Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stuart McNeill

What a enjoyable race especially compared to Monaco. 

Could barely see the car at all behind Lewis because the heat coming off what seemed to be from his brakes. 

Whatever trips and turns the Drivers Championship takes, Red Bull looking good for the Constructors Championship. They'll take that. 

13 hours ago, Stuart McNeill said:

What a enjoyable race especially compared to Monaco. 

Could barely see the car at all behind Lewis because the heat coming off what seemed to be from his brakes. 

That was a good race. Vettel benefiting greatly but wonder if he's about to have a resurgence - def looked like he had got a grip of the Aston after some mixed performances. 

Also think Stroll is starting has been showing late in last season and into this one that he's more than paid for seat driver. 

2 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Also . Lando Norris is proving to be very consistent. 

he deserves a seat in a front running car next year. i doubt hamilton would want him to replace bottas as he would be more likely to beat hamilton, same with verstappen as perez looks like he is turning into the ideal no 2 driver. that woould leave ferarri but i doubt they will get rid of either of leclerc and sainz

SectionDJambo
20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

he deserves a seat in a front running car next year. i doubt hamilton would want him to replace bottas as he would be more likely to beat hamilton, same with verstappen as perez looks like he is turning into the ideal no 2 driver. that woould leave ferarri but i doubt they will get rid of either of leclerc and sainz

I agree with you on Red Bull and Ferrari. They both seem to have ideal partnerships after a few years of bad choices or expiring contracts. 

Hamilton, whilst obviously a very talented driver, enjoys being top dog at Mercedes despite all the attempts to try to say Bottas is treated equally. Hamilton wouldn't appreciate having a driver of high calibre in the other Mercedes. He'd say it wouldn't bother him, but it would. It's just a matter of time for Mercedes to replace Bottas, especially with Hamilton nearing retirement. Red Bull are becoming a big threat to the Constructors' Championship. Mercedes will need two top drivers to maintain their position.

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

I think McLaren will be best of the rest and I think that's about where Lando is at the moment. I'd like to see him and the team improve together to be front runners. 

I  wouldn't view Ferrari as a step up in terms of being a front runner. Bigger, yes. Better, no.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I agree with you on Red Bull and Ferrari. They both seem to have ideal partnerships after a few years of bad choices or expiring contracts. 

Hamilton, whilst obviously a very talented driver, enjoys being top dog at Mercedes despite all the attempts to try to say Bottas is treated equally. Hamilton wouldn't appreciate having a driver of high calibre in the other Mercedes. He'd say it wouldn't bother him, but it would. It's just a matter of time for Mercedes to replace Bottas, especially with Hamilton nearing retirement. Red Bull are becoming a big threat to the Constructors' Championship. Mercedes will need two top drivers to maintain their position.

Russell is supposed to be their development driver who can step up ? Would expect him to replace Bottas. 

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Russell is supposed to be their development driver who can step up ? Would expect him to replace Bottas. 

Yes

And he has already shown what he can do in a Mercedes. He was only undone by a disastrous pit stop.

3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes

And he has already shown what he can do in a Mercedes. He was only undone by a disastrous pit stop.

That was such a heartbreaking race for him. He was perfect that day. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This is shaping up nicely as one of those races that stop people watching F1. 

With tyre wear, you never know...

It's actually turning out to be an interesting race, imo. Verstappen should get it though unless his tyres quickly wear and Hamilton can nurse his through. Or a safety car...

Edited by redjambo

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's actually turning out to be an interesting race, imo. Verstappen should get it though unless his tyres quickly wear and Hamilton can nurse his through. Or a safety car...

Tactically interesting for the regular fans. 

Bottas, on his first chance to hold Verstappen up, goes wide. They need a new number 2.

Looks like Red Bull are taking the King Strategists title over from Mercedes.

Edited by redjambo

Stuart McNeill

Superb race day for red bull today maybe more so Mercedes ruining the race for both their drivers being the cause of it. 

But max has definitely stepped up and perez helping is making it more difficult for Mercedes compared to previous seasons 

Edited by Stuart McNeill

A great exciting Championship finally looked to be on the cards. 

But now its looking like it could be even more boring and predicable. 

I P Knightley
On 20/06/2021 at 15:17, redjambo said:

Bottas, on his first chance to hold Verstappen up, goes wide. They need a new number 2.

I reckon Merc will announce Russell at Silverstone.

Exciting restart.

Caused by Verstappen. Perez can thank him later. 

Edited by Mikey1874

34 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Exciting restart.

Caused by Verstappen. Perez can thank him later. 

it was a harsh penalty for norris

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I get the impression Perez and LeClerc won’t be going for a pint after the race. 

Was great to watch though

Lando is having a brilliant race! 

21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just gave Perez the same penalty. 

at least they were consistent. 

7 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Was great to watch though

Lando is having a brilliant race! 

just imagine if he did not get that harsh penalty

• 2 weeks later...
RustyRightPeg

Whispers coming out that Mercedes are gonna announce their intentions for Bottas in the next week or so.  

rossaldinho

Hopefully it'll be out in view for spectators to see. We're heading down tomorrow for the GP so wouldn't mind catching an eye of it!

Shanks said no
22 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The new sprint qualification this weekend. 

How does this work?

rossaldinho
6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

How does this work?

Qualifying on Friday sets the grid for the sprint race on Saturday. The final placings from the sprint race sets the grid for the race on Sunday. 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, rossaldinho said:

Qualifying on Friday sets the grid for the sprint race on Saturday. The final placings from the sprint race sets the grid for the race on Sunday. 

It just means that a superhuman effort (like George Russell making the top 10 in qualifying) will be eradicated as he'll lose places in the Saturday sprint. They might as well line up the cars from RB/Mercedes to Haas and save a load of fuel.

Top three in sprint qualifying earn points as well as track position for the big race.

I can't see how it makes race day or the championship any less dull.

46 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i like the look of the front wing and the front of the sidepods. i hope they look like that next year

It does look very smart. 

Hopefully there will be enough scope to change elements of the cars so teams can explore different aero packages/improvements. F1 needs to have enough space to allow teams to invest/adapt cars.

11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The new sprint qualification this weekend. 

Big hopes for this. 

I used to really enjoy the Friday & Sat qualification sessions back in the 90s. I hope it shakes some things up and encourages racing. 

42 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It just means that a superhuman effort (like George Russell making the top 10 in qualifying) will be eradicated as he'll lose places in the Saturday sprint. They might as well line up the cars from RB/Mercedes to Haas and save a load of fuel.

Top three in sprint qualifying earn points as well as track position for the big race.

It's a stupid idea that cheapens the weekend to something that you would see in Touring cars. What next, weight penalties? 

They should do what MotoGP used to do and have single lap qualifying. One warm up lap and one hot lap. Mess it up and you're stuffed. 

I P Knightley
13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It's a stupid idea that cheapens the weekend to something that you would see in Touring cars. What next, weight penalties? 

They should do what MotoGP used to do and have single lap qualifying. One warm up lap and one hot lap. Mess it up and you're stuffed. 

That's how F1 worked at some point when I followed it as a kid.

But TV will insist on something they can drag out for over an hour and fit in a bundle of ad breaks.

My appriach would be to have this sprint race if they want. Allocate points to the top 10 but then line up the race grid in reverse order.

Shanks said no

Thanks @rossaldinho and @Mikey1874

last few years I have recorded qualifying and fast forwarded to the last couple of minutes of each session. This might make it more interesting, surprising that it’s a 100km sprint. 

Shanks said no

Lando Norris was robbed at Wembley after attending the Euro2020 final, had his watch stolen. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

there was a season or two (maybe more) in the 90s/early 2000s where to make quali more interesting each driver got a time that they would be out to do their flying lap. it was awful because all it did was if you were unlucky to be out first you would be near the back as the track got faster or if it rained later in the session you got stuffed. i did like when i first started watching F1 it was one quali session and each driver could do 10-12 laps total. it added strategy to it, do you go for multiple single laps or come out and do multiple flying laps.

i feel this sprint racing should be done as an extra. ie practice and sprint race quali on friday, sprint race on saturday morning, then saturday afternoon back to quali for the race. the only good thing i can see that the sprint race will bring is flat out racing, however i can see some teams underfuelling to get ahead and then trying to hold station at the front ruining the spectacle

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I don't find it dull currently but part of that is because I also enjoy qualifying on the Saturday...much for the reason you state, someone can pull something out of the bag and put a cat amongst the pigeons to an extent for the Sunday.

Sprint qualy appeals to me zero. I hope it doesn't last.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Lando Norris was robbed at Wembley after attending the Euro2020 final, had his watch stolen. 

His £40,000 watch - as he approached his company car in a VIP car park. Jeezie peeps! I can't imagine what a £40,000 watch does but that's some haul to be getting away with. The muggers will be sick to learn that they left a £250k (or whatever) supercar behind.

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Thanks @rossaldinho and @Mikey1874

last few years I have recorded qualifying and fast forwarded to the last couple of minutes of each session. This might make it more interesting, surprising that it’s a 100km sprint. 

The great thing about digital recordings is that you can watch the whole thing at x4 or so and click play when you see the timing charts start to light up. Same with the race.

I've just figured that I've got to drive up the M40 to Birmingham on Saturday. Traffic's going to be crap, isn't it, with Silverstone being full to the brim. Grrr!! Earlier start than I'd have wanted.