Berra......

Section Q

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

He shoots (row z) like a DM. :) 

He seems to go forward once or twice a game, but mostly sits in - he isn't making forward runs with the ball like Walker, Ginnelly or Naismith.

I know he’s useless as an attacking midfielder, he can’t tackle or track runners either. Big hun though so 👍🏽👏🏾🙈
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/andy-hallidays-hearts-secret-weapon-19341955

Edited by Pasquale for King

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

Barney bulge

Go all out to get Declan Gallagher on a pre contract for next season. Give him Berra Walker and damours salary combined !!! 
that should put us in with a shout of beating other interest in him.

pity we didn’t take him aswell  when we got halkett. 

HEARTS FOREVER
On 03/01/2021 at 23:06, Smith's right boot said:

Dunno, but stendel made his changes that included punting Berra and we went on a good run and got out of the relegation spot. 

Oh wait, we didn't. We actually fell into the relegation spot. 

Whats that got to do with Berra? 🤣

Berra took us to the stendel point soft lad and played a big part in why we went down and ran about like a diddy the other night.....and if u can't see that then what can I say.

I kind of feel a wee tinge of sadness over Berra.....He's had a career that nobody, with exception to Naismith and Gordon has had. Never blessed with natural talent, but a good honest pro. Good enough to play at the highest level.

For all that he blotted his copybook for me with that ill advised interview at the Oriam when Stendel decided that his time was up.
He should have took it on the chin and maintained his dignity and gone about his business.

But, he's back and playing regular 1st team football again. You can see that he probably try's harder than most everyone else on the park. so lack of effort and application cannot be apportioned onto him!

He is finished though, every dog has its day and Berra's race has been run. Unfortunately we do not have an "out and out" replacement, therefore Neilson has no option other than to keep playing him!.....Popescu should have been the answer, but that has not been the success we all hoped for!

And FWIW....I don't believe that all our defensive frailties are down to Berra alone!....The set up, lack of mobility, closing down opposition quicker creates defensive issues. 

However, it just go's to show how far we have sunk from a footballing perspective that we need to heavily rely on a guy who's career was effectively finished that day he injured himself against Celtic.

Edited by Hashimoto

1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

I kind of feel a wee tinge of sadness over Berra.....He's had a career that nobody, with exception to Naismith and Gordon has had. Never blessed with natural talent, but a good honest pro. Good enough to play at the highest level.

For all that he blotted his copybook for me with that ill advised interview at the Oriam when Stendel decided that his time was up.
He should have took it on the chin and maintained his dignity and gone about his business.

But, he's back and playing regular 1st team football again. You can see that he probably try's harder than most everyone else on the park. so lack of effort and application cannot be apportioned onto him!

He is finished though, every dog has its day and Berra's race has been run. Unfortunately we do not have an "out and out" replacement, therefore Neilson has no option other than to keep playing him!.....Popescu should have been the answer, but that has not been the success we all hoped for!

And FWIW....I don't believe that all our defensive frailties are down to Berra alone!....The set up, lack of mobility, closing down opposition quicker creates defensive issues. 

However, it just go's to show how far we have sunk from a footballing perspective that we need to heavily rely on a guy who's career was effectively finished that day he injured himself against Celtic.

What I find worrying is the fact that Neilson brought him back from Dundee where I felt he had probably found his true level which had helped him recover from the massive body-blow that Daniel had delivered in telling him he was no longer good enough for Hearts. But bring him back he did and to add insult to injury to Berra, the fans and his fellow players he makes him playing captain. What sort of a message did all of that send out? I find it hard to push any blame towards Berra - he will always do his best. He's just finished.

Make no mistake, the man currently in charge is the greatest worry for us and some of his recent signings and team selections have caused many of us some concern. I doubt I need mention particular cases - they're well accepted by most. However, one stands head and shoulders above the rest - Andy Irving. If we lose that lad due to poor man-management I'll never forgive the club.

Hopefully, Joe Savage can quickly inject some sanity into the situation.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 hours ago, JohnB said:

What I find worrying is the fact that Neilson brought him back from Dundee where I felt he had probably found his true level which had helped him recover from the massive body-blow that Daniel had delivered in telling him he was no longer good enough for Hearts. But bring him back he did and to add insult to injury to Berra, the fans and his fellow players he makes him playing captain. What sort of a message did all of that send out? I find it hard to push any blame towards Berra - he will always do his best. He's just finished.

Make no mistake, the man currently in charge is the greatest worry for us and some of his recent signings and team selections have caused many of us some concern. I doubt I need mention particular cases - they're well accepted by most. However, one stands head and shoulders above the rest - Andy Irving. If we lose that lad due to poor man-management I'll never forgive the club.

Neilson will be useless once we get out of this division. But not a chance Budge will take the smart decision by replacing him. Whereas she gave Stendel about two weeks before giving up on him, she’d happily let Neilson stick around for years regardless of results.

I would rather have 11 Berra type players in my team than most of the useless players we have right now. He gives his all and is involved in everything on the park, sure he makes mistakes when he is so heavily involved not like a lot of the hiders on the Jambo's  team

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, dcupples said:

I would rather have 11 Berra type players in my team than most of the useless players we have right now. He gives his all and is involved in everything on the park, sure he makes mistakes when he is so heavily involved not like a lot of the hiders on the Jambo's  team

11 Berras would be the team from hell. Honestly the most abysmal side ever.

I’d rather have 11 lampposts

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I think he is meaning some of the players don’t have the attitude and passion to win Berra has, he gives 100% .But unfortunately he is finished at this level imo just to slow.

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Neilson will be useless once we get out of this division. But not a chance Budge will take the smart decision by replacing him. Whereas she gave Stendel about two weeks before giving up on him, she’d happily let Neilson stick around for years regardless of results.

How did Neilson get on last time he managed a premiership team?

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Stop being positive. We need to criticise our players, staff and club while praising everyone and anyone at other clubs, particularly Hibs. 

Hearts Forum this, although you would never guess. 

airdriejambo3
9 hours ago, JohnB said:

Berra isn't captain Naismith is.

20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Stop being positive. We need to criticise our players, staff and club while praising everyone and anyone at other clubs, particularly Hibs. 

I'll get the plane hire sorted then. Can't wait to get back to Tynecastle to join in all the booing.

52 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

He came 3rd with a league without Rangers and Hibs in it, so going by your highly held opinion of him this should be no problem whatsoever when we return. 

3rd place is a gimme and anything less would be a failure. 

Your the one blowing his trumpet when it's most evidently to see both Rangers and Hibs were pish, have improved alot since that time. 

And we came third to possibly one of the worst Scottish Premiership in history, a team that was managed by delia a bus 😂😂

52 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Boring. 

Craig Herbertson

Stendel dropped Berra because he wanted to play a typical high press German game. It's not a game for older players. You have a sweeper keeper and the ball is going to be going over your head and you need speed and stamina. I don't think Stendel thought Berra was finished. Germans don't generally go for sentiment. He probably thought that he didn't suit his game plan.

2 hours ago, dcupples said:

We already have around 7 lampposts in the team right now!

Definetly three at Dens Park. 

Haring, Lee and Halliday did lamppost impressions expertly in the first half. 😏 

Pasquale for King
On 04/01/2021 at 10:00, Barney bulge said:

Go all out to get Declan Gallagher on a pre contract for next season. Give him Berra Walker and damours salary combined !!! 
that should put us in with a shout of beating other interest in him.

pity we didn’t take him INSTEAD of halkett. 

FTFY

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Of course you're correct - how I got that wrong I don't know.

He did captain the team for the whole game the other week when Halkett started and when Naismith came on against Ayr. 

47 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He did captain the team for the whole game the other week when Halkett started and when Naismith came on against Ayr. 

Thanks for that mate. I feel a bit better now that you've reminded me of these occasions which were obviously what influenced me -  I thought I was losing the plot.

14 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We would give away 11 penalties a game and everyone of them would be out of position 😂

Edited by Herbert

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

We would give away 11 penalties a game and everyone of them would be out of position 😂

Just think of the amount of punts up the park our 11 Christophe's would deliver, shuddering. 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He came 3rd with a league without Rangers and Hibs in it, so going by your highly held opinion of him this should be no problem whatsoever when we return. 

3rd place is a gimme and anything less would be a failure. 

Your the one blowing his trumpet when it's most evidently to see both Rangers and Hibs were pish, have improved alot since that time. 

And we came third to possibly one of the worst Scottish Premiership in history, a team that was managed by delia a bus 😂😂

3rd place is a gimme... while championing a manager who taken us from 11th to 12th.

unnamed (1).jpg

Some of the comments on this thread are unbelievably disrespectful to a great servant to Heart of Midlothian, it's embarrassing that guys who've probably never kicked a ball in their life who profess to be Hearts fans can come away with some of this shite. I'll put the mortgage on it if they came face to face with big Christophe they not utter a word to him.

There's no denying he's in the twilight of his career (a very successful one) but we're in the championship and he's giving it his all to get us up. I doubt he expects to play much next season and may even call it a day.

He's all we've got right now unless we sign someone in this window or we switch Harring back to CH, so we'll just need to get on with it until the summer.

Sorry but lumping the ball aimlessly up the park isn't "giving it all" for the club. His decision making is putting the team on the back foot constantly.

14 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

and I can't believe no one's mentioned that we need to empty the office staff and replace them with people who constantly scowl and shout at everyone. 

how soon forgotten...

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Some of the comments on this thread are unbelievably disrespectful to a great servant to Heart of Midlothian, it's embarrassing that guys who've probably never kicked a ball in their life who profess to be Hearts fans can come away with some of this shite. I'll put the mortgage on it if they came face to face with big Christophe they not utter a word to him.

There's no denying he's in the twilight of his career (a very successful one) but we're in the championship and he's giving it his all to get us up. I doubt he expects to play much next season and may even call it a day.

He's all we've got right now unless we sign someone in this window or we switch Harring back to CH, so we'll just need to get on with it until the summer.

If you look at some of his interviews about being written off last year I think he will continue to play next season, it might be in this league though.
His fitness levels are good so he should play on and could do for a few years yet. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/lot-people-are-writing-me-hearts-christophe-berra-answers-critics-3047178

24 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

and I can't believe no one's mentioned that we need to empty the office staff and replace them with people who constantly scowl and shout at everyone. 

how soon forgotten...

I'd definitely replace the "Hiya Hun, good tae hae ye back Robbie!" one

She certainly loved a camera shot....don't know why? 

23 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

I'd definitely replace the "Hiya Hun, good tae hae ye back Robbie!" one

She certainly loved a camera shot....don't know why? 

and replace with someone who greeted him with "ugh....woh you doing back?!!"

great working atmos :)

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

Good post. 

It's not Berras fault he is getting picked. 

You can see he is past his best but always gives 100 per cent and has been a very good servant to the club. 

He gave a damn sight more effort than most of that team did on Saturday first half, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

That's all well and good and as I've said before I love CB as much as the next man.

However, do you accept that he's now finished and has become a bit of a liability? 

A_A wehatethehibs
50 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If you look at some of his interviews about being written off last year I think he will continue to play next season, it might be in this league though.
His fitness levels are good so he should play on and could do for a few years yet. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/lot-people-are-writing-me-hearts-christophe-berra-answers-critics-3047178

Not sure, depends on the club. A lot of the smaller clubs are trying to play good football as well these days, so he’d be shite there as well. If Tommy Wright gets the Motherwell job I’d imagine he’d make Berra a top target. But he’s no use to any good footballing side at any level. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Not sure, depends on the club. A lot of the smaller clubs are trying to play good football as well these days, so he’d be shite there as well. If Tommy Wright gets the Motherwell job I’d imagine he’d make Berra a top target. But he’s no use to any good footballing side at any level. 

Fair point, Dundee took him last season and they might again for instance. 

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

The guy is costing us points and he cost us the cup. He's a bombscare , It's people like you living in the past that are dragging us down.

29 minutes ago, smiler said:

That's all well and good and as I've said before I love CB as much as the next man.

However, do you accept that he's now finished and has become a bit of a liability? 

No I don't think he's finished at this level, however we need to recognise his limitations now and play to our strengths, one of those is certainly not leaving Berra isolated with or without the ball. 

One of my critisms of Hearts under a number of managers recently is we always look to play the opposition not our own game and to our strengths. 

Teams know Berra isn't a great  passer of a ball so they push onto the spare men and force him to play it, no one drops in for him or gives him an easy option. So why continue to do this baffles me.

I watched Livi against Hibs highlights and there's a limited team who mix it, keep it simple and play to their strengths no matter no they play. 

4 minutes ago, Herbert said:

The guy is costing us points and he cost us the cup. He's a bombscare , It's people like you living in the past that are dragging us down.

No sir I'm living in the real world, we have 3 fit centre halves and 2 part time centre halves, Smith and Harring are our best two best players in their positions so we're left with Popescu Halkett and Berra unless you fancy big JiG having a go at centre half? So what do you propose we do just play with Halkett because Berra and Popescu aren't good enough?

11 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

No sir I'm living in the real world, we have 3 fit centre halves and 2 part time centre halves, Smith and Harring are our best two best players in their positions so we're left with Popescu Halkett and Berra unless you fancy big JiG having a go at centre half? So what do you propose we do just play with Halkett because Berra and Popescu aren't good enough?

We play smith at cb and brandon at RB. He was our best player against dundee. Our "part time" CBs are better than berra. The guy is costing us week after week. His interview when he got punted to dundee should have been enough to cement his fate at the club. 

19 minutes ago, Herbert said:

We play smith at cb and brandon at RB. He was our best player against dundee. Our "part time" CBs are better than berra. The guy is costing us week after week. His interview when he got punted to dundee should have been enough to cement his fate at the club. 

Ah ok so you don't like him for his comments. Ok mate👍

None of our current centerhalfs are good enough to play for Hearts as a top 4 team in the SPL.

Berra’s past it. Popescu's not good enough. Halkett's not a bad footballer but he makes too many mistakes to play for us. 

Souttar could be quality but the boys never managed to complete a season without serious injury and who knows if he could ever get back to a high level. 

We need at a bare minimum, two new top notch centerhalfs next season. 

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Ah ok so you don't like him for his comments. Ok mate👍

Your obviously blind to his shambolic performances.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, smiler said:

Just think of the amount of punts up the park our 11 Christophe's would deliver, shuddering. 

burst-adidas-finale-capitano-football-G3XKAF.jpg

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

None of our current centerhalfs are good enough to play for Hearts as a top 4 team in the SPL.

Berra’s past it. Popescu's not good enough. Halkett's not a bad footballer but he makes too many mistakes to play for us. 

Souttar could be quality but the boys never managed to complete a season without serious injury and who knows if he could ever get back to a high level. 

We need at a bare minimum, two new top notch centerhalfs next season. 

We think alike 👍

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

Your obviously blind to his shambolic performances.

Football is a team game, we only play as a team in patches. There's too many happy to pass the buck and hope someone else does it for them. 

Berra is good enough for this level for this season, but we need to adjust the way we play and just leave him to defend, or get a replacement in this window. 

Moving Smith from full back would be a terrible decision, Harring out of midfield isn't great either. We need Halkett to step up and take more responsibility and the likes of Halliday to use their experience. Berra has made mistakes I've watched them like you have but we absolutely do not help ourselves leaving him exposed so often.

The mentality of most of our squad isnt that of winners, it's more a turn up when they can be bothered and when they can't leave it to someone else. The exceptions being Berra Smith Boyce Kingsley and Harring but they can't do it all by themselves.

3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Football is a team game, we only play as a team in patches. There's too many happy to pass the buck and hope someone else does it for them. 

Berra is good enough for this level for this season, but we need to adjust the way we play and just leave him to defend, or get a replacement in this window. 

Moving Smith from full back would be a terrible decision, Harring out of midfield isn't great either. We need Halkett to step up and take more responsibility and the likes of Halliday to use their experience. Berra has made mistakes I've watched them like you have but we absolutely do not help ourselves leaving him exposed so often.

The mentality of most of our squad isnt that of winners, it's more a turn up when they can be bothered and when they can't leave it to someone else. The exceptions being Berra Smith Boyce Kingsley and Harring but they can't do it all by themselves.

Berra isn't good enough, have you missed the amount of goals we are losing this year? Were only on top because we can score more. Berra is dragging the team down with constant fouls, giving away penalties and own goals(how many last season?) He is easy to play against and now he's making it easier by being miles out of position thinking he's a winger or striker. He should be binned before he costs us more points or another cup.