January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

So much so that we can all welcome him back to Tynecastle next in August to unveil our Championship flag.

I'm sure he will get a nice round of applause and a song or two.

That could be a lot of fun.

In all seriousness, do we think he'll show his "definitely into niche websites" face at Tynie ever again?  Could be very good fun if he does!

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Agree to a certain extent but we are in a position of strength vs Walsall here. If Adebayo is the primary target and is preferred over the second option then we should sign him. The worst that could happen is we wait until the summer to get him. We can get away without a striker for the rest of this season IMO so let’s pick the best of the 2 we are after and wait if we need to (pretty sure Walsall will cash in now if we pre contract him - would be silly not to given their league position and their financial position)

Agree

Walsall will know we hold all the cards here and will cave in. 

We should be patient if he is the number one target. 

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It's just the irony of that half mill grant that they aren't getting, and it's because they voted us down. 

Message boards are what they are but posters like FF don't half give them a bit of depth. 

Hope we sign a striker with this money who then scores against them. 

It's great being poppy money thieving gets.  Anything that gets up their noses  

Oh just reread.  I wasn't having a go at FF - love him!  He knows his stuff.

I don't get supporters with a knowledge probably similar or less than mine who get all uppity about the very basics of finance in football and worrying if we give a player £2k or £3k etc.  Who cares.  Is he guid at fitba?

1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Agree

Walsall will know we hold all the cards here and will cave in. 

We should be patient if he is the number one target. 

We tend to do things "properly" these days.  So we're approaching Walsall first here, even though we could tie up Adebayo for the summer if we wanted.

The usual ploy here is tie the player to a precontract and then pressure the club by saying, he's leaving anyway etc.  We may still do that of course, but we seem to have given his club first refusal on a fee offer first.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

He won't show his face again at our home. 

He may even be unemployed by then....

That'd be nice.

Wouldn't pish on him if he was on fire.  However, I would if he wasn't.

37 minutes ago, Robdawg said:

Apparently paying £180k for this boy from Walsall 

Surely not?? That seems steep when we can get him for free in 5 months time. 

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh just reread.  I wasn't having a go at FF - love him!  He knows his stuff.

I don't get supporters with a knowledge probably similar or less than mine who get all uppity about the very basics of finance in football and worrying if we give a player £2k or £3k etc.  Who cares.  Is he guid at fitba?

I never read it as anything but praise for ff. I was just agreeing with you.

Also agree on the fact that it's about if a player is any good.   

That half mill is handy though...

7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah I agree.….I just cant see us spending anywhere near that for a league in theory we should win anyway. Id keep the 180k for summer transfers. If we do spend that he must be very highly thought of but I cant see it.

10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Certainly not the figure I have heard. Not even half that.

26 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I think Joe Savage has a lot to do with our transfer and scouting. 

Actually I think I am stating the bleeding obvious. 

:phface:

But it's good to hear!

11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

This. 

No way would we pay that kind of money. 

Just now, Deevers said:

Certainly not the figure I have heard. Not even half that.

I'm sure the Walsall fans' forum that was posted the other day was saying they would be happy with £25-50k! £180k is a lot for a Championship club to spend on a player. Even us.

Berra than you
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

I'm sure the Walsall fans' forum that was posted the other day was saying they would be happy with £25-50k! £180k is a lot for a Championship club to spend on a player. Even us.

Did we even spend that much on Liam Boyce? Surely not paying as much as that.

4 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Did we even spend that much on Liam Boyce? Surely not paying as much as that.

I don't think the club ever confirmed the actual figure but rumours are between £150-200k. Transfermrkt says £176k... 

To be fair though, we should have a few quid to spend from the sale of Hickey (assuming that fee hasn't been absorbed by operating costs throughout Covid) but I was sort of expecting us to save anything we had for next season. Would be very surprised if we're paying anything like £100k for this guy. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Indeed 😉

Probably a discussion for a later date but I hope that ****** is nowhere near Tynecastle even in those circumstances.  The thought of his smug puss posing for pictures and handing the trophy over is already making my blood boil!

I don’t think that happened last time but I could be mistaken? Even he must know that would be a mistake unless it’s still BCD.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Exactly, just get him signed up on a pre contract and see what they will accept then. 

1 hour ago, Robdawg said:

That would be ridiculous money. Given we could sign him on a pre contract and get him free in the summer i cant see any way we'd pay £180k to get a league 2 player for 3 - 4 months. 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, HoGwash said:

That would be ridiculous money. Given we could sign him on a pre contract and get him free in the summer i cant see any way we'd pay £180k to get a league 2 player for 3 - 4 months. 

We will end up getting him for less than half that close to the window closing. Will just be their opening gambit to see how much they can wrangle 

4 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Only thing is maybe we buy him now so teams that can pay more in wages don't get him for free at the end of the season 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Only thing is maybe we buy him now so teams that can pay more in wages don't get him for free at the end of the season 🤷‍♂️

They couldn't do that if he signs a pre contract with us although there is some debate about how watertight pre contracts are. 

50 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Not a chance. Even on the Walsall forums were saying they'd be delighted with £50k.

They may , in this case , be correct .

Don't know if you've followed many threads on here ?

1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

😱 He must be very highly thought of!   I would expect a player that can be acquired on a pre contract to be signed for free.   Hope it works out. 

So do I but it wouldn’t be like us to waste money on the odd players now would it.

42 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The seethe from Leith would be unreal, but I'd stay away personally. Didn't like the way he downed tools as soon as Rangers were interested. Of course footballers should always be aiming to play at the highest level possible and are always going to chase the money so I have no problem when they want a move when they get the chance, but they should respect the club they're contracted to and still put the effort in while they're there (even if that club is Hibs :D)

Edited by Batistuta87

The Apprentice
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think that happened last time but I could be mistaken? Even he must know that would be a mistake unless it’s still BCD.

He definitely handed over the trophy the last time as I remember him getting pelters then as well.

7 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

He definitely handed over the trophy the last time as I remember him getting pelters then as well.

20210122_123037.jpg

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Yeehaa!  Funny innit.

Before anyone comes in with pedentry, we all know the prize money will be less and we can't attain European qualification (unless we win the cup, which we almost definitely will - especially with our new "free" signings).

I don't usually concern myself with finance in football (don't hugely understand why people do, unless it's a proper hobby with a proper knowledge which it seems with maybe FF - I mean armchair accountancy...??!), but it will be interesting to see our P&L against Prem teams for this season.

Yeah.... I said on a thread a few weeks ago, as long as we get back up to the prem, this season hasn't really been the nightmare we maybe thought it would be. It's given us a season to get our act together (both on and off the field), the officiating hasn't been nearly as bad as the prem, we've done ok with grants. I would also wager that there are a number of premier league sides that (given the choice - hypothetically) would swap places with us right now.

About the only real negative will be prize money... but all-in-all, it's been good to see us winning and scoring goals.

It doesn't make me any less angry about how we (and others were treated)... that will NEVER be forgotten.

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Goodoh.

I'd like to thank Neil Doncaster personally for this transfer fee offer.

Having led the Scottish footballing community in expelling us, he has ensured our fans rallied round, pumping more money in to the club, we have lost no or very little by being in the Championship as there are no crowds anyway (and I'd think we'd fill Tynie anyway), and we also had access to a £500k free govt grant, which the Prem teams didn't.  He really has helped our club in our medium term plans.

Yes, well done Neil. 

7 hours ago, Jamboj1 said:

Irving and ginelly almost completely signed up massive business for us, as of Tuesday we were in talks with 2 strikers the Walsall one and another as we are at a little deadlock of discussions with Walsall. Apologies doesn’t seem to be one in this week like I mentioned but i think it’s clear we were trying to make it happen and still are so🤞🏻. Don’t get names often but led to believe we have an extreme interest in kyle Turner from Dunfermline 

Is Kyle Turner being played as a Striker? Does he not play in midfield?

1 hour ago, HoGwash said:

They couldn't do that if he signs a pre contract with us although there is some debate about how watertight pre contracts are. 

The contract is a legal agreement signed between parties. A pre contract will have the same legal protection, it will contain a start date in the future, say from 1 July 21 or the like. Details of each contract will vary as to how the outcomes are negotiated.

2 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

The contract is a legal agreement signed between parties. A pre contract will have the same legal protection, it will contain a start date in the future, say from 1 July 21 or the like. Details of each contract will vary as to how the outcomes are negotiated.

I remember a pre contract being cancelled a few years ago when the guy changed his mind. I don't remember the details, but Ross County were involved IIRC

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

No idea who that is? 

D108C260-4659-4EAB-9029-551E50889658.jpeg

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I remember a pre contract being cancelled a few years ago when the guy changed his mind. I don't remember the details, but Ross County were involved IIRC

Richard Brittain, didn’t want to sign for St Johnstone but they had to legally allow him to break the contract.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23083594

Neil Dongcaster
2 hours ago, Robdawg said:

Seems a lot. However I think Savage will be involved in scouting this lad. We have to trust the people we bring in to get these decisions right and judge them on the outcomes.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah.... I said on a thread a few weeks ago, as long as we get back up to the prem, this season hasn't really been the nightmare we maybe thought it would be. It's given us a season to get our act together (both on and off the field), the officiating hasn't been nearly as bad as the prem, we've done ok with grants. I would also wager that there are a number of premier league sides that (given the choice - hypothetically) would swap places with us right now.

About the only real negative will be prize money... but all-in-all, it's been good to see us winning and scoring goals.

It doesn't make me any less angry about how we (and others were treated)... that will NEVER be forgotten.

Tv money too but all in all there could’ve been worse seasons to be down below, and thousands of us not paying for live streams will have hurt Hibs for instance. 
Keeping on thread we might not have been able to change the squad around as much if we had been in the top league either, whilst winning games. 

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

That'd be nice.

Wouldn't pish on him if he was on fire.  However, I would if he wasn't.

:)

Interview: Pat Stanton on growing up in Niddrie, how Aberdeen succeeded  where Hibs failed and Fergie's extensive collection of Bulgarian  coat-hangers | The Scotsman

Pishy Pat approves of this post.

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Richard Brittain, didn’t want to sign for St Johnstone but they had to legally allow him to break the contract.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23083594

Was there not a family tragedy that made him, or his wife, not want to move when the summer arrived?  I'm fairly sure  that something had changed his domestic life. That being the reason St Johnstone felt they should release him from the commitment.

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It depends on the wording contained in the contract but one party cannot cancel without the agreement of the other. Everything can be renegotiated at any point, so a player could say I don't want to honour my contract, the club could ask for some settlement figure. Of course it may be in both of their interests to cancel e.g. club have another more suitable replacement, but must be agreed.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

They can ram their Championship trophy up Liewells back passage assuming there is still room.

yeah from my perspective I don’t think we should accept it given the circumstances 

.. that said, the players (especially the new ones) may not align to that view

£180k for the lad from Walsall is a bit much tbh. 6 months left, we'd be better signing the pre-contract and offering them 90k or something to get it done now. Anything over £100k seems a bit steep considering he's out of contract.

Then again, I'd rather not lose out on a player we want because we're humming and hawing over a relatively small amount of money

10 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

They can ram their Championship trophy up Liewells back passage assuming there is still room.

Could probably just about fit it in there if ND takes his boots of

Are pre contracts legally binding - maybes aye maybes naw. Totally depends on what’s detailed in them. With some, you can walk away, others you can but with significant implications. Unless it’s your own pre contract, there’s no way of knowing the ins and outs 

kingantti1874
Just now, Baxfee said:

Are pre contracts legally binding - maybes aye maybes naw. Totally depends on what’s detailed in them. With some, you can walk away, others you can but with significant implications. Unless it’s your own pre contract, there’s no way of knowing the ins and outs 

Did someone try and cut in/ stop Ian Blacks pre contract? 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )