2021 Scottish Parliament Election (Thursday 6th May 2021)

Enzo Chiefo
18 minutes ago, Boris said:

The UK could have done exactly the same as part of the EU. As I understand it. Not disagreeing that the EU have had a shitemare over it, but UK membership or not of the EU is irrelevant.

If by progressive you mean someone who isn't into petty narrow minded nationalist veneer to a cynical capital led profit grab, whilst being prepared to rip up treaties signed in good faith, then call me progressive. 

Your 2nd paragraph refers to Sturgeon and the Edinburgh Agreement,  right?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• sadj

• Unknown user

• ri Alban

1 hour ago, pablo said:

Obviously....but ex-pats are usually eligible to vote, aren't they? You're not trying to suggest that a Scot currently working down south wouldn't be offered Scottish citizenship because they're not living in Scotland when independence was won? That would just be one more bonkers thing to add to the pile.

Only people who live, work and pay taxes will be eligible. If you don't like it, Tough shit. 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Only people who live, work and pay taxes will be eligible. If you don't like it, Tough shit. 

I doubt that tbh. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, pablo said:

I doubt that tbh. 

Why? Scottish citizens in any foreign country will be treated in the same way by whoever makes these decisions. Being in England or Bora Bora makes no difference. 

manaliveits105

There she goes again on the news -  " the people of Scotland have voted for the snp" - hmmm naw less than 35% of the Scottish  electorate voted for snp 

do try and be truthful sometimes only your cult will fall for that one.

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And while there's no such thing as Scottish citizenship as yet, have UK or Irish Citizenship regardless of parentage or place of birth, and be resident in Scotland. Not sure about working and paying taxes. The unemployed and pensioners get the vote as far as I know.

Irish Citizens resident in the UK can vote in the UK and vice versa. 

I am Scots born with my original accent intact and all Scots born parents and grandparents too yet I wouldn't expect to be invited to vote in a referendum and rightly so imho. I believe there are around 800,000 people born in Scotland but resident elsewhere in UK.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why? Scottish citizens in any foreign country will be treated in the same way by whoever makes these decisions. Being in England or Bora Bora makes no difference. 

You don't think Scottish citizens will be allowed to vote in general elections as overseas voters in a future independent Scotland? That would be quite something I'd say. Maybe you're right though, it's all hypothetical right now anyway. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm not sure I mentioned the Empire or WW2??  I'd rather it was the 80s or 90s to be honest. Don't remember teachers being reported to the Police, under "terrorism" laws for challenging woke ideology in schools then. Or undergraduates at Uni dictating to lecturers how they should think while trying to re-write history and knock down statues. Or to have "trigger warnings" about content that might upset them. No wonder folk are so feckin fragile. I don't think Scotland is a great example of looking forward and outward given half the country are obsessed by battles from the 14th and 17th centuries or meaningless declarations from the distant past involving the Pope. As you say, it's 2021.

I’m pretty sure teachers would’ve been reported in the 80-90s for supporting the IRA. 
If statues offend people in this day and age take them down, it happens all over the world. 
Half the country couldn’t care less about what happened in the 14th or 17th century, the vast majority don’t care as we look forward. It’s your pals who glorify 1690, two world wars etc and get a stiffy when gun boats are deployed in the English Channel. Good to see you admit you prefer the past though. 

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s progressive to move with the times and not dream of Empires abs Victorian values. Indoctrination in schools and universities? You right wingers really live a world that time forgot, still fighting WWII 80 years later. All you have to do is look at how the media have whipped the English into voting for Brexit to see indoctrination, or the state Broadcaster up here. 
its 2021 in case you hadn’t noticed. 

Agree with this. What I will say though is, Universities should be places where young people can learn an alternative to the MSM, which is staggering in it’s bias. 

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I see Gove's said they won't go to court to block an independence referendum.

If he did say that, you know why, don't you?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, pablo said:

You don't think Scottish citizens will be allowed to vote in general elections as overseas voters in a future independent Scotland? That would be quite something I'd say. Maybe you're right though, it's all hypothetical right now anyway. 

As you say who knows but I can’t say I’ve really given much thought to it as it’s not happened yet, but it’s probably likely they will. I thought you were saying that Scots in England should because of their proximity. 
Im not sure if other countries allow you to vote where you stay and where you come from. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, pablo said:

If he did say that, you know why, don't you?

They'll just turn to Satan as usual?

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Agree with this. What I will say though is, Universities should be places where young people can learn an alternative to the MSM, which is staggering in it’s bias. 

All education should be like that, taught about all religions and the history of their country not the economic union it’s part of. 
The media are a joke to be honest. 

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

There she goes again on the news -  " the people of Scotland have voted for the snp" - hmmm naw less than 35% of the Scottish  electorate voted for snp 

Maybe we should change the voting procedure to FPTP ?

Or maybe not eh !

😂

Scottish Parliament Election 2021
Total voting pro independence parties = 1,326,194
Total voting pro union parties = 1,364,656
38,462 majority for remaining part of the union

Hardly an overwhelming mandate for a second referendum and would the SNP want to risk a second defeat which would put independence on the back burner for a lifetime and probably end their dominance of Scottish politics. Nicola's surely not that daft.

7 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

And while there's no such thing as Scottish citizenship as yet, have UK or Irish Citizenship regardless of parentage or place of birth, and be resident in Scotland. Not sure about working and paying taxes. The unemployed and pensioners get the vote as far as I know.

Irish Citizens resident in the UK can vote in the UK and vice versa. 

I am Scots born with my original accent intact and all Scots born parents and grandparents too yet I wouldn't expect to be invited to vote in a referendum and rightly so imho. I believe there are around 800,000 people born in Scotland but resident elsewhere in UK.

That's their tough luck. If they want a say(accent or not), they should move back, otherwise they should concentrate on their new home and allow the residents of Scotland to shape Scotland.

Anyway, an iScotland will not be UK lite.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

As you say who knows but I can’t say I’ve really given much thought to it as it’s not happened yet, but it’s probably likely they will. I thought you were saying that Scots in England should because of their proximity. 
Im not sure if other countries allow you to vote where you stay and where you come from. 

Yeah it's pretty standard I think. I know my American brother-in-law, who lives and works in the UK votes in US elections for example. 

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They'll just turn to Satan as usual?

Not following. No, they won't be the ones going to court if it comes to that. See Gina Millar and Brexit. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Yeah it's pretty standard I think. I know my American brother-in-law, who lives and works in the UK votes in US elections for example. 

But he can’t vote here?

SwindonJambo
Just now, ri Alban said:

That's their tough luck. If they want a say(accent or not), they should move back, otherwise they should concentrate on their new home and allow the residents of Scotland to shape Scotland.

Anyway, an iScotland will not be UK lite.

I'm not being confrontational rA, just observing the facts as I see them. I am part of said 800,000 and said in my post that I agree that it wouldn't be right for me to be given a vote.

By the same ticket, eligible voters originating from elsewhere who have chosen to make Scotland their home and have UK or Irish Citizenship should and will get the vote, as they did in 2014.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

But he can’t vote here?

No he can't vote here.

If people decide to permanently upsticks and go abroad to live work and pay taxes. Expect your rights to vote to be permanently removed. And no dual nationality, either. 

:byebye:

frankblack
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

If people decide to permanently upsticks and go abroad to live work and pay taxes. Expect your rights to vote to be permanently removed. And no dual nationality, either. 

I think you have mistaken the SNP for a Scottish Nazi Party.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I'm not being confrontational rA, just observing the facts as I see them. I am part of said 800,000 and said in my post that I agree that it wouldn't be right for me to be given a vote.

By the same ticket, eligible voters originating from elsewhere who have chosen to make Scotland their home and have UK or Irish Citizenship should and will get the vote, as they did in 2014.

Do you know if they had to be resident for a certain amount of time before being eligible to vote?

Ideally you enfranchise as many people as possible.

That means Scottish passport holders, wherever they live in the world AND anybody that resides in Scotland, even Students who are only here for 4 or 5 years.

More democracy, not less.

Unknown user
Just now, Cade said:

Ideally you enfranchise as many people as possible.

That means Scottish passport holders, wherever they live in the world AND anybody that resides in Scotland, even Students who are only here for 4 or 5 years.

More democracy, not less.

Couldn't agree more

Unknown user

Maybe there's a compromise, maybe people living outside Scotland who qualify could get a List vote only, but you have to live and pay taxes in the constituency to get a vote there?

Seems a fair way to weight things while still giving everyone a say in stuff that does affect them, even if they do live abroad.

“Nicola Sturgeon is facing warnings that her own lawyers could block her independence push - after Michael Gove urged her to focus on fixing the NHS rather than breaking up the UK.

The Scottish Tories have called on the Lord Advocate, the law chief north of the border, to make clear to Ms Sturgeon that she does not have powers to trigger a vote without Boris Johnson's permission.

The intervention came as Ms Sturgeon appeared to back off her timetable for another ballot, merely suggesting she might try to bring forward legislation next year. “

unless Boris capitulates which I doubt Nicola will have to try and challenge it legally. However IMO she doesn’t stand a chance as it a legal statute. That statute would have to be changed and agreed by both parties. 

Edited by Boy Daniel

dobmisterdobster

Holyrood is technically a regional legislature. Therefore franchise is only for residents.

If someone is born in Kansas, then moves to Florida. They cannot vote for the governor of their state of birth.

SwindonJambo
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Do you know if they had to be resident for a certain amount of time before being eligible to vote?

I believe not. You just have to make it onto the electoral register in time to vote. I know of a very good case in point.

A neighbour of mine growing up here had a Scottish dad and Irish mum but always identified as a Scot despite never having lived there. His own father left at 6! He moved to Glasgow a few months before the 2014 vote and there was an article on him in the local paper and it seemed he could vote. He was a very strong Yes as it happened.

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Holyrood is technically a regional legislature. Therefore franchise is only for residents.

If someone is born in Kansas, then moves to Florida. They cannot vote for the governor of their state of birth.

Yet if they leave the US altogether they can vote for the Governor of the last state they lived in before they left! 

SwindonJambo
28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And if they come back later? Why be confrontational about it! For an indy Scotland to thrive, it should aim to attract as much hard working skilled labour as it possibly can. It will have to do that anyway to counteract the demographic time bomb it's sitting on, i.e. an aging population, large pensioner population and very low birth rate.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I believe not. You just have to make it onto the electoral register in time to vote. I know of a very good case in point.

A neighbour of mine growing up here had a Scottish dad and Irish mum but always identified as a Scot despite never having lived there. His own father left at 6! He moved to Glasgow a few months before the 2014 vote and there was an article on him in the local paper and it seemed he could vote. He was a very strong Yes as it happened.

Thanks for that.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m pretty sure teachers would’ve been reported in the 80-90s for supporting the IRA. 
If statues offend people in this day and age take them down, it happens all over the world. 
Half the country couldn’t care less about what happened in the 14th or 17th century, the vast majority don’t care as we look forward. It’s your pals who glorify 1690, two world wars etc and get a stiffy when gun boats are deployed in the English Channel. Good to see you admit you prefer the past though. 

I'm sure there is no equivalence between supporting a terrorist organisation who murdered and maimed thousands of British citizens and having the right to defend biological facts around sex and gender and preventing indoctrination in schools. I was referring to your pals in the Independence movement who glorify battles or skirmishes from the 14th century and wave flags to demonstrate the point. It's also important to remember the sacrifices made by those in the World Wars and would thoroughly recommend a trip over to Contalmaison and the battlefields which, believe me, certainly focuses the mind.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Less than 35% voted for unionist parties. 

Only around 35% voted for Brexit and that was still deemed “the will of the people.” Two weeks later the polls showed Brexit opinion had reversed. Should Brexit have went ahead?

1 hour ago, Des' Dad said:
Scottish Parliament Election 2021
Total voting pro independence parties = 1,326,194
Total voting pro union parties = 1,364,656
38,462 majority for remaining part of the union

Hardly an overwhelming mandate for a second referendum and would the SNP want to risk a second defeat which would put independence on the back burner for a lifetime and probably end their dominance of Scottish politics. Nicola's surely not that daft.

You can’t just use one set of votes because it suits your point, which unionists are doing. Green didn’t sit in a large number of constituencies(12), Alba didn’t sit at any. 

Unionists are happy only using the constituency figures as a guide for voter intention (as you did above)but equally will happily utilise the seats gained through list votes to state no majority/mandate. 

List votes were a 96,509 majority pro independence. 

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

And if they come back later? Why be confrontational about it! For an indy Scotland to thrive, it should aim to attract as much hard working skilled labour as it possibly can. It will have to do that anyway to counteract the demographic time bomb it's sitting on, i.e. an aging population, large pensioner population and very low birth rate.

Indeed, after Indy we will need to get folk into the country to pay tax and contribute. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Less than 35% voted for unionist parties. 

Only around 35% voted for Brexit and that was still deemed “the will of the people.” Two weeks later the polls showed Brexit opinion had reversed. Should Brexit have went ahead?

You can’t just use one set of votes because it suits your point, which unionists are doing. Green didn’t sit in a large number of constituencies(12), Alba didn’t sit at any. 

Unionists are happy only using the constituency figures as a guide for voter intention (as you did above)but equally will happily utilise the seats gained through list votes to state no majority/mandate. 

List votes were a 96,509 majority pro independence. 

Well said. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm sure there is no equivalence between supporting a terrorist organisation who murdered and maimed thousands of British citizens and having the right to defend biological facts around sex and gender and preventing indoctrination in schools. I was referring to your pals in the Independence movement who glorify battles or skirmishes from the 14th century and wave flags to demonstrate the point. It's also important to remember the sacrifices made by those in the World Wars and would thoroughly recommend a trip over to Contalmaison and the battlefields which, believe me, certainly focuses the mind.

I don’t need any lessons in history thanks I studied it at Uni, or the pointless deaths of many to keep the rich and powerful in control.
Far more of your side still glorify 1690 and both those World Wars. I’d rather go to Auschwitz to be honest. 
As for gender that’s a subject way above my understanding and anyone else’s who isn’t experiencing these emotions. Good luck to them. 

33 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm glad I don't have to live in your world. 😏

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I think you have mistaken the SNP for a Scottish Nazi Party.

And a Brit talking about Nazis like the Empire was given to Britain. No difference between the British Empire and Nazi Germany. 

Edited by ri Alban

frankblack
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You are the one posting nonsense as per usual.  I just highlighted your extremist views.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, luckydug said:

:lol:

Space Mackerel

The absolute state of the illiterate, uneducated gormless Brit Nats on Stephane Adam’s Facebook page. 😁

Malinga the Swinga
34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And a Brit talking about Nazis like the Empire was given to Britain. No difference between the British Empire and Nazi Germany. 

I know you hate Britain but you need help, seriously go and get some help.

Your an embarrassment to Scotland and the people who live here. 

frankblack
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I know you hate Britain but you need help, seriously go and get some help.

Your an embarrassment to Scotland and the people who live here. 

:spoton:

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Spot on there by the way, in fact the Empire was much worse. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

The absolute state of the illiterate, uneducated gormless Brit Nats on Stephane Adam’s Facebook page. 😁

Hilarious eh, i shared it to the Heart of Midlothian fans for Scottish Independence page it was received well 😆

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Nor yours. Not sure what part of my post you disagree with, as there is nothing really contentious to the normal man in the street. But it sounds as if you don't know yourself either.