2021 Scottish Parliament Election (Thursday 6th May 2021)

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

According to the BBC: 49% Const, 50.1% Reg. That's for The Seps

48% of the vote, up 1% from the last election with a higher turn out, pkus they won 3 (2 Tory and 1 Labour) constituency seats. Where was this tactical voting myth in these seats. And Shetland was a baw hair away. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

12 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Denison rule still applies to Holyrood as do most conventions.

https://www.parliament.scot/chamber-and-committees/what-was-said-and-official-reports/what-was-said-in-parliament/meeting-of-parliament-09-09-2020?meeting=12802&iob=115745

The Presiding Officer (Ken Macintosh) "In those circumstances, I would have used my casting vote and, in line with convention, I would have voted against the amendment. "

Thanks dob. Appreciate it.

It's quite funny watching Unionists claiming labour in their wee pool. Over 50% are pro independence. 

So who is going to jump to the Scottish Tories first?

The Scottish Liberal Democrats as a party whole, or George Galloway?

:)

Edited by DETTY29

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

48% of the vote, up 1% from the last election with a higher turn out, pkus they won 3 (2 Tory and 1 Labour) constituency seats. Where was this tactical voting myth in these seats. And Shetland was a baw hair away. 

Myth :rofl: If it was a myth, the SNP would have won Edinburgh south and Clydebank and you would have had your overall majority.

One more seat and the pressure would really have been on Bojo. Now he's sitting back in his armchair smoking his big Winston Churchill cigar

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Bigger fag packet math. If I recall, the independence ref had a turnout of over 80%. That means we have about 15% to 20% of voters who will vote on referendum but not this election. 

Who they vote for is anyone's guess. 

If this is percentage figure that we have, SNP won't call for referendum. She can't afford to lose, and this is way too close. 

Another few years of brinkmanship coming up. 

All eyes will be on the opinion polls from now on. I think that Nicola, if she has any sense though, will concentrate on the recovery from Covid before concentrating on a referendum. Except of course if the polls are greatly in favour of independence in which case she'll jump in sooner.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Myth :rofl: If it was a myth, the SNP would have won Edinburgh south and Clydebank and you would have had your overall majority.

One more seat and the pressure would really have been on Bojo. Now he's sitting back in his armchair smoking his big Winston Churchill cigar

hey - don't think you responded to my question earlier?

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's quite funny watching Unionists claiming labour in their wee pool. Over 50% are pro independence. 

One of the startling things for me in this election is seeing evidence in the results that Labour supporters voted for the Tories. I've voted Labour many times in my life but never in a month of Sundays would I ever vote Tory. I know that everyone is different, but it surprises me greatly that a Labour supporter could countenance such a thing, even if tactical voting.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

One of the startling things for me in this election is seeing evidence in the results that Labour supporters voted for the Tories. I've voted Labour many times in my life but never in a month of Sundays would I ever vote Tory. I know that everyone is different, but it surprises me greatly that a Labour supporter could countenance such a thing, even if tactical voting.

It's a sorry state you've got to when you would leave your political principles behind you to vote for the Tories because of your obsession with identity politics.

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A bit like wanting Hibs to win the Scottish Cup :peepwall:

Shanks said no
43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure when it’s decided who it will be. 

Its one of the first pieces of business the new parliament carries out and the last job the current PO does.

Secret ballot, so no favours. All 4 traditional parties have had a PO, so the favourite will be a Green, possibly even Patrick Harvie.

Nucky Thompson
56 minutes ago, Gards said:

But that's quite clearly not correct Nucky.  Both SNP and Greens had another referendum in their manifesto.  They combine and they have the majority in parliament....hence they have the mandate per their manifesto to push for another referendum.

Or am I missing something here?

It wouldn't matter what they put in their manifesto, they would still win, either with a majority or with the Greens backing them up.

It was a foregone conclusion and everyone knew it.

I know loads of people, especially older people who voted SNP because they liked Sturgeons cautious approach in the pandemic, but would never vote for independence.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yeah, but Independent Green isn't controversial for a name. You can't expect electoral committee to look into background of who is standing. I hadn't heard of this person, so they probably hadn't either. 

Politics is a shitty dirty business and this is just another example. 

I'm sure, behind the scenes, there us a load of shameful dirty secret dealing going on, we just don't usually get to hear about it. 

He’s not a Green though, you wouldn’t be able to call yourself an independent Tory/Labour etc. 
He is at every Indy march so I’m sure Alistair McConnachie is well known to them, it’s their job after all. 

832A0AB4-260F-45B5-B50C-A899856D2F40.jpeg

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Totally agree, although it didn't work when Clegg was getting his dinner money taken every day

There’s a blast from the past 😆

jack D and coke
50 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hammered?? The SNP only won the election because of an ideological position and an electorate that is not exactly renowned, unlike the good people of Hartlepool, of adapting their thought process according to circumstances.  For the record, the pro- Independence parties gained less than 50% of the vote.

973E1DAA-2E20-4041-BB0B-083BB806E05D.jpeg

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Its one of the first pieces of business the new parliament carries out and the last job the current PO does.

Secret ballot, so no favours. All 4 traditional parties have had a PO, so the favourite will be a Green, possibly even Patrick Harvie.

Funnily enough I was at a crypto currency chat at the parly and both were there. Mackintosh smiled and was really friendly, Harvie hasn’t ever been like that on the 2-3 occasions I’ve been in his company. It will be interesting to see who gets it, usually a more elder statesman like him perhaps. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

:D Yes indeedy.

Adam_the_legend
24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This sounds unlikely. Where you getting that figure?

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It wouldn't matter what they put in their manifesto, they would still win, either with a majority or with the Greens backing them up.

It was a foregone conclusion and everyone knew it.

I know loads of people, especially older people who voted SNP because they liked Sturgeons cautious approach in the pandemic, but would never vote for independence.

Sorry but i don't quite get that....so no matter what they put in their manifesto, they would still win.  That's surely not correct, otherwise what information do the voters have at hand to decide where to put their vote?

If voters like SNP's handling of the the pandemic, but don't want independence referendum, surely they would have voted for another party?

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

This sounds unlikely. Where you getting that figure?

He's calculating that half of labour voters are pro independence, while conveniently forgetting that a lot of people who vote SNP wouldn't back separation from the UK

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He's calculating that half of labour voters are pro independence, while conveniently forgetting that a lot of people who vote SNP wouldn't back separation from the UK

So they cancel each other out?

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

A step too far, Mr Frederickson, a step too far. 

hughesie27

Not convinced there is that many primary Labour voters out there who would vote for Indy. 

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Gards said:

Sorry but i don't quite get that....so no matter what they put in their manifesto, they would still win.  That's surely not correct, otherwise what information do the voters have at hand to decide where to put their vote?

If voters like SNP's handling of the the pandemic, but don't want independence referendum, surely they would have voted for another party?

What percentage of voters do you think look at a party's manifesto before casting their vote?

Do you think the SNP would have lost lots of votes if they hadn't put indyref2 in their manifesto?

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You reckon?

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

973E1DAA-2E20-4041-BB0B-083BB806E05D.jpeg

Aaah, the old food bank...Well, I'm sure the good people of Hartlepool were able to look at the bigger picture....the Revenue jobs coming to Darlington, the freeport etc etc. And a PM that can actually relate to people, unlike the Islington brigade who "take the knee", obsess about "trans rights" and pore over every word that is said, for fear of causing offence. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Not convinced there is that many primary Labour voters out there who would vote for Indy. 

The youth wing of the party are pro Indy, according to the one I heard talk a few years back. It would make sense as younger folk are in general pro Indy. 

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Smithee said:

You reckon?

Loads of older people, definitely.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aaah, the old food bank...Well, I'm sure the good people of Hartlepool were able to look at the bigger picture....the Revenue jobs coming to Darlington, the freeport etc etc. And a PM that can actually relate to people, unlike the Islington brigade who "take the knee", obsess about "trans rights" and pore over every word that is said, for fear of causing offence. 

Hahahahaha you think BJ can relate to the people of Hartlepool hahahahaha. Enjoy your night pal. 

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, Gards said:

Seriously, how many SNP voters do you think even know, other than Independence  what is in their manifesto?? In Dundee, affected by drug deaths more than most cities, the stuttering baffoon who was in charge of drug policy...was sacked. But they still re-elected him. Go figure.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You reckon?

There are folk that vote SNP that like them as a government. Just as we have unionist party voters who favour independence. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There are folk that vote SNP that like them as a government. Just as we have unionist party voters who favour independence. 

I seriously seriously doubt there are a lot of SNP voters who wouldn't back independence.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Seriously, how many SNP voters do you think even know, other than Independence  what is in their manifesto?? In Dundee, affected by drug deaths more than most cities, the stuttering baffoon who was in charge of drug policy...was sacked. But they still re-elected him. Go figure.

But SNP and Greens have been pretty vocal that they wanted another referendum.  Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem have said they don't.  SNP and Greens have a majority in Parliament (based on what seems to be accepted as a fairly well proportioned voting system)....yet the majority view is wrong?

From the summary I heard on Sky, we are no closer to a referendum now than we were before the election.  Possibly further away as Boris will rightly be heartened by the results in England rather than defensive.  He will effectively tell wee Nicola to get stuffed.

That suits me.  Mega frustration for all these wee Hibs and Celtic supporters.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hammered?? The SNP only won the election because of an ideological position and an electorate that is not exactly renowned, unlike the good people of Hartlepool, of adapting their thought process according to circumstances.  For the record, the pro- Independence parties gained less than 50% of the vote.

They won because they got more votes than the other parties, no matter how you try to spin it to make yourself feel better. If you honestly, absolutely believe that half this country can't think properly and they are ALL voting SNP, you've got a few marbles loose mate. That means you are attributing better thought processes to those bigoted thick huns who smashed up George Square than myself, for example. Reaaaaaaaaally? I don't think even someone as fervent as you believes that.  

For the record, I believe this is the SNP's record vote percentage in a system that literally prevents them from taking any more. This despite the collusion between parties who supposedly have diametrically opposed ideologies, selling their principles to achieve, well diddly squat actually. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

This was a poll taken in August 2019 (source: https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/08/my-scotland-poll-yes-to-independence-takes-the-lead/). If anyone can find a more recent poll then that would be great.

2134714438_Screenshotat2021-05-0822-23-30.png.7287558830978bc219837434523c51ac.png

Wait, this reckons that 12% of people who voted Yes Scotland should be independent, don't think Scotland should be independent?

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

From the summary I heard on Sky, we are no closer to a referendum now than we were before the election.  Possibly further away as Boris will rightly be heartened by the results in England rather than defensive.  He will effectively tell wee Nicola to get stuffed.

As far as I can recall, the last independence poll on JKB was strongly in favour of independence. I don't understand your comment to be honest, Doug, equating support for independence with supporting either of the Green duo.

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Space Mackerel said:

Evening guys and gals.

Cheers! 

3F444279-2EC9-4D2C-BC07-4FAA9B69A7A3.jpeg

I've got a fairly good inclination that Boris won't be greeting tonight :lol:

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

What a slaver.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Wait, this reckons that 12% of people who voted Yes Scotland should be independent, don't think Scotland should be independent?

Their views must have changed between 2014 and 2019. It can happen. My view changed from No to Yes during that period.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I seriously seriously doubt there are a lot of SNP voters who wouldn't back independence.

I wouldn’t say a lot, there are some though. Definitely more Tories who see the opportunities that an independent Scotland would present and the youth of the party’s. 

Im not convinced MPs who are settled in a well paid job at Westminster are that desperate for Indy either, especially those who won’t get a job back up here. 

Unknown user
Just now, redjambo said:

Their views must have changed between 2014 and 2019. It can happen. My view changed from No to Yes during that period.

Yeah I get that, it just seems really unlikely.

I see 20% from the other side have changed too, that doesn't sit right either

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As far as I can recall, the last independence poll on JKB was strongly in favour of independence. I don't understand your comment to be honest, Doug, equating support for independence with supporting either of the Green duo.

C'mon Red, you should know by now that JKB isn't a true reflection of the Hearts support :biggrin2: