Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I can see the American owners pushing it as it matches the leagues of American sport where clubs have no relegation. It protects their investment in the clubs.

It is only about money as it is not about competition, fair play or fans.

Liverpool owners have been talking about it since they took over

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

7 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Probably been in the pipeline for a while. Explains why UEFA scrapped the financial fair play rule the other week.

i didnt realise the ffp rule had been scrapped

People with hundreds of millions greetin’ cos people with billions don’t want to play with them anymore. Could not give less of a f—-.
Hopefully it will lessen/end interest in the tourist league up here and our upcoming generations support Scottish football. Will be even better if the uglies have fecked off somewhere else as well. 

Edited by Shaggy2

fabienleclerq
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I just don't get the seethe about this.  it has been several years in the making so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It was announced on the eve of an expected announcement by UEFA of changes to the Champions League format that was going to provide additional guarantees to the same big clubs and make it more difficult for the lesser nations to get in on the act.

UEFA's proposal was, in essence, them acceding to the wishes of the big clubs yet again, but allowed them to retain nominal control over the competition.  The Super League proposal simply took a larger step forward, but removed control from UEFA.

The impact of an ESL on Scottish football will be negligible.

The formation of the EPL, the SPL, the CL, the award of the 2022 WC to Qatar and the proposed ESL are all about one thing, MONEY!

The Epl etc at least kept relegation etc. This destroys any chance of competition or money getting trickled down. 

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I just don't get the seethe about this.  it has been several years in the making so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It was announced on the eve of an expected announcement by UEFA of changes to the Champions League format that was going to provide additional guarantees to the same big clubs and make it more difficult for the lesser nations to get in on the act.

UEFA's proposal was, in essence, them acceding to the wishes of the big clubs yet again, but allowed them to retain nominal control over the competition.  The Super League proposal simply took a larger step forward, but removed control from UEFA.

The impact of an ESL on Scottish football will be negligible.

The formation of the EPL, the SPL, the CL, the award of the 2022 WC to Qatar and the proposed ESL are all about one thing, MONEY!

Bang on FF. This has been on the cards since the Champions League started in 1992. I'm surprised it's taken so long.

As a Hearts supporter, I could not care less about this. We're lightyears away from this level of European football.

Have to laugh at the outrage of some of these pundits. Offered a gig and they'll be all over this Super League in a flash.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Money talks, and a shortage of money talks even louder.

No one doubts the motivation. The fundamental problem is the closed shop AND then saying they will play domestically as well. They can get fecked.

Hearing of this on last nights ITV news shows the irrelevance of our game at the footy bit, no mention of the OF cup tie at all then this money driven idea.

35 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I would have no problem with this if this was a true pyramid and a new apex for teams to hit. In other words, the "Champions League" actually became a league with promotion and relegation back to national tiers. Indeed, regionalisation under this might be a future development. However, as it is a closed shop and designed as a money printing exercise and nothing else, it can GTF.

Exactly.

You've got a situation where Arsenal and Spurs could be finishing mid table in the EPL each season while still being in this Super League by default.

And that could easily happen. If there is no reward for coming anywhere but 1st in thr EPL, then all they'll be doing is trying to avoid relegation while all focus is on the Super League.

Oh to be a BIG 6 fan...

1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

This is all because Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool are not guaranteed CL football anymore.

And Leicester, Everton and West Ham challenging them makes it even worse!

UEFA proposed an expanded CL to allow larger qualification, but these guys have said its not enough.

They want their European income guaranteed each year.

Goes against all everything that made European competition so appealing - you had to qualify for it each year.

It will never happen , Boris will never give the English teams a section 30 order.

Nookie Bear
27 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I wonder what they’ll do for officials?

Offer them a 100% pay rise and 5* hotels. 

Least of their problems!

Meh. Have no feelings for it or against it. What I do find funny is the Sky/BT pundits losing their shit over it. Will they still be losing their shit over it when they get a bumper pay deal to be pundits for it?

15 hours ago, sadj said:

Think there is a certain delicious irony to the fact that UEFA have ****ed so many smaller clubs over to push big clubs with their Euro competitions to the point these clubs now think they are bigger than them.

This.

As Colonel Kurtz put it, “ What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin ! “

10 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Meh. Have no feelings for it or against it. What I do find funny is the Sky/BT pundits losing their shit over it. Will they still be losing their shit over it when they get a bumper pay deal to be pundits for it?

I expect it's Amazon that are pumping money in for the rights

19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Struggling to take Gary Neville seriously as well....when you consider Manchester United and Sky are on his CV.

^This 

His rant was funny tbh, the Irony of what he was trying to say wasn't lost, he was all for more and more billions of pounds to be ploughed into the EPL though and for that to create an even bigger chasm between them and the rest of the world, but not in a European league eh gary? whats the fecking difference? Because it's not English clubs getting all the money? The epl has already lost touch with the common football fan and was skating over very dangerous waters for a while with the embarrasing amount of riches floating around in their game. They never complained at that time did they?

Christ if the scottish league had even 5% of the epl money in terms of sponsorship we would be absolute fecking quids in! have these guys seriously not seen this coming ? It was always going to happen eventually, thats what happens when you sell the soul of the game for money, you reap what you sow, I've no sympathy, could not give a toss either.

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Scottish people who think they have some sort of connection to those top 6 teams in England :rofl:

The same Scottish people who indirectly contribute to shit TV deals for Scottish clubs.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Scottish people who think they have some sort of connection to those top 6 teams in England :rofl:

It’s a real worry for them.

So I wonder how I, we will end up paying for it?

Even by only wanting to watch Scottish football and the 3 key rugby tournaments, it will be packaged in with Sky, BT, Prime.

This is just the next step in the commercialization of football although I suspect the 'big' clubs may be overplaying their hand here.

The thing is, the people who can put an end to this madness are the fans - but as long as they keep paying their television subscriptions to the likes of Sky and BT nothing will change.  

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

Not all team sport is based on relegation and promotion!
Yes, finance is key...but isn't that the case even up here in Scotland. UEFA even set out there own rules regarding spending power. Was it not Chelsea or Man C or one of the big Spanish clubs that fell foul to the UEFA fair play rules and had to suffer sanctions? 
Again, I agree that NFL teams are primarily franchised with one or two exceptions. Steelers and Cowboys to name but two. My point is that the NFL governing body based in New York put fans high on the agenda. Just look at how they market and promote their sport?
On a much smaller scale. Football teams in the UK move location and change their name to reflect new location,  MK Don's, and Livingston to name but a few!
Like everything however, I do agree....Everything that is done is primarily based on finance and financial growth!
This ill conceived breakaway league will be no different. 

Mk Dons and Livingston to name but a few? Could you name a few more then?

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The same Scottish people who indirectly contribute to shit TV deals for Scottish clubs.

A whole generation of people who “support” English teams, and have only ever watched them through Sky, getting in a hot mess over these proposals :rofl:

Hagar the Horrible

Well credit where credit is due Doncaster has negotiated a deal that will have zero impact on us, the EPL or what is left of it might end up being cut to the point the clubs who exists outside the EPL from the championship down might be hurt, when I say might, it will be catasrophic!

Our deal is based on Scottish viewers, not the volume of scottish people who pay, we pay for the EPL getting a magnificent deal.  Doncaster cant get his head around Hearts are box office compared to the OF in Scotland, but the international TV rights we get next to nothing, and its the ex-pat market, we dont tap into

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

A whole generation of people who “support” English teams, and have only ever watched them through Sky, getting in a hot mess over these proposals :rofl:

These proposals are aimed at those “supporters” though. This is for the armchair/Asian/African fans of the Big Clubs. 

Those 12 clubs do though have 1000s of fans who attend every week, like their fathers did before them, are local and see following their team as supporting their community. It is those people that need to stand up and speak now. 

JP Morgan just announced they are sponsoring the breakaway European Soccer Super League.

Not sure if Nicky Campbell is on wind up on the 'Soccer' terminology.

Edited by DETTY29

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

Not all team sport is based on relegation and promotion!
Yes, finance is key...but isn't that the case even up here in Scotland. UEFA even set out there own rules regarding spending power. Was it not Chelsea or Man C or one of the big Spanish clubs that fell foul to the UEFA fair play rules and had to suffer sanctions? 
Again, I agree that NFL teams are primarily franchised with one or two exceptions. Steelers and Cowboys to name but two. My point is that the NFL governing body based in New York put fans high on the agenda. Just look at how they market and promote their sport?
On a much smaller scale. Football teams in the UK move location and change their name to reflect new location,  MK Don's, and Livingston to name but a few!
Like everything however, I do agree....Everything that is done is primarily based on finance and financial growth!
This ill conceived breakaway league will be no different. 

In what way are the Steelers and Cowboys not franchises by the way?

Hagar the Horrible
34 minutes ago, Boab said:

This.

As Colonel Kurtz put it, “ What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin ! “

My Friend

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think that's unfair. There's guys from Manchester, Liverpool, London etc like you or me, who have supported their side going back years because their dad or grandads generation did. What about these guys? How are they going to afford 3-4 grand a week to support their side playing in the US and Asia etc.. It's absolutely vile. Clubs based on local communities being turned into global conglomerates for even more money. 

Live by the sword? I know what you are saying, I did say in an earlier post it would be unfair on these people, the bandwagon jumpers though. I dont see it happening still, not without an enormous compromise

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I wonder what they’ll do for officials?

Despite being dead against it, I might do an online refereeing course, just in case

Henry Winter saying Real Madrid and Barcelona have ran out of car parking spaces (well land) to sell to their councils at significant premiums to refinance their debts.

Edited by DETTY29

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

These proposals are aimed at those “supporters” though. This is for the armchair/Asian/African fans of the Big Clubs. 

Those 12 clubs do though have 1000s of fans who attend every week, like their fathers did before them, are local and see following their team as supporting their community. It is those people that need to stand up and speak now. 

Absolutely, they are most at risk. FC United of Manchester etc. I still cant think of anything worse than actually being involved in this league. Smacks of when Mercer tried to "merge" with the shite and sell it as a mega club

Hagar the Horrible

So the uber Rich on paper clubs have been behind this by their greedy owners, who want to share grap the market, but as its stands we are far richer that Barca and Real combined, because they are so far in the red I have more money in my back pocket than they have, at least its mine, and not adding to debt.

Combined all these clubs have more debt than Africa, but getting to play each other ever year, they think they can hoover up the asian cash

It will be very interesting if this ESL did start up and FIFA subsequently and successfully banned players from representing their national teams. 

Then we'd get to see which players valued bank balances over national pride.

All this outrage from English fans is embarrassing. Footballs been heading this way for years

Maybe worse is Scottish football fans talking how we are different. We are absolutely not

1. Celtic and Rangers would have gone if were big enough to get an invite 

2. we got demoted last year so Peter Lawwell could get his 9IAR. Hibs voted to finish a position lower and Dundee not to get promoted. Spare me the ‘Scottish football is different’ nonsense 

Edited by R1874

CF11JamTart
5 minutes ago, R1874 said:

All this outrage from English fans is embarrassing. Footballs been heading this way for years

Maybe worse is Scottish football fans talking how we are different. We are absolutely not

1. Celtic and Rangers would have gone if were big enough to get an invite 

2. we got demoted last year so Peter Lawwell could get his 9IAR. Hibs voted to finish a position lower and Dundee not to get promoted. Spare me the ‘Scottish football is different’ nonsense 

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

What's to stop them moving spurs to new York? It's a joke. 

Please happen Please happen Please Happen.

John Findlay

It is no coincidence that this was announced yesterday, whilst at the sametime English tabloids were running a story that Paul Pogba was looking for 500k pw to stay at the team that is currently called Manchester United. Paul Pogba imho is not even worth 1 tenth of that salary a week.

This is the problem. Greed from the boardroom of clubs, to greed in the dressing rooms of these clubs.

Someone has to stand up and have the balls to say enough is enough.

Another TV league like the English Premiership and Champions League before it  that I won't be paying to watch. 

No relegation,  qualification based on money and calling it Soccer seems to be a step too far for for some fans, time will tell whether this has any impact.

Thank **** I support a real team in a diddy league for all our faults.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

"Legacy fans". LEGACY FANS. :boak: 

Half and half scarves are the future.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

This will be a good thing in the long-run. Football has been in need of a restructuring for some time, and with these clubs going off to do their own thing, the clubs that are left in the existing leagues will be motivated to establish a system which does not allow for power to coagulate as it has in this situation. Fan ownership and better revenue sharing have to be top priorities now.

ToadKiller Dog

Always was the end game of the big clubs ,brutal capitalism at its worst .

No time for sentiment history or decency  just money to be made .

Football sold its soul in England years ago .

May well kill off many debt heavy English championship clubs that rely on the goodwill of the foreign owner.

This is just football catching up with other areas of business and industry ,venture capitalism and chase of profit .

It will have an effect on scottish football as I guess if it goes ahead more cross boarder leagues will follow ,and the uglies will defiantly buy into that and maybe us and maybe 3 or 4 other scottish clubs could find a place in that if we choose .

jamboinglasgow
23 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

"Legacy fans". LEGACY FANS. :boak: 

It does make me think these clubs are forever chasing the overseas causal fan who will put so much money into the club,  and while overseas TV deals certainly add up (see Premier league) it is still the domestic fans who make up the most of their income.

It also reminds me a few years back the clubs were making a heavy push into China, trying to snap up the market for fans, the view being that with so many people they will make a fortune in shirt sales alone. Then there was a report that came out showing the clubs barely got any money, especially as fans there just bought counterfeit shirts.