Prince Buaben

Thoughts on the new car?

Looks hideous imo, the wheels are an eyesore but at the end of the day if the racing is good, who cares!?!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Thoughts on the new car?

Looks hideous imo, the wheels are an eyesore but at the end of the day if the racing is good, who cares!?!

We had an artist's impression last week which looked alright (but I don't think the artist was any good at doing wheels).

Is the full scale model available now?

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

We had an artist's impression last week which looked alright (but I don't think the artist was any good at doing wheels).

Is the full scale model available now?

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.gallery-a-first-look-at-the-life-size-2022-f1-car-after-drivers-get-up-close.4rJgGsK2iEWcY6jjKWVjv.html

2022-F1-Car-Silverstone-Grid.jpg

6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I don’t think it looks that bad. Not sure of the purpose of the wheels looking like that. Are the front wheels bigger than currently? 

Pretty sure the video presentation they did today to announce the new car spec said the tyres were bigger to allow improved heat dissipation and structural integrity.

9 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Pretty sure the video presentation they did today to announce the new car spec said the tyres were bigger to allow improved heat dissipation and structural integrity.

I would also hope that it was to increase mechanical grip to help cars to be able to follow more closely

10 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I don’t think it looks that bad. Not sure of the purpose of the wheels looking like that. Are the front wheels bigger than currently? 

The wheels have caps on them to reduce the amount of dirty air created for the car following and the wheels are now 18" compared to the old 13"...at front and back I believe.

It'll look better in team liveries I'm sure, but the wheels, the nose, and the wing are ugly. 

It looks a bit bloated on the whole to me. 

10 hours ago, Mysterion said:

20 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I would also hope that it was to increase mechanical grip to help cars to be able to follow more closely

I'm not sure the tyres are bigger, are they? They've gone to a low profile and an increased wheel size. I know there are changes to the tyres to deliver those things you mention but wasn't aware it was delivered through an increase in size. If so, they're going to look really odd as the overall car will be smaller and the tyres will be bigger...maybe why I find the car so odd looking 😂😂

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not sure the tyres are bigger, are they? They've gone to a low profile and an increased wheel size. I know there are changes to the tyres to deliver those things you mention but wasn't aware it was delivered through an increase in size. If so, they're going to look really odd as the overall car will be smaller and the tyres will be bigger...maybe why I find the car so odd looking 😂😂

Take a look at this short video. 

Wheel diameter has increased from 13 to 18"

Edited by Mysterion

39 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Take a look at this short video. 

Wheel diameter has increased from 13 to 18"

Yeh, I mentioned that in a previous post, but are the tyres bigger? I'm not sure they are, I though they've just decreased the tyre wall to suit

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, I mentioned that in a previous post, but are the tyres bigger? I'm not sure they are, I though they've just decreased the tyre wall to suit

It's the wheel size which has been increased.

There's no mention of a change to the tyre diameter/width - though it's unlikely they'll be identical to the current ones.

They are, apparently, heavier - so they can pass the Verstappen "Kick Deflection Test".

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

The wheels have caps on them to reduce the amount of dirty air created for the car following and the wheels are now 18" compared to the old 13"...at front and back I believe.

It'll look better in team liveries I'm sure, but the wheels, the nose, and the wing are ugly. 

It looks a bit bloated on the whole to me

There's perceptions for you. Apart from the tractor wheels on the front, I was thinking that it all looks a bit more pointy and purposeful. Still not as smart as my wee Fiat 500C, though :D

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

There's perceptions for you. Apart from the tractor wheels on the front, I was thinking that it all looks a bit more pointy and purposeful. Still not as smart as my wee Fiat 500C, though :D

If I ignore the front 3rd of the car (and don't look at the capped wheels) then I think it looks great. I just think the front wing is too big, the nose cone is bulbous and and the wheels and tyres, well, less said the better 😂😂

As you say, doesn't hold a candle to a Fiat 500C though 

Edit: you are talking about the one they showed yesterday? The older mock up from on here before I thought looked really cool.

Edited by Taffin

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

If I ignore the front 3rd of the car (and don't look at the capped wheels) then I think it looks great. I just think the front wing is too big, the nose cone is bulbous and and the wheels and tyres, well, less said the better 😂😂

As you say, doesn't hold a candle to a Fiat 500C though 

Edit: you are talking about the one they showed yesterday? The older mock up from on here before I thought looked really cool.

I saw it mocked up in Alfa livery so, of course, it looked 14 times better than anything else :D

rossaldinho

They've got the new car out on display here. I'll see if I can get a few decent pictures after qualifying of it up close and I'll upload them. 

rossaldinho
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

nice photos, did you get one of the rear wing from behind?

The back of it was up against the big screen so could only get it from the side, unfortunately. 

contact between hamilton and verstappen put verstappen into the wall at high speed and the race has been red flagged

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

contact between hamilton and verstappen put verstappen into the wall at high speed and the race has been red flagged

And Brundle tying himself in knots to clear Hamilton of any blame before the footage has even properly been looked at. 

The Mighty Thor

That's fecked the race as a spectacle. 

Saint Lewis of the Hamiltons will of course be blameless. 

button in not so many words hinting at it being hamiltons fault as hamilton missed the apex of the corner and verstappen was in front so had the corner.

brindle trying to blame cold tyres and full tank of fuel

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

button in not so many words hinting at it being hamiltons fault as hamilton missed the apex of the corner and verstappen was in front so had the corner.

brindle trying to blame cold tyres and full tank of fuel

I’ve said it before and it sounds faintly silly bearing in mind his record but Hamilton isn’t the great wheel to wheel racer he’s made out to be. He’s superb on a track with nobody in front and can get huge speed out of a car, but he generally gets in front from pole and holds it. A good example being the incidents with Albon when he was at Red Bull. Interesting that Horner says it’s not a corner that people try that move on. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

For me that was Hamilton's fault.

But Toto Wolff has sent an email with a drawing on it so everything is fine 👀

Like it or not Hamilton to blame...close but not quite close enough for the move attempted and that 'little' tap just shows you that at those speeds the consequences can be serious

Perhaps desperation to succeed at the British GP has perhaps led to this.  He was close but just not close enough though there was no intention to damage the Red Bull

This will take time to clear but good news is all seem well and if Max not 100% he is at least not suffering major injury

Another 15 minute delay to racing but both sides already pleading their case to stewards and you have to say it is interesting to hear and see just what happens behind the scenes 

A result of Hamilton being over pumped to win his home race combined with realising the championship is slipping away rapidly if he doesn’t get maximum points. 

Jambo-Jimbo
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve said it before and it sounds faintly silly bearing in mind his record but Hamilton isn’t the great wheel to wheel racer he’s made out to be. He’s superb on a track with nobody in front and can get huge speed out of a car, but he generally gets in front from pole and holds it. A good example being the incidents with Albon when he was at Red Bull. Interesting that Horner says it’s not a corner that people try that move on. 

Totally agree 100% and have thought the same for a long time, my old granny would have looked great if she was in one of the fastest cars & half a lap ahead of everyone else. 

The Mighty Thor
19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Hamilton is under pressure this season and he's not dealing it with it very well. 

I don't even think the Red Bull is as good a car as the Mercedes this season too, I think Verstappen is wringing the neck of it to get it where he has. 

Jambo-Jimbo

No reaction from Hamilton over the radio when his team told him he had a 10 second penalty, no moaning or complaining...................kinda says everything, he knew he was at fault for the crash.

helmut marko (red bull head honcho) calling for hamilton to get a one race suspension

A bit silly from him but I would also argue penalties need to be more nuanced depending on the offence. 10 seconds for causing an incident on a slow 50mph hairpin corner is a very different thing to doing it on a flat out 200mph corner. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

A bit silly from him but I would also argue penalties need to be more nuanced depending on the offence. 10 seconds for causing an incident on a slow 50mph hairpin corner is a very different thing to doing it on a flat out 200mph corner. 

yep, i potentially would have said a drive thru or stop and go penalty would have been more appropriate

The Mighty Thor

That penalty reeks.

It's almost like they want to ensure Hamilton has every chance to score heavily and keep the championship tight. 

leclerc having engine issues

That combined with Hamilton’s penalty potentially could mean a first win for Norris? 
Wishful thinking from me as I like Lando and think his performances merit a win at some point. 

Just now, Tazio said:

That combined with Hamilton’s penalty potentially could mean a first win for Norris? 
Wishful thinking from me as I like Lando and think his performances merit a win at some point. 

Haha. Just after I post this the commentators say the same. 

Verstappen off to hospital and Bottas ordered to let Hamilton past and Leclerc with a huffy car that might not make the race distance. 
A good day all round for Hamilton so far.