• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

Hagar the Horrible

None of this affects us, it might affect a diluted and CL belittled as to its worth and TV share, so it is only going to worry the OF, who might get a kick in the realistics that their worth is not on any radar

Heartsofgold
4 minutes ago, Norm said:

As I understand it, Hoffenheim used to be 51-49 too. However the German system allows owners who have shown sustained financial commitment to their clubs to go above that number. Hopp has spent millions on the area and community. He's not just some rich owner looking for a fast buck on a football side. 

Didn't know about that rule but it makes sense.  He's from that area and, as you said, has invested millions in the club and community to push them forward.

Just now, Heartsofgold said:

Didn't know about that rule but it makes sense.  He's from that area and, as you said, has invested millions in the club and community to push them forward.

I believe there's something like a 10 year requirement of conituned investment before it's allowed. 

I don't see this happening. If UEFA and FIFA are threatening that players won't get to represent their country, this will go nowhere. 

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

None of this affects us, it might affect a diluted and CL belittled as to its worth and TV share, so it is only going to worry the OF, who might get a kick in the realistics that their worth is not on any radar

Depends what impact it has on tv rights and their future for SPL games. 

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

The first big step towards an NFL type set up for the games 'elite'. No thanks.

They will be in for ESL2 in a few years, I reckon. 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Our TV rights are rather pitiful anyway so the adjustment would be a lot less than the other EPL clubs might face. 

davemclaren
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Our TV rights are rather pitiful anyway so the adjustment would be a lot less than the other EPL clubs might face. 

Yes, but it’s all relative. 

In essence, rich clubs - including big clubs with big debts - want to get richer.  It feels pretty soulless.  It's definitely not for me, though as a Hearts fan, it's unlikely a choice I'll need to make!

However, the outrage is interesting.  This is just another step on the road of certain clubs doing what those certain clubs have done for some time - shifting goalposts for their financial benefit.  When Celtic and Rangers basically collaborated to change the rules around home gates when Aberdeen were in the ascendancy, I don't remember the SFA insisting that it can't happen because it would damage the game in Scotland.

The concept of the ESL feels a million miles away from what football is meant to be,

jamboinglasgow

Liverpool fans making some noise against the club, the Kop will also be empty of banners  for tonights game in protest.

Edited by jamboinglasgow
Put Klopp not Kop

Geoff Kilpatrick
28 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Every single team in the NFL is a city based franchise from the National Football League.  Family owned means nothing.  If the city does not pony up the readies for a new stadium and facilities, then the franchise moves a la San Diego and the Raiders in recent years.

Some notable exceptions to this are Green Bay who are citizen owned and the exception that proves the rule. Plus some teams did build their own new stadia, such as New England. However, they are few and far between.

SectionDJambo
15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

If anyone offered that pair the chance of more money they'd be off.... and good riddance to them.

My problem is that (for arguments sake) if they were offered a seat at the ESL table, our governing body would do the exact opposite to the English FA. They would fall over themselves to allow the OF to piss off while allowing them as many colt teams as they wanted in Scotland, so that there was always a clear path back to the SPFL (Premiership), when they're relegated out in their first season!

That’s what I would think would be the interesting part if they got invited into something similar against UEFA rules.

The quandary that Petrie and his chums would find themselves in would be entertaining. Upset UEFA to bend over to those two or grow a pair and sort them out. A rock and a hard place for the SFA and SPFL. 

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Some notable exceptions to this are Green Bay who are citizen owned and the exception that proves the rule. Plus some teams did build their own new stadia, such as New England. However, they are few and far between.

Indeed. Plus there's a handful of franchises who are so integral to the sport that there's no chance of them ever moving. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Liverpool fans making some noise against the club, the Klopp will also be empty of banners  for tonights game in protest.

I reckon if it is certain they go through with it, Klopp will resign. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

No danger. One thing will remain constant about football - there will always be hypocrites.

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I agree. @Geoff Kilpatrick's eternal cynicism isn't always correct.

Footballfirst
33 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It started with 22, and was reduced to 20 in 1995, three seasons into the Premier League. So at the start, there was no change: three down, three up ahead of the first season.

You're right. My memory is failing me.

27 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

The first big step towards an NFL type set up for the games 'elite'. No thanks.

Correct but even if this current attempt is binned it'll end up going that way at somepoint.

I remember all the chat surrounding the 94 world cup in the USA being about how eventually the US would finally 'get' soccer and that once they did they could become a footballing superpower. They kind of have but not on the field, they have become a controlling factor in world football as the very top players have become an American style brand with merchandising earnings being more than a players salary. The new generation of fans are more interested in what a player does on tiktok than what they do on the pitch and this move to a NFL type closed shop with franchises rather than clubs will inevitably happen and unlike the NFL, football won't survive or if it does it'll be a live action version of an esports tourney to it's fans.

The rest of us will be left watching 'traditional' football down the park 

Edited by Ribble

Geoff Kilpatrick
39 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It started with 22, and was reduced to 20 in 1995, three seasons into the Premier League. So at the start, there was no change: three down, three up ahead of the first season.

That FA v FL war had a lot to do with it though, yes. And the FL were indeed becoming too powerful. It was they who, days after they'd won the playoff final at Wembley in 1990, ludicrously demoted Swindon from the top flight to the third flight... before the FA stepped in with the correct compromise of keeping Swindon in the second tier instead. And all this after Swindon's own Chairman had offered to withdraw from the playoffs - to which the FL said no!

Both organisations were unbelievably backward at the time - but the FL much more so than the FA.

Ah yes. The days of Graham Kelly and Bert Millichip. I often wonder if Ted Hastings will uncover a truth that the mutant Doncaster is some sort of incestuous love child of these two.

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No danger. One thing will remain constant about football - there will always be hypocrites.

I do feel for the managers, they are the ones who face the brunt of this as they are the most public face of the clubs who gets questioned by the press. The owners who made the decision wont be public. 

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The guy who owns the jacksonville jaguars wanted to move to London either Wembley in which he tried to buy or to WHL

But the raiders have moved from oakland to LA and back again before nomading in Vagas

Chargers moved in the void of LA, where they were before?

Rams from LA to St Louis and back again

I think the Cleveland Browns are now the Baltimore Ravens but did an Sevco and Airdrie and resurected

In a Bizaar move the Eagles and the Steelers swaped cities in 1940 the Entity (Sevco) but not the franchise WTF!

Oilers moved from Houston to Tennesee Inbreds sorry Titans

St louis Cardinals to Arizona (cardinals now being a bird rather than a senior kafflic thing)

Fans and cities have zero importance,  history has no memory, its all about the $$$$$

Even the Dallas Cowboys moved from Irvine (Dallas) to Arlington about the same as Meadowbank to Livingston

Yeah definitely. Houston have the Texans now. I think I would find it hard to support a new team. 

Hagar the Horrible
18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

None we are ripped off in any case, we should be getting 10x what we get,  Brighton make more in 1 game than our whole league gets for a season.  Thats why NO  fans turning up hit us harder the the EPL

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

I do feel for the managers, they are the ones who face the brunt of this as they are the most public face of the clubs who gets questioned by the press. The owners who made the decision wont be public. 

The thing is that people like Klopp have been holier than thou with their principles. Ole too was the only player at the time who condemned the United takeover by the poison dwarf and his idiot children (Gary Neville was notably quiet). They'll get judged by those standards and probably a tad unfairly but such is life.

Hagar the Horrible
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah definitely. Houston have the Texans now. I think I would find it hard to support a new team. 

They were going to call themselves The The Rangers but that name was already taken

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

They were going to call themselves The The Rangers but that name was already taken

Hahahahaha, The The The Rangers will be the new team entered into the Scottish leagues if they go to this “super” league. 

32 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't see this happening. If UEFA and FIFA are threatening that players won't get to represent their country, this will go nowhere. 

Personally I think that the billionaire owners would be delighted if their assets were NOT playing international football

32 minutes ago, Norm said:

Also. Any coach for one of those clubs will have all their licences revoked and won’t be able to work anywhere if they get sacked. 

shaun.lawson
3 minutes ago, hawaii said:

Personally I think that the billionaire owners would be delighted if their assets were NOT playing international football

This is correct btw. Confirmed by The Athletic.

Malinga the Swinga

Every single club in England who are kicking and screaming about damage to leagues, would have signed up to invite to join European league in a heartbeat if they had been offered the chance. 

A bunch of bigger hypocrites would be hard to find. Like they give a **** what their fans think. Clubs like Villa, Everton, Southampton, Leeds and the rest are just as big a joke as the 6 who at least did something to stir things up. Let's protect, Burnley, Brighton & Newcastle amongst others, who start each campaign trying to be 4th bottom, play weakened teams in cups and generally float around like a shit that won't flush. 

If they want to break away, who really cares. Our TV deal is shit, and we already run our football solely for benefit of just 2 clubs. 

As for managers being against this and making a stand, pay them enough and their principles will melt away. Klopp says what people want to hear and his fanboys lap it up. He will do whatever his paymasters tell him, same as the rest. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Every single club in England who are kicking and screaming about damage to leagues, would have signed up to invite to join European league in a heartbeat if they had been offered the chance. 

A bunch of bigger hypocrites would be hard to find. Like they give a **** what their fans think. Clubs like Villa, Everton, Southampton, Leeds and the rest are just as big a joke as the 6 who at least did something to stir things up. Let's protect, Burnley, Brighton & Newcastle amongst others, who start each campaign trying to be 4th bottom, play weakened teams in cups and generally float around like a shit that won't flush. 

If they want to break away, who really cares. Our TV deal is shit, and we already run our football solely for benefit of just 2 clubs. 

As for managers being against this and making a stand, pay them enough and their principles will melt away. Klopp says what people want to hear and his fanboys lap it up. He will do whatever his paymasters tell him, same as the rest. 

And @shaun.lawson thinks I'm cynical! :laugh:

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Also. Any coach for one of those clubs will have all their licences revoked and won’t be able to work anywhere if they get sacked. 

Putting Brexit aside - at what point would the European Court rule against UEFA for preventing coaches from working ?

I can't see revoking coaching licences being enforceable.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Norm said:

Uefa and fifa wil be powerless if the big clubs and players motivated by money go ahead. 

It's a power struggle of sorts to see who has the most clout. 

The richest clubs or the governing bodies. 

If enough clubs, enough of the big clubs push ahead there is little they can do Tbh. 

Market forces and money will dictate what happens. 

Shame. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Seriously, you really believe that. It's restraint of trade and would be thrown out of court in a second. 

Football is an industry and needs to be dragged into line. 

The Mighty Thor
59 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The guy who owns the jacksonville jaguars wanted to move to London either Wembley in which he tried to buy or to WHL

But the raiders have moved from oakland to LA and back again before nomading in Vagas

Chargers moved in the void of LA, where they were before?

Rams from LA to St Louis and back again

I think the Cleveland Browns are now the Baltimore Ravens but did an Sevco and Airdrie and resurected

In a Bizaar move the Eagles and the Steelers swaped cities in 1940 the Entity (Sevco) but not the franchise WTF!

Oilers moved from Houston to Tennesee Inbreds sorry Titans

St louis Cardinals to Arizona (cardinals now being a bird rather than a senior kafflic thing)

Fans and cities have zero importance,  history has no memory, its all about the $$$$$

Even the Dallas Cowboys moved from Irvine (Dallas) to Arlington about the same as Meadowbank to Livingston

I firmly subscribe to this.

You could have the Dublin Celtics and the Belfast Rangers and totally clean Scottish Football up in an instant.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

I firmly subscribe to this.

You could have the Dublin Celtics and the Belfast Rangers and totally clean Scottish Football up in an instant.

👏👏👍

8 minutes ago, hawaii said:

100%.  They hate international football.  Might release a couple for the pro-bowl at the end of season

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

This is a great post.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

And @shaun.lawson thinks I'm cynical! :laugh:

Not cynical, well okay, slightly cynical, just a realist. 

This football World where all fans/clubs help each other and work together hasn't existed for years. 

We were shat on last year, and what support did we get from fans of other clubs. **** all. 

Bury went bust last year, what support did they get, **** all. 

Tranmere, Partick demoted last season before leagues finished, what support did they get, **** all. 

Clubs and players cheat continually, seedling introduced to try and help established countries and clubs succeed, yet when their little cartel threatened, they burst into tears screaming its not fair, help us. They created a monster and now it's fighting back. 

Might not be pleasant, but it's true. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely our Elite refs will be required for this venture 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈?!?!

No Collum, no party

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, hawaii said:

They’re happy about that, they don’t get the point of giving away your players for free to play international football. They want less football not more in the long run. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No Collum, no party

Hahahahaha they might need to recruit from out with greater Glasgow 😱!!!

Bazzas right boot

After this - 

Games played at a time to suit the American / Asian markets. 

2x 30 minutes half with the clock stopped when the ball is put of play. This will allow adhoc commercials to be played during the game. 

Games to be played routinely in usa/ Asia( already happening) 

Teams to move there. 

Football at the elite level is ****ed. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Pasquale for King

Tom English saying the FAs should ban players from the breakaway teams from the Euros. 
I’m not sure if any ban would stand up to legal scrutiny in the EU anyway. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Tom English saying the FAs should ban players from the breakaway teams from the Euros. 
I’m not sure if any ban would stand up to legal scrutiny in the EU anyway. 

Would be pretty fatal for Scotland, no Tierney, Robertson or McTominay.