Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

dobmisterdobster
19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

UEFA or FIFA do not need to recognise this new group as an official association but I doubt the clubs will care a jot.

The players might care that they can't represent their country internationally anymore.

Robertson, McTominay, Tierney etc will never put on a Scotland shirt again.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

132goals1958
2 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

The danger is that this break away league becomes the Harlem globetrotters of world football...

Quite clearly money via TV / internet rights is the driving force behind all of this.

You get the feeling that they are trying to hold a gun to UEFA's head....Not sure that the rebels will have enough traction, or support when it comes to the crunch. The football authorities will dig their heels in and threaten anyone involved, including the players with black listing. In other words, banned from signing for a non rebel team if you sign up to play in the breakaway league. A wee bit like cricket was back in the Kerry Packer days. 

Don’t think it will happen but to quote an old well worn expression ‘ hell mend them if it does. It will be heading towards a TV reality show. Meaningless games without relegation would effectively create exhibition encounters. Even the current champions league is a turn off once the early results determine who progresses. The good old days is often overhyped but I am old enough to remember Burnley Ipswich Wolves Leeds Notts Forrest Blackburn Derby all winning the league when football belonged to the supporters. The romanticism of the Mathews FA cup final possibly apart from Leicester winning the Premiership is unlikely ever to happen again. However you can only destroy tradition and values up to a certain point. Foreign ownership is the scourge of the modern game. Domestic competition has and always will be the bread and butter and what supporters thrive on. Those magnates of the game are only intent on reaping rewards from the obscene global advertising opportunities and have no emotional attachment to the clubs they are basically exploiting.

Am I correct in saying they expect to still be involved in their respective countries leagues (Laliga and EPL) ? 
so they (or their owners) will get billions to have more games ? Yet still compete at home ?

it’s an easy decision then , surely UEFA ban them from their competitions and the EPL etc chuck them out also ? 
feel sorry for the supporters tbh or the true supporters who will condemn this. 
football at that level is lost. Completely busted. The fallout from this will be demonstrations, boycotts etc etc. Fan power should galvanise  hopefully 

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The players might care that they can't represent their country internationally anymore.

Robertson, McTominay, Tierney etc will never put on a Scotland shirt again.

Then they simply sign for another club.

If UEFA/FIFA ban these clubs from competing domestically then the players contracts will be torn up. The players will have the choice to stay and play in the new league or join a FIFA recognised club.

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

It still wont happen imo. 

Their respective leagues just need to to find 3.5 billion quid to trump them and make this less appealing.

It's happening.

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

theyve signed up apparently? 

Yes but they are expecting to still play in domestic leagues as normal and do this super league pish mid-week.

The fact UEFA and FIFA have said they will ban them and their players means this is surely a non-starter? Or are things going to get really messy?

132goals1958
2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Am I correct in saying they expect to still be involved in their respective countries leagues (Laliga and EPL) ? 
so they (or their owners) will get billions to have more games ? Yet still compete at home ?

it’s an easy decision then , surely UEFA ban them from their competitions and the EPL etc chuck them out also ? 
feel sorry for the supporters tbh or the true supporters who will condemn this. 
football at that level is lost. Completely busted. The fallout from this will be demonstrations, boycotts etc etc. Fan power should galvanise  hopefully 

Just heard that. A team for Europe and one for the domestic league. Unbelievable 

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

If UEFA/FIFA ban these clubs from competing domestically then the players contracts will be torn up. The players will have the choice to stay and play in the new league or join a FIFA recognised club.

And players registrations are held by UEFA ? Or maybe I’m wrong ? Point is if that’s the case then when these parasite clubs decide to bin them then what then ? Imagine the wages the players will be on oooft

Skivingatwork

Will be interesting to see the reaction of the PL now that it’s official.

Fine, points deduction, slap on the wrist?

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Skivingatwork said:

Will be interesting to see the reaction of the PL now that it’s official.

Fine, points deduction, slap on the wrist?

Panic. 

And players registrations are held by UEFA ? Or maybe I’m wrong ? Point is if that’s the case then when these parasite clubs decide to bin them then what then ? Imagine the wages the players will be on oooft

If the clubs push ahead and are binned by their current associations, The European Super League becomes an association....albeit not one recognised by UEFA or FIFA.

Nobody can stop the clubs from playing football matches.

The greed is truly astounding, they want to play in two leagues at the same time. I’m sure the uglies will try to join and leave the colt teams here in case it goes tits up. 

dobmisterdobster

"UEFA say every club and player participating in the Super League will be banned from all UEFA and FIFA competitions. UEFA will sue every participating club for 50-60 billion euros"

Edited by dobmisterdobster

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If the clubs push ahead and are binned by their current associations, The European Super League becomes an association....albeit not one recognised by UEFA or FIFA.

Nobody can stop the clubs from playing football matches.

true, and the big question is will the foreign owners give a shit about anything apart from their bank accounts ? I think we know the answer

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

"UEFA say every club and player participating in the Super League will be banned from all UEFA and FIFA competitions. UEFA will sue every participating for 50-60 billion euros"

Their very own modern day  Bosman case. Popcorn time

Absolute scum. 

A bunch of super rich businessmen who don't understand the game, ruining the game. 

All clubs and any players or managers participating in this should be banned playing within FIFA/UEFA and FA football. 

Disgusting. 

132goals1958
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This is football’s Kerry Packer moment for us old folk. 

The impact was significant. Colour pyjamas and helmets.

SectionDJambo

Corrupt though they have shown themselves to be, FIFA and UEFA have to do everything they can to put a stop to this. It’s like Pandora’s Box.

If this is allowed to happen, other less wealthy clubs will follow suit with their own idea of a breakaway European league. Before we know it we’ll have quite a few of these competitions going on, throwing even more confusion on the fixture calendar. “Atlantic” Leagues all over the place.
The solidarity payments they are proposing are a bribe that we should hope the associations of the UK, Italy and Spain should tell them to shove where the sun doesn’t shine.

It will be interesting to see where the impetus for this came from. I reckon one of the American owners in England. It smacks of a franchise system which they think they can force onto a sport that is alien to it.

true, and the big question is will the foreign owners give a shit about anything apart from their bank accounts ? I think we know the answer

They clearly don’t....

Its going to be interesting to see what happens next. 

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Correct so potentially Man Utd could lose pogba for nothing. 

For example ^ owners aren't stupid. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Existing tv deals with sky, Amazon etc would surely be in breach as well. I would imagine there would be some sort of exclusivity clause . 
to be honest supply and demand will win. If folk pay to watch it then it’s a success. Grass root supporters for these clubs are not a huge factor. The clubs involved have worldwide fan bases that will likely lap this up with £££ to watch on their TVs 

They're talking about banning them from all domestic competitions. Pity the OF hadn't been involved too.....

3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Corrupt though they have shown themselves to be, FIFA and UEFA have to do everything they can to put a stop to this. It’s like Pandora’s Box.

If this is allowed to happen, other less wealthy clubs will follow suit with their own idea of a breakaway European league. Before we know it we’ll have quite a few of these competitions going on, throwing even more confusion on the fixture calendar. “Atlantic” Leagues all over the place.
The solidarity payments they are proposing are a bribe that we should hope the associations of the UK, Italy and Spain should tell them to shove where the sun doesn’t shine.

It will be interesting to see where the impetus for this came from. I reckon one of the American owners in England. It smacks of a franchise system which they think they can force onto a sport that is alien to it.

It’s  JP Morgan apparently with huge Middle East backing

56 minutes ago, Homme said:

They won't give a shit about that 😂

Yeah Rangers said that aswell 🤔🙄

Davis, Lafferty, Naismith, etc. 

It's Tottenham's inclusion that has me stumped.

Shite derby record, no title since 1961, FA Cup since 1991 or trophy since 2008. 

All they really have are feeble claims of playing football 'the right way, with flair' and a Spurs friendly media who back them to the hilt.

The Hibs of North London.

9 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

"UEFA say every club and player participating in the Super League will be banned from all UEFA and FIFA competitions. UEFA will sue every participating club for 50-60 billion euros"

Did they just invent a big number to sue them for? 

Been on the cards since they created the Champions League. Football was ****ed since that was created and this is the natural conclusion. 

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Shite derby record, no title since 1961, FA Cup since 1991 or trophy since 2008. 

All they really have are feeble claims of playing football 'the right way, with flair' and a Spurs friendly media who back them to the hilt.

massive club though. Huge. Look at their stadia.  Arsenal have won FA recently as well

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Want to be known as the big boys 😂

Massive club. 

But when you consider Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs aren't even in the champions league 😂😂embarrassing. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

SectionDJambo

It’s  JP Morgan apparently with huge Middle East backing

Yes, but they must have got a nudge from at least one club. Would they have become involved without being sounded out first by at least one of the 12 clubs? I would think they were approached by the clubs, not the other way round.

But who knows in the murky world of today.

Spurs though 😂 Only trophy in 30 years is the mickey mouse cup won by a gooner legend. 

Edited by Zico

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Did they just invent a big number to sue them for? 

All lawsuits start with an imaginary big number.

Just now, Zico said:

Been on the cards since they created the Champions League. Football was ****ed since that was created and this is the natural conclusion. 

Yep. And when it was no longer involving champions. That competition is nothing more than a money making joke

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Zico said:

There’s little doubt that UEFA painted themselves into a corner with the original format and even more so when they allowed non Champions in.

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes, but they must have got a nudge from at least one club. Would they have become involved without being sounded out first by at least one of the 12 clubs? I would think they were approached by the clubs, not the other way round.

But who knows in the murky world of today.

Liverpool and Chelsea have owners that would of been right behind it I’d wager

3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Spurs though 😂 Only trophy in 30 years is the mickey mouse cup won by a gooner legend. 

What does that matter though ? Not to these parasites. Spurs are massive. I’m sure they are in the top 10 rich list in Europe. That’s all that matters sadly

37 minutes ago, Homme said:

This lasted well.

33 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

theyve signed up apparently? 

Wait and see 😉

This is uncontrolled greed. They’re talking about billions meanwhile most clubs can’t afford transfer fees. 

Absolutely disgusting. 

4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

What does that matter though ? Not to these parasites. Spurs are massive. I’m sure they are in the top 10 rich list in Europe. That’s all that matters sadly

The irony. ‘Big clubs’ that have won **** all in three decades. 

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Liverpool and Chelsea have owners that would of been right behind it I’d wager

I can see the American owners pushing it as it matches the leagues of American sport where clubs have no relegation. It protects their investment in the clubs.

It is only about money as it is not about competition, fair play or fans.