***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

jambopilms
13 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Played correctly, I think Greg Stewart is such a clever footballer, he doesn’t need to run. His quality would improve our side greatly especially at Tynecastle where ‘having legs’ is less important than e.g. Celtic Park

The last thing we need is less legs in the team. We were the oldest team in the league and it showed a number of times.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

17 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Played correctly, I think Greg Stewart is such a clever footballer, he doesn’t need to run. His quality would improve our side greatly especially at Tynecastle where ‘having legs’ is less important than e.g. Celtic Park

This is exactly how Craig Levein described Steven McLean when he signed him.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

He is a good player and better than a few that we have but as it’s been said we need younger more dynamic players. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. 

Louis Moult is set to disappoint Motherwell by signing for Burton Albion.

The Steelmen were keen on landing their former striker.

Graham Alexander confirmed his interest but the 29-year-old is to remain in England.

Moult has agreed a deal with Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s English League One side.

He will make the switch when his Preston deal expires at the end of the month.

Moult had three successful years at Fir Park before he left in 2018.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Graham Alexander confirmed his interest but the 29-year-old is to remain in England.

Thank goodness, we don’t need anymore old crocks who haven't kicked a ball in two years. 

7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Transfer window officially open tomorrow 

I think we'll get a player or two announced this week. 

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not for an individual but collectively it’s not where I want us to be. The squad lacks legs, not all down to age but partly is. We often looked tired in the second half of games the season before last, while our opponents didn’t.

The club has to start building something. They keep talking about youth and the future. The last 5 years have seen numerous rebuilds and huge expense for little reward. If we sign players at 31 it’ll just be more of the same. If the players aren’t coming through the academy then sign players who at least have a chance of being here for a few seasons AND improve during their stay. I’d sooner take a chance on a 21 year old than play safe and sign a 31 year old

Yup. I think between Boyce, GMS, Naismith, Walker and Gnando there is enough experience in our forward line. 

We need youth, we need to be ambitious with our signings, we need players that are hungry to achieve. I don’t think Greg Stewart would be a good signing. Especially for what he’d want coupled with the fact that he’s not sellable and cannot improve. 

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

We all have our opinions and you are perfect;y entitled to yours. I just don't happen to agree with you but then hopefully we won't get the chance to prove which one of us is correct.😍

56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He is a good player and better than a few that we have but as it’s been said we need younger more dynamic players. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. 

This.

1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Young, hungry, ambitious, physical, athletic, winners who hate losing. That’s what Savage & Neilson should be looking for. Players between 21 to 25 who are capable of playing in the Premiership. And if they can’t find players with these qualities to play for the greatest club in Scotland they shouldn’t bother signing players who are not up to putting in a challenge for all of Scotland’s honours. I’m sick of excuses from Managers, Owners AND fans why we can’t do this and that let’s make sure this Hearts team gets a backbone this coming season and if the management or players can’t do a job for Hearts our support has to let them know that we won’t accept failure. It’s time we started winning regularly in Glasgow and making a name for Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Never enter a competition unless you intend to win it.

We think alike mate.

5 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Young, hungry, ambitious, physical, athletic, winners who hate losing. That’s what Savage & Neilson should be looking for. Players between 21 to 25 who are capable of playing in the Premiership. And if they can’t find players with these qualities to play for the greatest club in Scotland they shouldn’t bother signing players who are not up to putting in a challenge for all of Scotland’s honours. I’m sick of excuses from Managers, Owners AND fans why we can’t do this and that let’s make sure this Hearts team gets a backbone this coming season and if the management or players can’t do a job for Hearts our support has to let them know that we won’t accept failure. It’s time we started winning regularly in Glasgow and making a name for Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Never enter a competition unless you intend to win it.

This. 

Players like Greg Docherty, Lewis Ferguson, Ali mccann and Allan Campbell is the level we should be targeting.

The signs of a good player normally seem to be there early but we always seem to wait until they are overpriced or signing for the OF etc

2 hours ago, jamb-oz said:

This. 

Players like Greg Docherty, Lewis Ferguson, Ali mccann and Allan Campbell is the level we should be targeting.

The signs of a good player normally seem to be there early but we always seem to wait until they are overpriced or signing for the OF etc

100 % mate. Too many punts by our former coaches and DoF, while Hibs, Aberdeen and clubs down south pick up all the best talent coming through. Jefferies made most of his best signings this way, don't know why we have not followed this model in the last few years.

9 hours ago, Gmcjambo said:

Agree but it’s more than that.  Our transfer policy should be about creating value for the club, buying players that deliver on the park but that we can develop and sell on.   We seem to have gone for ageing pros that we could never have afforded until they reach the twilight of their career or taken punts on players that we could only afford because they are recovering from injuries.   I’d like to see us bringing in hungry players of a good age, with potential to develop further and provide us with the opportunity for serious sell on fees if they move to England or abroad.  Surely that is a much better policy. 

Absolutely. The club through RN and JS has said much the same thing in a roundabout kind of way so here’s hoping they deliver. 

2 hours ago, jamb-oz said:

This. 

This is the big issue. They’ve talked about youth for years, that should include taking players away from lesser clubs when they are 17-20 years old. Spend money on that rather than seasoned pros and I for one would be more patient with any manager. 

A_A wehatethehibs
9 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We’re gonna need a bigger wage bill 

A_A wehatethehibs
3 hours ago, jamb-oz said:

This. 

I take it you mean, that’s the level we should be targeting when they were youth players before they made names for themselves? Or, you’re not comically suggesting we offer Aberdeen £200k for Lewis Ferguson or something? Giving Allan Campbell the 7-8 grand a week which he’ll get comfortably from the likes of Fulham? To be fair, on a free, that ones not totally out of the question given the amount of players we’ve emptied, but it’d be gambling basically, gambling on selling him on in a year for a million or 2. What if he doesn’t perform or gets injured? Then we’re ****ed financially. And we’d have to stick with Halks at Center half as well because the budgets blown….

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

BackOfTheNet

Not sure how to read McKinlay’s comments on transfers here (last two paragraphs) where he says he’s “pretty confident” we’ll see signings soon as we start training next week. On one hand you’d think he should know so that means we are, but on the other hand the context of what he says and the wording he uses could be read as transfers are m not his remit but from what he hears from Savage he should be expecting something, but is actually none the wiser.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/andrew-mckinlay-speaks-on-imminent-new-signings-at-hearts-and-insists-he-is-not-hiding-from-fans-3266017?amp

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We’re gonna need a bigger wage bill 

You mean to try and win the league? 

The rest of his post made sense. Less players and less cash spent on brining in experience is the way forward for us imo.

32 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Not sure how to read McKinlay’s comments on transfers here (last two paragraphs) where he says he’s “pretty confident” we’ll see signings soon as we start training next week. On one hand you’d think he should know so that means we are, but on the other hand the context of what he says and the wording he uses could be read as transfers are m not his remit but from what he hears from Savage he should be expecting something, but is actually none the wiser.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/andrew-mckinlay-speaks-on-imminent-new-signings-at-hearts-and-insists-he-is-not-hiding-from-fans-3266017?amp

So you’d rather have him tell us we are definitely signing this player and then when it falls through jump on him for being wrong. Personally, I’d rather wait until it’s signed and sealed. We are impatient as fans but he and others involved can’t be, if we want to get the players we want. Muy  tranquillo muchacho 

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

So you’d rather have him tell us we are definitely signing this player and then when it falls through jump on him for being wrong. Personally, I’d rather wait until it’s signed and sealed. We are impatient as fans but he and others involved can’t be, if we want to get the players we want. Muy  tranquillo muchacho 

No need to be unnecessarily combative. I realise it’s the Internet, but it’s not a necessity. I’m posing a question really, as I genuinely don’t know how to read it. Does he know and is keeping tight lipped because as you say things can fall through, or does not know as that’s Savage’s side of the business but is hoping we’ll have someone in. My point is if you read the quotes from him you can read it both ways and I genuinely don’t know which one it is.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not for an individual but collectively it’s not where I want us to be. The squad lacks legs, not all down to age but partly is. We often looked tired in the second half of games the season before last, while our opponents didn’t.

The club has to start building something. They keep talking about youth and the future. The last 5 years have seen numerous rebuilds and huge expense for little reward. If we sign players at 31 it’ll just be more of the same. If the players aren’t coming through the academy then sign players who at least have a chance of being here for a few seasons AND improve during their stay. I’d sooner take a chance on a 21 year old than play safe and sign a 31 year old

I agree that some more youthful players would be better, but I disagree with your second half comment. 

In the last half of the season starting games slow and not scoring in the first half was a big concern. It was discussed many time on here 

The 2nd half generally bailed us out.

I'd like a good player at 23-27 instead of a good player at 31, the problem with that is other clubs do as well, we do need more of a mix tho. 

Nookie Bear
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

No need to be unnecessarily combative. I realise it’s the Internet, but it’s not a necessity. I’m posing a question really, as I genuinely don’t know how to read it. Does he know and is keeping tight lipped because as you say things can fall through, or does not know as that’s Savage’s side of the business but is hoping we’ll have someone in. My point is if you read the quotes from him you can read it both ways and I genuinely don’t know which one it is.

I read it as: he is a Chief Exec who is well versed in giving out the positive messages without actually saying much. 

We will sign players, that much is guaranteed, it’s just the quality that’s the issue.

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, sadj said:

Tuesday third kit

wednesday away kit

thursday home kit

fri signings in said home kit

And on sat/sun we thrilled. 

Bazzas right boot

JKB playing catch up, seen already discussed 

Edited by Smith's right boot

49 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don't think there's any conjecture in what he says.   Savage is in charge of recruitment but ultimately reports to McKinlay.  When a player has been identified and a deal struck it will be McKinlay's signature on the paper work.  The main thing is that he has acknowleged and confirmed we need signings.  

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Not only that…. The misleading ‘imminent new signings’ headline suggests something about to happen.  But he’s ‘pretty confident’… actually, it’s about par for the course from an EEN ‘article’. 

Clark Griswold
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Greg Stewart released. 

Probably end up at the likes of Dundee / Motherwell and be thier PoY. 

Yep this was discussed at the top of this very page 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Clark Griswold said:

Yep this was discussed at the top of this very page 

Yeah deleted comment, it wasn't showing before. It is now. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Greg Stewart is just Jamie Walker Mk. II. 

Agree, I'd be more interested in Jones if he was available. 

9 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Thank god as he’d be on the sidelines more than he’d play 

According to an ITK poster he’d already signed for us back in January as well 

15 hours ago, sadj said:

Tuesday third kit

wednesday away kit

thursday home kit

fri signings in said home kit

craig david 1 distracttv.com - Distract

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree that some more youthful players would be better, but I disagree with your second half comment. 

In the last half of the season starting games slow and not scoring in the first half was a big concern. It was discussed many time on here 

The 2nd half generally bailed us out.

I'd like a good player at 23-27 instead of a good player at 31, the problem with that is other clubs do as well, we do need more of a mix tho. 

Sorry, wasn't very clear, I was talking about the previous season. The relevance being that was the same league we will be in next year. I agree, last seasons second halfs did bail us out.

Batistuta87
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thank goodness, we don’t need anymore old crocks who haven't kicked a ball in two years. 

Been saying for ages that Moult and his wife have just finished the lengthy refurbishment of their "dream home" near Cheshire - took them about 2yrs - so didn't think there was any way he'd be giving that up to move up here whether that was for us Motherwell or someone else. Burton Albion isn't far away from where he lives so it makes sense if that's where he's going. And anyway he hasn't kicked a ball since knackering his knee last year, so who knows what we'd be getting into. No thank you!

Edited by Batistuta87

Batistuta87
52 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agree, I'd be more interested in Jones if he was available. 

I'd love to sign Jones. And Hastie, for that matter.

GMS + Ginnelly + Jones + Hastie = :smugger: 

Rogue Daddy
22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Excuse my ignorance... which Jones is it you're talking about?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

Jordan 

cosanostra
24 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Those 2 would be great.

I'd instantly be happier about this new season.

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Boyce as the spearhead. 

Fully fit Pete protecting the defence of Souttar and Dunne. 

:clumshot:

will-i-am-a-jambo
15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Corporal! Don't panic. .....

11 hours ago, Barack said:

"Doesn't need to run."

Pretty much the main requirement of any footballer anywhere, at any level, on the planet.

Jesus wept.

This. 

So are we expecting the other 9 outfield players to cover his miles as well? Sure that will work well. 

Absolutely bizarre attitude to have :rofl: if you have to cover for a player by saying aye but he doesn't need to run because he's intelligent I think it's safe to say he won't be a good signing.

Batistuta87
10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Boyce as the spearhead. 

Fully fit Pete protecting the defence of Souttar and Dunne. 

:clumshot:

Now we're talking!

Add in a decent 18 yard box subersub striker and gie us the Scottish Cup now!! :D 

Edited by Batistuta87

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its not being able to run that got us relegated. 

Has to be younger players, but we have to be targeting and capturing long before they get to the point that Campbell, McCann and Ferguson have reached. Realistically they are going to cost and unless we are feeling very benefactorial, then we will struggle to make the offers these players know they can get elsewhere

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its not being able to run that got us relegated. 

Has to be younger players, but we have to be targeting and capturing long before they get to the point that Campbell, McCann and Ferguson have reached. Realistically they are going to cost and unless we are feeling very benefactorial, then we will struggle to make the offers these players know they can get elsewhere

This is bang on.

BackOfTheNet
6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Best not to analyse too deeply these interviews is my way of thinking. 

I'm sure things are progressing on the transfer front. Just a wee bit of patience required.

:waiting:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

This is bang on.

I believe its been our greatest failure for way too long. Bobby Burns was probably the best attempt to get such a player, but obviously that one didn't go too well, nice lad though.

We did get Souttar though, Danny Wilson was not a bad signing at that point in time

Edited by Sir Gio

Tommy Brown
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Best not to analyse too deeply these interviews is my way of thinking. 

I'm sure things are progressing on the transfer front. Just a wee bit of patience required.

This exactly Johno

The old days of newspapers, you had one report per day and an evening  tv update.

Now internet has made everyone demanding updates every 5 minutes.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***