2021 Scottish Parliament Election (Thursday 6th May 2021)

Dirty Deeds
7 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Mandate to deny Scottish referendum 🥴

64467732-86D3-4448-858C-DA0ED92C1312.jpeg

I just cannot get my head around Labour voters wanting to remain in the Union.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

Space Mackerel
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Just looked at BBCs voting figures.

If you add up all the votes you get 5419418 of that SNP, Green and ALBA make up 2685805.

Which works out at 49.55% Pro Indy.

Where were your figures from?

4C5B5FE9-C584-40CF-84B1-791733C303D8.jpeg

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, Dirty Deeds said:

I just cannot get my head around Labour voters wanting to remain in the Union.  

Around 28% of Labour voters are pro Indy.

Dirty Deeds
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

Around 28% of Labour voters are pro Indy.

Maybe its time that 28% found another party to vote for.   Personally,  I made that move around 20 years ago. 

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

There's not been a big swing since the last referendum and how long do we wait until another ? 

Does Yes have to be nearer 60% before its called ? If so thats a long way off .

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Then why do you care do much? You change your stance more times than the wind changes direction.

In the Scottish parliament election held on the 6th of May 2021. The Conservative and Unionist Party, Labour Party, and Libera Democrats party, got their collective bahookies handed to them on a plate. This despite them ganging up on the Scottish National Party and their great masterplan of tactical voting.

I wonder what the great masterplan will be for the next time?

:spoton:

10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Do they ever? I was ten years in Holland, I could have died there and still never be a Dutchman.

My missus has lived here 20+ years. Longer than she's lived in her home country. She'll always be German as far as she's concerned. Hell, half the time she considers herself East German and that nationality hasn't existed for 30 years. 

doctor jambo
13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nicliar on Marr soon looking forward to her admitting that pro indy parties speak for only 35% of the total electorate and not "the people of Scotland"

There are a large number of pro Indy voters.

The snob in me thinks they are the same drones who old labour took for granted whilst failing to deliver anything meaningful for so long.

People are voting snp despite the 14 years in power whilst delivering what exactly?

Nicola does not want a ref, as without constantly promising one/ blaming Westminster, people would actually notice the cluster **** of the last 14 years

hughesie27
27 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

That's dandy, but the BBC figures don't seem to add up to that.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Her commenting on something that in your view ‘she should stay the **** out of’ is the opposite of parochial. Maybe it isn’t her that’s narrow minded.

How else she comes across to you is irrelevant to your view that she has no right to comment on what you believe to be English elections yet you do.

The Hartlepool by-election was for a seat in the house governing the United Kingdom. It’s not, as you say, an English election. 

The leader of the third largest party represented in Westminster, in your opinion, has no right to comment on an election for the United Kingdom parliament because that is an English matter?

Typical of a unionist and colonist to cry ‘parochial’ as soon as anybody in the ‘union’ tries to step out of their parish.

Colonist🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

What an absolutely pathetic, juvenile post. 

Quite right.

If there is something that should not be mentioned on these threads, it’s football rivalries.

manaliveits105

currency?  -eh pound and B of E for a while - 9 years since planning for indy and she is still clueless 

2 hours ago, theAlvasection said:

If the way you decide which political party you vote for is a result of the football team you support then I'm afraid you are a moron.

Yip.

Must have been more than a few who were unsure whether to use the pencil to put an X or eat it !

Democracy has it’s flaws.

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Colonist🤣🤣🤣

You still pretending you got the result you wanted aye?

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

What an absolutely pathetic, juvenile post. 

Correct. The intelligence of a gnat

59 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nicliar on Marr soon looking forward to her admitting that pro indy parties speak for only 35% of the total electorate and not "the people of Scotland"

Still raging aye? 🤣

A Boy Named Crow
46 minutes ago, Norm said:

My missus has lived here 20+ years. Longer than she's lived in her home country. She'll always be German as far as she's concerned. Hell, half the time she considers herself East German and that nationality hasn't existed for 30 years. 

😂 Does she ever give you the feeling you're being...watched?

frankblack
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Constituency 

49% SNP/Greens

50.4% ST/L/LD

Regional/List

50.4% SNP/Greens/ALBA

46.6% ST/L/LD

Both 

Pro Independence 50+%

On the above. If you think that percentage matters more to rubbish this result. 

SNP 62/73 v 11/73 ST/L/LD

What does it say about the credibility of the below seats. 🤔

Regional/List

SNP/Greens 9 v ST/L 46

I don't think you can take the voting on the election as an indicator as to how another referendum would go.  From memory, Yes were far further ahead back in 2014.  The numbers you present don't necessarily indicate if people would vote for independence, or just couldn't vote for any of the other parties to run Hollyrood.

This election needs to be looked at more as to how disunited the opposition parties are, which utterly sunk the unionist side in terms of tactical voting.

The Scottish Tories were a shambles from when Davidson quit, and an embarassment during the campaign where they had to bring her back to effectively lead their election campaign as Ross was clearly a weak and unconvincing leader.

Scottish Labour with Anas Sarwar were even worse.  Firstly he decides to stand against Sturgeon in her constituency rather than pick a seat that had a narrow SNP majority - I mean how thick do you have to be to throw away a seat like that.  Then there is the point I made a while back that he set the Scottish Labour campaign out as if it were the 1990s, targeting the Scottish Tories as his opposition rather than go for the SNP.  If I were a Scottish Labour member I'd be looking to get him replaced as leaded ASAP.

I don't think Boris is going to give in to calls during this WM parliament on an independence referendum, so we will have to wait and see what happens.  I'd expect any legal action to force a referendum through would fail if it becomes a challenge on the UK constitution, as I'd expect the courts to stand by the constitution.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't think you can take the voting on the election as an indicator as to how another referendum would go.  From memory, Yes were far further ahead back in 2014.  The numbers you present don't necessarily indicate if people would vote for independence, or just couldn't vote for any of the other parties to run Hollyrood.

This election needs to be looked at more as to how disunited the opposition parties are, which utterly sunk the unionist side in terms of tactical voting.

The Scottish Tories were a shambles from when Davidson quit, and an embarassment during the campaign where they had to bring her back to effectively lead their election campaign as Ross was clearly a weak and unconvincing leader.

Scottish Labour with Anas Sarwar were even worse.  Firstly he decides to stand against Sturgeon in her constituency rather than pick a seat that had a narrow SNP majority - I mean how thick do you have to be to throw away a seat like that.  Then there is the point I made a while back that he set the Scottish Labour campaign out as if it were the 1990s, targeting the Scottish Tories as his opposition rather than go for the SNP.  If I were a Scottish Labour member I'd be looking to get him replaced as leaded ASAP.

I don't think Boris is going to give in to calls during this WM parliament on an independence referendum, so we will have to wait and see what happens.  I'd expect any legal action to force a referendum through would fail if it becomes a challenge on the UK constitution, as I'd expect the courts to stand by the constitution.

I don't think he was optimistic at winning a marginal. 

What looks better, courageously fighting nicola sturgeon and losing but showing he has the baws to run against her. Or losing in a marginal?

Take the positive publicity stunt and get in via the list.

It made sense politically.

I think Johnson is in quite a tricky situation. His calls for increased cooperation between the UK govt and the devolved govts may ring hollow, but effectively the UK is deeply fragmented. Scotland,obviously, Wales returning Labour pretty emphatically, and Northern Ireland at a crossroads, with both main Unionist parties there searching for new leadership.

Meanwhile in England, Brexit still the key identifier for leave voters.

So Johnson quite comfortable, but now more evident that UK policy is English policy, so how does he avoid further alienating the other three "equal" nations?

Do nothing and it plays into the hands of his opposition. Do something and alienate his new supporters in England? Brexit ramifications still to fully crystallise too.

Interesting times, as they say.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I take it you meant to say further behind in 2014. Only 1 poll out of dozens had Yes in the lead. Started out the campaign about 30% yes

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, gjcc said:

That’s not all the votes now, is it?

You're correct 30% didn't vote on Thursday. One thing the SNP followers do is get out and vote for their party so it might be fair to think the bigger % of non-voters on Thursday would vote to stay in the union. 

frankblack
2 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

I don't think he was optimistic at winning a marginal. 

What looks better, courageously fighting nicola sturgeon and losing but showing he has the baws to run against her. Or losing in a marginal?

Take the positive publicity stunt and get in via the list.

It made sense politically.

If you pick a marginal and use your profile as party leader you might expect to topple the incumbant MSP if they aren't high profile.

Going against Sturgeon was a poorly judged stunt, and as likely to win as me stepping into the ring against Tyson Fury.  In a contest where every seat could be important, this was naive at best.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Then why do you care do much? You change your stance more times than the wind changes direction.

In the Scottish parliament election held on the 6th of May 2021. The Conservative and Unionist Party, Labour Party, and Libera Democrats party, got their collective bahookies handed to them on a plate. This despite them ganging up on the Scottish National Party and their great masterplan of tactical voting.

I wonder what the great masterplan will be for the next time?

That's a myth. Labour put the kibosh on that early on. Now I dare say some individuals voted tactically but there was no alliance by the unionist parties to do so. 

Seymour M Hersh
14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'm not much of a fan of Ross but he still managed to keep them as the main opposition with the same number of seats so not quite the shambles you indicate. 

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, indianajones said:

64 is pretty incredible! 

More incredible than the 63 they had last Sunday? 

manaliveits105

Congratulations to the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party in their biggest ever votes total 

28 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

😂 Does she ever give you the feeling you're being...watched?

Ha! 

You're not catching me out that easily dear! 

frankblack
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm not much of a fan of Ross but he still managed to keep them as the main opposition with the same number of seats so not quite the shambles you indicate. 

I think there was the opportunity to do so much more to mop up the unionist vote, with Scottish Labour being so out of touch with reality.

A Boy Named Crow
1 minute ago, Norm said:

Ha! 

You're not catching me out that easily dear! 

:peepwall:

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, frankblack said:

I think there was the opportunity to do so much more to mop up the unionist vote, with Scottish Labour being so out of touch with reality.

It's much harder for the conservatives in Scotland to sway labour supporting people to vote for them than down south. 

frankblack
5 minutes ago, Homme said:

Folk are assuming all SNP and Green voters are indy supporters 🤔

That is the point I made earlier.  We don't know, but my gut feel is that when push comes to shove and the facts get presented about joining the EU (hard border, currency, etc), national debt share, deficit, etc that many will choose the status quo.

The nationalists have been slaughtered on TV whenever these questions are put to them on interviews, but that largely got overlooked for this election due to the pandemic.  If we get a referendum then these questions will be the main topics.

Edited by frankblack

Enzo Chiefo
43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You still pretending you got the result you wanted aye?

100%. I would have happily settled for the SNP NOT winning an overall majority. Given the Scottish psyche and the fact that the unionist vote is split 3 ways, that was the best we could hope for. Happy now, aye (sic)?

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If you pick a marginal and use your profile as party leader you might expect to topple the incumbant MSP if they aren't high profile.

In normal times in a country with a political climate not as polarised as this one, I'd agree. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

100%. I would have happily settled for the SNP NOT winning an overall majority. Given the Scottish psyche and the fact that the unionist vote is split 3 ways, that was the best we could hope for. Happy now, aye (sic)?

:laugh2: "Settled for" now is it?

Yeah that's exactly the same as getting the result you wanted!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the next half decade of the parliament you wanted.

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Homme said:

What percentage do you reckon aren't given it's the SNP's raison detre and the Greens have been openly supporting them in government as a pro independence party?

18 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'd say that all SNP and Green voters are open to the possibility of independence. 

Opposition to independence would likely mean you voting for another party.

23 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Congratulations to the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party in their biggest ever votes total 

Yes Congratulations on their slight reduction in %. 👍🏻 
Good chap their leader. 

D0A26031-D9C1-4BA3-92F8-6565DAF5938D.jpeg

Unknown user

As the dust starts to settle I can't help wondering about the longer term political landscape in Scotland.

From the eyes of many Labour sold their souls when they stood next to the tories in the independence referendum, and now we've seen them openly trading votes to keep the SNP out. 

Labour are in their death throes and there are still many of their supporters who couldn't possibly bring themselves to vote tory.

There has to be another player in Scotland soon, tories and SNP don't cover everyone and the alternatives are laughable at the moment. Will we see an independent scottish labour party? Will there be a new party? Will it be Alba that pick up support?

Nearly 1.2 million pro UK votes for losing candidates in the Constituency vote. With proper collaboration, there's potential there.

jamboy1982
31 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

More incredible than the 63 they had last Sunday? 

Yes. That’s how the words more and less work. 

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What percentage do you reckon aren't given it's the SNP's raison detre and the Greens have been openly supporting them in government as a pro independence party?

A small percentage. I was just playing devil's advocate since people were mentioning all these mystery labour pro indy voters.

I voted SNP myself but I'm not 100% convinced on indy at this point in time even though I am more for it than against it. I'd imagine I'm not alone.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, jamboy1982 said:

Yes. That’s how the words more and less work. 

:laugh2:

jamboy1982
4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Nearly 1.2 million pro UK votes for losing candidates in the Constituency vote. With proper collaboration, there's potential there.

I doubt 100% of the people who vote labour are against independence 

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Congratulations to the SNP for getting the biggest percentage vote the UK has seen in the last half century

2 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

You’d be right. Labour kingpins were openly admitting their voter split on that issue yesterday. 

Edited by gjcc
Edit autocorrect

1 minute ago, jamboy1982 said:

No, of course not. Just pointing out that's a lot of wasted votes. Similar opportunities exist in the regionals for either side.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Homme said:

A small percentage. I was just playing devil's advocate since people were mentioning all these mystery labour pro indy voters.

I voted SNP myself but I'm not 100% convinced on indy at this point in time even though I am more for it than against it. I'd imagine I'm not alone.

I'm the other way, 100% convinced on independence (why would we want england to choose our government??) but not into the SNP.

I'd put decent money there's a lot more independence support from outwith the SNP vote  than there is unionist support within.

Horatio Caine
38 minutes ago, Homme said:

Well they'd be wrong to do so.  However, folk voting for the SNP and Green parties probably believe we should be given the right to choose.   A lot of water to flow under a lot of bridges before independence even comes close.