Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

confirmed bottas is joining alfa for next year, paving the way for george russell to join mercedes

With any luck Russell I'll tell them, if he's that good then he'll overtake me, when the team tell him to move over and let Hamilton through.

SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

With any luck Russell I'll tell them, if he's that good then he'll overtake me, when the team tell him to move over and let Hamilton through.

It'll be interesting to see how Mercedes and Hamilton behave next season when Russell is there. A young, ambitious British driver who the British media won't be as accepting of being pushed aside for Hamilton's benefit.

Yesterday being another example where they boxed Bottas for "safety reasons" then told him not to go for the point for fastest lap because they wanted Hamilton to get it.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It would be funny but I can't see it somehow unless he fancies his stint at Mercedes to be a short one.

Just now, SectionDJambo said:

It'll be interesting to see how Mercedes and Hamilton behave next season when Russell is there. A young, ambitious British driver who the British media won't be as accepting of being pushed aside for Hamilton's benefit.

Yesterday being another example where they boxed Bottas for "safety reasons" then told him not to go for the point for fastest lap because they wanted Hamilton to get it.

If Russell can compete on pace and in the Championship I'm sure they'll give him every opportunity. Bottas didn't need that point yesterday, and he knew, hence why he aborted the run.

I'd imagine they'll continue to favour Lewis as Russell will probably drop the car into the wall too often to be in contention for the Championship. It'll be Max Vs Lewis again next year I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It would be funny but I can't see it somehow unless he fancies his stint at Mercedes to be a short one.

It would be great, but as you say, we all know it's not going to happen.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It would be great, but as you say, we all know it's not going to happen.

You never know certain, Russell may hit the ground running and they'll feel a pressure to let him race if he's in the hunt.

I just think he's too rash still to be consistent enough to compete with Max and Lewis.

It'll come for sure, but I think the idea is very much for him to take over from Lewis rather than take on Lewis. 

I hope Valtteri does well at Alfa, he comes across as a really nice guy imo.

Edited by Taffin

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

If Russell can compete on pace and in the Championship I'm sure they'll give him every opportunity. Bottas didn't need that point yesterday, and he knew, hence why he aborted the run.

I'd imagine they'll continue to favour Lewis as Russell will probably drop the car into the wall too often to be in contention for the Championship. It'll be Max Vs Lewis again next year I'm sure.

Bottas may have aborted his attempt, although he had still gone fastest, but he certainly wasn't happy about it. Similar has happened in the past, and you can understand it if it's for the team, but it must be hard for him to take when it's for one individual driver point. It could be said that Hamilton was due him something for taking out both Red Bulls recently, which left Hamilton an easy victory. This after Hamilton, himself, had taken out Max during the first lap at Silverstone. All accidental, but could be crucial come the end of the season. 

I think Russell might surprise us next season. He does have tendency to do daft things now and then, but he's shown by his "Mr Saturday" nickname that he can perform brilliantly too. His last drive in a Mercedes was messed up by the Mercedes pit crew when he was in a strong position in a strange car.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You never know certain, Russell may hit the ground running and they'll feel a pressure to let him race if he's in the hunt.

I just think he's too rash still to be consistent enough to compete with Max and Lewis.

It'll come for sure, but I think the idea is very much for him to take over from Lewis rather than take on Lewis. 

I hope Valtteri does well at Alfa, he comes across as a really nice guy imo.

i think they will view it as keep hamilton for another 2-3 years and use those years to get russell to be consistent at the front then move russell to the no 1 driver.

Just now, SectionDJambo said:

Bottas may have aborted his attempt, although he had still gone fastest, but he certainly wasn't happy about it. Similar has happened in the past, and you can understand it if it's for the team, but it must be hard for him to take when it's for one individual driver point. It could be said that Hamilton was due him something for taking out both Red Bulls recently, which left Hamilton an easy victory. This after Hamilton, himself, had taken out Max during the first lap at Silverstone. All accidental, but could be crucial come the end of the season. 

I think Russell might surprise us next season. He does have tendency to do daft things now and then, but he's shown by his "Mr Saturday" nickname that he can perform brilliantly too. His last drive in a Mercedes was messed up by the Mercedes pit crew when he was in a strong position in a strange car.

Yeh he definitely wasn't happy about it but I think he also knew it was the right thing to do hence backing off, but he also got his point across 😂. He's a excellent team mate even if he does let his frustration show at times, ultimately he knows he's not competing for the title even if the team let him so they've got to maximise the outcome for the team.

I hope Russell goes and excels straight off the bat, he was flying as you say last year in the car. I do think he's 2 or 3 years behind the curve of Verstappen though and has some of the same flaws to iron out as Max did. When he does, he'll be some replacement as the lead at Mercedes!!

RustyRightPeg

Worst known secret confirmed, Russell has the second Merc seat. 

Tsunoda and Gasly staying on too. 

Grid is looking like it’s going to have a lot of the same names on it next season. Second Alfa seat and Williams maybe the only seats looking like they’ll be open.

6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Grid is looking like it’s going to have a lot of the same names on it next season. Second Alfa seat and Williams maybe the only seats looking like they’ll be open.

talk of albon taking the williams seat

I P Knightley
20 hours ago, Taffin said:

I hope Russell goes and excels straight off the bat, he was flying as you say last year in the car. I do think he's 2 or 3 years behind the curve of Verstappen though and has some of the same flaws to iron out as Max did. When he does, he'll be some replacement as the lead at Mercedes!!

Pretty much my thoughts. Verstappen was raw and wild when he started out in F1 and it took a couple of years (and patience by RB) for him to mature. Russell's already had a couple of his formative years spent in Williams but it's bound to be different when you're in one of the two front-running cars.

I suspect his 2022 brief will be to act as Hamilton's wing man, doing what he can to shield Hamilton from Verstappen and then, with his 8th championship under his belt, Hamilton will step back.

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I thought that Latifi was the offspring of a billionaire and, much like Stroll and Mazespin, was guaranteed his seat due to the funding he brings to the team?

RustyRightPeg
11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Not if Toto gets his way, which with it being a merc seat is more than likely. 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, I P Knightley said:

I thought that Latifi was the offspring of a billionaire and, much like Stroll and Mazespin, was guaranteed his seat due to the funding he brings to the team?

Latifi will stay on but Russell has vacated the other seat today

14 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Wonder if someone (like Alfa with Ferrari engines) till take a punt on Mick Schumacher. Haas have gone backwards since the 2018-19 season and his name will attract sponsors. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Wonder if someone (like Alfa with Ferrari engines) till take a punt on Mick Schumacher. Haas have gone backwards since the 2018-19 season and his name will attract sponsors. 

Haas made it pretty public at the start of this season it was a write off for them. They were bedding NM and MS in and we’re fully focused on next season onwards with the big regulation changes. They should be more of a midfield team next season, especially with all the extra wind tunnel time they’ll get for finishing last in the constructors this year.

4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Haas made it pretty public at the start of this season it was a write off for them. They were bedding NM and MS in and we’re fully focused on next season onwards with the big regulation changes. They should be more of a midfield team next season, especially with all the extra wind tunnel time they’ll get for finishing last in the constructors this year.

Thanks - i was about to go look for info but that's saved me. 👍

If Haas are midfield, who drops further back ? 

10 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Not if Toto gets his way, which with it being a merc seat is more than likely. 

i wonder if nyck de vries will get a shot at that seat then

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Thanks - i was about to go look for info but that's saved me. 👍

If Haas are midfield, who drops further back ? 

Good question, Williams certainly look like they’ve made strides in the right direction but with Latifi being where he is in the order, is that how because of how good Russell is what remains to be seen. 

As much as I wouldn’t like it, it could be the likes of McLaren that slip back because of the progress they’ve made in the last couple of years, have they taken their eye off the future for the results now?

It’s all a bit open at the moment which I like. The unpredictability of regulation changes makes things exciting and despite how exciting the title race is going to be this season I’m already more excited about next season starting!  

23 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Perez falls in line completely behind Verstappen. Though the gap in ability helps as it has for Hamilton/Bottas. 

Nothing new. But certainly interesting. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Latifi will stay on but Russell has vacated the other seat today

Correct! I was confusing myself with Bottas going to Alfa, thinking it was Williams.

So, Kimi is dropping out, creates one space. Who else is dropping out at the end of the year?

RustyRightPeg
23 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Correct! I was confusing myself with Bottas going to Alfa, thinking it was Williams.

So, Kimi is dropping out, creates one space. Who else is dropping out at the end of the year?

May see a complete new line up at Alfa, whispers are Giovinazzi has 2 races to save his seat. 

Don't like Sprint qualifying but I'll be watching anyway. Prefer regular qualy.

Feels like a bit of a gimmick.

If they really wanted to shake it up I'd start the Sprint in reverse order of the championship standings so the big guys have to either fight through the grid on the Saturday or the Sunday. That still feels a bit manufactured though.

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't like Sprint qualifying but I'll be watching anyway. Prefer regular qualy.

Feels like a bit of a gimmick.

If they really wanted to shake it up I'd start the Sprint in reverse order of the championship standings so the big guys have to either fight through the grid on the Saturday or the Sunday. That still feels a bit manufactured though.

Hamilton must've heard you 😂

bottas wins the sprint with verstappen 2nd, ricciardo 3rd. hamilton finished 5th. they will all move up one place on the grid tomorrow as bottas starts from last due to changing his engine

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

😂😂

Not good for Mercedes that!

Smart tactics from McLaren which has really stuffed Hamilton's strategy for tomorrow. 

By the time he gets past that pair tomorrow Verstappen could be offski. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Smart tactics from McLaren which has really stuffed Hamilton's strategy for tomorrow. 

Yeh they got it spot on at McLaren.

Makes tomorrow really exciting I think, which is nice. Balls of steel from lando up the inside at the start too!

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh they got it spot on at McLaren.

Makes tomorrow really exciting I think, which is nice. Balls of steel from lando up the inside at the start too!

Aye Hamilton got mugged big time. 

Ricciardo, Norris and Gasly all piled past him

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

they did get a little bit of luck with the safety car or they would have been sitting ducks for the last couple of laps. in this case fortune favoured the brave

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

DRAMA!

Verstappen parked on top of Hamilton’s car. 

i need to see a replay but that looked like verstappens fault. the anger at the poor pitstop i think has caused that

Just now, milky_26 said:

i need to see a replay but that looked like verstappens fault. the anger at the poor pitstop i think has caused that

Brundle quite happy it was neither drivers fault. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Brundle quite happy it was neither drivers fault. 

the replay from outside (rather than the in car shot) does look like verstappen had the room and was pretty much alongside (more than 75% along it). i would now say it is a racing incident, but can understand if verstappen gets a penalty

Just now, milky_26 said:

the replay from outside (rather than the in car shot) does look like verstappen had the room and was pretty much alongside (more than 75% along it). i would now say it is a racing incident, but can understand if verstappen gets a penalty

Or you could say that Hamilton could have run a bit wider instead of staying so tight on the corner. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Or you could say that Hamilton could have run a bit wider instead of staying so tight on the corner. 

yep, brundle has just said that. it is a strange incident. the fact that we are debating both being at fault does suggest that racing incident might be the correct decision

Racing incident for me but if you had to blame someone Hamilton didn't leave him much room...but for me he left just enough.

As for Max's fault...

:cornette_dog:

(I'm bias so just joking...but don't really see what he did wrong either)

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Racing incident for me but if you had to blame someone Hamilton didn't leave him much room...but for me he left just enough.

As for Max's fault...

:cornette_dog:

(I'm bias so just joking...but don't really see what he did wrong either)

i am a max fan and it was on the first look it did seem like he might have threw it up wrongly. however yes more hamiltons fault.

that overtake by norris there seemed to be him saying to mercedes that he should have got the spot that russell did for next year

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Fingers crossed for McLaren. Two very likeable drivers that are great to watch. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bottas won it though. 

i feel norris has the pace on ricciardo. i just hope they dont take each other out

Just now, milky_26 said:

i am a max fan and it was on the first look it did seem like he might have threw it up wrongly. however yes more hamiltons fault.

that overtake by norris there seemed to be him saying to mercedes that he should have got the spot that russell did for next year

Tbf I was also thinking his rage from the pit was about to cause chaos 😂

I don't understand why Mercedes pitted Hamilton on the hard tyre so soon after. Max had an 11 second stop and in the blink of an eye Mercedes had pitted Hamilton into a position where Max was over taking him again. Not sure if I missed something in all the ensuing chaos!

Norris is great!