January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Berra than you
10 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I suspect we have paid players double that in recent times.

By recent times, do you mean post administration? Because I would doubt that, however I guess there is no way of knowing. Under Romanov however, certainly we were paying daft wages.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Neil Dongcaster
1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

By recent times, do you mean post administration? Because I would doubt that, however I guess there is no way of knowing. Under Romanov however, certainly we were paying daft wages.

I mean under AB. I believe our staffing costs almost hit £9million in 2020, certainly room for a few much higher earning individuals especially considering I don’t think AB takes a salary.

Berra than you
9 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I mean under AB. I believe our staffing costs almost hit £9million in 2020, certainly room for a few much higher earning individuals especially considering I don’t think AB takes a salary.

Perhaps then. Not sure there is any need for a club our size to send that much that often but every once in a while a player comes along that's worth it. And at the end of the day if we can afford to do it then I guess there is no issue.

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Surely Liam Polwarth is more realistic than Allan Campbell? Would be delighted if we signed Campbell.

Mentioned at the start of January we have had an in interest in polworth since Robbie joined 👍🏻 Moved our focus on other positions but wouldn’t be surprised to see us go back in for him if Irving does leave 

10 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Mentioned at the start of January we have had an in interest in polworth since Robbie joined 👍🏻 Moved our focus on other positions but wouldn’t be surprised to see us go back in for him if Irving does leave 

That's depressing. Polworth is ordinary in the extreme.

1 minute ago, May one-six said:

Yeah, screams of Frear 2.0. 

Hopefully Savage can put an end to that!

22 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Polworth? Nah, no thanks. Campbell maybe but you can't help thinking they'll muck about for too long and he'll end up at Lochend Celtic or Aberdeen, unless one of the old squirm go for him. I can't remember the deal Roberts has but perhaps we could offer them him plus cash for Campbell if he works out for them on loan.

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

He's nothing like Frear in any way whatsoever. He's a playmaker and his stats are good. 

He's averaged an assist every 3 games at Motherwell, 21 in 61 games so far. 

Previous to that, he had 62 assists in 210 games for Inverness. 

A total of 83 assists in 271 games.

33 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

What do you think about the Campbell rumour? Are you aware if we are in for him?

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's nothing like Frear in any way whatsoever. He's a playmaker and his stats are good. 

He's averaged an assist every 3 games at Motherwell, 21 in 61 games so far. 

Previous to that, he had 62 assists in 210 games for Inverness. 

A total of 83 assists in 271 games.

Just worried Robbie gets tunnel vision on transfer targets. Could even be a non-starter now we have McEneff too now? Fair point with the stats though, considering who he's been playing for, it wouldn't be a bad move on paper. Likewise, only 26 too so actually younger than Walker which I didn't realise. 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Just worried Robbie gets tunnel vision on transfer targets. Could even be a non-starter now we have McEneff too now? Fair point with the stats though, considering who he's been playing for, it wouldn't be a bad move on paper. Likewise, only 26 too so actually younger than Walker which I didn't realise. 

He'd be a direct replacement for Irving I think, he's more of a deep lying playmaker, good set piece taker and an excellent passer. 

Watch him create space for himself. The ability to take the ball under pressure and play a forward pass. 

Not saying he is the answer or that we couldn't find better, he'd have to step up here but he's certainly a decent player. Many people had him in their team of the year last season.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I suspect we have paid players double that in recent times.

The only time we've paid anywhere near double that was under Romanov.

Polworth, O'Donnell, Campbell, Gallagher. The rest of the motherwell team must be feckin rancid if all these guys are as good as people make out :lol: 

Campell is the only one i'd be going for in that squad imo

Guest ToqueJambo
47 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Finding these players who have proven themselves in the Premiership and are at a good age to step up a level with us is what we have to do. We've done it before with good success as have Hibs, Aberdeen, etc. Midfielders like Holt, Robinson and Callachan that we've previously not rated are doing well in the Premiership now. On the other hand midfielders like Glenn Whelan, Martin and Loic Damour were on paper more exciting signings with better pedigrees but they bombed. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Neil Dongcaster
16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The only time we've paid anywhere near double that was under Romanov.

I’m not saying you are wrong, but how do you know?

53 minutes ago, OTT said:

Wouldn't think these are Savage's decisions to make 

14 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He'd be a direct replacement for Irving I think, he's more of a deep lying playmaker, good set piece taker and an excellent passer. 

Watch him create space for himself. The ability to take the ball under pressure and play a forward pass. 

Not saying he is the answer or that we couldn't find better, he'd have to step up here but he's certainly a decent player. Many people had him in their team of the year last season.

I see what you mean with the similarities with Irving. I like that he seems to look to play the ball forward and try and pick people out. I think especially when other teams shut up shop, that this is somewhere we do struggle. One of the things I'd like us to really focus in on is signing the journeyman portion of our squad from other SPFL sides as by that point they'll have proven they can play at this level. I'm sick of speculative punts like Aidy White, Amankwaa, Damour, Martin, Struna, Sowah, Avolantis, Augustyn etc. If we want consistency, we need to be looking at who from other clubs is ready to make that step up. I think it might cost a little more, but the theory is that it creates greater consistency in our finishing position and in cup competitions, it may also help youngsters more as they aren't playing with older players that are failing to adapt to the league. Perhaps in time it can be toned down to include a great volume of youngsters in the first team. 

Anyway, yeah great shout tbh, appears to be like for like with Irving, so if he doesn't sign on, it seems we could replace. Added bonus is that it would weaken a rival too. 

38 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Is that the English wage cap been scrapped? 😔

Looks like it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55997868

Oh well, we'll just have to wait for some of them to spend themselves into oblivion before picking up their players instead of being able to offer similar wages.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

So you don’t know and are presenting your opinion as fact. Understood.

Mate, we haven't paid anyone anywhere near 8-10 grand a week apart from during the Romanov era, and we never will. That's, what, almost a quarter of our total wage bill at the lower end of that scale on one player. Can't believe we're having this discussion. We have overpaid on dross since Cathro, but no more so than the clubs we're usually competing with. Our problem is we underperformed worst than Aberdeen and Hibs did last season. We all spent a lot for zero return though. Apart from in our case we got to a couple of cup finals on the back of it.

Edited by ToqueJambo

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Mate, we haven't paid anyone anywhere near 8-10 grand a week apart from during the Romanov era, and we never will. That's, what, almost a quarter of our total wage bill at the lower end of that scale on one player. Can't believe we're having this discussion. We have overpaid on dross since Cathro, but no more so than the clubs we're usually competing with. Our problem is we underperformed worst than Aberdeen and Hibs did last season. We all spent a lot for zero return though. Apart from in our case we got to a couple of cup finals on the back of it.

Was getting around that with JJ. Adam and a few others where 5 to 8k. We do thing properly and we should start to afford a few players on high wages. Just have to get thing right on and off the pitch after covid.

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Polworth, O'Donnell, Campbell, Gallagher. The rest of the motherwell team must be feckin rancid if all these guys are as good as people make out :lol: 

Campell is the only one i'd be going for in that squad imo

Precisely. I've seen Campbell stand out in Motherwell games, but Polworth has been completely anonymous. He'd be ideal if the limit of our ambition was 6th - 8th position in the Premiership.

1 hour ago, bistokid said:

What do you think about the Campbell rumour? Are you aware if we are in for him?

We will be yes along with most of Scotland and most English championship clubs, would be a real coup getting him 

Neil Dongcaster
47 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

10 grand a week is not a quarter of our wage bill.

Wouldn’t get too worked up on polworth he’s only an option, the priority is keeping Irving if he goes then we will of course need to look elsewhere 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

10 grand a week is not a quarter of our wage bill.

Sums not my strong point but we don't pay that under Budge and never will. Romanov was the only person who paid the 10k type salaries.

Neil Dongcaster
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Sums not my strong point but we don't pay that under Budge and never will. Romanov was the only person who paid the 10k type salaries.

£8k per week would be about 5% of our 2020 wage bill. Perfectly feasible.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

2 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

So your saying our wage bill for 2020 was 160k a week, where did you pluck that figure from?,when is end of financial year, and playing budget I take it you mean, think you made that up myself.

22 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Wouldn’t get too worked up on polworth he’s only an option, the priority is keeping Irving if he goes then we will of course need to look elsewhere 

What's happening re Findlay?? 

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

So your saying our wage bill for 2020 was 160k a week, where did you pluck that figure from?,when is end of financial year, and playing budget I take it you mean, think you made that up myself.

Reported in 2020 annual accounts, so actually 2019 total wage bill. 

What are rules on calling back Logan and Hamilton? No point in them sitting on their backside for months when could be training with first team. Maybe even get a game

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Haven't seen Polworth play a decent game yet, however I don't watch him every week, just odd I've yet to see him play well. 

However I can offer some consolation here, I never ever catch a Kevin De Bruyne masterclass live, totally different player on MOTD

12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Shame for the lad, but has been totally out the picture so not a surprise.

Suspect he will find a Championship club.

Best of luck to him

52 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Reported in 2020 annual accounts, so actually 2019 total wage bill. 

So you were wrong then just a year out.....

20 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Shame for the lad, but has been totally out the picture so not a surprise.

Suspect he will find a Championship club.

Best of luck to him

Good luck to the boy. He looked to have improved under Stendel but seems to have went back the way. No worse than those two charlatans Frear and Roberts. 

1 hour ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

If done correctly and we go to the nth degree when deciding on issuing that kind of contract I have no problem with it. Obviously, a lack of caution has cost Scottish clubs dearly over the years. I suspect we'd be hard pressed to ever do that though, probably worried about causing friction within the squad or whatever. 

31 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

A very heartless decision tbh. Like, right now, he's not good enough to play top flight football for a club looking at top 4, fine. However, he's also much younger and IMO a damn sight better than Frear and Roberts. I'd personally have much preferred to have seen Lewis given a chance this season when it became clear neither Frear nor Roberts were good enough. Who knows how much confidence Stendel had managed to instil in him prior to him leaving? I suppose its not unfair to say Robbie had probably destroyed the poor laddies confidence. 

Part of youth development is giving youth a chance. Going out and signing two gash wingers with no sell on value when you have one already there is a bit disappointing to see. Neither of Robbies signings there have brought anything to the table Moore couldn't have. Arguably, with Moores age he could have brought more enthusiasm which might have spurred him on a bit. 

Anyway, right decision but feel that the wrong reasons are behind it. Should have been given the opportunity to fail under Robbie instead of being forced away whilst he tried to make his two shite signings work. I really, really hope the laddie bounces back from this and makes it his mission to prove Robbie wrong. 

35 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I'm surprised at this. Was one of our better players towards the end of last season but not been given a chance this season. 

A season in the championship was an ideal opportunity to see what guys like Moore and cochrane could do. 

So much for Leveins prediction of starting to see decent players coming through the academy! 

Even Elliot Frear's 2 goals this season are 2 more than Moore has managed in his entire Hearts career!! Moore couldn't get a game at Falkirk last year and didn't make it off Arbroath's bench at the weekend... Not remotely good enough for Hearts - part time football beckons.

Leveins Battalion

Moore is pish,much like Henderson.

Never good enough.

Oh how I long for an Alan Johnston or David Templeton.

Thought Stendel was getting a good tune out of Moore.

Seems bizarre for Ann Budge to hand him a new 2 year deal back in summer only for him to be binned from the squad straight away. Not even given a chance by Robbie.

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Moore is pish,much like Henderson.

Never good enough.

Oh how I long for an Alan Johnston or David Templeton.

Harsh but probably fair. I do think Henderson would benefit by believing in himself a bit more but only a run of first team games would help with that which isn’t going to happen because we have better options. 

Just now, Paulp74 said:

I'm surprised at this. Was one of our better players towards the end of last season but not been given a chance this season. 

A season in the championship was an ideal opportunity to see what guys like Moore and cochrane could do. 

So much for Leveins prediction of starting to see decent players coming through the academy! 

I made a post in another thread about this. The results from the academy haven't been acceptable, yes it was gutted prior to Levein/Budges arrival but has since produced the sum total of **** all in 7 years. I'm half wondering if Irving is more luck than success. I.e throw enough shit at the wall and it will eventually stick. 

I think we badly need a change of direction at the academy. Its supposed to be a results driven industry and we've produced nothing. I think we need to get the most qualified person we can - Brian McClair apparently lives in Stockbridge and headed up Manchester Utds academy for close to a decade and has had roles at the SFA, he's on our ****ing doorstep ffs. From a parents perspective, an academy under his stewardship would be a no brainer and I think its time to change things up. Its apparent our current plan isn't working, Cochrane and McDonald were supposed to be quality players and neither was able to make the step up (or was given enough of a chance) Currie, Morrison, Moore, Henderson, Zanatta, Godinho, Baur, McClean, McKirdy, Beith etc. all haven't been able to make the step up either, in the same time frame, Motherwell for example have brought through Erwin, Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Scott and a few others (plus sold a couple of youngsters to clubs down south). 

This isn't la liga, or Serie A or even the English Championship. We should have done an awful lot better the last couple of years and IMO its necessary to look at our options on the academy front and do what we can to improve it. 

Leveins Battalion

The points regarding our academy are spot on,our young boys are spoilt rotten.

Compared to say Motherwells young lads who have a real football education. 

Who is Rodger Arnott and what is his credentials?I dont say that to be a prick I just dont know.

I'd feel much better with somebody like Sandy Clark or Donald Park booting baws ,or even better Darren Murray.

Edited by Leveins Battalion
Spelling