Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

And who coached him to be a player with 100 games who attacked the attention of these crack German coaches? Didn't his new manager say he can control games and is a good playmaker? So who made him that player?

I'm calling BS on all the what Neilson and Savage are supposed to have said to him. What they likely told him was the truth - he's got a bit to go and needs to work at his game to be an established Scottish Premiership player but he's got the opportunity at Hearts to push on.

The fact he had to drop down a couple of levels from the Premiership to get "first team football" pretty much proves they're right. Otherwise he'd have been snapped up by a better team. We saw from Langer and Avdijaj that the quality below the Bundesliga is not exactly stellar, and they came from a higher level than Irving's new team.

Good luck to him though. Great life move, and we'll find out if it's a good football move in time. If he drops out of Scotland U21 contention though....Other players have done it abroad recently - Henderson, Gauld - but none of them dropped to as low a level as this. 

Or that team paid the going rate for him, something clubs in Scotland perhaps couldn't afford.

Oh and he's dropped from Scottish Championship to German third tier.  Hardly drop of the centaury. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

1 minute ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Is it a way of avoiding a development fee when he's sold to Rangers in a year's time? It's kind of fishy. 

Not sure bud. Don’t think he’s actually good enough to get a move to the huns. 

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Utterly bizarre.

This, from a football perspective. But, ironically, his time at Hearts will ensure he'll always get a chance with a bottom half Premiership team back here if he decides Germany isn't for him or he doesn't get the games he wants. But he won't prove himself as a footballer by dropping down a level or two. Especially at this age and with the opportunity to establish yourself at Scotland's 3rd largest club. Very strange, it must be he simply fancies living abroad and is willing to put his football development second.

It's a very Tony MacDonald move and he's back at Caley already. As I say, great life move though. Always support players broadening their horizons.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Or that team paid the going rate for him, something clubs in Scotland perhaps couldn't afford.

Oh and he's dropped from Scottish Championship to German third tier.  Hardly drop of the centaury. 

No he's dropping from the Premiership. Hearts are a Premiership club. You might not realise this because you support Hibs.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

They play between stadiums including the best in Germany. 

Do they play at the Westfalen ?

19 minutes ago, Barack said:

Ultimately proved correct, as no-one from the UK were willing to pay it, & Andy's been left with his German Agency scratching around looking for a club.

Have no issue with Savage telling folk like it is. Hearts or not. 

Two things: Andy could have left for Barnsley before the start of last season, but rejected it. There was interest in from England this time, but was not his preferred destination.

I also have no problem with joe telling it like it is. Not sure that the discussion should have taken place in the car park at 1:15 before the dunfermline game when Jamie scored the winner though. I'd say unprofessional.

Can't blame the lad for leaving.  I don't think I'd enjoy playing for Neilson either.

Good luck to him.

F

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Two things: Andy could have left for Barnsley before the start of last season, but rejected it. There was interest in from England this time, but was not his preferred destination.

I also have no problem with joe telling it like it is. Not sure that the discussion should have taken place in the car park at 1:15 before the dunfermline game when Jamie scored the winner though. I'd say unprofessional.

That’s even more bizzare. He had the chance to sign for Barnsley but needed up in Germany playing for a nothing club? Just so strange. 

49 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

You missed out the most embarrassing defeat in our history and the cup defeat to Alloa. Easy done I suppose.🙄

**** off with yer pish will ya. Go take it to a RN out thread. This is about Irving not how we did or didnt do last season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

So he wants to go abroad and always has as he said in his interview? It's clearly as simple as that. 

Why all the attacks on the club? If this is true and you have a direct line to Irving, I very much doubt he repeated the conversations to you word for word. Calling BS. 

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Is it a way of avoiding a development fee when he's sold to Rangers in a year's time? It's kind of fishy. 

No we got a fee from them that we agreed on. 
Not sure if this club would do a deal with Rangers, if they wanted him they would just sign him or swap one of the wingers we are supposedly interested in. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure bud. Don’t think he’s actually good enough to get a move to the huns. 

Think Hearts will be the biggest club he ever plays for solely based on what I’ve seen but who knows. Interesting move though and a different experience for him

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Can't blame the lad for leaving.  I don't think I'd enjoy playing for Neilson either.

Good luck to him.

He played his best football under Neilson, broke into the Scotland U21s under Neilson, and earned his dream (apparently) move to the German 3rd tier under Neilson. So there's that. Maybe Neilson wants someone who really wants to test himself at a higher level?

15 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

@buzzbomb - presumably you're friends with Andy ?       Is this bit actually true  -

Joe told him he should sign because he'd done nothing, played against no one, hadn't won anything and no one would pay a fee for him, so sign.

Ultimately, what Robbie and Joe said made Andy's decision for him. Andy was looking for a half-decent offer (the 2nd one was fine) and a 'you're a valued member of the squad and will be a big part going forward'. That would have seen it signed in January.

So you're saying the 2nd offer was acceptable, and Andy's decision not to sign it was all down to Joe & Robbie not being "nice" enough to him ?

So he wants to go abroad and always has as he said in his interview? It's clearly as simple as that. 

Why all the attacks on the club? If this is true and you have a direct line to Irving, I very much doubt he repeated the conversations to you word for word. Calling BS. 

If I wanted to attack the club I'd say more. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, buzzbomb said:

Dont hold back. I take it your a relative?

39 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

German 3rd tier = SPL standard minus Rangers and Celtic. 

The reason Andy leaving is what he heard from Robbie and Joe. There was no real attempt to convince Andy that Hearts was the place for him to stay, play and develop. Robbie told him he still saw him as a development player and never did tell him the 'plan' he had for him that he mentioned in the EEN a few weeks back. Why not tell a laddie you see every day at training? 

Joe told him he should sign because he'd done nothing, played against no one, hadn't won anything and no one would pay a fee for him, so sign.

Andy only ever rejected one offer despite what was said in the press. Ann Budge was different class and did everything she could.

Ultimately, what Robbie and Joe said made Andy's decision for him. Andy was looking for a half-decent offer (the 2nd one was fine) and a 'you're a valued member of the squad and will be a big part going forward'. That would have seen it signed in January.

Disappointing the way it has ended up considering Andy has been going to Tynie since he was 2 and half and has been at the club since his 8th birthday. Anyway, that's professional football for you. 

Andy didn't 'hold the club to ransom', didn't have his head turned by agents, didn't think he was bigger than the club, the most un-billy big-time person. Just a normal, down to earth laddie trying to make a long-term career in football. 

Hearts removed the second offer weeks ago. Munchen came in a couple of weeks back and made Andy a very good offer. Union Berlin were keen to take him with a loan to a 2nd league club, but in the end Munchen were really keen and it seems like a good entry point into German football. Time will tell if this is the right move, but based upon what he heard, staying at Hearts wasn't.

Without getting into the semantics of your posts. He absolutely should not have been told he was a big part going forward not unless he fixes the poor aspects of his game. Anyone telling him that while there is glaring issues in his game would get ripped apart and rightly so. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Ah so you just release snippets? You literally told us what our very new SD supposedly said in great detail and called him unprofessional with zero actual proof, and you don't want to attack the club? Calling BS.

On top of that you think the German 3rd tier is comparable to everyone below Celtic and Rangers in Scotland. It's not. Irving's new team only just got promoted to that league in any case. Where did Marcel Langer come from incidentally. German 2d tier was it? 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Captain Sausage

About his level tbf. 

The fact that he struggled in the Scottish championship shows that - he’ll be at Falkirk within 2 years. 

I am not going to talk about the individual merits of each of the following players or whether they were good enough etc. But what I am concerned about is the number of youth players in the last few seasons that have been offered new/extended contracts and have chosen to go elsewhere - Irving, Cochrane, Leonard, McDonald, Morrison. There must be an underlying reason for this.

adambraejambo

If I being honest he would not be in my top 100 moments of being annoyed when a Hearts players left us. Makes no difference to me where he went but good for him for trying something new. Wish him all the best that goes without saying. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Arfur said:

I am not going to talk about the individual merits of each of the following players or whether they were good enough etc. But what I am concerned about is the number of youth players in the last few seasons that have been offered new/extended contracts and have chosen to go elsewhere - Irving, Cochrane, Leonard, McDonald, Morrison. There must be an underlying reason for this.

If you go back to Paterson, Walker and Nicholson it’s definitely a pattern, maybe this is a big part of Naismiths new job. 
My guess would be poor coaching. 

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ah so you just release snippets? You literally told us what our very new SD supposedly said in great detail and called him unprofessional with zero actual proof, and you don't want to attack the club? Calling BS.

On top of that you think the German 3rd tier is comparable to everyone below Celtic and Rangers in Scotland. It's not. Irving's new team only just got promoted to that league in any case. Where did Marcel Langer come from incidentally. German 2d tier was it? 

many games did Marcel play in the second tier? Doubt any. He was a youth player at Schalke. 85 million people in germany vs 6 million in scotland. Hmmm.. And look no further than our ex assistant to Stendel, who thought the SPL was the equivalent to the 3rd league in germany. No doubt you'll know better.

What proof do you want of what Joe said. A recording? 

Listen, if you don't want to believe it, fine. Go back into your wee Hearts bubble.

59 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

German 3rd tier = SPL standard minus Rangers and Celtic. 

The reason Andy leaving is what he heard from Robbie and Joe. There was no real attempt to convince Andy that Hearts was the place for him to stay, play and develop. Robbie told him he still saw him as a development player and never did tell him the 'plan' he had for him that he mentioned in the EEN a few weeks back. Why not tell a laddie you see every day at training? 

Andy only ever rejected one offer despite what was said in the press. Ann Budge was different class and did everything she could.

Disappointing the way it has ended up considering Andy has been going to Tynie since he was 2 and half and has been at the club since his 8th birthday. Anyway, that's professional football for you. 

Andy didn't 'hold the club to ransom', didn't have his head turned by agents, didn't think he was bigger than the club, the most un-billy big-time person. Just a normal, down to earth laddie trying to make a long-term career in football. 

Hearts removed the second offer weeks ago. Munchen came in a couple of weeks back and made Andy a very good offer. Union Berlin were keen to take him with a loan to a 2nd league club, but in the end Munchen were really keen and it seems like a good entry point into German football. Time will tell if this is the right move, but based upon what he heard, staying at Hearts wasn't.

👍 Cheers for posting. In the meantime the usual suspects who know zilch about the background at Hearts and even less about German football will continue to have a go at the lad. Shame Hearts have failed yet again to keep hold of a promising talent.

3 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

many games did Marcel play in the second tier? Doubt any. He was a youth player at Schalke. 85 million people in germany vs 6 million in scotland. Hmmm.. And look no further than our ex assistant to Stendel, who thought the SPL was the equivalent to the 3rd league in germany. No doubt you'll know better.

Listen, if you don't want to believe it, fine. Go back into your wee Hearts bubble.

It must be hard to be as bitter and negative as you and your chums are about the club.

When people tend to drone on endlessly with negative nonsense people tend to ignore anything they say.

I personally think the guy has been poorly advised and will be scrambling to find a club as high as Raith Rovers to play for again.

20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Dry yer eyes FFS. 

JamboAndrew

Happy he got an interesting move. Seems to have potential but time will tell.

Feels like it may pan out like that Scottish lad in the Italian second division that was with the wee team for a while. Folk who seem to know him says he loves it. Less pressure and getting paid to live the dream in italy.

Good on him. Wish I had that chance at his age.

Just now, frankblack said:

It must be hard to be as bitter and negative as you and your chums are about the club.

When people tend to drone on endlessly with negative nonsense people tend to ignore anything they say.

I personally think the guy has been poorly advised and will be scrambling to find a club as high as Raith Rovers to play for again.

Guys post background details on why yet another player fails to resign at the club and gets called out as "bitter & negative".  :facepalm:

David Black
20 minutes ago, Arfur said:

The reason is that over that period of time the only person who showed he could improve and develop players was Stendal.

Rarely does this type of move work out.  I look forward to playing against him in the cup when he’s at Alloa in a couple years time.

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Guys post background details on why yet another player fails to resign at the club and gets called out as "bitter & negative".  :facepalm:

Its always Hearts fault.  It just not fair!

giphy.gif

Need to laugh at some of these comments about Andy Irving see him in a couple years at Falkirk or Alloa 😂

Is this this the same player weeks ago fans were wanting to see him sign a contract ? Opinions change pretty fast ?

The amount of stick Robbie gets and no support from fans maybe Andy was the same as the fans and never wanted to play under him or have faith in him developing him as a footballer ?

Also on another thread someone moans about Robbie not improving players maybe Andy thought this about himself and he isn’t the right manager to take him forward in his career ? 

Good luck Andy hope the move works out for you 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Need to laugh at some of these comments about Andy Irving see him in a couple years at Falkirk or Alloa 😂

Is this this the same player weeks ago fans were wanting to see him sign a contract ? Opinions change pretty fast ?

The amount of stick Robbie gets and no support from fans maybe Andy was the same as the fans and never wanted to play under him or have faith in him developing him as a footballer ?

Also on another thread someone moans about Robbie not improving players maybe Andy thought this about himself and he isn’t the right manager to take him forward in his career ? 

Good luck Andy hope the move works out for you 👍🏻

The German 3rd Division to improve yourself as a player at his age - have a word.

Just now, frankblack said:

The German 3rd Division to improve yourself as a player at his age - have a word.

He maybe had no other offers on the table and isn’t afraid to go abroad unlike many young Scottish footballers who shit it in life and go around lower league football in Scotland ? . 

Imagine having a contract offer at work 2/3 years to work for someone he may not like ? Could be the situation ? 

Just looks like some fans did care about him and wanted him to say but slagging off the 3rd league in Germany and laughing at his choice is the easy way to pretend your not bothered 😂 I’m sure the lad isn’t fussed in the slightest about what posters from the kickback think of him who have never been anywhere close to being a professional footballer like himself 😂

40 minutes ago, sadj said:

Without getting into the semantics of your posts. He absolutely should not have been told he was a big part going forward not unless he fixes the poor aspects of his game. Anyone telling him that while there is glaring issues in his game would get ripped apart and rightly so. 

Yeah 

Are all the people saying how great he is, how he is unrivaled for his vision and passing. All these people want us to be in another relegation scrap. 

18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't think much the club does in your eyes, mate, IS professional. After the Hickey saga where you had plenty to offer, from a seemingly family/close family friend pov. And now Irving.

Which is fine. But you're coming from a biased pov, which is also fine. But expect folk to challenge your assertions.

As for Savage, again...couldn't care where he tells folk they're not the required standard. People at Hearts need reality checks. And Andy, or Andrew's as he's known now on Hearts' main page, performances were sub-par for a wee while. If he got the hump from what was said to him and let his performances sag further, than it's a vindication of harsh realities set out.

He won't be the first, or last. I'll bow out, as I've a feeling others will be wanting their say too. 

High standards. 

Or a nice friendly suit yourselves place. 

People slag Ann Budge for being nice and friendly. 

He maybe had no other offers on the table and isn’t afraid to go abroad unlike many young Scottish footballers who shit it in life and go around lower league football in Scotland ? . 

Imagine having a contract offer at work 2/3 years to work for someone he may not like ? Could be the situation ? 

Done that before, but I would try and get a better move when the chance arose than take a step down.  Footballers do that by improving and attracting interest from other clubs.

Just looks like some fans did care about him and wanted him to say but slagging off the 3rd league in Germany and laughing at his choice is the easy way to pretend your not bothered 😂 I’m sure the lad isn’t fussed in the slightest about what posters from the kickback think of him who have never been anywhere close to being a professional footballer like himself 😂

I would have been happy enough for him to stay and show the commitment to improve, and find this move very bizarre.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Done that before, but I would try and get a better move when the chance arose than take a step down.  Footballers do that by improving and attracting interest from other clubs.

I would have been happy enough for him to stay and show the commitment to improve, and find this move very bizarre.

Spot on. 

Just…odd. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

No he's dropping from the Premiership. Hearts are a Premiership club. You might not realise this because you support Hibs.

He's dropping from playing in the Championship.  He rejected a new deal to play for us in the Premiership.  Do keep up. 

Good luck to him but there is a good chance we were the biggest club he will play for. Was never suited to Scottish football and will never get a game for anyone while he can't run or tackle.

Why should the club give decent offers to players they know won't be regular starters ? Better he left and better we try someone new. We can't get better giving contracts to players who have been pretty average for a while.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Dont get me wrong, nothing against the lad, he was a nice player going one way, but he has done well to get 58 pages. In the nicest possible way, dont want to be snidey, I dont think he will be missed. 

Had he stayed, he did require a fair bit of rounding, we wish him well and hope he gets the coaching I think he needs, if he wasnt going to get that with us, that is far more disappointing than any monetary compensation.

3 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Hearts will be the pinnacle of his career.

Shame that.

An even bigger shame is the number of our players that this statement applies to in general.

Guest ToqueJambo
37 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

Stendel? That renowned expert on Scottish football. If that was his view that maybe explains a lot about his time with us. Name one player comparable to, say, Craig Gordon playing in the German 3rd tier. How many internationalists are there playing there? Without using wikipedia.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

An even bigger shame is the number of our players that this statement applies to in general.

What's wrong with Hearts being the pinnacle of your career exactly?

Stendel? That renowned expert on Scottish football. If that was his view that maybe explains a lot about his time with us. Name one player comparable to, say, Craig Gordon playing in the German 3rd tier. How many internationalists are there playing there? Without using wikipedia.

Stendel has at least worked in Scotland and germany. Unlike yourself.

I'm sure if they wanted to attract a 39 year old closer to the end of his career than the beginning they would. 

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

What's wrong with Hearts being the pinnacle of your career exactly?

Probaby phrased that wrongly, nothing wrong with that for most of our departing players, but the number who leave thinking/expecting that they will reach a higher pinnacle compared to the number who actually DO is quite alarming.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

It's a strange move so worth discussing. Not made for football reasons IMO, backed up by Irving's comments. He's doing a Tony MacDonald and trying something different at an age when he should be able to get a move back here pretty easily if it doesn't go the way he wants, as with MacDonald. Difference is Irving is throwing away a first team place at a bigger club so it's an odd one. Time will tell.

The ironic thing is - given all the slagging Hearts are getting on here over this - if it doesn't work out, it'll be his time at Hearts that earns him a club back here, just as it did MacDonald.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, buzzbomb said:

Stendel has at least worked in Scotland and germany. Unlike yourself.

I'm sure if they wanted to attract a 39 year old closer to the end of his career than the beginning they would. 

How do you know I haven't worked in Germany? I've worked all over. Stendel under-estimated Scottish football IMO, and your comment simply backs that up.

39 minutes ago, Barack said:

Don't think much the club does in your eyes, mate, IS professional. After the Hickey saga where you had plenty to offer, from a seemingly family/close family friend pov. And now Irving.

Which is fine. But you're coming from a biased pov, which is also fine. But expect folk to challenge your assertions.

As for Savage, again...couldn't care where he tells folk they're not the required standard. People at Hearts need reality checks. And Andy, or Andrew's as he's known now on Hearts' main page, performances were sub-par for a wee while. If he got the hump from what was said to him and let his performances sag further, than it's a vindication of harsh realities set out.

He won't be the first, or last. I'll bow out, as I've a feeling others will be wanting their say too. 

I had plenty to say re Hickey as he was being vilified on here for maybe going to celtic when he wasn't even going to celtic. 

I'm not biased, if anyone has blinkers on it's people on here. 

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Guys post hearsay and rumours on why yet another player fails to resign at the club and gets called out as "bitter & negative".  :facepalm:

FTFY

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )