January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Short term, budget related. Needs a bit of context. 

Ginnelly and Mackay Steven would be alternative view 

The poster I replied to talked about the short term.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

People are acting like Robbie decided to bring in players with prior knowledge they'd be worse than Moore!! This thread has gone full on tits mental

He didn't fancy Moore, so he signed 3 guys he thought would be better, 4 if we then include GMS. 2 of them clearly are. The 2 others may have been. The end. The actual end. Should he have just gone with the boy he didn't rate??

Anyone using letting Moore go as a stick to beat Robbie with needs to seriously take a look at themselves and work out what their real issue is!

Or at least pick your battles better.

All the best to Lewis, but he isn't good enough for us unfortunately. I bet you this.if Daniel had stayed, he'd have utilised Moores energy for rest of last season and then replaced him this season.

Anyway not a go at Lewis, always tried, reached a higher level than 99.9% of all us kids who wanted to be footballers. Best of luck to the boy.

36 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I think we're  being a bit unfair in how we judge our academy players, especially when  we look at the number of experienced signings who don't exactly set the heather on fire.

For example -

Frear  &  Roberts  v  Moore & Morrison

Frear has 2 goals and 1 assist in 11 games

Roberts  has 0 goals and 1 assist in 10 games

Moore has 0 goals and 1 assist in 8 matches

Morrison played nearly 20 games ....  maybe 1 or 2 goals and a few asists.

Much of a muchness really - except our coaches seem to expect our 20 yearolds to have better stats than these (while not giving them much first team game time) - and don't seem to be willing to coach them on how to improve any further.

Begs the question - at what age does 1-to-1 active coaching stop  for  young players, and the assumption that they'll not improve any more takes over   ?   

Moore and Morrison have roughly 50 first team starts between them, roughly 100 first team appearances between and they share one goal between them. No idea re assists but from memory not that many. Neither have shown they have what it takes at first team level despite being given sufficient opportunities. 

25 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

I think we're  being a bit unfair in how we judge our academy players, especially when  we look at the number of experienced signings who don't exactly set the heather on fire.

For example -

Much of a muchness really - except our coaches seem to expect our 20 yearolds to have better stats than these (while not giving them much first team game time) - and don't seem to be willing to coach them on how to improve any further.

Begs the question - at what age does 1-to-1 active coaching stop  for  young players, and the assumption that they'll not improve any more takes over   ?   

I think the problem is that they identified rightly that the calibre of winger we had, Moore, wasn’t good enough for how he wanted to play but the wingers he brought in, Roberts and Frear, haven't performed.

I don’t think Morrison can complain as he had a good crack of the whip under previous managers. Moore can count himself slightly unfortunate that with Covid and us being demoted has probably ended his hearts career. However for me he offered nothing more than running and effort. 

Neilson can be criticised for Frear and Roberts as they were his choices however not every signing is going to be successful. Having someone like Savage should help with that and recalibrate.

It is tough for young players to break through however for clubs with ambition at the top end of the table it does tend to be sink or swim. Loaning them out to clubs which will give them a run of games has been contributed with a lot of the success in the past. 

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The same Robbie that played Holt,Nicholson,Paterson,Walker,King,Oliver,aye sound.👍

How many of them improved under his coaching?

Has he been able to improve the wide men Frear and Roberts who he signed only 6 months ago? Much easier just to replace them with GMS and Kastaneer.

5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Will we miss Lewis Moore ?

No we won’t......

We need better.

Moore is for me a better player than Frear and Roberts (both of whom are on our books).

He was playing well under Stendell but obviously Robbie doesn’t fancy him so we move on. Good luck to the lad

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The poster I replied to talked about the short term.

Frear and Roberts were short term to handle this season. Personally I would have preferred to give Moore a whizz but then not my job on the line if he was outmuscled in the League. 

Be interesting how he gets on at Arbroath, a physical enough team 

2 hours ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Could tell by AH fake ‘I don’t know anything’ reaction.

I thought it seemed like he genuinely didn't know tbh.

He also spoke about not knowing Mackay-Steven had signed until he saw it was reported on the day, so it's entirely possible Findlay is signing and Halliday doesn't know about it of course.

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

For example -

Morrison and Moore’s games were in the SPL in a team on a mostly downward spiral. Frear and Roberts have been in the Championship in a winning team. Not the best of comparisons.

Bazzas right boot

Plenty free players available out there. 

Jamsey boy may need to give us a spontaneous infusion of hard currency to get this tho. 

_116779044_oocxi.png

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Moore is for me a better player than Frear and Roberts (both of whom are on our books).

He was playing well under Stendell but obviously Robbie doesn’t fancy him so we move on. Good luck to the lad

Moore wasn't the answer, it was worth the risk to try and get an upgrade. 

Our options were limited at the time. 

One loaned out - to a team in the top division. 

Frear will be away. 

We'll get replacements, not Moore tho. 

10 hours ago, OTT said:

For me, its not about that. Its about Frear and Roberts not being good enough either. I want to see us looking to our academy first before the transfer market, and it doesn't look like thats happened. When it became clear neither Frear or Roberts were good enough, that was the time to let Moore have a few games to see if he was able to showcase something to warrant keeping him further. I'm irritated by Robbies reluctance to give the lad that chance. 

Its worth maybe saying, Moore isn't a terrible footballer, he didn't shy away and Stendel did seem to have him starting to look decent. 

If Robbies first instinct is to immediately look to the transfer market for a senior player rather than look to promote a youngster then we haven't learned a thing from Levein. We got caught in short termism in the transfer market and suffered badly for it. If we finished 5th next season but rely heavily on youth then it sets us up well for the following season for a stronger finish (IMO). I'd far rather see youngsters given the opportunity to play for Hearts than some 5th rate journeyman from the English lower leagues. 

There's no way we'd finish 5th next season relying on youth.

A lot of talk about saying Moore improved under Stendel, what exactly did he improve at? I seem to remember a lot of running without much technical ability. Basically a defensive winger.

Just because Frear and Roberts aren't good enough, doesn't make Moore good enough either. 

32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Jamsey boy may need to give us a spontaneous infusion of hard currency to get this tho. 

_116779044_oocxi.png

Swap Di Maria for Moore and that's some team.

A_A wehatethehibs
10 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The 'playing well under Stendel' thing is 100% myth. He had 2 or 3 headless chicken games under Stendel that's it

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

🤣🤣🤣

Berra for Boetang.

The way folk are going on about it you'd think we'd just released Di Maria :lol:

He couldn't get a game ahead of Frear or Roberts ffs! Murder!

38 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

There's no way we'd finish 5th next season relying on youth.

A lot of talk about saying Moore improved under Stendel, what exactly did he improve at? I seem to remember a lot of running without much technical ability. Basically a defensive winger.

Just because Frear and Roberts aren't good enough, doesn't make Moore good enough either. 

Really? We'd have Gordon, Smith, Souttar (likely) Findlay, Kingsley, GMS, Walker, Irving, Boyce, Gnaulliette making up the bulk of our senior players, I think its a great time to bump up Connor Smith, Chris Hamilton, Cammy Logan, Scott McGill.

We do need to make one or two signings, but I'd like to see a heavier emphasis on youth next season. I think it will stand us in very good stead over the seasons to come. 

12 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Having seen the academy kids training in a fair few sessions upto the age of about 12-14 i would say they are excellent.

Constant movement, direct passing on the ground, hard working and no short measure of skill

They also get the benefit of things like videos showing their individual performance and areas they want to focus and develop.

The setup is very professional.

The issue I think is a combination of things. For one, having to completely build from the bottom up since 2014 has taken along time as you cant just skip the foundation years.

I also believe that when young players hit the first team the style they play isnt how the old players play. Irving, Cochrane and Hickey are prime examples of playing short, sharp, quick passes into feet in tight spaces because they have the confidence and skill (lacking the strength perhaps) to deal with it, yet older players dont have that and revert to booting it.

We need a decent volume of them in the team mixed with experienced quality players and a manager to play to how the whole academy is setup, otherwise what is the point.

One of the issues I have with the Box Soccer model is it seems to be all about one touch and moving from a very young age. The players are comfortable to do that, but when they don't have a team worth of Box Soccer players around them all knowing the exact scripted runs to make, then they are lost.

We need to be getting players comfortable on the ball from a young age, by giving them creative freedom and letting them take lots of touches, instead of restricting touches etc.

Messi didn't become Messi by doing one touch passes. I can almost guarantee a coach has never restricted his touches.

When was the last time we had a player in Scotland who was brilliant at beating a player with ease? It's the Scottish/British restrictive youth coaching that's ruining our development.

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, OTT said:

Really? We'd have Gordon, Smith, Souttar (likely) Findlay, Kingsley, GMS, Walker, Irving, Boyce, Gnaulliette making up the bulk of our senior players, I think its a great time to bump up Connor Smith, Chris Hamilton, Cammy Logan, Scott McGill.

We do need to make one or two signings, but I'd like to see a heavier emphasis on youth next season. I think it will stand us in very good stead over the seasons to come. 

Exactly. No one is demanding a team made up of youth players. Its all about getting the balance when building a squad. As you point out you have the strong first team but when you go for squad players instead of filling up with journeymen, you put some young players in who build.

23 minutes ago, Dayman said:

One of the issues I have with the Box Soccer model is it seems to be all about one touch and moving from a very young age. The players are comfortable to do that, but when they don't have a team worth of Box Soccer players around them all knowing the exact scripted runs to make, then they are lost.

We need to be getting players comfortable on the ball from a young age, by giving them creative freedom and letting them take lots of touches, instead of restricting touches etc.

Messi didn't become Messi by doing one touch passes. I can almost guarantee a coach has never restricted his touches.

When was the last time we had a player in Scotland who was brilliant at beating a player with ease? It's the Scottish/British restrictive youth coaching that's ruining our development.

Kind of agree.  Football is surely about adapting and learning to play in different scenarios ? Plus, different positions require a different outlook in how you play that area. You’re watching games in the EPL just now where teams are playing wee triangles in their own full back areas just to keep the ball....it’s crazy, so many goals are being lost because of it.  

You can’t just be honed on one way of playing ,but yes, the fundamentals of how to deal with ball should be at the top of the queue, but that’s always been in the game, it’s not new which it’s made out to be. 

We’re in the midst of the coaching culture and most are running the same theory. It’s more of a doctrine young players are being bred on, rather than trial and error, let them express but fine tune along the way.  

1 hour ago, OTT said:

There's Hamilton coming up AGAIN. Absolutely no way I would bring him into the team right now. Bearing in mind he's being re-positioned, he needs a minimum of a full season out on loan in the Championship and to be doing well in that position before even being considered for our first team. Connor Smith has also been in the first team before and was miles off. Logan looks OK but again looked nervous and lost when he played pre-season and needs to build his confidence which will only come with experience - hence why he is out on loan. Was relatively happy with McGill so I would consider him as a squad player, but centre mid is an area where we're pretty strong at the moment (and apparently looking to strengthen further over the summer) so I think a loan would be a better move for him next season to get some games under his belt. 

Unfortunately, we've utterly ****ed our "Acedemy"/U19s prospects for the next couple of seasons with the decisions made at the beginning of this season and by releasing, in my opinion, the wrong guys: 

- Released Petkov (who was a big lad, had a bit of pace, could play out from the back and would have been very handy this season given some of our defensive woes - is now playing quite regularly for Levski Sofia back in Bulgaria), kept Hamilton (who is 5ft6, hasn't kicked a baw in the first team, isn't even a centre back any more and whom I've already been quite vocal about). I also doubt he would have been any worse than Popescu and/or Berra.

- Released MacDonald and Morrison (arguably our two better young wingers of the three we had), and not only did we keep Moore (who was arguably the worst, hasn't kicked a baw in the first team this season), we handed him a new deal. Either of them would have done better than Roberts/Frear.

- Released Zanata (who'd had a handful of games in the first team and had done OK, showed some confidence, and whose enthusiasm and pace could have been handy in the Championship) and kept Conor Smith (who hasn't kicked a baw either, but previously has been absolutely nowhere any time he's played).

- Released Godinho (again had spent some time in the first team and had done alright), kept Brandon (who never showed anything more than Godinho, would say Godinho was actually slightly better, AND he'd already had 2 cruciate injuries by the age of 22, now has a third at 23).

Of course we had to get rid of a good number of them since there was no league for them to play in, but I think the ones we've let go would have been more useful to the first team than the ones we've kept, and I think some very bad decisions were made. 

Edited by Batistuta87

16 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

There's Hamilton coming up AGAIN. Absolutely no way I would bring him into the team right now. Bearing in mind he's being re-positioned, he needs a minimum of a full season out on loan in the Championship and to be doing well in that position before even being considered for our first team. Connor Smith has also been in the first team before and was miles off. Logan looks OK but again looked nervous and lost when he played pre-season and needs to build his confidence which will only come with experience - hence why he is out on loan. Was relatively happy with McGill so I would consider him as a squad player, but centre mid is an area where we're pretty strong at the moment (and apparently looking to strengthen further over the summer) so I think a loan would be a better move for him next season to get some games under his belt. 

Unfortunately, we've utterly ****ed our "Acedemy"/U19s prospects for the next couple of seasons with the decisions made at the beginning of this season and by releasing, in my opinion, the wrong guys: 

- Released Petkov (who was a big lad, had a bit of pace, could play out from the back and would have been very handy this season given some of our defensive woes - is now playing quite regularly for Levski Sofia back in Bulgaria), kept Hamilton (who is 5ft6, hasn't kicked a baw in the first team, isn't even a centre back any more and whom I've already been quite vocal about). I also doubt he would have been any worse than Popescu and/or Berra.

- Released MacDonald and Morrison (arguably our two better young wingers of the three we had), and not only did we keep Moore (who was arguably the worst, hasn't kicked a baw in the first team this season), we handed him a new deal. Either of them would have done better than Roberts/Frear.

- Released Zanata (who'd had a handful of games in the first team and had done OK, showed some confidence, and whose enthusiasm and pace could have been handy in the Championship) and kept Conor Smith (who hasn't kicked a baw either, but previously has been absolutely nowhere any time he's played).

- Released Godinho (again had spent some time in the first team and had done alright), kept Brandon (who never showed anything more than Godinho, would say Godinho was actually slightly better, AND he'd already had 2 cruciate injuries by the age of 22, now has a third at 23).

Of course we had to get rid of a good number of them since there was no league for them to play in, but I think the ones we've let go would have been more useful to the first team than the ones we've kept, and I think some very bad decisions were made. 

Not getting the Connor Smith opinion, I think he has looked the part and was unlucky not to get a run of games, I think he will be in Robbie's thoughts

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Swap Di Maria for Moore and that's some team.

Very subtle 😂😂😂

👏

4 minutes ago, lou said:

Not getting the Connor Smith opinion, I think he has looked the part and was unlucky not to get a run of games, I think he will be in Robbie's thoughts

Not saying he won't be in Robbie's thoughts or that he's pish or anything - he looks OK - but I think Zanata offered a bit more from an attacking sense and had the confidence to run at players to try to take them on. I quite liked him tbh. 

1 hour ago, Dayman said:

Correct, one example is Cochrane and Conor Smith, played much better together than either did when played beside a senior player (Cochrane v Celtic aside)

Berra than you
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Not saying he won't be in Robbie's thoughts or that he's pish or anything - he looks OK - but I think Zanata offered a bit more from an attacking sense and had the confidence to run at players to try to take them on. I quite liked him tbh. 

I guess the main difference is that zanatta will turn 24 later this year, hardly a youth prospect anymore. By contrast Conor Smith has just turned 19. 

5 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Moore is crap, just runs around a lot. 

If you actually watch him on the ball he's hardly got any attributes.

He put in his best performances when he set out to stop an opposition full back from getting forward. Not sure if that sort of pressing is what we need in this league.

1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

I guess the main difference is that zanatta will turn 24 later this year, hardly a youth prospect anymore. By contrast Conor Smith has just turned 19. 

Possibly. I think for the sake of getting through this season, Zanatta would have been the more useful of the two since he could play AM/R/L/C and had a bit of pace. If we had kept him and either one of MacDonald/Morrison, we could have got away with not signing Roberts and Frear.

The Hogfather

I'd say the fact Zanatta has 1 goal and 1 assist in 14 games for Ayr this season is a good indicator that he's not one that "got away".

22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Possibly. I think for the sake of getting through this season, Zanatta would have been the more useful of the two since he could play AM/R/L/C and had a bit of pace. If we had kept him and either one of MacDonald/Morrison, we could have got away with not signing Roberts and Frear.

you do realise zanatta left in the summer of 2019 not last summer when we were demoted

35 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Moore is crap, just runs around a lot. 

If you actually watch him on the ball he's hardly got any attributes.

He is on a par with Frear and Roberts no better or worse. The latter two were brought in because Robbie didn't rate Moore and Lee as it turns out both of these guys are every bit as bad.

At least Frear is only contracted until the end of the season however Roberts still has more than one year left on his deal.

All we can hope for is that Roberts gets a run of games at Motherwell and shows if he is any good or not but my money is on the fact he will hardly kick a ball for them and we will be left with another dud taking a wage.

I would imagine Savage will be using his network of contact to try and get rid of Roberts and hopefully Damour.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

He is on a par with Frear and Roberts no better or worse. The latter two were brought in because Robbie didn't rate Moore and Lee as it turns out both of these guys are every bit as bad.

At least Frear is only contracted until the end of the season however Roberts still has more than one year left on his deal.

All we can hope for is that Roberts gets a run of games at Motherwell and shows if he is any good or not but my money is on the fact he will hardly kick a ball for them and we will be left with another dud taking a wage.

I would imagine Savage will be using his network of contact to try and get rid of Roberts and hopefully Damour.

Puzzled by Roberts . He looks as though he has all the attributes just doesn't seem to apply them . For us anyway .

Not sure if he had any problems [mental or physical] ?

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

And that's all well and good but you'll be hard pushed to find folk who didn't think Roberts/Frear were upgrades when first signed.

Shit happens.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And that's all well and good but you'll be hard pushed to find folk who didn't think Roberts/Frear were upgrades when first signed.

Shit happens.

We seem to have signed more than our fair share of Shit over the years though.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

We seem to have signed more than our fair share of Shit over the years though.

Correct, which is why Joe Savage is here.

51 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

I'd say the fact Zanatta has 1 goal and 1 assist in 14 games for Ayr this season is a good indicator that he's not one that "got away".

Definitely not "one that got away", but that's more than Smith for example has done, and might have been a better option than some that we've kept... 

Edited by Batistuta87

31 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Shit happens.

thats the thing on paper signing frear on a one year deal made sense. knows scottish football previously done well for motherwell. it obviously has not worked out that way but the saving grace is he is only with us until the summer.

Jamboscanbevicius
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Are we any nearer signing Findlay or Campbell?

This.

I just saw someone including Findlay above in a list of senior players we'll have next season. Have I missed something?

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Zanatta is 23, Connor smith is 19. I don't even think they played the same position. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Are we any nearer signing Findlay or Campbell?

Couple of people on here saying it's a done deal, but nothing official from the club. 

45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Shit happens.

This. Folk on here seemed to be excited about Roberts at the time. No idea why he's looked so disinterested in the few games he's played. 

11 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Zanatta is 23, Connor smith is 19. I don't even think they played the same position. 

Already acknowledged the age gap, but they did play similar positions. We played Zanatta AM/C/L/R, can play up front too, Smith has played as AM/C/ST. 

Edited by Batistuta87

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

_116779044_oocxi.png

Not sure where you got that from but Wijnaldum isn’t out of contract

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Already acknowledged the age gap, but they did play similar positions. Smith is an AM/C/L/ST, Zannatta is an AM/C/L/R. 

Ah well, Zanata has already proven himself to be poor anyway so no loss. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

They're all out of contract at the end of the season. Including Wijnaldum. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

He will be by the end of the season though, could sign for us on a pre-contract😂