January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Was there not a family tragedy that made him, or his wife, not want to move when the summer arrived?  I'm fairly sure  that something had changed his domestic life. That being the reason St Johnstone felt they should release him from the commitment.

Sounds about right. 

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Gordon Ramsay
22 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

They can ram their Championship trophy up Liewells back passage assuming there is still room.

Need to get Doncaster and Maxwells heed oot first. 

just guessing but maybe the suggested £180k ensures that Walsall have no future sell on clause?

If we buy him now with 6 month’s remaining on his contract, they will I would imagine try to negotiate

a % sell on fee.

6 minutes ago, OTT said:

£180k for the lad from Walsall is a bit much tbh. 6 months left, we'd be better signing the pre-contract and offering them 90k or something to get it done now. Anything over £100k seems a bit steep considering he's out of contract.

Then again, I'd rather not lose out on a player we want because we're humming and hawing over a relatively small amount of money

Sure it can be reduced by add ons for games paid  percentage of future transfer money so on and so forth. 

52 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

The contract is a legal agreement signed between parties. A pre contract will have the same legal protection, it will contain a start date in the future, say from 1 July 21 or the like. Details of each contract will vary as to how the outcomes are negotiated.

That was my understanding of a pre contract, I just remember a debate on here a wee while ago about whether they were watertight. The main point was that if we can get him on a pre contract, £180k is a huge amount to sign a league 2 player for what is effectively 3.5 months.

1 minute ago, HoGwash said:

That was my understanding of a pre contract, I just remember a debate on here a wee while ago about whether they were watertight. The main point was that if we can get him on a pre contract, £180k is a huge amount to sign a league 2 player for what is effectively 3.5 months.

Just offer him 30k to sign the pre contract and we will wait for the summer 

If Robbie wants to play two strikers we actually need to sign three......one this window and another two in the next.

We have absolutely no depth in that area of the team/squad.

Edited by DH1986

£180K would not seem that big if Boyce and or Naismith got injured.  I would also rather have him in now to get bedded in so that he will be well settled by the time next season kicks off.  He may also provide a valuable input to this season which is still not over until she sings.  

On 21/01/2021 at 11:25, indianajones said:

Best LB since Takis?

To be honest, i've lost track on who we've had playing at left-back since the days of Takis which is scarily 15 years ago now! Can't think of anyone other than Kingsley that has made an impression. Actually....maybe Danny Grainger would've been been up there ahead of everyone else since Takis but barring that, i'm struggling to think of any. Either way, getting Kingsley signed up is great news. Let's hope he can cut it at the top level. No reason why he shouldn't but it's a step up playing your Aberdeens and the like compared to your Mortons and Raiths.

Bazzas right boot

Hard to judge him until we're promoted Tbh. 

He's been very good for us so far tho, consistent and chipped in with goals. Played well v Celtic in the final. 

Long may it continue. 

Get Irving and Gino signed up, sets us up nicely for next summer. 

38 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If Robbie wants to play two strikers we actually need to sign three......one this window and another two in the next.

We have absolutely no depth in that area of the team/squad.

Two perhaps. We've got Naismith as well. 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Is Kyle Turner being played as a Striker? Does he not play in midfield?

Text my Pars pal earlier told me he's a midfielder (middle of the park), young lad with a bright future. Also mentions Euan Murray centre half is a decent player who's contract up in summer.

1 minute ago, Beave1874 said:

Text my Pars pal earlier told me he's a midfielder (middle of the park), young lad with a bright future. Also mentions Euan Murray centre half is a decent player who's contract up in summer.

👍

50 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Just offer him 30k to sign the pre contract and we will wait for the summer 

Or give them Frear  and Roberts to release him now 

Loved Takis, oozed class, but can't let a left back discussion pass without Tosh McKinlay being mentioned.

I was chuffed to bits when we signed him and he was every ounce the signing I hoped he would be.

Still recall the oddity of him playing his last game for Dundee against Hearts at Dens when we all knew he'd be signing on the Monday. 1-1 draw, iirc.

On topic, chuffed, too, with Kingsley's new deal.

Guest ToqueJambo
49 minutes ago, jambonian said:

To be honest, i've lost track on who we've had playing at left-back since the days of Takis which is scarily 15 years ago now! Can't think of anyone other than Kingsley that has made an impression. Actually....maybe Danny Grainger would've been been up there ahead of everyone else since Takis but barring that, i'm struggling to think of any. Either way, getting Kingsley signed up is great news. Let's hope he can cut it at the top level. No reason why he shouldn't but it's a step up playing your Aberdeens and the like compared to your Mortons and Raiths.

Grainger was solid, but we've also had Wallace, Eckersley and Hickey since Takis. Slim pickings between Eckersley and Hickey though. Also thought Danny Wilson was better at LB than CB when he filled in there a few times.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Remember that well. Tosh was a great left back. Developed a good partnership down the left with Bannon for a couple of seasons.

Aye. Loved Tosh.

Played for Hearts like a boyhood fan would.

Especially v. Hibs. 

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

Aye. Loved Tosh.

Played for Hearts like a boyhood fan would.

Especially v. Hibs. 

But then he ended up at THEM!

(Am I doing this right)?

11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

But then he ended up at THEM!

(Am I doing this right)?

Funny thing with Tosh was that when Galloway went to Celtic, him and Tosh used to battle the life out of each other. I remember at Parkhead Galloway almost breaking his leg, Tosh was furious, Galloway went to shake his hand which Tosh refused so he stuck his fingers up at him. The ref saw it and he got booked. Galloway gave Tosh a right mouthful for refusing to shake his hand and getting him booked. Wee lipread after that looked like Tosh saying fukov ya **** dik. Oh the banter!

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Funny thing with Tosh was that when Galloway went to Celtic, him and Tosh used to battle the life out of each other. I remember at Parkhead Galloway almost breaking his leg, Tosh was furious, Galloway went to shake his hand which Tosh refused so he stuck his fingers up at him. The ref saw it and he got booked. Galloway gave Tosh a right mouthful for refusing to shake his hand and getting him booked. Wee lipread after that looked like Tosh saying fukov ya **** dik. Oh the banter!

Liked Mikey Galloway (before he went to THEM), he loved a tackle.

43 minutes ago, Beave1874 said:

I mentioned Euan Murray on here a few weeks ago. Think there's a couple of clubs looking at him. Aberdeen is one i'm told but not in the know. He'd be an ideal replacement for Berra, left-sided, pretty solid and handy at set pieces. Mid-20s i think as well. I'd rather Jimmy Dunne but that isnae going to happen anytime soon so he'd be the obvious candidate. Can't think of too many others within our budget. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Ross Stewart loan extended to season end )
2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I mentioned Euan Murray on here a few weeks ago. Think there's a couple of clubs looking at him. Aberdeen is one i'm told but not in the know. He'd be an ideal replacement for Berra, left-sided, pretty solid and handy at set pieces. Mid-20s i think as well. I'd rather Jimmy Dunne but that isnae going to happen anytime soon so he'd be the obvious candidate. Can't think of too many others within our budget. 

What's our budget? 

4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Liked Mikey Galloway (before he went to THEM), he loved a tackle.

Mind you, we got him for peanuts from Halifax and got half a million from that lot for him. Was probably down to his five goals in our european campaign in 88/89.

As for loving a tackle...oooff! Did he ever! I remember him chopping Richard Gough down when he was doing a goal-line clearance. Got sent off for his trouble. Still won 2-0 though. Dec 10th 1988, i remember it well as that same night my local pub at the time got trashed, no idea why.

9 minutes ago, jambonian said:

If we signed Murray I wouldn't expect him to be a first choice. I would definitely have Souttar and Halkett ahead of him although maybe we could develop him.

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

If we signed Murray I wouldn't expect him to be a first choice. I would definitely have Souttar and Halkett ahead of him although maybe we could develop him.

JS is unlikely to ever be fit enough to plan or base a team around him. We would be foolish to plan anything around JS and need to look past him now....

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Apparently we have bid £150,000 for Adebayo.

Surely that ought to do it.... 

I actually really want this guy now, the longer this goes on. Would be very interesting to see who else was on the shortlist though. 

Maroonblood22

We’re doing them a favour if that’s true! A third of that should’ve been enough 😂

Really hope we get this over the line though.

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

£150k for a player from that league who is almost out of contract seems a bit over generous to me. 

Indeed. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

£150k for a player from that league who is almost out of contract seems a bit over generous to me. 

maybe we will face competition if left till the end of the season, maybe we are confident that he is worth much more. 

i do t care really, club finances are healthy.. all about securing this league and building a team

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Aye, it does seem a tad more than you'd think it would take. Must be one of two things...either that's the amount that Hearts have been quoted, maybe down to them wanting to keep him for a promotion push which, if worked, would earn them more money or Hearts are that desperate to get him that we are willing to pay that amount. Interesting!

32 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I thought this had already happened?? 

Yeah I thought so too... wife read it to me earlier and I asked her why she was reading news from 2 weeks ago 😄

Just now, WDJ87 said:

Yeah I thought so too... wife read it to me earlier and I asked her why she was reading news from 2 weeks ago 😄

EEN article on 1st Jan says agreed in principle. Must just be official now. 👍

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not at all, it will be worth every penny just for the seethe on h1b5.nut

20210110_121144.jpg

You can see why Andy Irving is potentially challenging the terms offered in fairness if we're chucking £150k allegedly at Walsall for someone we could get in the summer for zip.

£150k is the equivalent a well paid 18 month deal on just shy of £2k a week so fair play to him for knowing his worth. Hopefully that gets over the line with Adebayo and Gino and the remainder of the season could be looking at pre contracts if needed for anywhere else at cm or cb.

Not sure what Ross Stewart's deal is with Livingston. He came in on 2 year deal in 2018 so must have been extended. 

Will he sign for us permanently in summer?

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We all knew Tosh was a Celtic fan bit I remember him celebrating wildly when we beat them just before signing for them. Right up there with Takis for me. Those early cross field balls for Robbo were perfection as was his crossing. Didn’t get a cap until he signed for them. 
Lovely left foot, only hit one free kick that was touched to him versus Dundee Utd and hit the bar from about 40 yards. The goal at ER where Miller let it go and Goram couldnt get to it was brilliant, when we scored all the goals in a 4-1 tanking 😆

Phil D. Corners
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Agreed, but 150k for the right player is better a good deal on the wrong player. 

I felt we did the latter under levein. 

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )