Derek Mcinnes

pointon

3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

We can and will though, its not the right appointment imo mate, we all want the club to move in the right direction, appointing mcinnes would be us going round in circles yet again, It would split our fans, Much like Neilson did in the beggining, the dons fans i heard from couldn't wait to get rid of him. It has to be either Alex Neil or a manager of a higher calibre than that for me or we will never go to the next level imo with DM we will only get around 4th place and get papped out cups early doors every season.

Reading more information and generally thinking about the appointments more, the more I want McInnes in. His consistency in league finishes, signing policy, youth development (or at least youth signing policy) out-ways his Neilson like “style of play” for me. I think he is actually the man for a total rebuild job.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The discussion was about whether McInnes is any good at developing young players. Maddison’s career was reignited after his spell at Aberdeen with McInnes. His career was going nowhere. McInnes made him realise what was needed if he was to make it. 

Harsh to say his career was going nowhere. He was 19 years old and had only been bought by Norwich about 6 months earlier. 

IveSeenTheLight
26 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The discussion was about whether McInnes is any good at developing young players. Maddison’s career was reignited after his spell at Aberdeen with McInnes. His career was going nowhere. McInnes made him realise what was needed if he was to make it. 

Sorry, but you’ve jumped to a conclusion there.

He played effectively only 10 league games for Aberdeen, in which he was toughened up by the target he was receiving from the opposition teams. He could have received the same from playing in any team in the SPFL.

He was latterly dropped by McInnes before going back to Norwich.

If your crediting McInnes with Maddison’s development, you’re effectively saying that he couldn’t get the best out of Maddison (hence was benched) and the player himself (or more likely the coaches at Norwich pointed out on his return), that if he couldn’t cut it at Aberdeen, then he’d not make it as a player in the Championship / Premiership.

Daniel Farke had more of an influence turning Maddison around

IveSeenTheLight
39 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, spotted young talent, brought him in, developed him then introduced to first team. Exactly what I would want from a Hearts manager. No need to have all the young boys in the books for years. 

Again a stretch to say McInnes developed Ferguson before putting him in.

He was signed to be developed, but in pre-season, showed McInnes that he was better than the two flops Gleeson and Forrester that was signed to be his main midfield that summer.

‘It was the player himself (who had already been developing at Hamilton) who pushed that he was too good to leave out.

Incidentally, his development has stalled in the last year or so, so it will be interesting to see if the new management team get him to kick on again post McInnes

This won't add much to this thread or debate but I really, very, awfully don't want McInnes. Yes, an upgrade on Neilson*, but that shouldn't be the only criteria!!

We need someone inspirational who'll galvanise a fractured and apathetic support. That's through their personality and their footballing outlook. McInnes?! Nope. We'd be settling for more of the same aiming for mediocrity. I'd suggest any who want him are happy to accept that.

Same goes S Robinson BTW.

*probably but even that isn't cut n dry

Borders Jambo
2 hours ago, Paolo said:

Not a dig at you, but if that is how we are measuring if someone is good enough, then we really are in the shit. 

Fair comment and no offence taken.  I agree those results should never be taken as a measure.

I was all for the appointment of RN when the announcement was made however the turgid style of football and results have like others changed my mind.

I'd bite your hand off now for someone who provides leadership and finishes in the top 4 each season.    

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This won't add much to this thread or debate but I really, very, awfully don't want McInnes. Yes, an upgrade on Neilson*, but that shouldn't be the only criteria!!

We need someone inspirational who'll galvanise a fractured and apathetic support. That's through their personality and their footballing outlook. McInnes?! Nope. We'd be settling for more of the same aiming for mediocrity. I'd suggest any who want him are happy to accept that.

Same goes S Robinson BTW.

*probably but even that isn't cut n dry

What other realistic potential candidates are out there though ?

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

We wouldn't know mate. I wouldn't have picked Stendel out but was extremely happy with his appointment.

Joe Savage will have a good network, plus you see who applies (unless you're setting up the successor before the incumbent goes of course)

You don't take McInnes because it feels unlikely you'll find better!

Look, id get behind McInnes of course I would. I just really hope it's someone more exciting.

11 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I am not sure.  That is Ann’s job.  She knows what she is prepared to offer in wages. I doubt it will be the £900K that he was on at Aberdeen, but don’t know. For me it is a high salary for simply achieving what is expected.  

I also don’t know her level of ambition. 

My choice would be someone from out with the Scottish Leagues.    A few interesting suggestions made here, but I have no idea if they are realistic for the above reasons. 

I suggested in the past Adrian Boothroyd, and it is believed he is about to leave his job as England U21 manager.  Again, I do not know if he is a realistic option, and his last campaign was not as good as expected. 

I just hope that she shows a level of ambition for a change. 

Edited by Paolo

kingantti1874

Please ****ing tell me, given our current plight there arent hearts fans who would turn their noses up at a manager who has turned  Aberdeen from a complete joke to a team who now expect to finish third every season ! to the extent that they parted ways with him when he was 4th in the league!! . He finished in Europe every season. made them millions in transfer fees, bought good young players and actually developed good young players and brought them into the side.  And every ****ing week they gave 100%. A side with no ****ing pussies in it 

hearts are the ****ing joke now - I’d be ****ing ecstatic to get anywhere near Aberdeen right now.  please tell me  hearts fans don’t actually hold this option.! If you do you are absolutely bizarre.

who the **** would you want? Becuase other than Alex Neil there is no another candidate who’s be better suited for the job 

Edited by kingantti1874

Folk just dismissing European football years on end because its expected in a poor league. Was it not expected of us also considering our budget. 

It's one thing having the budget to do it and another actually doing it.

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

We wouldn't know mate. I wouldn't have picked Stendel out but was extremely happy with his appointment.

Joe Savage will have a good network, plus you see who applies (unless you're setting up the successor before the incumbent goes of course)

You don't take McInnes because it feels unlikely you'll find better!

Look, id get behind McInnes of course I would. I just really hope it's someone more exciting.

Thing is....we probably do know. It’s easy to find a list of out of work managers.....the overwhelming majority would be extremely risky imo.

We really do need a safe pair of hands who can rebuild this squad, get into Top 4 within a couple of seasons and then we can take it from there.

We are a mess and McInnes would sort it out.....granted we may not be the greatest to watch but we’d have halted this shitty decline and be dragged back up to somewhere a lot closer to respectability. 

I vowed I didn’t want to see a former fans favourite back here but if Neil McCann can continue his resurgence in the dugout I’d have him next up after this managerial change.

8 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

I'm wondering why Neil? 

Genuinely curious. I don't think he's got the record people seem to think he has 

Accies played a lot of youngsters in his time with them, therefore I think he has better experience and an ability to manage the transition of young players from the academy into the first team far better than what we have been doing for several years. 

His experience in England is quality, Championship level against opposition that will absolutely hammer you if you get slack, so again, I think he’d set professional standards which have been sorely lacking. 

He’s also young enough to still be ambitious so I would expect he’d want 3/4 years here then stroll into a solid Championship side (hopefully with a Scottish cup winners medal) 

ShortmanRossco
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Accies played a lot of youngsters in his time with them, therefore I think he has better experience and an ability to manage the transition of young players from the academy into the first team far better than what we have been doing for several years. 

His experience in England is quality, Championship level against opposition that will absolutely hammer you if you get slack, so again, I think he’d set professional standards which have been sorely lacking. 

He’s also young enough to still be ambitious so I would expect he’d want 3/4 years here then stroll into a solid Championship side (hopefully with a Scottish cup winners medal) 

Fair enough. Thanks for the considered reply. 

I've just got him down as a fairly negative manager, Preston fans were very much disenchanted long before his sacking for his lack of attacking intent and as far as I was aware he done a steady if unspectacular job at Hamilton. 

Not saying I'd necessarily be against him, just haven't really got why there's such clamour for him either. Appreciate it's a results-based business at the end of the day but I think it'd be pretty arduous to watch under him. Depends on what you are after I guess 👍

Vlad the impaler
19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Please ****ing tell me, given our current plight there arent hearts fans who would turn their noses up at a manager who has turned  Aberdeen from a complete joke to a team who now expect to finish third every season ! to the extent that they parted ways with him when he was 4th in the league!! . He finished in Europe every season. made them millions in transfer fees, bought good young players and actually developed good young players and brought them into the side.  And every ****ing week they gave 100%. A side with no ****ing pussies in it 

hearts are the ****ing joke now - I’d be ****ing ecstatic to get anywhere near Aberdeen right now.  please tell me  hearts fans don’t actually hold this option.! If you do you are absolutely bizarre.

who the **** would you want? Becuase other than Alex Neil there is no another candidate who’s be better suited for the job 

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Rick Sanchez
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

This guy gets it.

He was more times than not beating the bottom six team away from home pretty comfortably. **** me what I'd give for that right now, it's been so long.

14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not arguing one way or another for McInnes, but I think I can explain your bafflement - football fans are irrational, emotional and unpredictable.
For example, going by your criteria of league position it’s impossible for our current manager to get us any higher in the table (plus when he left us the last time we were ahead of McInnes’s Aberdeen team). However, we’ve now got people cancelling FOH pledges to get rid of him.

Apparently it’s not all about league position but the style of play.

McInnes has been successful, but his teams have not always played attractive football. That’s probably why some people don’t fancy him.

Geoff Kilpatrick
30 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Would I take McInnes as Hearts manager? Given our situation, absolutely.

Would I be particularly enthralled by it? Not really.

24 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Thing is....we probably do know. It’s easy to find a list of out of work managers.....the overwhelming majority would be extremely risky imo.

We really do need a safe pair of hands who can rebuild this squad, get into Top 4 within a couple of seasons and then we can take it from there.

We are a mess and McInnes would sort it out.....granted we may not be the greatest to watch but we’d have halted this shitty decline and be dragged back up to somewhere a lot closer to respectability. 

I vowed I didn’t want to see a former fans favourite back here but if Neil McCann can continue his resurgence in the dugout I’d have him next up after this managerial change.

I wouldn't be against McCann. Again, prefer to McInnes/Robinson.

Fergus is very very well regarded. He's passionate, takes no crap, plays attacking football.

He'd be a risky appointment and one many would worry about but I've always thought he's a guy who could grab the chance he gets. Dundee was a circus.

As for stabilising, I don't think McInnes would particularly do that much more than Robbie would. Like, it's gone tits for now but it's no more than like for like if you know what I mean?

Glamorgan Jambo

Ticks all the boxes in terms of steadying the ship and getting us back as a regular top 6 club.

Ticks none of the boxes in terms of galvanising the fan base and building the club on a broader front.

Fairly sure he’s scouting signings for West Brom in the championship at this minute.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Would I take McInnes as Hearts manager? Given our situation, absolutely.

Would I be particularly enthralled by it? Not really.

Sums it up nicely. 

David Black
7 minutes ago, S Form said:

I’m not arguing one way or another for McInnes, but I think I can explain your bafflement - football fans are irrational, emotional and unpredictable.
For example, going by your criteria of league position it’s impossible for our current manager to get us any higher in the table (plus when he left us the last time we were ahead of McInnes’s Aberdeen team). However, we’ve now got people cancelling FOH pledges to get rid of him.

McInnes has been successful, but his teams have not always played attractive football. That’s probably why some people don’t fancy him.

Aberdeen at their best under McInnes played some very good football using the full width of the park. My preference would be a foreign coach who would bring fresh training and playing ideas to the club, but if we are going on the Scottish managerial roundabout, then McInnes or Neil are the only choices.

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, S Form said:

Hearts fans used to rip the absolute pish out of hibs fans who desired “flair” . I don’t need “flair” I need high energy, highly effective football played with purpose. The purpose being to win.  That’s exactly what Mcinnes has given Aberdeen.

I’m tired of hearts being a ****ing laughing stock. We are the third biggest team in the country and we need to ****ing well start acting like it.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, spotted young talent, brought him in, developed him then introduced to first team. Exactly what I would want from a Hearts manager. No need to have all the young boys in the books for years. 

Can’t knock him for that one, being a midfielder he’s brought Ferguson on. The boy will make them a fortune, especially if he concentrated on creating and scoring goals instead of feuds in the middle of park, he has Brown to do that now. 

6 minutes ago, David Black said:

Aberdeen at their best under McInnes played some very good football using the full width of the park. My preference would be a foreign coach who would bring fresh training and playing ideas to the club, but if we are going on the Scottish managerial roundabout, then McInnes or Neil are the only choices.

I’d say two of the key players in that best Aberdeen team were Jonny Hayes and Niall McGinn, both of whom were brought to Aberdeen by Craig Brown. In a way McInnes was lucky that the foundations of a good side were in place when he arrived.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

A functional team that gets results?

Isn’t that by and large what Robbie Neilson has provided?

I’d like Robbie to go but if we are restricting ourselves to just looking at Scottish managers with SPL experience (a mistake IMO) I’d prefer Neil.

I remember being surprised at the style of football he had Hamilton playing, he has a track record of bringing youth through - although perhaps lucky with the exceptional talent of McArthur and McCarthy but that said you still have to nurture that talent properly.

He managed at a higher level in England than McInnes (who singularly failed down there himself by the way) and crucially already has a good working knowledge of Savage (I am presuming they get on well still but who knows).

Neil would have me several levels more happy than McInnes but I’d still like a wider net thrown...

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He’s better than Neilson in that respect no doubt about that. Maddison was only 19 so whether his career was going nowhere is a touch dramatic but his few months certainly helped him toughen up. 

Some need to manage their expectations. We will not be getting any inspirational managers that have a good record.

Any manager is going to be a bit meh one way or another. Some on KB won't be happy with any manager we can afford or that would want to manage in Scotland. 

Bad Religion
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Hearts fans used to rip the absolute pish out of hibs fans who desired “flair” . I don’t need “flair” I need high energy, highly effective football played with purpose. The purpose being to win.  That’s exactly what Mcinnes has given Aberdeen.

I’m tired of hearts being a ****ing laughing stock. We are the third biggest team in the country and we need to ****ing well start acting like it.

Completely agree with you and think he’d be a really good fit. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I agree - we need to be back in third place pronto and winning is more important than ‘style’. But remember the plane? I think we were around third in the league when that appeared. As I say, football fans are irrational and emotional.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s better than Neilson in that respect no doubt about that. Maddison was only 19 so whether his career was going nowhere is a touch dramatic but his few months certainly helped him toughen up. 

Playing Devil’s Advocate for a bit - what is the comparison to be able to say for definite that McInnes is better than Neilson?

Neilson only had us in the SPL for 18 months when we were still in full rebuilding mode just a year after administration and we weren’t far behind them at all and in the European places both years (whilst Neilson was still here).

1 minute ago, S Form said:

I agree - we need to be back in third place pronto and winning is more important than ‘style’. But remember the plane? I think we were around third in the league when that appeared. As I say, football fans are irrational and emotional.

The plane would never have happened if we’d beaten Hibs instead of chucking a 2 goal lead. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Playing Devil’s Advocate for a bit - what is the comparison to be able to say for definite that McInnes is better than Neilson?

Neilson only had us in the SPL for 18 months when we were still in full rebuilding mode just a year after administration and we weren’t far behind them at all and in the European places both years (whilst Neilson was still here).

Seriously? McInnes has been a model of consistency. Neilson, since leaving us first time round, has been utter shite.

kingantti1874
Just now, S Form said:

they are. But the plane was primarily about bottle imo.

if you are winning and dominating games people give you plenty of time / support.

if you are playing with “flair” people give you a bit more leeway before turning (see Stendel)

however if you play cautious football and lose silly games then people will crucify you.  (See Robbie) and his excuses don’t help him.

Just now, S Form said:

The flair thing is a lot of shite anyway. There’s nothing wrong with wanting hearts to play good football and get results. We’ve done it under Doddy, JJ and with different bosses under Vlad. Wanting Hearts to play well getting written off as Hibs chat is just nonsense. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

i know you are playing devils advocate but we will never find out. After hearts Neilson will end up managing partick, Falkirk or someone at that level. He’s done

Pasquale for King

Mcinnes couldn’t get the better of Lockes team.
When we first came back up Aberdeen gave us a lesson at Tynecastle, they worked extremely hard and mercilessly hit us on the break. Neilson got the measure of him though and had a good record up there too. 
Levein had the better of him too, we were unlucky in a few visits up there and should’ve hammered them at Murrayfield. If you stopped the wingers they had nothing else. 
I remember one game where he played GMS and McGinn on the wrong wings and they were much easier to mark, I’m sure they bartered long balls to Stevie May in a few games where we had Souttar/Hughes/Berra who strolled the games obviously. 
I think we would regret it almost instantaneously. 

they are. But the plane was primarily about bottle imo.

if you are winning and dominating games people give you plenty of time / support.

if you are playing with “flair” people give you a bit more leeway before turning (see Stendel)

however if you play cautious football and lose silly games then people will crucify you.  (See Robbie) and his excuses don’t help him.

I think the banner read ‘No style, no bottle’ if I remember correctly.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

The flair thing is a lot of shite anyway. There’s nothing wrong with wanting hearts to play good football and get results. We’ve done it under Doddy, JJ and with different bosses under Vlad. Wanting Hearts to play well getting written off as Hibs chat is just nonsense. 

its the definition of what = good football.  Good football is effective football. High tempo, effective, effort, challenges and not backing down. It doesn’t necessarily equate to tika taka

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

In that respect of bringing young players in loan. His overall record is similar really and head to head Neilson is better probably. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Seriously? McInnes has been a model of consistency. Neilson, since leaving us first time round, has been utter shite.

Bigger picture we’ve been consistent under Neilson - like him or not.

1st in the Championship both seasons for the whole season. 3rd in the SPL and 2nd (yes games in hand etc) when he left.

You can’t use the fact that McInnes has been around longer as the basis for him being consistent over a longer time equating to him being better when Neilson hasn’t had that length of time to prove or disprove your theory.

Pasquale for King

its the definition of what = good football.  Good football is effective football. High tempo, effective, effort, challenges and not backing down. It doesn’t necessarily equate to tika taka

Have you seen his teams play like that against us at Tynecastle in the last 5 years? Stendels team shouldve beat time with ten men. 

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not sure anyone (sensible!) is asking for flair!!! McInnes doesn't really provide what you say. I've loads of Dons mates and they've wanted rid for years.

Theory is he inherited a decent squad from Paw Broon and has provided largely unwatchable, stuffy football at a time when he had no challengers for 2nd (then 3rd). He showed zero ambition to push beyond and go out and dominate. Very critical of his transfer activity too.

OK, yes, get the steady hand thing, but the thing is you can have steady PLUS ambition. Even with our current squad, the right manager could have us having a really engaging season next.

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Bigger picture we’ve been consistent under Neilson - like him or not.

1st in the Championship both seasons for the whole season. 3rd in the SPL and 2nd (yes games in hand etc) when he left.

You can’t use the fact that McInnes has been around longer as the basis for him being consistent over a longer time equating to him being better when Neilson hasn’t had that length of time to prove or disprove your theory.

I can use the fact McInnes had a decent track record in England compared to Neilson's disaster at MK Dons if you want to look at another direct comparison.