January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

What's happening re Findlay?? 

Confident 👍🏻 Not heard it’s 100% done yet but seeing positive signs on here from a few 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The points regarding our academy are spot on,our young boys are spoilt rotten.

Compared to say Motherwells young lads who have a real football education. 

Who is Rodger Arnott and what is his credentials?I dont say that to be a prick I just dont know.

I'd feel much better with somebody like Sandy Clark or Donald Park booting baws ,or even better Darren Murray.

Agreed, think we will see a bit of a revamp on the academy side. Ultimate aim is to bring through and sell players like hickey it’s just happening very too little 

9 minutes ago, OTT said:

I made a post in another thread about this. The results from the academy haven't been acceptable, yes it was gutted prior to Levein/Budges arrival but has since produced the sum total of **** all in 7 years. I'm half wondering if Irving is more luck than success. I.e throw enough shit at the wall and it will eventually stick. 

I think we badly need a change of direction at the academy. Its supposed to be a results driven industry and we've produced nothing. I think we need to get the most qualified person we can - Brian McClair apparently lives in Stockbridge and headed up Manchester Utds academy for close to a decade and has had roles at the SFA, he's on our ****ing doorstep ffs. From a parents perspective, an academy under his stewardship would be a no brainer and I think its time to change things up. Its apparent our current plan isn't working, Cochrane and McDonald were supposed to be quality players and neither was able to make the step up (or was given enough of a chance) Currie, Morrison, Moore, Henderson, Zanatta, Godinho, Baur, McClean, McKirdy, Beith etc. all haven't been able to make the step up either, in the same time frame, Motherwell for example have brought through Erwin, Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Scott and a few others (plus sold a couple of youngsters to clubs down south). 

This isn't la liga, or Serie A or even the English Championship. We should have done an awful lot better the last couple of years and IMO its necessary to look at our options on the academy front and do what we can to improve it. 

Not disputing a word of the above but why has BM been unemployed for so long?

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Not disputing a word of the above but why has BM been unemployed for so long?

No clue, left the SFA in 2016, so been out of the game for about 5 years. Worth looking at though IMO. 

We need results and he headed up one of the top 5 biggest clubs in the worlds academy for nearly a decade. If we could get him in it would be an absolute coup. 

9 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Confident 👍🏻 Not heard it’s 100% done yet but seeing positive signs on here from a few 

See that Paul Slane saying again on open goal that’s he’s coming to us 

Andy Halliday was not giving much away 

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

I made a post in another thread about this. The results from the academy haven't been acceptable, yes it was gutted prior to Levein/Budges arrival but has since produced the sum total of **** all in 7 years. I'm half wondering if Irving is more luck than success. I.e throw enough shit at the wall and it will eventually stick. 

I think we badly need a change of direction at the academy. Its supposed to be a results driven industry and we've produced nothing. I think we need to get the most qualified person we can - Brian McClair apparently lives in Stockbridge and headed up Manchester Utds academy for close to a decade and has had roles at the SFA, he's on our ****ing doorstep ffs. From a parents perspective, an academy under his stewardship would be a no brainer and I think its time to change things up. Its apparent our current plan isn't working, Cochrane and McDonald were supposed to be quality players and neither was able to make the step up (or was given enough of a chance) Currie, Morrison, Moore, Henderson, Zanatta, Godinho, Baur, McClean, McKirdy, Beith etc. all haven't been able to make the step up either, in the same time frame, Motherwell for example have brought through Erwin, Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Scott and a few others (plus sold a couple of youngsters to clubs down south). 

This isn't la liga, or Serie A or even the English Championship. We should have done an awful lot better the last couple of years and IMO its necessary to look at our options on the academy front and do what we can to improve it. 

We’ve not produced **** all in seven years, we’ve produced a number of pro footballers. Quite a lot not at the level we need but that’s true of every clubs youth system. The high expectations from our support probably comes from the club. 

jamboinglasgow
16 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The points regarding our academy are spot on,our young boys are spoilt rotten.

Compared to say Motherwells young lads who have a real football education. 

Who is Rodger Arnott and what is his credentials?I dont say that to be a prick I just dont know.

I'd feel much better with somebody like Sandy Clark or Donald Park booting baws ,or even better Darren Murray.

A lot of sweeping statements there, what makes you say our youngsters are spoilt and whats Motherwells "real football education"

8 minutes ago, OTT said:

If done correctly and we go to the nth degree when deciding on issuing that kind of contract I have no problem with it. Obviously, a lack of caution has cost Scottish clubs dearly over the years. I suspect we'd be hard pressed to ever do that though, probably worried about causing friction within the squad or whatever. 

A very heartless decision tbh. Like, right now, he's not good enough to play top flight football for a club looking at top 4, fine. However, he's also much younger and IMO a damn sight better than Frear and Roberts. I'd personally have much preferred to have seen Lewis given a chance this season when it became clear neither Frear nor Roberts were good enough. Who knows how much confidence Stendel had managed to instil in him prior to him leaving? I suppose its not unfair to say Robbie had probably destroyed the poor laddies confidence. 

Part of youth development is giving youth a chance. Going out and signing two gash wingers with no sell on value when you have one already there is a bit disappointing to see. Neither of Robbies signings there have brought anything to the table Moore couldn't have. Arguably, with Moores age he could have brought more enthusiasm which might have spurred him on a bit. 

Anyway, right decision but feel that the wrong reasons are behind it. Should have been given the opportunity to fail under Robbie instead of being forced away whilst he tried to make his two shite signings work. I really, really hope the laddie bounces back from this and makes it his mission to prove Robbie wrong. 

Moore will be 23 at the end of the season and has been in and around the first team on and off for five years. He's not a youth player anymore.

As for the point about Frear and Roberts, Euan Henderson has played 8 times this season and now appears to be ahead of both of them in the pecking order. He's a couple of years younger than Moore and has presumably shown more in training.

I'd put Moore in a similar category to David Smith, who had similar comments about him when he left. A trier who had a couple of decent moments but ultimately didn't have the talent to make it at Hearts. Incidentally, I see Smith plays in the juniors these days.

Moore seems like a smart young guy and I hope it works out for him at Arbroath, but it's not heartless to release players who aren't good enough at 22. That's football.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We’ve not produced **** all in seven years, we’ve produced a number of pro footballers. Quite a lot not at the level we need but that’s true of every clubs youth system. The high expectations from our support probably comes from the club. 

Taking 2 games at the weekend

Rangers, strolling the league, had one academy player (McGregor) in their starting XI while Hearts, ahead in the Championship, had 3 (Gordon, Irving and Henderson).

Just a small point of interest but it might suggest we are not alone -  although we can certainly do better.

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

A lot of sweeping statements there, what makes you say our youngsters are spoilt and whats Motherwells "real football education"

Would love to know too

Poster being very authorative , as if he knows 'stuff' . Maybe he does

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's almost like players like Moore were given their debuts to prove some sort of point that the Academy was actually generating first team ready players. The truth is he's just the latest in a long line of players who were never good enough.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's almost like players like Moore were given their debuts to prove some sort of point that the Academy was actually generating first team ready players. The truth is he's just the latest in a long line of players who were never good enough.

They were.

The whole set up was a vanity project.

FFS we played Daniel Baur in a game.

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Rangers, strolling the league, had one academy player (McGregor) in their starting XI while Hearts, ahead in the Championship, had 3 (Gordon, Irving and Henderson).

Just a small point of interest but it might suggest we are not alone -  although we can certainly do better.

Rangers have good youths at moment, we have very little to shout about.

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think we should always look to push on as a club and do better but I think folk expect too much. If you look at last season we had Hickey as the big success story. This year it’s Irving. We have also had Henderson and Moore feature fairly regularly at times over the last season or so. When Morherwell played rangers last week they had 1 player who came through the youth system in the starting line up (Campbell). I think if we can average a youth player every season or so becoming a first team regular we’ll be doing better than most clubs of a similar size. 

6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Which is the same for almost every club with a youth system. Most of the players who go on to become pros do so at a lower level than the club they came through the ranks at. 

6 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

They were.

The whole set up was a vanity project.

FFS we played Daniel Baur in a game.

He was great in 24 !

Leveins Battalion

Rangers youths end up at us,Hagen,Pressley,Mcswegan.

I’d expect that to change with Michael Beale there now though,top class youth coach and talent spotter.

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Would love to know too

Poster being very authorative , as if he knows 'stuff' . Maybe he does

Exactly, if he knows stuff I would be interested to hear it. 

1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Rangers youths end up at us,Hagen,Pressley,Mcswegan.

I’d expect that to change with Michael Beale there now though,top class youth coach and talent spotter.

Rangers and Celtic have had the best resources in the country for years for developing youth players but have never consistently managed to produce first team players for themselves. I’m sceptical of that changing. 

16 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Rangers have good youths at moment, we have very little to shout about.

I don't think I suggested we did have anything to shout about.

Rangers may have good youths but they're not in or around the first team except for less shallenging games.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

If done correctly and we go to the nth degree when deciding on issuing that kind of contract I have no problem with it. Obviously, a lack of caution has cost Scottish clubs dearly over the years. I suspect we'd be hard pressed to ever do that though, probably worried about causing friction within the squad or whatever. 

A very heartless decision tbh. Like, right now, he's not good enough to play top flight football for a club looking at top 4, fine. However, he's also much younger and IMO a damn sight better than Frear and Roberts. I'd personally have much preferred to have seen Lewis given a chance this season when it became clear neither Frear nor Roberts were good enough. Who knows how much confidence Stendel had managed to instil in him prior to him leaving? I suppose its not unfair to say Robbie had probably destroyed the poor laddies confidence. 

Part of youth development is giving youth a chance. Going out and signing two gash wingers with no sell on value when you have one already there is a bit disappointing to see. Neither of Robbies signings there have brought anything to the table Moore couldn't have. Arguably, with Moores age he could have brought more enthusiasm which might have spurred him on a bit. 

Anyway, right decision but feel that the wrong reasons are behind it. Should have been given the opportunity to fail under Robbie instead of being forced away whilst he tried to make his two shite signings work. I really, really hope the laddie bounces back from this and makes it his mission to prove Robbie wrong. 

:cornette:

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Yeah, good points.

To be fair, it's not just the academy that's been poor over the last 5 or so years!

It looks like we can get kids to a certain level but can't take them to the next level. Have great facilities and probably spend quite a bit on it but what's the point if its not producing anything. 

33 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Exactly - I have always thought there was an intrinsic problem with our recruitment. If we want the academy to produce for us that has to change. Who makes the decisions there?  I know than one of Leveins big mates had some sort of post there involving “recruitment”. Is he still in post?

1 hour ago, OTT said:

It feels to me that the Academy is producing a ratio of roughly 80:20 in favour of developing players for lower league clubs, rather than our own first team. 

I'm not suggesting that we would be able to reverse that ratio but surely 50:50 could be achievable? 

6 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Halliday gave the game away on open goal. SF on route.

Did he give enough away to reveal if it's a loan this season or FoC next season?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, iainmac said:

It feels to me that the Academy is producing a ratio of roughly 80:20 in favour of developing players for lower league clubs, rather than our own first team. 

I'm not suggesting that we would be able to reverse that ratio but surely 50:50 could be achievable? 

Probably the same result for most academies?

Look at some of the dross Man United or Man City loan out.

On Moore not sure why he didn't get a chance, played very well against Rangers and Hibs, surprised me he was beginning to compete.

However if GMS is the level, not that he has shown it yet, seems a fair step forward. 

Frear and Roberts were really only ever job players for a year 

Having seen the academy kids training in a fair few sessions upto the age of about 12-14 i would say they are excellent.

Constant movement, direct passing on the ground, hard working and no short measure of skill

They also get the benefit of things like videos showing their individual performance and areas they want to focus and develop.

The setup is very professional.

The issue I think is a combination of things. For one, having to completely build from the bottom up since 2014 has taken along time as you cant just skip the foundation years.

I also believe that when young players hit the first team the style they play isnt how the old players play. Irving, Cochrane and Hickey are prime examples of playing short, sharp, quick passes into feet in tight spaces because they have the confidence and skill (lacking the strength perhaps) to deal with it, yet older players dont have that and revert to booting it.

We need a decent volume of them in the team mixed with experienced quality players and a manager to play to how the whole academy is setup, otherwise what is the point.

Edited by Jamboelite

Neil Dongcaster
11 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Was it not Paul Slane who mentioned it? 

Could tell by AH fake ‘I don’t know anything’ reaction.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

He's not been given a chance because he is not good enough.

It's as simple as that. He is lower championship level at best. 

Nothing against the lad and I wish him well.

Yup in a nutshell.

No real surprise re Moore.

Robbie's never knowingly shown any interest in player development in his managerial career to date. It's all spend, spend, spend.

Who gave Moore the contract in the summer?

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Having seen the Academy kids training in a fair few sessions upto the age of about 12-14 i would say they are excellent.

Constant movement, direct passing on the ground, hard working and no short measure of skill

They also get videos showing their individual performance and areas they want to focus and develop.

The setup is professional.

The issue I think a combination of things, for one, having to completely build from the bottom up since 2014.

I also believe that when young players hit the first team the style they play isnt how the old players play. Irving, Cochrane and Hickey are prime examples of playing short, sharp, quick passes into feet in tight spaces because they have the confidence and skill (lacking the strength perhaps) to deal with it, yet older players dont have that and revert to booting it.

We need a decent volume of them in the team and a manager to play to how the whole Academy is setup, otherwise what is the point.

There has been an issue at Hearts for quite a few years on how do you get talented academy players into the first team and able to play and develop. Levein spent five years trying to get it working but never happened. So will be interested to see how we manage. I think there is always a pressure on a first team that needs to win that means youngsters that come in have to sink or swim which suits some players but others can be lost to football as they are not the time to build up.

But it is also a wider problem with Scottish football. Scottish youth players have often compared favourably to those in other countries, matching technique and ability, but then they are left behind by other countries from aged 16 plus. 

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Cut The Crap said:

No real surprise re Moore.

Robbie's never knowingly shown any interest in player development in his managerial career to date. It's all spend, spend, spend.

Who gave Moore the contract in the summer?

The same Robbie that played Holt,Nicholson,Paterson,Walker,King,Oliver,aye sound.👍

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Did he give enough away to reveal if it's a loan this season or FoC next season?

He gave nothing away tbh.

I find it baffling that people are surprised or disappointed Moore is being let go. He's a trier but unfortunately just not good enough. 

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Exactly, if he knows stuff I would be interested to hear it. 

That makes at least 3 of us , so far

Guest ToqueJambo

New manager comes in and doesn't rate Moore. It's no big deal, happens all the time. Hopefully he can find a club.

It's all about clearing the decks and making space for players more likely to contribute something in the short or long term.

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Apprentice

I could be wrong but didn’t Robbie give Lewis Moore his debut? If there’s anyone who knows the lad and his ability its Neilson. 

1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

Having seen the academy kids training in a fair few sessions upto the age of about 12-14 i would say they are excellent.

They also get the benefit of things like videos showing their individual performance and areas they want to focus and develop.

The setup is very professional.

The issue I think is a combination of things. For one, having to completely build from the bottom up since 2014 has taken along time as you cant just skip the foundation years.

We need a decent volume of them in the team mixed with experienced quality players and a manager to play to how the whole academy is setup, otherwise what is the point.

Interesting post, I felt mine was unfortunately packed with negativity towards the current youth set up, so its nice to read that its not necessarily the case that there is a huge problem. Could it be that we're failing to integrate young players into the first team effectively then? 

I think a lot of our youngsters technically speaking have been sound, Henderson looks good with the ball at his feet, like you say Irving and Cochrane both very tidy footballers. McDonald too, and Morrison looked like he was maybe just missing an end product. McGill looks good so far too. 

There is something in teams with solid foundations in youth development where they seem to manage the youngsters transition into the first team really well. Ajax for example produce season after season of numerous youngsters capable of playing at a much higher level where there is demand for success. Obviously, they have pretty close to a blank cheque on signing young players, but nonetheless, they still have to manage the youngsters transition from u21s to senior football. I know the OF have been banging on about Colt teams for a long time, and I do wonder if this would be something we could seriously benefit from. 

I hope its something the club are looking at, because whilst I do understand that the youth set up had been gutted and as you say it does take time to rebuild from there but I would have thought we'd have began to see the results by now and I'm not keen to continue to wait in hope much longer if something does need to be changed. 

55 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

I find it baffling that people are surprised or disappointed Moore is being let go. He's a trier but unfortunately just not good enough. 

For me, its not about that. Its about Frear and Roberts not being good enough either. I want to see us looking to our academy first before the transfer market, and it doesn't look like thats happened. When it became clear neither Frear or Roberts were good enough, that was the time to let Moore have a few games to see if he was able to showcase something to warrant keeping him further. I'm irritated by Robbies reluctance to give the lad that chance. 

Its worth maybe saying, Moore isn't a terrible footballer, he didn't shy away and Stendel did seem to have him starting to look decent. 

If Robbies first instinct is to immediately look to the transfer market for a senior player rather than look to promote a youngster then we haven't learned a thing from Levein. We got caught in short termism in the transfer market and suffered badly for it. If we finished 5th next season but rely heavily on youth then it sets us up well for the following season for a stronger finish (IMO). I'd far rather see youngsters given the opportunity to play for Hearts than some 5th rate journeyman from the English lower leagues. 

I think we're  being a bit unfair in how we judge our academy players, especially when  we look at the number of experienced signings who don't exactly set the heather on fire.

For example -

Frear  &  Roberts  v  Moore & Morrison

Frear has 2 goals and 1 assist in 11 games

Roberts  has 0 goals and 1 assist in 10 games

Moore has 0 goals and 1 assist in 8 matches

Morrison played nearly 20 games ....  maybe 1 or 2 goals and a few asists.

Much of a muchness really - except our coaches seem to expect our 20 yearolds to have better stats than these (while not giving them much first team game time) - and don't seem to be willing to coach them on how to improve any further.

Begs the question - at what age does 1-to-1 active coaching stop  for  young players, and the assumption that they'll not improve any more takes over   ?   

29 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

I could be wrong but didn’t Robbie give Lewis Moore his debut? If there’s anyone who knows the lad and his ability its Neilson. 

Yes - you're right. Last game in our first season back in the Premiership (2016).

48 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

New manager comes in and doesn't rate Moore. It's no big deal, happens all the time. Hopefully he can find a club.

It's all about clearing the decks and making space for players more likely to contribute something in the short or long term.

Like Frear and Roberts....genius.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Like Frear and Roberts....genius.

Short term, budget related. Needs a bit of context. 

Ginnelly and Mackay Steven would be alternative view