Berra......

Section Q

7 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Stendal saw right through him, he’s yesterday’s man and is running on a fast running out respect from fans and other players.

Absolutely, I love CB as most of us do but Mr Stendal saw it and the lad's finished unfortunately. 

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

Bazzas right boot

Kingsley was poor at the first goal, 100% his fault.

Haring got skinned by Adam of all people on the wing, nutmegged then ran past...

The pk was soft as shite, if a pk was given forl they type of fouls, there would be 10 pk's a match.

The ref made up for the **** up when Gordon taken out Sow 10 minutes earlier.

But, aye let's blame Berra.

Just now, smiler said:

Absolutely, I love CB as most of us do but Mr Stendal saw it and the lad's finished unfortunately. 

Yeh, I posted that with a heavy heart Smiler, but my my love of Hearts has transcended many players, some good, some great and many poor, and that’s the nub of it right there for me Hearts come1st.

NB has much to offer the game, but no longer as a player sadly.

SectionDJambo

I think most of us thought that although Berra couldn’t fit into a high line, pressing game, he was still the man to defend our box from simple crosses. Tonight showed he can’t be relied on to do that anymore either.

2nd goal he completely lost the flight of a cross into our goal area, that the Berra of 2 years ago would have dealt with easily, to allow a free header. The penalty foul was just ludicrous as the ball was going way out of play. He had no idea where the ball was, he was too busy pulling the Dundee player’s jersey. Panic stations causing a cheap penalty. 
He wasn’t the only one who should find it hard to get back in the team.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Haring got skinned by Adam of all people on the wing, nutmegged then ran past...

The pk was soft as shite, if a pk was given forl they type of fouls, there would be 10 pk's a match.

It’s not blaming him. It’s asking our thick as **** club to please see the woods for the trees. Blindingly obvious that he’s past it.

The wider squad being wank is another problem altogether, but not exactly new. Ann seems dead set on her tenure being remembered for her utter ineptitude.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s not blaming him. It’s asking our thick as **** club to please see the woods for the trees. Blindingly obvious that he’s past it.

The wider squad being wank is another problem altogether, but not exactly new. Ann seems dead set on her tenure being remembered for her utter ineptitude.

He won't be here next season in any meaningful capacity.

He will play his part this season tho. Like it or Berra it.😁

This squad will win the league with ease. This summers recruitment must be an improvement tho, if Robbie gets anywhere near what he did with the first season on promotion with us, we will be more than fine and can look forward.

bigsuperslim1874
8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sorry mate but totally disagree with that. The pulling of the Dundee players jersey was utterly ridiculous - no need to do it and even if there was....try and be subtle at least. It killed any hopes of getting a point and these brain farts are becoming more regular.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Sorry mate but totally disagree with that. The pulling of the Dundee players jersey was utterly ridiculous - no need to do it and even if there was....try and be subtle at least. It killed any hopes of getting a point and these brain farts are becoming more regular.

50/50, it happens all the time, rarley is a pk given.

He won't be here in any meaningful way next season but as above, he'll play his part this season.

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

50/50, it happens all the time, rarley is a pk given.

He won't be here in any meaningful way next season but as above, he'll play his part this season.

This!

Folk just waiting to ponce on anything. He's played well recently, had a shite game tonight but he certainly wasn't the only one. 

Stendelnator

Berra weakens the entire team because he can’t pass or dribble and as such they have to come out of position to try and help him. Dundee cut off our supply lines to everyone but him tonight. 

No he wasn’t at fault for the first two goals but his sheer presence causes anxiety in the side. 

1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

Berra weakens the entire team because he can’t pass or dribble and as such they have to come out of position to try and help him. Dundee cut off our supply lines to everyone but him tonight. 

No he wasn’t at fault for the first two goals but his sheer presence causes anxiety in the side. 

Exactly this. When Smith available put him in at centre half, persevere with Brandon at right back (who I thought had a decent game tonight) for rest of season and he Must build the midfield around Irving. 

In the past his strength was attacking high balls into the penalty area, he is not even dominant with high balls now and is regularly beaten in the air , he doesn’t now seem to be able to move his feet quickly enough to defend properly and the pulling of shirts and clumsy tackling is costing us now. 
we have lost only two less goals than the bottom team in the league, when you consider we have a keeper as good as Craig Gordon then that’s a real problem imo

9 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Berra had a hold of the boys top 🤷‍♂️ Then proceeded to run into the other guy, soft but still a pen 

Mr Brightside
9 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think most of us thought that although Berra couldn’t fit into a high line, pressing game, he was still the man to defend our box from simple crosses. Tonight showed he can’t be relied on to do that anymore either.

2nd goal he completely lost the flight of a cross into our goal area, that the Berra of 2 years ago would have dealt with easily, to allow a free header. The penalty foul was just ludicrous as the ball was going way out of play. He had no idea where the ball was, he was too busy pulling the Dundee player’s jersey. Panic stations causing a cheap penalty. 
He wasn’t the only one who should find it hard to get back in the team.

Second goal wasn’t Berra’s fault. He is tight to Sow the whole time, someone else should have been picking up Mullen.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, sam? said:

Berra had a hold of the boys top 🤷‍♂️ Then proceeded to run into the other guy, soft but still a pen 

That's what I said. 

1 hour ago, chazza74 said:

In the past his strength was attacking high balls into the penalty area, he is not even dominant with high balls now and is regularly beaten in the air , he doesn’t now seem to be able to move his feet quickly enough to defend properly and the pulling of shirts and clumsy tackling is costing us now. 
we have lost only two less goals than the bottom team in the league, when you consider we have a keeper as good as Craig Gordon then that’s a real problem imo

Yeah it's bizarre that the injury seems to have robbed him of those qualities.

It's almost a year since we kept a clean sheet at home!

HEARTS FOREVER

Berra screams panic in our team, he's all over the place, running about like his pants are on fire. He needs to go and he needs to go now. He was a big factor in our demotion and why we still have him in our team bewilders me. He should have the decency to realise this himself and hang up his boots.....but more importantly if  Robbie can't see this then I question his leaderships skills to take this club forward. Its as clear day this ffs.

His first touch has gone and the aimless launching up the park just gives the ball back to the opposition and puts everyone on the back foot. Sad to say it but I generally agree he needs to provide cover and just play the odd match now 😞

Gordon Ramsay

He doesn't seem to be in control of his legs. It's like someone's chopped his off and attached someone else's and he doesn't know how to work them. 

I like the big guy but he can't run. His times up. 

It is clear that Berra is nowhere near as good as he once was, however he can never be criticised for effort - unlike some of the wage thieves both past and present we've managed to sign. Some of the comments regarding a proud Hearts player/ ex captain are excruciating. He probably should consider retiring, but the crucifiers should remember he is as proud a Hearts man as any one of us

Ex member of the SaS

For me Berra is past it but he's not the only problem. Neither Berra or Halkett can carry the ball forward and make a telling pass. Halkett is far too slow and ponderous. Having singled out these two they are, by far, not the only problem. Tactics are also causing us to play poorly. We need to get forward more and attack them when they have the ball in their own half. It worked against Celtic and should be used more against these teams. Not one of their players could have handled us getting in their faces.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Second goal wasn’t Berra’s fault. He is tight to Sow the whole time, someone else should have been picking up Mullen.

In my opinion, the Berra of 2 years ago would have cleared that danger easily. It was a free header in our 6 yard box, as we used to call it. Berra was positioned in there and could have dealt with it. He hasn’t been the same player since his bad injury. 

You are correct, though, in saying that nobody else picked up Mullen either. And the catalogue of half hearted tackles, before the cross came in, didn’t help.

Berra wasn’t the only issue last night but it was obvious Dundee were leaving him free and on the ball as he can’t use it. He is past it, not mobile has no touch and isn’t the same player in the air. He is also very quick to blame other players. This isn’t based on last night I’ve thought this since last season. He needs replaced but that’s not our only issue. 

Berra isn’t the problem ffs. We are happy to pass the ball about without doing **** all with it. We then end up getting pressed the shit out of by any half decent team deep inside our own half. We’ve no out ball, no pace to counter them and maybe one player who can hold up the ball well. 

Poor last night but if midfield don’t show for the ball then he’s left to boot it up the park to no one.  The set up all wrong and Robbie should have changed it after 10 minutes.  Another issue with CB is he tries to hard to get the team moving but doesn’t have the engine anymore.  I don’t think we’ll see CB next season but in this pishy league he still has a part to play.

3 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Correct. Watch Halkett notice Mullen and be like "**** it, no my problem". 

I’ve not read the entire thread but the vast majority on here can see (as unfortunate as it is) that Berra is finished. This was spotted by most of us well over a year ago. This mentality of “he’ll do just now for this league” is so wrong in my opinion. We should be building a team that can compete for the top six next season now. Not come the end of the season. You’ll then hear the same excuses “we are trying to build a team”, “ few of the boys are trying to settle in”, “its not easy to for new faces to gel straight away” blah blah blah. We are so short sighted it’s ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

I’ve not read the entire thread but the vast majority on here can see (as unfortunate as it is) that Berra is finished. This was spotted by most of us well over a year ago. This mentality of “he’ll do just now for this league” is so wrong in my opinion. We should be building a team that can compete for the top six next season now. Not come the end of the season. You’ll then hear the same excuses “we are trying to build a team”, “ few of the boys are trying to settle in”, “its not easy to for new faces to gel straight away” blah blah blah. We are so short sighted it’s ridiculous.

I think the only person who doesn't know it is Berra himself...

Ex member of the SaS

For me Berra is past it and should only be used in desperation. As stated he is not the only problem, but his inability to move the ball is a big problem. One instance last night he had the ball in the center circle and moved over the the left, they closed him down and all he had was a dodgy pass to the line, they also had that covered, and it meant a struggle and a backward pass the nearly cost us a goal.

Forward movement and the movement of those up front is a problem and as I have said before, not enough players in the box to attack any cross or incoming ball.

You won't ( or hardly ever ) score with one player in the box and three or four defending. We need to press forward with more players busting a gut to get into a scoring position. How hard is it to play the same against these diddy teams as we did against Celtic? Is it the players are only up for the big games?

Something must be done to get these players motivated. Play poorly and it's two days down Gullane sand dunes, that would separate the men from the boys.

Stendelnator

Dundee’s tactic was to force our play to let him have the ball, and then when he had it, press him aggressively so he had no options. If we had a better player there, we could play our way out of it. It’s very simple. 

Charlie Adam even said their tactics involved Berra last night. 

Ex member of the SaS
26 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

The only thing Levein did right was his plan to build a team from the young guys. Unfortunately he went about it all wrong, there is no point buying players at the start of next season and expect then to gell as a team straight away. The problem lies in getting good players to commit to the Championship with a view to building for next season. Start now and identify players who will do what we want, and hopefully get a decent start next season so that we can ignore any relegation threat and build for the season after. The problems we have won't disappear over night so we need to start NOW to identify who the problem players are and get them moved on.

maroonlegions
14 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

His moronic flying up of both his arms that gave the pen away in the final was just as bad, he is a 100% liability. There was a valid reason why he was punted to Dundee.

12 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Correct. Halkett is constantly having to help/bail him out, which reduces his effectiveness. Berra was closed down quickly in the first half which resulted in bad passes or hoof ball to no one.

Get popescu on & give him a chance. Berra will not be playing with us next season so why play him?

A_A wehatethehibs
47 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Dundee’s tactic was to force our play to let him have the ball, and then when he had it, press him aggressively so he had no options. If we had a better player there, we could play our way out of it. It’s very simple. 

Charlie Adam even said their tactics involved Berra last night. 

Can only hope neilson picks up on this quickly. Continuing with Berra was the end of Leveins management career because that same tactic was occurring on a weekly basis and our opponents profited. I thought Berra had enough in the tank for a season in this level and then thank him for his service. But last night cast doubt on that I would certainly be putting Popescu in for the next game 

44 minutes ago, Marvin said:

2 cup finals and last night Berra has cost us. Get rid.

Plus a few own goals last season and numerous occasions of getting beat by a high ball over him to a quick forward. 

Berra isn’t very good anymore but Halkett is struggling too

Time to break them up. They have had enough chances and failed

Will say this on Berra. He’s done well in home games and against Celtic (minus pen).I slightly disagree with the ‘he’s finished’ narrative 

I think he’d be fine if a) next to a top quality CB (pre injury Souttar) and b) a midfield that can protect him and take the ball with confidence 

Put Berra next to a fully fit Souttar with Irving and fully fit Haring in front he’d be absolutely fine. 

Without all that we need to buy an actual centre half but we aren’t really good at that either

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

The only thing Levein did right was his plan to build a team from the young guys. Unfortunately he went about it all wrong, there is no point buying players at the start of next season and expect then to gell as a team straight away. The problem lies in getting good players to commit to the Championship with a view to building for next season. Start now and identify players who will do what we want, and hopefully get a decent start next season so that we can ignore any relegation threat and build for the season after. The problems we have won't disappear over night so we need to start NOW to identify who the problem players are and get them moved on.

Exactly 

Berra has been a great servant to Hearts and in his day second to none as a no nonsense centre half. However all things come to an end and he has reached the end of the road. lets try and debate it with a bit of respect for the guy and without insulting him. 

Ex member of the SaS
54 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Will say this on Berra. He’s done well in home games and against Celtic (minus pen).I slightly disagree with the ‘he’s finished’ narrative 

I think he’d be fine if a) next to a top quality CB (pre injury Souttar) and b) a midfield that can protect him and take the ball with confidence 

Put Berra next to a fully fit Souttar with Irving and fully fit Haring in front he’d be absolutely fine. 

Without all that we need to buy an actual centre half but we aren’t really good at that either

In other words allow him to become a passenger and get the others to do the hard work. Sorry but we need EVERY player to give 100%.

I agree Berra has been a great player for us and he deserves all the respect, however like Levein he will end up being the bogyman and the fans will turn on him and all respect will have gone. He should know himself where his frailties lie and either step down or try to address them.

Everyone agrees a players life is short lived and he has run his course. He will find a team in the lower league that will benefit from his experience but unfortunately his time with us has ended.

I have said before he is not the only problem and is nowhere near the scapegoat for that result, but he needs to wise up and let the manager know he has come to the end of his career with us.

While Berra was none to clever at second goal what the actual was Brandon doing or not doing to close Adam down? After he's megged Haring and got to bye line if Brandon even jogs he can cut out the cross.

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

Berra has been a great servant to Hearts and in his day second to none as a no nonsense centre half. However all things come to an end and he has reached the end of the road. lets try and debate it with a bit of respect for the guy and without insulting him. 

Should have been retired this season but now being remembered by a lot of fans for all the wrong reasons.

Berra to me has been a great player for us he has given 100% but unfortunately his legs just don’t have it anymore it’s as simple as that .

Just shows you how shite Pospecu is if he can't a game in front of Berra. 

Part one of three horrendous signings along with Frear and Roberts. 

Kidd’s Boots
2 hours ago, R1874 said:

For me, this sums up the thinking of our management team also. If we put enough players around him to bail him out when he's under pressure then he will be fine. This is no reason to keep him in the firs team when 3 teammates are required to cover his errors. In his first game back replacing Popescu, Kingsley was never any further forward than 5 yards to give Berra the simple out ball and confidence to play it. We cannot continue to set up like that, even at this level just for the sake of keeping Berra in the team. My final thought on Berra is that he is no longer a positive influence on the team, and as good a servant as he has been to the club, he must be replaced. 

47 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Just shows you how shite Pospecu is if he can't a game in front of Berra. 

Part one of three horrendous signings along with Frear and Roberts. 

All Robbie's.

5 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

All Robbie's.

Exactly. 

Now a new window awaits. 

To say that we need to improve the signings dramatically is a rather big understatement.