Top European Soccer Teams Agree to Join Breakaway League

Paolo

Francis Albert
9 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Rangers have more supporters clubs worldwide than anybody else. There are more ex pays who support them worldwide. They are already popular beyond Glasgow. Us canada. Hong Kong Australia and NewZealand etc

The places you mention are apart from the US backwaters in world terms. Even in the US I have struggled to find Rangers and Celtic games involving Hearts in any pub in NYC.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• Tazio

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

But if it's FIFA's competition they can ban who they like, no? Uefa can ban players for X amount of games for all manner of things from gambling to racism. If it's in their rules (or is placed in their rules shortly) that playing in an unsanctioned competition is an indefinite ban, I don't see how they couldn't do that.

They don’t make the laws though, if they ban a French international then that player can take them to court in what country he plays if it’s illegal to do it there. Look at what’s happening to Blatter, they’re not above the law although they seem to think they are. I think these alleged Elite clubs hold all the cards, it’s the others that are being left behind and not profiting from this new competition that are raging. Im struggling to feel sympathy for the EPL or SPFL etc. 

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The heavyweights are getting involved. 

The actual embodiment of the elite, they have no shame. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I would be finished with Hearts if we left the Scottish set up. 

Are people seriously thinking we will be leaving Scottish football, just because 12 billionaire clubs want to set up a league. 

Why will we be impacted? 

48 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The calculation will be that they don't need English fans for this idea to be a success, after all we know that millions of Chinese support ManU,  Liverpool, Spurs etc. The club's name is just a marketing tag, sad though.

And in a few year's time, where are these games going to be played?

Boston, New York, LA, Kuala Lumpar, Beijing?

Edited by DETTY29

Berra than you
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

They don’t make the laws though, if they ban a French international then that player can take them to court in what country he plays if it’s illegal to do it there. Look at what’s happening to Blatter, they’re not above the law although they seem to think they are. I think these alleged Elite clubs hold all the cards, it’s the others that are being left behind and not profiting from this new competition that are raging. Im struggling to feel sympathy for the EPL or SPFL etc. 

But they make the laws for their competition. They can ban who they like if it's against their rules. Like a barman can ban a punter. 

On 18/04/2021 at 17:51, Section Q said:

Bring on the Atlantic League.....

I love a football shake up, Ann Budge was right.

She left the SPL board due to her stand on reconstruction, very much at the heart of this.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

And I think Hearts would be finished. Certainly the Hearts we know and love.

The derby for example would become a rare event. Like the Sheffield derby, the Bristol derby, the Tyne Tees derby, the Birmingham/West Midlands derbies and do on. Of course we hate Hibs but imagine having missed the joys of regularly thrashing them.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

The actual embodiment of the elite, they have no shame. 

This is the pair that took $150m from Netflix criticising football club owners for self interest. 

13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Is this serious?

Aberdeen won a European trophy with Alex Ferguson at the helm. Rangers/Celtic had some of the best players in the world. We beat Bayern Munich. Dundee United reached a semi final in Europe. Pretty certain that’s holding your own. 

Dundee Utd reached a European Cup Semi , Roma paid the ref off or theyd prob have been in the final. 

Then they beat Barcelona in the UEFA Cup quarter final (1-0(h) , 2-1(a)) despite inbetween needing a penalty in 56mins of injury time to draw with Forfar in the Scottish Cup. They then despatched Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Semi them came up short , losing the final to Gothenburg. 86/87 i think that was - year we lost out on away goals to Dukla Prague.

9 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

For context Sevco have 600k Twitter followers vs Man U's 25m. 

This got me checking. We have 93k followers, which is on par with Bristol Rovers and Wycombe Wanderers

18 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Rangers have more supporters clubs worldwide than anybody else. There are more ex pays who support them worldwide. They are already popular beyond Glasgow. Us canada. Hong Kong Australia and NewZealand etc

Rangers have fans that are ex pats or where the has been irish immigration in general. Man Utd or the likes have a worldwide appeal as a brand

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are people seriously thinking we will be leaving Scottish football, just because 12 billionaire clubs want to set up a league. 

Why will we be impacted? 

This. Now back on topic. European Super League not Hearts leaving Scottish football.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And I think Hearts would be finished. Certainly the Hearts we know and love.

The derby for example would become a rare event. Like the Sheffield derby, the Bristol derby, the Tyne Tees derby, the Birmingham/West Midlands derbies and do on. Of course we hate Hibs but imagine having missed the joys of regularly thrashing them or just looking forward to doing so most seasons. Sorry about add adding to earlier post resulted in repeating most of it!

Edited by Francis Albert

6 minutes ago, JDHMFC said:

She left the SPL board due to her stand on reconstruction, very much at the heart of this.

Yup something she and the club looked into after the fiasco last year was if there was a viable alternative for us than playing in the corrupt league we do

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Yup something she and the club looked into after the fiasco last year was if there was a viable alternative for us than playing in the corrupt league we do

I am on about three years ago i think, Ann had a lot of troubles with the snaky crew.

3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

This. Now back on topic. European Super League not Hearts leaving Scottish football.

The amount of people who are slating this idea but also cant see that this all began with the European Cup revamp that stopped it being a competition with romance , the doing away of the cup winners cup and uefa cup due to the financial benefits of the Champions League and in turn Europa League. Competitions that have harmed small clubs is mad

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Wow. She was that deluded?

Edited by Francis Albert

1 minute ago, JDHMFC said:

I am on about three years ago i think, Ann had a lot of troubles with the snaky crew.

I think the idealistic views she has were good but unworkable in Scotlands closed shop unfortunately.   

27 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Is this serious?

Aberdeen won a European trophy with Alex Ferguson at the helm. Rangers/Celtic had some of the best players in the world. We beat Bayern Munich. Dundee United reached a semi final in Europe. Pretty certain that’s holding your own. 

Our teams did ok in European competitions. And a decent record in head to heads against English teams. That’s just a few occasions. Rangers had a good period in Europe and are still paying the cost of it. I’m not dissing Scottish football as I love my team and going to see them but I’m well aware of the fact that Scotland as a nation should have done much more over the years with the passion we have for the game. 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

Wow. She was that deluded?

I don’t think thats deluded at all. I think its a damming indictment of Scottish Football and I think its a good thing to have looked at based on our treatment as a club. Having a go at her about somethings is fair game but not that.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Our teams did ok in European competitions. And a decent record in head to heads against English teams. That’s just a few occasions. Rangers had a good period in Europe and are still paying the cost of it. I’m not dissing Scottish football as I love my team and going to see them but I’m well aware of the fact that Scotland as a nation should have done much more over the years with the passion we have for the game. 

Shouldn’t we just... Maybe if we had gone to Argentina and played instead of singing about Allys army we might have 😉

Edited by sadj

1 minute ago, sadj said:

The amount of people who are slating this idea but also cant see that this all began with the European Cup revamp that stopped it being a competition with romance , the doing away of the cup winners cup and uefa cup due to the financial benefits of the Champions League and in turn Europa League. Competitions that have harmed small clubs is mad

The romance is certainly gone, maybe still exists at a World Cup or Euros where a small nation can still punch above its weight in knockout games but that's it. Money has ruined the game, even up here it is absurd the debt that newco are allowed to run up annually. 

Just now, sadj said:

Shouldn’t we just... Maybe if we had gone ti Argentina and played instead of singing about Allys army we might have 😉

I was 12 and genuinely thought we could win it. Arsehole of a kid. 

Auldbenches
20 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Does get a bit stale playing someone 4 times or more a season, but give me that over playing rotherham twice.  

Game over for me as well.  That or local amateur side.  

Just now, Tazio said:

I was 12 and genuinely thought we could win it. Arsehole of a kid. 

I wasn’t even 1 but still... Mexico 86 and wee Strachan trying to jump the hoardings against West Germany then the Uruguayan butcher job were my first proper World Cup experience. Mind being in Dundee to pick up World Cup 86 on the C64 and in the shop window they had the Denmark v spain game on 😮

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

The romance is certainly gone, maybe still exists at a World Cup or Euros where a small nation can still punch above its weight in knockout games but that's it. Money has ruined the game, even up here it is absurd the debt that newco are allowed to run up annually. 

That is the sad reality of the current world climate. It will burst at somepoint or will become as they are trying to do a franchised product with many levels below that that are either feeders or just forgotten about bar at local level.

dobmisterdobster
7 minutes ago, sadj said:

It will affect us but not that much in the grand scheme of things. This thread was created to talk about the new Super League not to whinge about the SPFL or Budge for the umpteenth time.

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

I think the idealistic views she has were good but unworkable in Scotlands closed shop unfortunately.   

They were never properly aired, clamped down on twice.

The way i see our current set up, we need to reconstruct the league system to suit all teams top to bottom. two 18 team leagues Premier and Championship with semi pro leagues down to Amateur. We pretty much have youth football tied up and Junior football has its own platform.

Watching the Liverpool game which is the first non Hearts or OF game iv watched this season and the main thing for me is the slowness of a lot of it and how far they stand off each other. I think thats something that needs to be implemented up here but never will be. Unless it is the continual production of technical and skilful players whose progress stalls will continue. @Cruyff said it the other day the time on the ball in England is greater than up here.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Watching the Liverpool game which is the first non Hearts or OF game iv watched this season and the main thing for me is the slowness of a lot of it and how far they stand off each other. I think thats something that needs to be implemented up here but never will be. Unless it is the continual production of technical and skilful players whose progress stalls will continue. @Cruyff said it the other day the time on the ball in England is greater than up here.

Top players use their heads, that is why they get the money.

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It will affect us but not that much in the grand scheme of things. This thread was created to talk about the new Super League not to whinge about the SPFL or Budge for the umpteenth time.

Lol you know this is JKB , do you not agree that all those complaining today seem to be missing the fundamental point that this is just the next step from a monster UEFA themselves created by making their European comps more elite 

1 minute ago, JDHMFC said:

Top players use their heads, that is why they get the money.

As opposed to running about like headless chickens.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

But they make the laws for their competition. They can ban who they like if it's against their rules. Like a barman can ban a punter. 

They don’t make laws, they have rules that can be challenged in a court of law. It’s legal for anyone who works in a pub to bar someone, they didn’t make that up themselves. 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ah dunno. As a country of 5 million I felt we have always punched. We can never and should never expect to compete with countries 10-20 times bigger in population size as they will always have the advantage. This changes in a British league when we will have the same resources as these other teams taking away their Finacial advantage. Plus being in Edinburgh must surely give us other Finacial opportunities. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

This is the pair that took $150m from Netflix criticising football club owners for self interest. 

The hypocrisy is scary. 

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, JDHMFC said:

I think it was more to do with the fact that she didn't have the votes of enough clubs to allow her to to be re-elected for a second year. 

CloustonHMFC
24 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

No it's not. You're mixing up the Cambridge's and the Sussex's.

26 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The hypocrisy is scary. 

The tweet is from Prince William. 

Just now, Footballfirst said:

I think it was more to do with the fact that she didn't have the votes of enough clubs to allow her to to be re-elected for a second year. 

Dig deeper,  there was a story i read. Not sure exact details, Ann faced the pressure head on, she was onto league reconstruction before most. Her stance caused problems for her and she was elected out or she was already going to resign.

You may well be right i cannot remember, Ann had them by the balls and is still at it .

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The tweet is from Prince William. 

Who gives a **** they’re all inbred arseholes who are literally given millions of pound for ****all. Their intervention is as bad as BJ taking his nose out the trough long enough to stick it into this. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Who gives a **** they’re all inbred arseholes who are literally given millions of pound for ****all. Their intervention is as bad as BJ taking his nose out the trough long enough to stick it into this. 

Edgy 

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, JDHMFC said:

Dig deeper,  there was a story i read. Not sure exact details, Ann faced the pressure head on, she was onto league reconstruction before most. Her stance caused problems for her and she was elected out or she was already going to resign.

You may well be right i cannot remember, Ann had them by the balls and is still at it .

I'm pretty sure that she ended up not standing for a second year, because she knew that she wouldn't be re-elected.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Edgy 

That’s us legacy fans who were left behind a long time ago for ya 🙈

Berra than you
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They don’t make laws, they have rules that can be challenged in a court of law. It’s legal for anyone who works in a pub to bar someone, they didn’t make that up themselves. 

If a player breaks a rule and is banned, no matter how daft the rule, then they won't get far in challenging it imo. Evidenced by our endeavours last summer. 

I don't think it would be classed as a restriction of trade either. They would only be stopping them from playing in their competition, not any comp. Don't see why they couldn't ban who they like from their own comps.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well that's me convinced. One load of millionaires protesting about another load of millionaires. Presumably Leeds didn't get invited as they'd have accepted it in a second. 

Doubt that they would have. Many millionaires have already rejected the League 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm pretty sure that she ended up not standing for a second year, because she knew that she wouldn't be re-elected.

I agree, although the point was to dig deeper into her then plans to reconstruct and how they were blocked back then. Ann is involved with the Atlantic league theory, i would say that we as a club should of resigned our membership last season in protest of the way we and Ann were treated by the governing bodies.

That is another story, i am fully up to rattling the caged system.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

If a player breaks a rule and is banned, no matter how daft the rule, then they won't get far in challenging it imo. Evidenced by our endeavours last summer. 

I don't think it would be classed as a restriction of trade either. They would only be stopping them from playing in their competition, not any comp. Don't see why they couldn't ban who they like from their own comps.

Luckily for them the law of the land usurps absolutely anything corrupt organisations like UEFA/FIFA think say or do, no matter what you think. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well that's me convinced. One load of millionaires protesting about another load of millionaires. Presumably Leeds didn't get invited as they'd have accepted it in a second. 

Exactly 👍🏽