• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• DH1986

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

We all laughed when Rangers went for Gerrard, even Hibs with Stubbs who . . . Well you know what he did. 
Clubs find young managers/coaches all the time that go on to succeed, we have to hope we are in the market soon and Savage has some ideas. 

Failed to get promoted from the diddy leagues in two seasons despite vast financial advantages?

Auldbenches
12 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Your Aberdeen mate may be wishing a year from now that mcinnes was still Aberdeen manager as I doubt the new management team will hit the ground running 

The new Aberdeen management team is about being skint and going for youth.  Why else would you appoint someone from an American b team and a guy who has he never coaches at this level?  Scott brown was coaching the Celtic youngsters 

That new training facility has drained them.  

21 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I was a McInnes defender but it was time for him to go

Over his full term with you - success or failure? 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Worry not, Morgan. You’ll always be the eye candy of Tynecastle Park to us 😍

I don’t really ‘do’ humble, Nooks.  😔

I’m humble (and shy) tonight though.  

Thanks ever so much.

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I said ambitious option you dumpling👍🏻

😂

Just go all out and say you want Klopp or Pep.....if you’re going to make a ridiculously ambitious suggestion then at least do it right eh.

Dumpling.......

21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

In seriously weakened leagues, with record investment in the Aberdeen team. And how has he done when he got to Europe? He's largely bombed in Europe despite multiple chances. 

I'm not as in awe of McInnes's 2nd places as some seem to be. One LC in 10 years is a terrible return. I would take McCann, Pressley, Robbo, Neil, Robinson, Stendel back, Dougie Freedman if he's interested again, Naismith, and my granny over McInnes. Horrible football manager.

But not Neilson who had a better management record than everyone you mention? 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

So you “almost” want it to happen because you think he will be a bit shit and it will teach us fans some sort of lesson?

Strange attitude, but whatever butters your parsnips I suppose.

He'd probably do a top 5 or even top 3 job with a summer rebuild, because he's done it before, but then I also think Neilson could probably do that with a summer rebuild, because he's also done it before. 

But come on, seriously? McInnes is more Craig Levein than Craig Levein.

IveSeenTheLight
14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Would he agree he had a shelf life? Good for a period of time. Good signings but lost too many Players. He did play youngsters when he could

He didn’t really promote youth, more often he was forced to play youngsters when there were no other options.

He made lots of signings, not all were successful. Many duds but then again, in our price bracket, there will be a lot of gambles

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, soonbe110 said:

But not Neilson who had a better management record than everyone you mention? 

I'd give Neilson next season personally, and think he can rebuild and have us competing as he did last time, if the fans back him which is unlikely. Unless we continue these results, I don't think he's going anywhere though so they'll have to.

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's pretend for a second this is a serious discussion about McInnes (and assume everyone agrees his football is terrible but people seem willing to ignore that), a criticism of Hearts recently (Levein and Neilson - this time around - notably) has been not bringing through enough youngsters. 

What young players have Aberdeen brought through under him since 2013? I can think of one - McKenna - who has been a genuine success. I can't even think of many who have even held down regular first team slots. He's a chequebook manager who capitalised on the financial weakness of rivals for several years and was able to hoover up talent early on in his Aberdeen time.

Ferguson for one 

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Let's pretend for a second this is a serious discussion about McInnes (and assume everyone agrees his football is terrible but people seem willing to ignore that), a criticism of Hearts recently (Levein and Neilson - this time around - notably) has been not bringing through enough youngsters. 

What young players have Aberdeen brought through under him since 2013? I can think of one - McKenna - who has been a genuine success. I can't even think of many who have even held down regular first team slots. He's a chequebook manager who capitalised on the financial weakness of rivals for several years and was able to hoover up talent early on in his Aberdeen time.

James Maddison for two. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Over his full term with you - success or failure? 

Without a doubt success over the term.

8 successive years of finishing between 2nd and 4th, resulting in regular trips in Europe.

The football was in decline though and the last 10 games or so before he left was the worst in his 8 year tenure.

Apart from a very brief period at the start of this season where we were playing quite well, the trajectory over the last 2-3 years was in decline.

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

He didn’t really promote youth, more often he was forced to play youngsters when there were no other options.

He made lots of signings, not all were successful. Many duds but then again, in our price bracket, there will be a lot of gambles

Compared to Neilson he is like Alex Ferguson blooding guys like McKenna and McLennan were blooded with a youthful centre mid mccrorie and Ferguson.

all Teams Make Signings which don’t work

Greedy Jambo

We need someone like Roy Keane, a guy that never smiles, doesn't take any shite and the only thought in his mind is to destroy everyone. 

As assistant manager...

1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Without a doubt success over the term.

8 successive years of finishing between 2nd and 4th, resulting in regular trips in Europe.

The football was in decline though and the last 10 games or so before he left was the worst in his 8 year tenure.

Apart from a very brief period at the start of this season where we were playing quite well, the trajectory over the last 2-3 years was in decline.

👍agree. Shelf life departure. Fresh start required for both parties 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Ferguson for one 

He bought him though for a fair whack. That's what I mean - he's a chequebook manager. 

Would be a good appointment in the sense that I’d back him to get us into Europe, wouldn’t expect us to do anything against the old firm or in derbies or hampden trips though 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He bought him though for a fair whack. That's what I mean - he's a chequebook manager. 

Development fee to Hamilton a fair whack????????????  Probably £100k max 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

James Maddison for two. 

I'm talking about the Aberdeen youth set-up - the equivalent of Hickey, Paterson, Walker, Irving, Jamie Mac, Holt, King, Ryan McGowan, Cochrane, MacDonald, McGhee, Robinson, etc over the same period. OK, not all of these players went on to make it with us or at a higher level but we got lots out of them for our first team plus some went on to bigger things.

I can't think of many coming through the ranks at Aberdeen to either do well elsewhere or in their first team. Conor McLellan maybe the last one and he seems to have disappeared.

Guest ToqueJambo

Development fee to Hamilton a fair whack????????????  Probably £100k max 

It was a great signing but cost more than that. I'm talking about players coming through the ranks at Aberdeen. He doesn't seem like that kind of manager to me.

4 hours ago, OTT said:

I don't want him. 

Youth development and having a cohesive style of play is important to me. I realise other fans will differ, but after several years of watching Leveinball, I really don't want to watch McInnesball, which is a more successful version of Leveinball.  The Dons fans were every bit as depressed as we were watching the shite McInnes was serving up. I want a feeling of being on a journey to building something. McInnes does not inspire me at all. Neil would, several times over in fact. 

If what another poster posted about Alex Neil not wanting to uproot his family for a gamble, then the club should be looking at what would make this not a gamble for him. i.e what can the club do to support him. 

Neilson is a lame duck IMO as there isn't a way back from the Brora result in amongst everything else.

I'm far more open to the idea of Neil McCann now, than I was last summer. I'd like a manager who can coach his players to make them better, rather than a manager that signs his way out of trouble with 28 year olds we can't sell on for money. 

1.) Alex Neil - Proven track record working with young players

2.) Stephen Robinson - Motherwells academy has been generating talent hand over fist. He's not shirked playing them and seems a steady hand. 

3.) Neil McCann - I think he's got an attacking philosophy and could be an interesting curveball

4.) Daniel Stendel  - I think we made an error letting him go. He was dealt a shit hand and deserved more support. I doubt he'd return or Budge would swallow her pride. But I'd certainly like to see him given a full summer window to rebuild the squad as he intended to do. 

👍your bit about mcinnes is where I'm at. Got results but no rangers for large chunk of that and there was plenty eyebleeding football on show along the way. 

I've had enough of that thanks

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

James Maddison for two. 

Want to give Pat Fenlon credit for Matt Doherty too? What youth players have come through. I can only think of McKenna. McLellan looked good but is now at Brechin.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That is exactly what we need right now though......I don’t see any significant number of youth players making the step up in the next season or two.

We need a manager who has a decent recruitment record and given his teams league placings in the last 8 seasons he’s done that better than most other clubs.

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm talking about the Aberdeen youth set-up - the equivalent of Hickey, Paterson, Walker, Irving, Jamie Mac, Holt, King, Ryan McGowan, Cochrane, MacDonald, McGhee, Robinson, etc over the same period. OK, not all of these players went on to make it with us or at a higher level but we got lots out of them for our first team plus some went on to bigger things.

I can't think of many coming through the ranks at Aberdeen to either do well elsewhere or in their first team. Conor McLellan maybe the last one and he seems to have disappeared.

Time at Aberdeen working fir McInnes made Maddison. That’s the players words not mine. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It was a great signing but cost more than that. I'm talking about players coming through the ranks at Aberdeen. He doesn't seem like that kind of manager to me.

Don’t think so 

IveSeenTheLight
8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Ferguson for one 

Ferguson was bought for the future but the player himself made it difficult to leave out.

That season, we also brought in Gleeson and Forrester who both flopped hence Ferguson grabbed his chance

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

James Maddison for two. 

McInnes benched Madison as he could not get the best out of him

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

To be fair, he has brought more cash in than he spent, mostly down to McKenna and Cosgrove.

McKenna was a stop gap after we were thumped by Motherwell.

McLennan has the physique and pace to be successful, but he too often overruns it and makes poor decisions. He doesn’t’t get a ought of a run to settle though. Same with Anderson, hardly got gametime under Mc(nines, but he’s score more (2) than the three players brought in in Jan (Hornby (0), Kamberi (0) and Hendry (1)together

IveSeenTheLight

Time at Aberdeen working fir McInnes made Maddison. That’s the players words not mine. 

being dropped by McInness was the kick up the arse he maybe needed, but it was only when he went back to Norwich that he kicked on.

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Want to give Pat Fenlon credit for Matt Doherty too? What youth players have come through. I can only think of McKenna. McLellan looked good but is now at Brechin.

Cosgrove in for next to nothing out for a lot 

Re Doherty, yes Fenton clearly spotted the potential. McInnes spotted the potential in Maddison 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, DH1986 said:

That is exactly what we need right now though......I don’t see any significant number of youth players making the step up in the next season or two.

We need a manager who has a decent recruitment record and given his teams league placings in the last 8 seasons he’s done that better than most other clubs.

Is that because of him or his much better budget though? In recent seasons, Aberdeen's usual rivals for signings have been weakened financially. For a while, he was able to attract players who might usually have gone to Rangers. In normal times, he never would have got McLean, McGinn, Shinnie etc as us and Hibs and maybe Rangers would have been serious contenders for their signatures as well. His success was based on being able to build and keep together that team with virtually no rivals for at least 2-3 years. Since the league has been more competitive his signings have been worse and his league positions have been worse.

Borders Jambo

Serious question but if Mcinnes had been in charge would we have gone out of the cup to Brora or Alloa.

I don't want to go down the route of discussing RN being sacked, as that has been discussed to death but wonder opinions on the above. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

For someone who has roundly condemned every manager hired by Budge I have a question - what makes you think Savage is any better at his job than Nielson, Levein, Cathro were at theirs? Not criticising just curious as to what you know   

You’re kind of conflating the topic.
I want the only person at the club with a decent football knowledge to help choose the next manager. 
Not someone who admits to knowing noting about football, there’s a lot of that going about on here. 

Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

being dropped by McInness was the kick up the arse he maybe needed, but it was only when he went back to Norwich that he kicked on.

Exactly, McInnes was definitive in his development. He was billy big time until McInnes sorted out his attitude. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not according to our Aberdeen pal a couple of posts down from here.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re kind of conflating the topic.
I want the only person at the club with a decent football knowledge to help choose the next manager. 
Not someone who admits to knowing noting about football, there’s a lot of that going about on here. 

But is he competent? If you think he is what’s the basis of your thoughts? I have no idea about him. Hadn’t heard of him until December. Worries me if he is selecting our next manager/ head coach. His entire cv says he works for managers, not selects them. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not according to our Aberdeen pal a couple of posts down from here.

I’ll try to find the article though I think there’s a few. 

IveSeenTheLight
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Exactly, McInnes was definitive in his development. He was billy big time until McInnes sorted out his attitude. 

Id disagree. If McInness sorted him out, he would have been back in the side showing it.

It was the coaches at Norwich that made him realise that if he couldn’t make it at Aberdeen, he’d not make it to his potential

Maroon Sailor

5 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Serious question but if Mcinnes had been in charge would we have gone out of the cup to Brora or Alloa.

I don't want to go down the route of discussing RN being sacked, as that has been discussed to death but wonder opinions on the above. 

Probably

The team that night seem to think they only had to turn up

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Absolute Scenes
18 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

We need someone like Roy Keane, a guy that never smiles, doesn't take any shite and the only thought in his mind is to destroy everyone. 

As assistant manager...

Its bizarre you’ve said this as I was just talking to my mate about Roy Keane as manager. You imagine what he’d do to GMS if the boy didn’t play well. 

Exactly the character we need. He gain the players respect from the first meeting

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Mind Harry Kewell wanted the hibs job...

No idea if he's any sort of manager, but that would be some story if he came here turned us into a good football team. 

Kewell isn't much of a coach.

I think we're all being a bit premature here.  We're going to win the league and Robbie surely deserves a few more seasons to see if he can keep us up.

It won't be easy against the likes of Livingston and Hamilton but I'm sure he'd give it a jolly good go.  The secret of course will be to be ultra defensive and I think Robbie is just the man for that.  This ex Aberdeen bloke couldn't lace his vodka.

Just now, IveSeenTheLight said:

Id disagree. If McInness sorted him out, he would have been back in the side showing it.

It was the coaches at Norwich that made him realise that if he couldn’t make it at Aberdeen, he’d not make it to his potential

Not what he said in article I read after he had moved to Leicester. Anyway not worth falling out about   Has become an excellent international footballer and your lot played apart in getting him there. Had he played for us and done the same we would have been delighted

Cut The Crap
31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He'd probably do a top 5 or even top 3 job with a summer rebuild, because he's done it before, but then I also think Neilson could probably do that with a summer rebuild, because he's also done it before. 

But come on, seriously? McInnes is more Craig Levein than Craig Levein.

Top 3 or even top 5 is on a different level to what is likely to happen under Robbie next season. 8 successive top 4 finishes is the stuff of fantasy for Hearts in any era and so far beyond Robbie’s capabilities iit’s tragic.

That said, I see where people are coming from. He’s a well known quantity, probably could be said to “know his place” in the Scottish football hierarchy, plays safe, functional football, hasn’t shown much inclination to promote youth. A safe but unexciting pair of hands.

i wouldn’t actively advocate for his appointment, but I’d probably take it if he’s the only option other than the current incumbent.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Cosgrove in for next to nothing out for a lot 

Re Doherty, yes Fenton clearly spotted the potential. McInnes spotted the potential in Maddison 

Yeah and we can point out great signings or players we've developed during the same period as McInnes, under the likes of Levin and Neilson. Sow, Djoum, Hickey, Souttar, and if we're taking loan signings - Milicovic and Jimmy Dunne... Every manager has their good and bad signings.

The point I'm making is we have also brought through a lot more youngsters than McInnes during his time at Aberdeen. Either Aberdeen don't produce youngsters and he didn't care enough to change things, or they do but he's reluctant to give them a go. Whatever it is he doesn't seem to be a manager who puts faith in youth, which is something our fans want.

I also don't see McInnes's recruitment as being anything special, especially since the league has been stronger again. Aberdeen have signed a lot of duds if you look at their ins and outs on wikipedia during the last few years. 

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is that because of him or his much better budget though? In recent seasons, Aberdeen's usual rivals for signings have been weakened financially. For a while, he was able to attract players who might usually have gone to Rangers. In normal times, he never would have got McLean, McGinn, Shinnie etc as us and Hibs and maybe Rangers would have been serious contenders for their signatures as well. His success was based on being able to build and keep together that team with virtually no rivals for at least 2-3 years. Since the league has been more competitive his signings have been worse and his league positions have been worse.

We have a much better budget than two thirds of the top league......McInnes more often than not got into the league position that his budget suggested he should. 

If you’re going to find fault with McInnes you’re going to find fault with every manager in our range.

There are so few outstanding realistic candidates for the job that we are going to have to employ Mr Imperfect. McInnes is less of gamble for me. Also......his apparently  terrible Aberdeen side will more than likely still be playing in Europe next season due to their finishing league position......it’s been 6 years since we’ve finished Top 4.

McInnes will steady the ship and give it a decent rebuild imo....then we can hopefully look to the next level.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

But is he competent? If you think he is what’s the basis of your thoughts? I have no idea about him. Hadn’t heard of him until December. Worries me if he is selecting our next manager/ head coach. His entire cv says he works for managers, not selects them. 

He has been head of recruitment at PNE now Sporting Director with us, I would say it’s stupid not to use his contacts to help select the next manager. 
Would you rather let Budge choose? 
But if you think he’s not up to it then that’s yet another mistake your pal Ann has made isn’t it?

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Top 3 or even top 5 is on a different level to what is likely to happen under Robbie next season. 8 successive top 4 finishes is the stuff of fantasy for Hearts in any era and so far beyond Robbie’s capabilities iit’s tragic.

That said, I see where people are coming from. He’s a well known quantity, probably could be said to “know his place” in the Scottish football hierarchy, plays safe, functional football, hasn’t shown much inclination to promote youth. A safe but unexciting pair of hands.

i wouldn’t actively advocate for his appointment, but I’d probably take it if he’s the only option other than the current incumbent.

Robbie hasn't even lower than 3rd and that was with us. 

You are entitled to you're opinion but the logic is flawed especially saying it's outwith his capabilities to et us in about the top 4.

He's done it. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Been watching Hearts long enough to know that we are as likely to finish 3rd as 6th next season, no matter who the manager is. We rarely finish 3rd or better twice in a row, almost never under the same manager. Neilson was heading for that before he left, and that was after a hugely creditable Championship season when he overachieved by two places.

Someone will be along shortly to remind us it was a weaker Premiership when Neilson got 3rd and was 2nd when he left, but remind us of who wasn't in the league when McInness got all those 2nd places? 

8 seasons in a row of any sort is fanciful for any manager. McInnes should have left sooner. They've massively underachieved trophy wise over his whole period and in the league in the last 3 seasons. The rest of the time he just finished in the league where a team with that budget should finish, as Neilson did in his first spell with us and is doing this season.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We have a much better budget than two thirds of the top league......McInnes more often than not got into the league position that his budget suggested he should. 

If you’re going to find fault with McInnes you’re going to find fault with every manager in our range.

There are so few outstanding realistic candidates for the job that we are going to have to employ Mr Imperfect. McInnes is less of gamble for me. Also......his apparently  terrible Aberdeen side will more than likely still be playing in Europe next season due to their finishing league position......it’s been 6 years since we’ve finished Top 4.

McInnes will steady the ship and give it a decent rebuild imo....then we can hopefully look to the next level.

So did Neilson in his only seasons with us in the Premiership and his two seasons in the Championship. In fact, in his first season in the Championship our budget was lower than Hibs and Rangers so he overachieved. No-one could ever accuse McInnes of that. 

I agree about being able to find fault with every manager. McInnes lucked out at Aberdeen in my view. He's not been good when the league became competitive again and his cup record is atrocious.