• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

21 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

27k a week Bannan apparently wants to stay at Shef Wed. Can't think why tbh.  

Absolute cracking night out in Sheffield to be fair. Viper rooms offft

29 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's a mystery.... 

Toyah might get her baps out for wee Barry if he joins Hearts. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, jambonian said:

Well, they need to find it from somewhere. I'd rather we invested something like £300k on a player in his early 20s and making a profit sometime down the line with a future transfer fee. If not then expect mid-table obscurity at best for the future with duds, has-beens and never-will-be's. Speculate to accumulate.

When has speculate to accumulate ever worked for us (or any team our size on a regular basis)? When have we ever paid a large fee for a player and got an even larger fee back after a few years since Bosman and since TV money poured into the English game? We couldn't even do it under Romanov.

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

If Savage or Neilson ask him to watch a player, and he does. He then prepares a report on the player, detailing pros and cons and whether or not the club should move for the player and they then do the opposite tell me the point of the exercise? What’s the point of him being employed more to the point.

I have done SFA & English FA courses through the lockdown period on becoming a scout as it does interest me a lot and the above is common practice in preparing reports on players and I’m well aware they don’t do the hiring, they do the watching and recommending, what you’re saying is completely irrelevant.

Ever heard of a manager getting views from various different people re a potential signing? Then maybe even him and his assistant going along to take a look at the player? 

if you believe John Murray had the final say on whether we signed a player or not then sorry - I’m not wasting any more time trying to convince you otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

When has speculate to accumulate ever worked for us (or any team our size on a regular basis)? When have we ever paid a large fee for a player and got an even larger fee back after a few years since Bosman and since TV money poured into the English game? We couldn't even do it under Romanov.

Bit different but Vlad gave Craig Gordon a new deal and quadrupled his wages. We (Vlad) got almost £10m 6 months later. 

Guest ToqueJambo
16 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

A Blackpool bench warmer, how stellar 

How so? He had 37 games for them last season. Paul Hartley was a Hibs reject. We signed John Souttar from D Utd reserves. Osman Sow and Steven Kingsley didn't even have clubs when we signed them. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, DS98 said:

Bit different but Vlad gave Craig Gordon a new deal and quadrupled his wages. We (Vlad) got almost £10m 6 months later. 

He did yes. Do you think we should be paying players 10k a week again?

Guest ToqueJambo

I hope we sign a maverick. We haven't had one for a while. Osman Sow was the last who could fit that description maybe? Before him Suso? GMS could fit the bill if he gets his mojo back. There's been a blandness about the squad in recent years.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He did yes. Do you think we should be paying players 10k a week again?

If we unearthed another CG? Absolutely. And it was more like £20k. 

In reality, no. I was just thinking of the question regarding speculating to accumulate. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It may be a day closer to a signing its also a day closer to death

😬

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

If we unearthed another CG? Absolutely. And it was more like £20k. 

In reality, no. I was just thinking of the question regarding speculating to accumulate. 

Paying transfer fees is different. Not sure Romanov made much if anything from buying low and selling high. He offered big wages to sign good players for free, and some we did get money for, and paid fees for poor players like Makela and Besja who we got zero return on.

Edited by ToqueJambo

18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Ever heard of a manager getting views from various different people re a potential signing? Then maybe even him and his assistant going along to take a look at the player? 

if you believe John Murray had the final say on whether we signed a player or not then sorry - I’m not wasting any more time trying to convince you otherwise. 

He definitely doesn't. He's just a yes man. That's how he's still here. 

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

It may be a day closer to a signing its also a day closer to death

😬

🧐👎

14 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

He definitely doesn't. He's just a yes man. That's how he's still here. 

Don’t think he is but it’s a mystery to me  as to why he is still there. Led to believe there’s more than a few where he recommended sign or don’t sign and the opposite decision was taken. Vanacek being the most blatant one. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I hope we sign a maverick. We haven't had one for a while. Osman Sow was the last who could fit that description maybe? Before him Suso? GMS could fit the bill if he gets his mojo back. There's been a blandness about the squad in recent years.

A maverick? They all fit under the same category, footballers 

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Not all of our signings in recent years have fallen into the footballer category to be fair

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Not all of our signings in recent years have fallen into the footballer category to be fair

*Must not say anything they all read Kickback or Twitter 

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I can confidently predict we are now one day closer to a new signing than we were this time yesterday. 👍

And you expect us to believe that?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

A maverick player is more of an entertainer. You don't know what he'll do next. Calum Paterson maybe falls into that category too, more for his personality than the way he played. They do their own thing basically. Capable of moments of brilliance. Not that many of them about these days mind you. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A maverick player is more of an entertainer. You don't know what he'll do next. Calum Paterson maybe falls into that category too, more for his personality than the way he played. They do their own thing basically. Capable of moments of brilliance. Not that many of them about these days mind you. 

Cumdog? 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Des Lynam said:

Cumdog? 

No. He's like someone trying to be a maverick. True mavericks just are. They don't need to throw TVs out of windows or get joker tattoos on their hands to prove their maverick status. And when did he ever come up with a moment of brilliance or skill? He just scores bog standard goals.

I just picture Callum Paterson in a list of the great footballing mavericks……

Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh, George Best, Callum Paterson, Charlie George, Eric Cantona……

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No. He's like someone trying to be a maverick. True mavericks just are. They don't need to throw TVs out of windows or get joker tattoos on their hands to prove their maverick status. And when did he ever come up with a moment of brilliance or skill? He just scores bog standard goals.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I just picture Callum Paterson in a list of the great footballing mavericks……

Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh, George Best, Callum Paterson, Charlie George, Eric Cantona……

He definitely meets the criteria of never quite knowing what he'll do next. Not quite at that level though.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He definitely meets the criteria of never quite knowing what he'll do next. Not quite at that level though.

Callum Paterson is as much in the maverick category as I am.

Campbell linked with Peterborough

(Image: SNS Group)

Allan Campbell is a summer target for a number of Championship sides, according to a report. 

The former Motherwell midfielder left Fir Park at the end of his contract and the Peterborough Telegraph claim that Peterborough United are among the potential suitors. 

The 22-year-old is also on the radar of Fulham, Millwall and Luton Town according to the report.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

He drums to his own beat which is what a maverick does. Capable of the unexpected. Overhead kick goal for Scotland U21s springs to mind. A big character basically - a dying breed.

aka "the premier league's weirdest player" - definite maverick status. Not sure we ever appreciated him enough.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwjmkj/the-premier-leagues-weirdest-player-is-the-christmas-hero-we-all-need

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He drums to his own beat which is what a maverick does. Capable of the unexpected. Overhead kick goal for Scotland U21s springs to mind. A big character basically - a dying breed.

aka "the premier league's weirdest player" - definite maverick status. Not sure we ever appreciated him enough.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwjmkj/the-premier-leagues-weirdest-player-is-the-christmas-hero-we-all-need

Just stop it.

Hectormasson
34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Perfectly put.....

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, DH1986 said:

Just stop it.

Stop what? It's a discussion aye? I just posted an article that elaborates on exactly what I was talking about. They even use the word maverick. You might just have a very fixed idea of what a maverick is. They don't all have to be alcoholic and/or troubled football geniuses. For us, JC could qualify from our team for his music and politics interests and style of play. Suso, Pinilla, Quintongo, Sow, Willie Johnston spring to mind. From other teams, Duncan Ferguson, Stevie May, Tony Watt, Ted McMinn, Paddy McCourt.. something different about them basically.

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stop what? It's a discussion aye? I just posted an article that elaborates on exactly what I was talking about. They even use the word maverick. You might just have a very fixed idea of what a maverick is. They don't all have to be alcoholic and/or troubled football geniuses. For us, JC could qualify from our team for his music and politics interests and style of play. Suso, Pinilla, Quintongo, Sow, Willie Johnston spring to mind. From other teams, Duncan Ferguson, Stevie May, Tony Watt, Ted McMinn, Paddy McCourt.. something different about them basically.

So basically anyone who is different is a footballing maverick?

I think you’re getting possibly confused with cult heroes or something…..I listed you real footballing mavericks.

Imagine even trying to put Stevie bloody May in the same category as Rodney Marsh 😂

30 minutes ago, One five said:

30 days until the new season starts and no new signings yet  🤦‍♂️

Cheers mate👍 This is the concise and genuinely useful kind of post that is needed in these threads.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

So basically anyone who is different is a footballing maverick?

I think you’re getting possibly confused with cult heroes or something…..I listed you real footballing mavericks.

Imagine even trying to put Stevie bloody May in the same category as Rodney Marsh 😂

Maverick - "unorthodox or independent-minded person." In football terms they're not your typical footballer - often especially off the park - and can do the unexpected on it. That's CP to a tee which is what we were discussing. Stevie May? He sprung to mind for some reason. There aren't many though and CP definitely stands out. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

17 minutes ago, stan said:

Cheers mate👍 This is the concise and genuinely useful kind of post that is needed in these threads.

Glad to be of help 😂

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Maverick - "unorthodox or independent-minded person." In football terms they're not your typical footballer - often especially off the park - and can do the unexpected on it. That's CP to a tee which is what we were discussing. Stevie May? He sprung to mind for some reason. There aren't many though and CP definitely stands out. 

CP may well stand out as a maverick to you but in the real world he’s just not.

And neither is Stevie May 🤦🏻‍♂️

54 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's brilliant

Callum Paterson is a maverick.. He's mid - late 20's and there still isn't a position on the park he can play. Can't get more maverick than that tbf. 

1 minute ago, BelgeJambo said:

De ja vu

Sign players late 

shite

did’nt have a full pre season 

blah blah blah

Aye, that's what will happen. Same story, different season and Joe Savages scouting range seems to be about the length of Lancashire. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

9156-posts.article_md.jpg

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***