagine.

Have to say bit sad about Naisy. Correct decision and delighted with his new role but he and we deserved better end to his career than his niggly last couple of seasons

As I say chuffed with decision though. An asset

8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

What was Naismith on? Think I saw somewhere it was £4.5kpw, but I don’t know how accurate that was. Even though we’ll be saving it won’t be the whole amount. He’ll still be on a chunk for what is effectively a Technical Director role. So he may still be on £500-£1k a week at least. Still a saving, but not as much as some might think I would imagine.

I’d imagine the playing budget and staff budget are 2 separate things. 

I could be massively wrong though.

Either way it could be £2-3k a week saved, which is no bad thing. 

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

I’d imagine the playing budget and staff budget are 2 separate things. 

I could be massively wrong though.

Either way it could be £2-3k a week saved, which is no bad thing. 

They will be separate, but the budgets will be decided by the overall income/outgoings. So the club is saving but not as much. The player budget decreases but the staff one has been increased. Just not a full swing from one to the other.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

They will be separate, but the budgets will be decided by the overall income/outgoings. So the club is saving but not as much. The player budget decreases but the staff one has been increased. Just not a full swing from one to the other.

Pretty obvious Tbh, don't think many thought he'd be working for free in his new role. 

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Pretty obvious Tbh, don't think many thought he'd be working for free in his new role. 

Indeed. Many seem to be focusing on the saving of his wage - which I’m sure there will a saving of sorts, but as you say the guy’s not gonna work for free or even a low wage in that new role.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***