Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Think there is a certain delicious irony to the fact that UEFA have ****ed so many smaller clubs over to push big clubs with their Euro competitions to the point these clubs now think they are bigger than them.

Nail on the head. UEFA created this mess in the first place by creating a closed shop and not distributing the wealth. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

dobmisterdobster
5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was very amusing watching Neville get hysterical about this. It's as if he's just noticed all the clubs are greedy for cash. He never seemed to have a problem with the EPL being separate from the FA and allowing huge amounts of ever increasing cash from sky every four year cycle.

He also makes it out that the clubs will be the main beneficiaries financially when we all know it will be the players. Bearing in mind the "top" players are now getting anywhere from 150k - 350k per week. So we'll soon see the first 500k basic per week player I suppose. For me football as I knew was goosed once Sky got their claws into it and the is just it evolving further.  

For me it's a case of **** em all they're reaping what they sowed, The greedy players and their greedier agents, the greedy clubs, UEFA, FIFA, The EPL, The FA and that **** Doncaster (it's probably all his doing anyway). 

The Premier League is separate from the EFL not the FA.

The team owners will make far more money than the players. Just like the NFL. They wouldn't make such a move just to give it all away to player salaries.

The owners want cash cows to generate large passive income for them.

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Already happened.

"As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams."

I assume the same goes for officials - they wouldn't be able to get FIFA-standard referees etc. So all these super duper clubs playing their super league football officiated by the worst of refs.

Could be a good laugh, watching the likes of Greg Aitken and Stephen McLean ruin game after game for the billionaires club

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Already happened.

"As previously announced by FIFA and the six Federations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams."

I assume the same goes for officials - they wouldn't be able to get FIFA-standard referees etc. So all these super duper clubs playing their super league football officiated by the worst of refs.

Could be a good laugh, watching the likes of Greg Aitken and Stephen McLean ruin game after game for the billionaires club

Why would Celtic or Rangers get invited??so many go on about their global fanbase which is basically just ex pats - totally different level when you see all the strips sold in Asia for English teams,you don't see the locals in Bangkok rushing down the pub to watch an Old Firm game but they would for United v Burnley etc 

The English Premiership was founded on the same principle,  greed. The champions league is another example of this UEFA only miffed as they won't control the tournament. Possibly SKY and BT (and BBC for highlights) will be worried by the demise of the greatest league in the world if games are streamed by Google and Amazon for example. 

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The Premier League is separate from the EFL not the FA.

The team owners will make far more money than the players. Just like the NFL. They wouldn't make such a move just to give it all away to player salaries.

The owners want cash cows to generate large passive income for them.

The EPL was founded on the same principle. Greed. Hypocrites the lot of them. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'd let them do it and here's why.

These clubs are followed by glory hunting dicks, not all of them of course but a fair bit worldwide. 

Only one team can win and absolutely none of these teams will be used to finishing as bottom half let alone last. 

This League will eat itself 

Rogue Daddy
6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

officiated by the worst of refs.

...well, if that’s what it takes to rid ourselves of the current crop of GFA officials, I’m all for it!👍😂😂😂

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

The English Premiership was founded on the same principle,  greed. The champions league is another example of this UEFA only miffed as they won't control the tournament. Possibly SKY and BT (and BBC for highlights) will be worried by the demise of the greatest league in the world if games are streamed by Google and Amazon for example

I would piss myself if this was the case! SKY would be spewing!

With regards to UEFA... they’re only pissed because they didn't think of it first. Both them and FIFA are as despicable as it gets.... (outside the SPFL/SFA, of course!)

FTSPFL FTSFA FTH   

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

These clubs are followed by glory hunting dicks, not all of them of course but a fair bit worldwide. 

Only one team can win and absolutely none of these teams will be used to finishing as bottom half let alone last. 

I think that's unfair. There's guys from Manchester, Liverpool, London etc like you or me, who have supported their side going back years because their dad or grandads generation did. What about these guys? How are they going to afford 3-4 grand a week to support their side playing in the US and Asia etc.. It's absolutely vile. Clubs based on local communities being turned into global conglomerates for even more money. 

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

What value is there, not in a money sense, in winning a competition with no history? Just cobbled together for the financial gain of owners and shareholders. It’s worthless in glory terms.
Will fans of these clubs really be happy with this if it actually happens, or will they turn their backs on it? Trouble is, if the domestic fans were to not subscribe to viewing or attending, the football tourists from the Far East would still finance it.

Football as we have known and loved it for over 100 years is all but finished now that the money men have their claws in it. We have no chance of ever seeing a club like Hearts in a European quarter final again, or like Dundee United in a semi final. 

Good post. If fans of other clubs don’t pay to watch it through TV subscriptions is dead in the water. 

Rogue Daddy
6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Yep... and what else would they have to play for? FA cup? Champions League? Europa League? Nope. They’d probably invent some World Series where they play each other in a different country every week. 
The average ST holder of these clubs must be ecstatic!

They will eat themselves. 

Check the state of Spurs

Since the millennium they have won the same amount of trophies as Wigan, Birmingham and Swansea yet think somehow they can be considered as Europe's Elite 🤣

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

UEFA have never had a choice.

Every single time the Champions League format's come up for renewal, the biggest European clubs have threatened a breakaway. And it's the biggest clubs who, in practice, have all the power.

So UEFA have tried to keep them inside the tent pissing out, not outside pissing in... but we've moved step by step by inexorable step to this. Qatar hosting the World Cup is also part of this - because it'd allow the biggest clubs, if they take over, to sychnronise the global calendar and play prestige friendlies/some other naff exhibition tournament every June. 

This is just the highest stakes poker game we've seen yet. "Give us what we want now UEFA, or we're off". And they might end up staying one last time - but a Super League's only ever been a question of when, not if.

I do actually wonder if this will backfire on these clubs. The "we will have a breakaway league if you dont give us what you want" card has always been strong, but I wonder if it only works if league is just over the horizon. These clubs have now played their hand, if there is real anger and hatred in the game towards it and fans turn against their clubs, then these clubs have seriously damaged their trump card. It hands the power back to UEFA (which I would love UEFA to say "your not interested in us then we remove the heavy concessions we gave you.")

I also understand why people are saying its a cheek considering the EPL and SPL were created from clubs looking for power and greed. But this feels completely different, certainly in a sporting sense. Its certain clubs demanding that sporting competition doesn't matter, its about brand size. So the wealtiest clubs need protecting from sporting consequences if they mess up (which is the same as the Champions league award places to "heritage" teams.)

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

You would hope that they’re participation would lead to some sort of less awful behaviour but it would probably make it worse if past experiences are anything to go by. 

They both get worse when they travel further.  Comedy gold watching Celtic fans getting what they should get here by the Amsterdam police.  

His name is

If these teams push through this plan, it'll change football in Europe across the board, even for Scotland.

If its viable and there is cash to be made then other clubs will follow. Maybe even a pyramid system which would literally take the ball from uefa and fifa 

gashauskis9
34 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Exactly my thoughts.  **** them!

shaun.lawson
13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I do actually wonder if this will backfire on these clubs. The "we will have a breakaway league if you dont give us what you want" card has always been strong, but I wonder if it only works if league is just over the horizon. These clubs have now played their hand, if there is real anger and hatred in the game towards it and fans turn against their clubs, then these clubs have seriously damaged their trump card. It hands the power back to UEFA (which I would love UEFA to say "your not interested in us then we remove the heavy concessions we gave you.")

I also understand why people are saying its a cheek considering the EPL and SPL were created from clubs looking for power and greed. But this feels completely different, certainly in a sporting sense. Its certain clubs demanding that sporting competition doesn't matter, its about brand size. So the wealtiest clubs need protecting from sporting consequences if they mess up (which is the same as the Champions league award places to "heritage" teams.)

I agree with all this. The public backlash is already massive, and will intensify in a way none of these clubs have ever experienced. It may also be why wisely, Bayern and PSG have both thought better of it. For now, at least.

To give you an idea of what planet the orchestrators of all this are on: Andrea Agnelli of Juventus genuinely plans to sell packages for the last 15 minutes of games. Because y'know, people's attention spans aren't what they were, and all that.

Nineteen eighty-four. 

Hagar the Horrible

I support Hearts. I wont be paying extra for any of those games. After 2 seasons nobody else will either. It could be a good thing if later all the FA type clubs go back to only champions in a champions league. Bring back cup winners cup and a bigger UEFA league. Clubs need to be there on merit rather than there as an oligarch plaything 

August Landmesser
12 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Surprised nobody has blamed Robbie Neilson for this yet. 😄

If only we'd beaten Birkirkrakaka, we'd have been invited to join the show!

All these ‘clubs’ aren't even football teams anymore.  They are all just corporations like coca cola.  

Imagine pretending to be a man utd or liverpool fan kidding yourself on that you have some kind of connection to them :rofl: tragic.  

Almost as embarrassing as the clowns that ‘support’ Ferrari in F1 :lol:

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I agree with all this. The public backlash is already massive, and will intensify in a way none of these clubs have ever experienced. It may also be why wisely, Bayern and PSG have both thought better of it. For now, at least.

To give you an idea of what planet the orchestrators of all this are on: Andrea Agnelli of Juventus genuinely plans to sell packages for the last 15 minutes of games. Because y'know, people's attention spans aren't what they were, and all that.

Nineteen eighty-four. 

In regards to Agnelli, him pushing for a super league (and Champions league places for heritage teams) reminds me of the Republicans in US politics. They are facing losing power through traditional means and rather then admit their faults and change their appeal in a new world, are looking to ruin the spirit, fairness and purpose of their respective sports/politics. 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

They both get worse when they travel further.  Comedy gold watching Celtic fans getting what they should get here by the Amsterdam police.  

Yes I would have enjoyed that.

Arsenal and Tottenham getting pumped every week would be a laugh, I reckon most players involved would get sick of not winning anything as only one team can win the league, then they’ll jump ship to the bundesliga and leave the competition looking a farce

Hope the PL tell them to go as the real supporters of these clubs will get bored after a couple of years. It could be a good thing for football overall. 

Can’t see it going ahead as someone mentioned the Brechin chairman having the casting vote. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Arsenal and Tottenham getting pumped every week would be a laugh, I reckon most players involved would get sick of not winning anything as only one team can win the league, then they’ll jump ship to the bundesliga and leave the competition looking a farce

It would be a strange move to go and be even less successful as opposed to staying and winning stuff. All about money not success. 

I hope it happens.

I hope it fails unbelievably.

I hope those clubs die.

Gary Neville’s interview was top

class, slightly irony that Sky would be all over it, unless they also launch a PPV service exclusively for their new league.

3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

If hubz arent invited first its not credible 

Spot on. Sunday league without the swashbuckling bottlers of lochend. 

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

No thanks.

You can say what you want to say on here, but I absolutely will not click a link to your own personal blog, to read your own opinion of what's going on. 

This is Jambos Kickback, not Shaun Lawson's Kickback. If you have something to say, you can say it on here, without making us go to some pissy website.

Absolute ****ing joke of a post. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I support Hearts. I wont be paying extra for any of those games. After 2 seasons nobody else will either. It could be a good thing if later all the FA type clubs go back to only champions in a champions league. Bring back cup winners cup and a bigger UEFA league. Clubs need to be there on merit rather than there as an oligarch plaything 

I think they’re bringing back a new third competition soon. 

6 minutes ago, weehammy said:

I suspect they’re banking on ‘fans’ in China, India and SE Asia to buy into it.

The EPL have been totally unable to break into China - and binned their own TV deal there , just a few months ago. Personally,  I rarely watch Champs League games anyway so I couldn't give a toss about this. 

hmfc_liam06

Struggling to really care about this in all honesty.

Doubt it will ever affect us in the slightest so they can all **** off and form their own league if they want.

Reconstruction, with the OF colts teams in the Scottish league system was mooted for a reason. Hoping to have an optimistic foot in both camps

shaun.lawson

Marvellous article. Pitch perfect.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/18/only-someone-who-truly-hates-football-can-be-behind-a-european-super-league

I am, incidentally, more than a little amused at some of those deriding the greed of all this also being those who VOTE for greed time and time and time again. It's no coincidence that six English clubs are among the Dirty Dozen - because greed is what England and Britain is founded upon.

And it's founded upon it because people keep voting for it. These people get the football world they deserve.

dobmisterdobster
55 minutes ago, His name is said:

If these teams push through this plan, it'll change football in Europe across the board, even for Scotland.

If its viable and there is cash to be made then other clubs will follow. Maybe even a pyramid system which would literally take the ball from uefa and fifa 

UEFA and FIFA will be fine. International football is a bigger money maker for them.

56 minutes ago, His name is said:

Thing is these owners don't want a pyramid system they want s closed shop.No threat of ever being relegated.You might be able to buy your way in with wealth though.

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

UEFA and FIFA will be fine. International football is a bigger money maker for them.

read that FIFA may ban players who participate from international football 

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

@$$ cheek colt teams it is then....

The clue is the name "Super League" Why would they want to include a couple of also rans. However big their so called fan base.

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

read that FIFA may ban players who participate from international football 

FIFA plus UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, CAF, AFC and OFC all said something to that effect in January I believe.

The danger is that this break away league becomes the Harlem globetrotters of world football...

Quite clearly money via TV / internet rights is the driving force behind all of this.

You get the feeling that they are trying to hold a gun to UEFA's head....Not sure that the rebels will have enough traction, or support when it comes to the crunch. The football authorities will dig their heels in and threaten anyone involved, including the players with black listing. In other words, banned from signing for a non rebel team if you sign up to play in the breakaway league. A wee bit like cricket was back in the Kerry Packer days. 

15 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Struggling to really care about this in all honesty.

Doubt it will ever affect us in the slightest so they can all **** off and form their own league if they want.

This. Mind you, I’m quite amused by the stinking hypocrisy of UEFA/FIFA harping on about ‘sporting merit’. They’ve been steadily eliminating competition from their various tournaments for years.