Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, No Idle Talk said:

Surprised nobody has blamed Robbie Neilson for this yet. 😄

It was his money spinner comment that kick started all this...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

If this is an unsanctioned competition then there could be player contract impacts too. Could a player who was under a 3 year contract at a club not part of it essentially move for free to play sign for a European Super League club (assuming that the ESL clubs were not participating in normal domestic competitions).

The CL has been ruined now too, without all this. The new format looks terrible.

Under the floodlight

If this is allowed to happen, traditional fan bases could be abandoned and clubs could relocate anywhere in europe or the rest of the world, Beijing paying for a new stadium for Man U to play in? I do think however that Fifa/Uefa will kill this.

Footballfirst

That's it. The proposal is doomed, so says Boris.

None of the clubs involved can be Tory donors.  It's all a bit EU for his liking too.

Edited by Footballfirst

4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

If this is an unsanctioned competition then there could be player contract impacts too. Could a player who was under a 3 year contract at a club not part of it essentially move for free to play sign for a European Super League club (assuming that the ESL clubs were not participating in normal domestic competitions).

The CL has been ruined now too, without all this. The new format looks terrible.

I would imagine that the situation you mentioned above would still be punishable, as the contracts would be 'lawful'. But nothing to perhaps stop it from happening the other way around. The contracts of players at ESL clubs would not be worth the paper they're written on, if the ESL is not recognised by any football governing body. I could be wrong on that one.

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I would piss myself if this was the case! SKY would be spewing!

With regards to UEFA... they’re only pissed because they didn't think of it first. Both them and FIFA are as despicable as it gets.... (outside the SPFL/SFA, of course!)

FTSPFL FTSFA FTH   

Agreed. When the champions league was set up UEFA were responding to the pressure from big clubs to avoid big teams being knocked out of European Cup early so they created a League Cup with sections to avoid this. A similar thing may happen here with UEFA controlling the new league in the end. I personally hope it's a breakaway league that implodes. Suspect I'm not part of the target audience though as I prefer going to games rather than watching TV games.

4 hours ago, sadj said:

Think there is a certain delicious irony to the fact that UEFA have ****ed so many smaller clubs over to push big clubs with their Euro competitions to the point these clubs now think they are bigger than them.

Without a doubt where I am with it. The irony from all quarters, the league associations, ruling bodies and even fans is absolutely delicious. It won't be long before the players are ruling the roost like in the NBA, NHL, etc. 

The fact that several associations, Fifa/UEFA and even Johnson commenting on it suggests this has some serious traction. 

a completely god awful move by the club owners driven by greed and consumerism. 

I hope this blows up in their face and fans become more interested in local/ domestic football than throwing money at Sky to pretend you’re a Man Utd fan. It’s ****ing embarrassing.  

Premier League, UEFA and FIFA united in saying that any player for any of those teams will be banned from taking part in any other domestic, european or world football.

That's a fairly big stick.

Probably a ploy to try to get enough leverage to make sure they get their own way with the CL reconstruction - which is shameful enough already.

If they’re really serious though, then let them go. Ban all their players from international competition for good and the European professional leagues for 10 years. When it all falls flat and they come crawling back, then they fight their way back up the pyramid in each country.  For example in Germany that’s going to take longer than the length of the  average professional footballer’s career.

Another thing - don’t subscribe to the televised coverage. Same with the CL.  Don’t even go to the boozer to watch either. Without the fans they are nothing. From what I know of the people in East Asia - who they think will be piling in to help fund all this - they’re very much mistaken.

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Another poster said this move was inevitable, I agree with that view.

The money in football is huge, that money is very concentrated to the upper end in all leagues. There is an opportunity to further concentrate that income amongst even fewer clubs. 

I think it happens and is a roaring success. It will have money thrown at it, marketed beyond belief to be the best of the best. People threw similar hands up at EPL and CL both have been roaring success for all in the club.

I’ll be honest I would watch it, I’m just not that invested to not 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’re not even just destroying Hearts then, you’re destroying football itself.

Sky and BT pundits getting high and mighty.Suppose it doesn't have anything to do with DAZN being ready and willing to pay £3.5b for the rights to a new greed league.

August Landmesser
18 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That's it. The proposal is doomed, so says Boris.

None of the clubs involved can be Tory donors.  It's all a bit EU for his liking too.

But surely if Man City, PSG etc are involved he'll have all his Gulf State buddies in favour of it? The poor old racist haystack must be terribly conflicted...

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's up to fans to reject this. I know I won't watch a single second of this nonsense.

Agreed. But then look at the reach of the support of the club's involved (except spurs :lol:). You're talking millions around the globe. 

It makes me sick tbh.

kingantti1874
19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Won't Happen 👍 trust me. 

😂 even Alex Ferguson knew nothing of this. 

I also think it won’t happen but please for your own sake don’t pretend to somehow have inside information on 12 of the biggest clubs on earth 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I also think it won’t happen but please for your own sake don’t pretend to somehow have inside information on 12 of the biggest clubs on earth 

Exactly :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Homme said:

Agreed. But then look at the reach of the support of the club's involved (except spurs :lol:). You're talking millions around the globe. 

It makes me sick tbh.

That would be the same Spurs that are listed as the 10th wealthiest club in the world? It’s all about the money, not the fans. And if they do want fans in grounds a club with a 60k capacity stadium with a 3 year waiting list for season tickets fits the bill. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

I’m doing nothing, never mind destroying hearts or football.

Watching it would be supporting it financially. Each to their own, but for me I’d rather buy a season ticket for Hibs.

A_A wehatethehibs

I think it sounds good. Really don’t have much of a problem with it. What’s the problem? So the big money clubs form a league and play each other all the time. National competitions would probably flourish without these clubs buying all the trophies. Crucial thing would be, to make sure that there is no pathway back to domestic competition for these clubs. They stay in the super league permanently with no route back. And the domestic competitions, champions league etc just continues on without them. And those teams aren’t allowed back in. 

Only thing I don’t understand is, why are spurs in it, isn’t it supposed to be big clubs? 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That would be the same Spurs that are listed as the 10th wealthiest club in the world? It’s all about the money, not the fans. And if they do want fans in grounds a club with a 60k capacity stadium with a 3 year waiting list for season tickets fits the bill. 

You're pretty much agreeing with me. They are wealthy but to compare themselves to almost all other teams involved they are small fry.

Fans of Utd, Liverpool, Juve, Barca, Real don't give a toss about Spurs and they can flaunt their money and their one league cup win 13 years ago all they want but it doesn't make them a big club in the terms that most football fans define a big club. There are two larger teams in our tiny county and a dozen plus across Europe not involved in this breakaway.

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

You're pretty much agreeing with me. They are wealthy but to compare themselves to almost all other teams involved they are small fry.

Fans of Utd, Liverpool, Juve, Barca, Real don't give a toss about Spurs and they can flaunt their money and their one league cup win 13 years ago all they want but it doesn't make them a big club in the terms that most football fans define a big club. There are two larger teams in our tiny county and a dozen plus across Europe not involved in this breakaway.

Rangers and Celtic mean shit to the big clubs. In terms of big prizes Scottish trophies don’t count. 

6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Wasn't the statement from the clubs expected at 9.30? Wonder what the delay is.

They’ll be watching Line Of Duty. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Rangers and Celtic mean shit to the big clubs. In terms of big prizes Scottish trophies don’t count. 

Spurs don't win anything. Ever.

J.T.F.Robertson
54 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Won't Happen 👍 trust me. 

That's a big ask. 😔

1 minute ago, Homme said:

Spurs don't win anything. Ever.

You’re just being silly now. More European trophies than both of the OF together. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

You’re just being silly now. More European trophies than both of the OF together. 

But one League cups since the Champions League began.

Wigan, Birmingham and Swansea have won the same amount of domestic honours.

kirkierobroy

Problem with the Champions and Some Other Teams League is that it's boring already, always the same teams, those withe the biggest tycoons owning them. This will make Euro football even more exclusive and boring. So will the probable eventual Uefa-stamped compromise.

Ignore it. We must cultivate our garden. Follow yer own team and go to games(when possible).

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

But one League cups since the Champions League began.

Wigan, Birmingham and Swansea have won the same amount of domestic honours.

Two actually but as we both know that’s not the criteria for membership of this brave new world that’s being proposed. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Struggling to really care about this in all honesty.

Doubt it will ever affect us in the slightest so they can all **** off and form their own league if they want.

I think it will affect us more than you think. 

If this does go ahead there is no way the EPL agree to it. That means the top 6 teams will have to leave the Premier league if they want to participate. This would have huge implications on the whole English football pyramid. Sky/BT will lose interest quickly and the money they pump into the game will slowly disappear. The smaller clubs that depend on the drop down cash will really really struggle. Unfortunately in Scotland we don't have the quality/depth in quality to even compete with the English top 2 divisions financially. Our TV deals will never get better than our current deal because the TV companies will all move their interest to this 'super' league. 

I know us personally rely much more on income from fans but I think a lot of teams across the UKs lower leagues will end up going bust if this new league comes to fruition. It will seriously damage British football as we know it.

Football in England has already become a business rather than a sport and unfortunately this mentality will only grow bigger and bigger.

Note: I don't think it will happen purely because of the reaction it has received and just like Gary Neville said tonight on Sky the owners are bottle merchants, they will pretend they've been misled to push the blame away from themselves.

Edited by Robbo51

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

Problem with the Champions and Some Other Teams League is that it's boring already, always the same teams, those withe the biggest tycoons owning them. This will make Euro football even more exclusive and boring. So will the probable eventual Uefa-stamped compromise.

Ignore it. We must cultivate our garden. Follow yer own team and go to games(when possible).

Absolutely. 

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

Sturgeon would approve if the uglies got an invite. See.. wur pure super Eurup.

We should come up with something equivalent to Godwin's Law for how long a thread on JKB will last before Nicola Sturgeon is mentioned. :) I mean, FFS. :D

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

26 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

:rofl:like you'd have a clue. 

Yeah may I ask, what association are the players that are contracted to there clubs registered too 😉

Unless the 12 teams have something up their sleeves, it ain't going to happen. There is fortunately too much opposition to the idea. It looks to be more that the teams in question are flexing their muscles in order to give themselves more power in future negotiations over the direction of the Champions League. I hope that UEFA and FIFA subtly encourage them with their mini insurrection and then don't blink when it comes to shutting them out of world football (at least temporarily).

Presumably Ann, Craig and the Hearts whisperer are being consulted.

They do have their finger on the pulse of football in 2021. 😊 

It would be tremendous if the OF got into the EPL and their colts teams got into our leagues.  As long as colts were defined as under 35, with the huge money available in England, they could continue to dominate our domestic trophies.

That is the best of both worlds.  Scotland has a major presence in the EPL and we continue to benefit from blatant sectarianism.

Other than my utter contempt for the OF, I used to love Scottish football and would prefer to watch Dunfermline v Raith for example rather than the so called giants of Europe any day of the week.

Unfortunately, those Scottish clubs decided to piss all over us and my affection for them is now zero.

I'm now in the difficult position of strongly disliking almost every club except us.

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah may I ask, what association are the players that are contracted to there clubs registered too 😉

They won't give a shit about that 😂

9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Bongo......

If the 12 teams want to break away and start a league of their own there is absolutely nothing any one can do to stop them. 

Now....there may well be ramifications for entering domestic cup competitions etc but they clearly aren’t fussed.

And if a player decides he wants to be employed by one of the 12 clubs there is not much FIFA can do.....there is the small matter of the freedom of employment act that supersedes some jumped up and crooked organisation like FIFA.

UEFA or FIFA do not need to recognise this new group as an official association but I doubt the clubs will care a jot.

Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham. Along with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus are the reported clubs. 
jog on and piss off. Take the Scottish uglies as well and rot.